iZombie's Bradley James on Lowell and Liv's (Doomed?) Romance, Blaine Link

iZombie Season 1 Spoilers Lowell Liv

If iZombie‘s cliffhanger ending last week left you worried about the state of Lowell and Liv’s relationship, you are perfectly justified in your concern.

After discovering that baddie Blaine is her beau’s brain dealer, this Tuesday’s episode (The CW, 9/8c) brings an even more disturbing revelation for Liv: “Lowell and Blaine are old friends,” actor Bradley James tells TVLine, so perhaps his girlfriend should have expected this twist. After all, “The zombie community, I don’t think it’s that large,” James adds.

Couple this latest plot development with the fact that James is a recurring guest star (and the foreboding preview below), and we have to wonder if Liv and Lowell’s undead romance is built to last. Or is it doomed to fail because of what they are?

“There’s a much grander question there about love in general, surely,” the actor replies. “But I suppose the zombie factor does increase that intensity. I would say that – unless you’re the writer of the show – there is no set path for love.”

What started out as something that James thought would be a one-episode gig got extended when producers saw the chemistry between the Merlin alum and star Rose McIver — not that the humble actor thinks he in any way contributed to that decision.

“Rather than that being a result of me having done anything good,” he says, “they probably had it in their minds that they were going to [keep] Lowell for much longer, unless I turned out to be absolutely terrible and then it would have just been one episode.” (No possible way. As executive producer Rob Thomas previously told TVLine, “We knew from the moment we saw Liv and Lowell on screen that Lowell wasn’t going away anytime soon.”)

Viewers have fallen for Lowell, too — possibly even more so than Liv’s ex-fiancé Major — as the heroine has found herself taken by the British rocker zombie. But James acknowledges, “Major’s endgame. I think everyone’s aware of that.”

“It would probably be a bit dull for Rob [Buckley] if he just found himself being the straightforward love interest in that way,” he continues. “He’s more talented than that, and that’s why they explore different avenues to his storyline, which I think will really have a payoff for the fans later on.”

iZombie fans, who do you hope wins Liv’s heart: Lowell or Major? (Or perhaps you’re Team Ravi or Blaine?)

1. Kristina says:

I knew he looked familiar! I do hope they keep him around for a while. Robert Buckley is great and all but I’m not in love with his character.

2. Rachel says:

I like the Ravi and Liv friendship. Please don’t go there with them!

3. Abby says:

I’m loving Lowell and Liv but I’m not sure how they are going to get around Blaine being his brain dealer to keep them a viable couple because we know because he will also get the zombie flashes after eating someone’s brains so he has to know he is eating murdered kids to stay alive. Even if he has never got such an obvious flash as the one Liv got it’s a very hard sell that he wouldn’t have worked out something wasn’t kosher when all his flashes were of the lives of young healthy kids.

4. jrex says:

Major.

5. Alichat says:

Wallace!!! Yay!! Ok, was it the lighting or was there a hint of white beginning to appear in Ravi’s hair?

6. Valentina says:

Rob Thomas does it again: in VM Duncan was supposed to be Veronica’s one and then everybody fell in love with Logan and Veronica. Here Major seems to be turning out as dull as Duncan while everybody falls in love with Liv and Lowell.

• Jeri says:

Yes. This is exactly how I feel. I can’t speak for anybody else, but Major just doesn’t seem interesting with Liv. Lowell and Liv are at least interesting.

• Jeri says:

Forgot to add that on the upside, Major may be the intended end game, but unlike some showrunners, Thomas has proven he’s willing to make changes to his initial long-term plans if it makes sense for the show.

• Isobel says:

I guess its a Laurel on Arrow type thing, it usually happens to female characters being mainly just the love interest and the fans liking another character with more depth

• Ashley says:

I think if the romance is written well and there’s chemistry, it will sell. That’s why people like Oliver/Felicity. So it depends on the character. Major and Liv have no chemistry that I feel so far. And Major is dull, as others have complained. I would rather that they had shown us Liv as she falls for someone, not just say she’s in love with this guy, like it. It’s no fun that way.And Liv is ALWAYS saying she’s sorry to Major, it drives me crazy. It seems like she puts him on a pedestal. She’s the one who got turned into a zombie and can’t tell anyone!

• Tai says:

Yes!! That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking this whole time. It’s another Logan versus Duncan situation. Here’s hoping they keep Lowell around. I really enjoy the chemistry between him and Liv. I just don’t see it with Major.

7. Jared says:

Quick question. Has Major turned into a Zombie? The last episode I thought they were hinting around it and throwing in some subtle clues but now im not so sure. Did anyone else get that?

8. Victoria says:

Lowell but I fear he and Liv are headed for some rocky times.

9. jc says:

They have to keep lowell or else I’m gone. I like livwell and without it this show will becomes so boring.

10. Ashley says:

I prefer Liv with Lowell but if they find her another option I’d be willing to see how it goes.

I just don’t like her with Major. 1) Feel no chemistry so far 2) Major has no charisma as a character 3) Most importantly, I HATE when shows don’t show you HOW a couple falls in love, they just tell you this person loves that one, root for them. Why did they make them engaged from the start? They should have had Liv meet Major after she became a zombie, and tried to create more chemistry between them.

• rowan77 says:

There is definitely chemistry between Liv and Major, but since we only got to seem them together as a romantic couple in one short scene, it’s been pushed into a more besties vibe. Lowell and Liv are hots together. I hope he returns periodically.

And can I just say Bradley James’ typically British modesty about why he was bumped up to recurring makes him even sexier.

11. makparis says:

I like Major and all, he seems like this nice guy, but there is no competing with the chemistry between Lowell and Liv. I am enjoying Major’s storyline, I just don’t like him as a possibility for Liv. It doesn’t hurt that Lowell is played by Bradley James. I love Merlin and I’m still waiting for a follow up movie.

12. AddieM says:

Major’s just so lovable not to mention he’s a social worker who really cares about people but his character is a tad boring.
    I love Liv and Lowell together, they have great chemistry and are fun to watch but the fact that he’s associated with Blaine is just a no no. I would love to hear his defense because at this point I think he’s just as guilty as Blaine.I’m really hoping this show does not become about ‘ships’, we have enough of that already on CW.
    Clive was funny in the first couple of episodes, I hope they bring that humor back and he has the funniest facial expressions.
    I just do not like the actor who plays Blaine, ever since he was on TVD.
    I could listen to Ravi and Lowell talk all day, that accent is amazing

• Victoria says:

I’d like to hear Lowell’s defense as well. To be fair, Liv has an easy access to brains that other zombies would er kill for. Look how Jackie reacted when her brain takeout came sans brains. If they don’t get brains, it appears they irreversibly go full zombie. Sooo, Liv being super-righteous while being unwilling to acknowledge what her zombie brethren have to deal with is a little hmm. Although, granted knowing that Blaine killed people that her ex-fiance cared about may make Liv particularly unforgiving.

Anyone else picking up on the irony of her condemning vigilante justice in the fifth episode and now she’s going full on vigilante? Methinks Rob Thomas knows exactly what he’s setting up.

• Ashley says:

The show is not about ships but people can watch for whatever reason they want to. They don’t care why you watch as long as you do. And for me, personally, a lacklaster central romance makes the show less interesting. I dislike Liv with major because of lack of chemistry and because she turns into a different person around him, very overly apologetic, which I find sad and not right at all, like she’s trying to hang onto her planned life. She shouldn’t be apologizing, she’s the one that had her life turned upside down, it wasn’t her choice.

If they find a way to convince me that Major is the one and make him more interesting, then I’m open to changing my mind. Right now he’s a nice guy but I don’t like who Liv is around him. I think she can do better.

13. onlyakb says:

yaaay Wallace dropping by iZombie cool!!

14. Ricky Lee Jones says:

Bradley is much hotter with dark hair. I didn’t recognize him from Merlin

15. Lizo says:

I’m adoring Lowell. I don’t really care for an endgame type thing. With Veronica Mars, Logan/Veronica just kinda presented itself and the writers followed what developed organically. Which is what I like best for my tv romances.
    This is Liv’s story. Liv and Ravie being Science Besties. I’m okay with Major, he’s a legit decent man and in the end if he and Liv can be together again, cool. In the meantime, keep Lowell around.

16. Charissa29 says:

Lowell, like Logan, is vastly more interesting with Liv. Nothing to do with who is better actor, it is just chemistry and interest.

17. Andrea says:

Od dekoracji możemy wyjść dalej i prędzej czy później zacząć zmieniać całą stylistykę domu na francuską.

18. Merlin says:

I really hope Lowell stays. But Bradley James has been cast lead in another TV show. So I don’t think they’ll keep him around…

19. Lindsey says:

I like Major, but I have been loving Lowell. I hope he sticks around for a while!

20. Gerald says:

No mention of Bradley being the star of another series currently filming called “Damien”. Hopefully he can do both.
    I really do like Lowell. But I really like Major too. His character is a good one, love how he is caring for the street youth, and love that he is investigating (and doing a good job) about their disappearances.
    As for the Veronica Mars comparisons. I was never a Logan fan and hated that they switched the end game. Maybe some people saw chemistry between them, but he was still a horrible person, VM deserved better. So far Major and Lowell both seem pretty decent.
    I can’t help but compare Wallace and Babineaux. Both actors seem too small and short for the roles they were cast in. Just saying.

21. char says:

Major can be series finale end game but Lowell can be “as-long-as-I’m-a-zombie” true love romance for many many seasons. Please!

22. Jessica says:

But they killed him. How can he stay

• pam says:

I’m hoping they didn’t. Between the scene showing how many times Candy man got shot in the chest and walked away…we only heard a gun shot where Lowell is concerned. It didn’t show him actually getting shot or where. Here’s to hoping the writer’s are merciful to us poor fans and won’t deprive us of a happy ending for Lowell and Liv.

23. pam says:

I’m sad about the ending of tonight’s episode. I sincerely hope they have not killed Lowell off. I will miss him and Liv together. That last scene where he puts his hand over his heart and mouths “I love you.” before trying to kill Blaine For her…it was one of the most romantic and sweetest things I have seen in a while.

24. Michelle says:

Nooo they killed him! Everyone knows a bullet to the brain kills a zombie. I was really hoping he’d be in lots more episodes or the producers would at least leave it open to him coming back. I knew they were pushing for an endgame with boring Major, but I can’t believe they’d just off Lowell so quickly. I was hoping he’d turn into a Logan cause Major is even more boring than Duncan…

• pam says:

Did they show him getting the bullet in the head and I missed it? From what I saw all they showed was Liv turning away so she wouldn’t see. We heard the gun go off but they didn’t show any more of him after the scene where he stabbed Blaine in the arm. Maybe I’m just being a hopeful optomist.

• Well, there’s a rule in television and we just heard a gun shot but we didn’t see where Blaine hit him right? Which makes me think that perhaps it was a warning shot. Let’s also not forget that Julian/Candyman was shot by Major three times in the heart and survived. So Lowell could still be alive. ;) I knew Liv wouldn’t be able to do it, but I liked how they explained Lowell eating these brains. He’s not solving crimes or looking for triggers. But I’m glad he stepped up and was the hero! I just hope this isn’t the end of LivWell. However, I did go on the actors twitter and he has a new show where he’s the lead coming to A&E based on the film The Omen in 2016, so while I want to remain hopeful… there’s a 30% he may be written off the show this way. I will say this though… based on the promo alone, there was no mention of Lowell and Liv seemed… fine. So maybe he gets medical help? My deductive skills are telling me that if Lowell survives and Bradley has his own show on A&E Ravi could find the cure for zombie and Liv gives it to Lowell so he can go back to his passion which was music and they have a tearful goodbye but it leaves the door open for season 2 should the actor want to come back! <3

• pam says:

Selena, I think I love you a little bit. lol I saw that he was starting as the star of a new show too. But lots of actors will sometimes do 2 shows at once. Since Izombie is ending season 1 that will leave him open for the hiatus until season 2 starts?Maybe I’m just in denial. lol

25. Tiffany says:

Honestly, I wasn’t liking this show at all until Bradley James showed up as Lowell. If he is gone for good then they just lost one viewer (and probably more). He was the ONLY reason I watching the show.

26. Bellu says:

Lowell died this week. Tearing my eyes our rn.

27. georgia w says:

cw really doesn’t do well with their ultimate pairings
    e.g laurel and oliver – swapped for olicity
    barry and iris – swapped for snowbarry
    major and liv – swapped for livwell
    stefan and elena – swapped for steroline

major is a little dull atm in my opinion, hope they develop him better

28. Mai says:

This entire love triangle can’t end. Please somebody, tell me that Lowel and Liv will be together after episode 9. Ugh! The suspense is intense.

29. Lindsey says:

Rob Thomas, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! I really hope Lowell’s not gone.

• tsevca says:

Candyman was shot in the head as well and walked away. And I don´t believe Rob would do that, he likes him. Plus shooting him down, but not showing if he really died would be cruel giving of hope.

30. tsevca says:

Duncan was also supposed to be the endgame. Did anyone miss him when he left? Chemistry is what makes people watch a show. And the same way Veronica´s chemistry was with Logan, not with Duncan, Liv had, so far, chemistry with Lowell, not with Major.

31. Nicole says:

i like Liv and Lowell together and think they have great chemistry! Major and Liv are better as friends since they have no chemistry! Lowell is a great character and I really like him a lot! Please keep Lowell as Liv’s love interest!!!

32. savannah says:

I want Lowell to come back after he dies so oooo oooo oooo baaaaadddd

33. I’m team everything honestly, all these pairings are really well done and well thought out. But I wish Team Ravi would be a possibility, because honestly, they’d be really healthy for one another, unlike Team Major. Team Lowell was a beautiful thing while it lasted, and I wish it had been dragged on for longer before they killed him off. I was honestly hoping Ravi wouldn’t be sidelined as a friend, as Liv and him have a lot of chemistry with one another. Team Blaine is only possible if Liv finally decides to act upon all that sexual tension between them, I think Blaine is definitely attracted to her, but we’ll see.