American Idol to End Next Season

American Idol Cancelled

Ladies and gentlemen, 2016 will go down as the year the pitchy music died on Fox — the network announced Monday that American Idol‘s upcoming 15th season will be its last.

Idol‘s farewell season — featuring returning judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. — will debut in January 2016 and “pay tribute to the past 14 seasons” of the reality juggernaut.

Idol was a breakout hit for Fox when it launched in the summer of 2002. In Season 2, it ranked as TV’s No. 1 show, a position it held for an unprecedented eight years. Its ratings have waned considerably in recent years as the show weathered some rocky judging-panel overhauls and as general singing-competition fatigue set in.

1. Eli Edwards says:

Music won’t die completely though–EMPIRE

• pl says:

For the last season they should bring back Randy, Simon, and Paula as the judges.

• Sarah T says:

I agree. I’m really not surprised that S15 will be Idol’s last but I was thinking that they would bring back the original judges to go out on top. To me, that’s the best way to do it. I enjoy Harry, Keith & J. Lo but given the choice, I would rather have Simon, Paula and Randy. And go back to 2 nights. I hate that the results show is the same as the performances. I think it’s puts the contestants on too much edge. I agree that the results shows tended to feel bloated and drawn out but find a way to make those better (keep them to 30 minutes ONLY) and do them the following night.

• Tom22 says:

a donkey-butt, a moron and a drunk. ok, that was mean but it was a joke on all three accounts. Bit seriously. for me, They added nothing to the show and weren’t even fun loving etc. Show was fresh and new back then and IMO that was the difference: as MA put it.. “singing show fatigue”

• Rip Tide says:

They shouldn’t even bother bringing it back. It’s become an embarrassment.

• Larc says:

If not them, they should at least replace the ultra-boring trio they have now.

• Terry says:

I agree, I can’t bear them. What I’d like to see is a different panel of 3 or 4 judges every week made up of former idol contestants. There are lots of former contestants that are buddies and hang out with each other, so the chemistry would be there. There’s even a married couple (Ace and Diana) that could be hilarious to have them on a panel together. I know, I know, it will never happen but I think that would be a hoot.

• David says:

I have to agree. That would be how to go out with a bang

• JJ says:

If next season produces a group of outstanding contestants and the ratings soar, I’m sure TPTB would renew the show again.

• Dwayne says:

Of course it should be cancelled. Did you not catch how the results have been pre-released to the judges before announcement on stage. How else could the elimination of clearly the best talent, Tyanna Jones, be met with such equanimity by the judges??? The reason: Idol producers don’t want another replay of judges’ incredulity when the ignorant voting public clearly thwart the intention of the show to find the best talent. The judges were tipped off so that they would not show jaw-dropping reaction to the stupidity of the format!

2. Ben says:

Yeah, well, they kept messing with it. This season had so much talent, and it felt like they went and threw it away. The people’s save was an atrocious attempt to follow the Voice which put me off the show altogether (whats the point if I’m on the West Coast – so now the show is biased towards East Coasters? Is that it???) and along with that, one show a week, with the elimination at the bottom instead of the top, takes all the power out of the final performance which usually used to be set up to be the best of the night.

I’m sorry to see Idol go, but it definitely is time. My guess is, we will see all of these shows die… and then in about 15 years they will get a reboot and succeed again. The Idol formula should have retained that which was its best feature – its purity. It’s slowly tried to compete with less pure shows, and I think that has been it’s downfall, because it doesn’t do it as well.

• Matt says:

I agree there will be a re-boot but I doubt it will be in 15 years. I would guess 2 or 3 years at best to allow a buzz to build up and they will bring it back. The only way this doesn’t happen is if Fox suddenly finds half a dozen runaway ratings hits in the next couple of years.

• J says:

Problem was around those middle years when the behinds the scenes people ( producers, record label execs and such) got WAY too greedy. They wanted the “talent” to basically sign their rights away for a year or so under their label for little benefit to the artist. You’ve seen recent stories coming out from Philip Phillips and Caleb J and I’m sure a few others of the recent years after the season 6-8 range would say the same. I’m sure that was the hold up in getting music out and such because if the artist spoke out wrong to these execs then their career was “hampered” by them. Also there have been other ways to get noticed now that don’t require Idol so if you had a pretty good talent with people interested why would you sign with Idol to have your career delayed a year basically. That’s why if you heard of Vote for the Worst coming along and such with the push of bad singers. They were tired of the behind the scenes manipulation that is still happening today by the behind the scenes to get their person when it is “supposedly” America’s vote. They threw the twitter save in this year because it was a last resort to try to keep the “tween girl” vote to keep watching by trying to keep Daniel. Yes Daniel was pretty decent but he needed a few more years of maturing to sound REALLY good.

3. Kaitlyn says:

This is as much of a graceful exit as one could expect. Sad to see it go, but it’s time.

• Mary says:

I know it won’t happen but for me a graceful exit would be to bring back the original judges, even as guest and have winners and alumni return each week, even if they aren’t superstars. Play homage to previous season. I am not going to lie I will miss the show, but I really do think it is time. This show has introduced me to several musicians and I will support those even when this show is gone.

4. I hope they truly do honor what they’ve done and ALL their winners.

5. Maria says:

I only watch for Keith Urban, and I will miss having him on my tv screen every week, but overall it’s probably time for Idol to bow out gracefully. Besides, there are probably more effective ways for a young artist to launch a music career these days. The last couple of winners haven’t had huge record sales after their Idol victories.

6. Dean says:

Probably for thr best. It ain’t what it used to be and to be honest the past few winners aren’t that much of big names.

7. Sabrina says:

Finally, this show should have ended years ago as it seems none of the winners for the past few years have made much of a name for themselves. I can’t even name one winner in the past six or seven years. The only people that seemed to benefit from the show were the judges with their huge salaries.

• iHeart says:

yeah America got it way wrong in season 8, and either way next season it was wrong, I mean Scotty McCreary wasn’t bad, and let’s face it Phillip Phillips home, man it actually did feel American, but let’s face it PP was the last real American Idol

• Mary says:

Disagree with you about America got it wrong in season 8, oh well water under the dam.
        This show was about discovering new talent and that is what exactly has happened. This show was a stepping stone not the end all. Not everyone is meant to be a super star but many of the contestants have a viable career in music. The only true Superstars have been Kelly and Carrie, but that doesn’t make the other winners less deserving. Sorry to see it go but I hope the producers do that last season right.

8. AddieM says:

It was about time…long overdue!

9. Angela says:

My only concern is for Reality Check. I don’t even watch American Idol or even The Voice but I will watch those Reality Check videos as soon as they come out. I love Michael and Melinda!

• ara says:

Maybe we’ll get an all Voice Reality Check if The Voice stays on our TV screens. Maybe they’ll make the Voice longer and eliminate contestants one by one instead of wholesale if it’s the only reality singing show in town.

• Ron says:

I’m glad Idol is almost done, but Reality Check, too, was my concern! I hope ara is right, and that they just do a Reality Check solely dedicated to The Voice. I need Michael and Melinda to say all the crap about these contestants that nobody listens to me say.

• Denise says:

Yes, Reality Check is my number one concern too…Michael and Melinda are golden together.

10. I think there’s a number of reasons why American Idol started to slide.

1) When it launched this was the way to make a name for yourself. Now teens are not racing to the TV they’re listening to Youtube stars and Vine stars (God help us on the latter).

2) The voice doesn’t matter in the music industry, it’s about a fanbase through marketing and social media. Songs people listened to have changed. For some reason EDM crap dominates over songs with a message.

3) The Voice coaches changed what people want from the judges. Idol leaned on a music mogul, someone who was once a big female star and someone who had paid a lot of dues in the industry as their judges. The Voice launched with four judges who were popular musicians at the present time. Suddenly, that’s what people wanted. Idol tried to do it, but they made some odd choices and it didn’t work out.

• Meg says:

Makes me so sad. There have been many outstanding singers over the years and it was so much fun to watch their progress over the months on Idol. There are so many wonderful songs on my Ipod that came from this show over the years. I think the road map for TV watching is so so much broader now…the choices are so overwhelming that it is hard for any show to have the popularity Idol once did. Shows are canceled before even one season sometimes due to this same reason…too many choices. Also, in the case of Idol, I think a lot of people were turned off the year of Nicky M. and Queen Mariah and then the next year the show became more about Jennifer looks and Harry’s antics plus their choices of less than exciting contestants. I will also miss Michael’s recaps; so entertaining.

• Danny says:

Meg- You nailed it for me. I watched Seasons 4-13. I was a regular on this board for a few years. Minag was the start of the end for me. I never liked Lopez, but I gave 13 a chance to see if it would pick up. Predictably, it didn’t. Last year was the final straw.

11. Kate says:

I’m going to miss Reality Check most of all.

• Jasper says:

Oh god, I hope they don’t cancel that, too.
      Is it bad that I care about Reality Check more than I care about Idol?

12. Fdo says:

Actually it was about time. Since the season of candice glover this show has been doing stuff so wrong. Not only with the “singers”, when Harry “whateverhislastnameis” came into Idol, he just messed it up, with his “jokes” and not giving a write critics to contestans he just killed Idol. Farawell idol, over all you were an awesome show for about 12 seasons.

13. linda says:

When is dancing with the stars next to go

• iHeart says:

who knows, they should either do another all star season, or they should do a season where they give the ones who were voted off first another chance (minus Pamela Anderson)

14. iHeart says:

Idol started to become obsolete when Glee premiered IMHO (well it felt like it to me) I hope when the series finale happens they invite every single judge back. After 2005 I swore I would never ever watch Idol again because I kind of felt it was fixed. But then they managed to lure me into watching, if Steven Tyler didn’t come on as a judge for two seasons I wouldn’t have watched.

Still I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I’m actually going to miss it. Now SYTYCD and the shows that are done with Ramsey are the only reality shows left on FOX, Now what will Seacrest do?

I mean even the Canadian imports of reality shows haven’t done well, Canadian Idol only lasted 6 seasons, SYTYCD Canada only lasted 2, and CGT didn’t have much luck it only lasted 1 (but the format used was really poor)

Still this really is the end of an era.

• takatomon says:

Pretty sure SYTYCD Canada went on for 4 seasons, still not impressive but yeah. I don’t find reality shows are that successful north of the border.

I’m going to miss AI but this was bound to happen. Singing competition shows are just an antiquated thing, plus you have Youtube which put far more decent stuff than what we see on TV and the public has clearly caught onto it.

I know a lot Voice fans are going to cheer the fact that AI is gone next year but let’s be honest, their ratings have been sliding too. If AI’s going to be accused for being a “manipulated” and “judges” show, need I remind that the Voice accomplishes both of those and no one says a word.

• iHeart says:

yeah but even people are getting sick of the voice, not to mention that doing two seasons a year is kind of a drag, and makes it a little more worn out

15. zac says:

It’s an end of an era. Probably the most successful reality competition.

16. Leon says:

Praise Him!! I did a lil skip and a jump when I got the email this morning saying they are finally putting it out of its misery. I won’t even mind the endless promotion FOX is gonna do counting down and all that foolishness while I watch better shows cause I know AI shall be dead and gone!!

• syb says:

Why on earth do you care? Honestly, you people must be making this stuff up. I can’t imagine skipping and dancing because a show I don’t watch has been cancelled, you know, since I don’t watch it. If a tree falls in the forest…
      People are very strange. You don’t watch Idol. You despise it. And yet here you are reading an article about it and commenting on it.
      Thanking God. “Wow.”

17. Heather says:

The only thing I’m sad about is no more Slezak and Doolittle. Hope they keep it going for something else!

18. Ray says:

A decade too late

19. Helen Burns says:

I think this was the best season, with the best “artists” (they weren’t just singers) & also liked the judges. I think they lost a lot of viewers when they brought in Steven Tyler as a judge on a “family” show & never got them back once The Voice aired. I for one will really miss AI!

• ZacheryD says:

20. Helen Burns says:

I think this was the best season, with the best “artists” (they weren’t just singers) & also liked the judges. I think they lost a lot of viewers when they brought in Steven Tyler, Niki Minaj & Mariah Carey as judges on a “family” show & never got them back once The Voice aired. I for one will really miss AI!

• ZacheryD says:

21. James says:

NOBODY TELL J LO

22. Also worth mentioning for Canon t3i vs Nikon d5100 review, that both cameras havе support on an external
    stereo microphone. Sony incorporate one feature that
    is certainly unbeliveably cool and that is their ambient light sensor which ensures the T.
    He has been featured and quoted in numerous magazine and newspaper
    articles and videos and has appeared on over 25 television interviews on his craft.

23. Pearl says:

They should make 24 live shows, with 24 singers from seasons past that failed to get the title but were favorites from the public.
    IT would be the most watched season ever.

24. Katie Killjoy says:

Not a single eyelid worth batting.

25. Tyler says:

To be honest, I’m glad Idol is ending. I stopped watching it for a while, but came back this season because I heard of its vast talent. Yeah–there were a lot of talented contestants this season. But it’s amazing how manipulated this show has gotten. And the judging isn’t even consistent. One minute Harry says you hit it out of the park. Then the next minute he said the beginning of your song was vacant. Yeah–right, Harry. You know what you’re talking about. (sarcasm)

26. MelindaB says:

It won’t affect me, because I quit watching long ago. I guess the biggest impact to me is that I won’t have to see commercials for it. I hope that it can go out on a high note for the sake of those involved, rather than limp to the finish line.

27. Kiki says:

It’s a travesty the show never won an Emmy, yet The Voice did.

28. Caroline says:

Idol had a great run, but it’s past time for the show to end. I just hope they do this final season right, that they honor all of the past winners and the other top contestants. Do not disrespect any of the winners by acting like they do not exist (as they have done at times). Make the final season about the contestants and the music NOT about the judges.

It would be great if the S15 winner turned out to be a commercial success. That would be poetic justice.

29. Once a Fan says:

Finally. Now maybe some of the programs FOX cancels will have a chnce to stay on for awhile to get a following.

30. Jake says:

THANK GOD! FINALLY!

31. Lizo says:

If they’d ever taken the time to actually listen to smart critical suggestions from people (such as Aus here) the show would have lasted longer. They seemed to continually stick their heads in the sand thinking they knew better.

32. kmw says:

Its about time. American Idol is way past date it hasn’t been good in years

33. Nana says:

Finally it will end!! About time!!

34. Joey says:

And it’ll only be ending 15 seasons too late.

35. Lysh says:

It is long overdue, but it stillremainsone of the few talent reality shows where you still hear about the winners. I don’t know anyone who has won the Voice or whatever that has launched a successful career. Other than maybe The Sing-Off’s Pentatonix.

• Timmah says:

Yes, you still hear about the Idol winners… of 10 seasons ago.

• Rip Tide says:

Yeah, I congratulated a singer on Twitter a few weeks ago for a great rendition of the national anthem before a hockey game in New York, and found out later she had been a runner-up on America’s Got Talent. I’d never heard of her. Idol, for all of its many faults, was the one that produced a few people you remembered for more than 30 seconds past the show signoff each week.

36. Eurydice says:

Well, it’s too bad; it was a hugely influential show once upon a time. For me, the slippage wasn’t about the judges or which contestant won, it was that the show looked increasingly amateurish as they tried to retool it and cut costs. It just doesn’t look like a professional production and the contestants don’t look or act as if they’ve been coached by professionals. The sound, the lighting, the camerawork, staging, costumes, song choices – it all screams high school production.

37. jalahyacinth says:

Is it sad that my first thought was “no more Reality Check?!” Haha

38. Timmah says:

It should have ended after the travesty that was season 8.

• J says:

Season 8 might have been last straw of bad voteoffs but there were plenty before that see (Chris Daughtry of Daughtry), Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken(runner-up season 2) who were much more successful than the actual winners.

• Terry says:

I’m glad it went on for a couple more seasons after that because I never would have known of Haley Reinhart if it wasn’t for American Idol. I wish she had done better in her music career post idol but I did really enjoy her debut album and she’s finally releasing an EP this year so I’m looking forward to that! But I do understand how you feel about being done with the show after a travesty, for me it was when Haley didn’t even make it to the finale in season 10, I was so done with American Idol after that.

39. Terry says:

Good riddance!

40. darcy's evil twin says:

I think the problems started when (1) the producers started trying to manipulate the results, and (2) they added Ellen to the judging panel and continued to mess with the judging panel, not to mention telling the judges what to do and/or say.
    I will need to watch The Voice so I can see Mr. Slezak and Melinda.

• J says:

I agree and especially with number 1 statement. You ( the producers, record execs and such) were hired as people to make stars for your label. They might not be who’d you choose but you can sign your choice outside of this platform. If you are supposed to be so great at what you do, then you should be able to take who America picks and work with them, instead of trying to manipulate the situation to your favor.

41. Esther says:

Aw man. :( They messed up the format this year (which I think might be the main reason for the lack of “moments”), but it’s still my favorite non-scripted show and the only one that can make me so furious/ecstatic.

42. Mr. Tran K says:

American Idol deserves to end but I can’t wait until next year for its “swan song”. Now if only CBS Daytime should end The Price is Right if no one is going to replace Drew Carey because he’s still a poor man’s Bob Barker. :-(

43. Timmah says:

They tried to reach former winners like Kris Allen and Lee Dewyze for comment but they couldn’t find out which street corners they were busking.

44. Television Watcher says:

Reblogged this on The Television Watcher.

45. Tony Lang says:

Change the title to “American Idle”, and make it about the general election. The whole country’s political system decided on a televised sing-off. Judged by John Stewart, Bill O,Reilly and Rosie O’Donnell. JUGGERNAUT I tell ya!

46. vicky says:

ok Michael, I’m right there with you in the fetal position! For all it’s faults, the concept of unknown to very well known or fading into the sunset, or brilliant superstars, is still the best. Let’s not forget the talent that came out of AI, unlike ANY other singing competition on TV. To honor the show, FOX needs to do it up BIG. Go back to 2 nights with the results show, have the top ten go out on tour. Don’t hold back on (real) guest judges! And don’t let this be about Harry. Or J-Lo. No need to see them perform or try to be humorous. We just need contestants and good backstories! There are contestants who I personally would like to see have another crack at this but that is just my own imagination running wild! No more tweaking, just go back to the original concept and let it fly. I’ve loved all the conversations, all the tears, all the stories all the almosts and successes and who doesn’t miss Paula Abdul? Thanks for the memories AI ! Think they will produce a little video about the show? hmmmmmmm

47. marykaren says:

I’m so glad they are taking American Idol off the TV. THE VOICE is the best and will be on for a long time. AI is very boring and a lot of the singers can’t sing. It was good in the beginning and then it just dropped fast ratings. I think they should not even run it anymore not wait till 2016.

48. syb says:

I think it odd that well over half the respondents in the survey call the ending of AI long overdue, and yet they thought the subject interesting enough to vote in a survey about it. I can never understand why it was so important to those who were done with Idol that it be cancelled. Do you only get one TV station in your neighborhood? Why do you care what others watch. There are probably 1000 shows on TV I wouldn’t watch if I were paid to do so and yet I don’t campaign for their cancellation. I will miss the show, and the fellow fans who stuck with it. It was a great run. I look forward to celebrating that in its last season.

• MC says:

It was a two second survey. I think you’re reading too much into it.

• syb says:

But what brings them to the article in the first place? I don’t watch CSI. I accidentally heard it was cancelled. I have absolutely no interest in going to seek out a CSI article or taking a survey about how I felt about the show. BECAUSE I don’t CARE!. The internet is a very strange place.

49. I’ll believe it when I see it. Don’t be surprised if it’s back in 4-5 years. It’s all about the money folks.

50. Mary K! says:

IF any one didn’t expect Idol to come to an end (even abruptly!), you’ve been living in the
    Twilight Zone. Thankful for the one more season and wish new judge’s would be picked.
    While I like the current three judges, I’ve had enough this season of Harry Connick Jr., Jlo,
    & Keith…boring….Simon Cowell and Stephen Tyler were THE best judges ever! Many thanks
    American Idol for all the memories of music!