Fall TV Preview

Castle Season 8 Adds The Following EP Alexi Hawley as Co-Showrunner

Castle Season 8 Nathan Fillion Staying

Castle‘s behind-the-scenes shuffle isn’t over just yet.

Not 24 hours after it was announced that longtime Castle scribe Terence Paul Winter was stepping up as showrunner for the recently ordered Season 8, TVLine has confirmed that Castle alum Alexi Hawley is returning to the ABC drama, as co-showrunner — the same position he just got done filling on Fox’s freshly snuffed The Following.

Hawley’s Castle resume includes a Seasons 2 through 4 run as a producer, opening with a stint as executive story editor. During that time he also penned nine episodes, including “Kill Shot,” “To Love and Die in L.A.” and the Adam Baldwin-guesting “Headhunters.” His producing credits also include Body of Proof and State of Affairs, the latter of which he created.

The new Winter/Hawley combo fills the void left by David Amann, who is not continuing with Castle into Season 8.

As previously reported, sources confirm for TVLine that negotiations continue between ABC and leading lady Stana Katic.

1. geordie boy jimbo says:

alexi hawley as co showrunner just amazing she has done a fantastic job in both castle and body of proof!!!

2. Badpenny says:

2-4 were good years, so yay! Now we just need to get Stana, Jon, and the rest resigned.

3. DarkDefender says:

I am excited.. They are reassembling the best of the creative team. My hopes are high.

4. cmp says:

Glad to see Alexi Hawley coming back. As far as Stana, I really don’t care.

• Annie says:

Wow. I thought I was the only remaining Castle fan on earth who felt that way about Katic-as-Beckett! Lemme sit by you? I’ll bring popcorn.

• er1986 says:

Not the only one

• Regina says:

You’re not the only one. Can I join you guys too? Don’t care if Beckett is back or not. Not a fan of her or Katic. But give us Castle!

• Tom says:

You are in the minority obviously…Viewers love Stana Katic! Few scenes of her in every episode equals low low ratings.
        You were given a castle focused Season 7 & Season 7 has been the weakest & lowest rated season of Caste ever! 3 Million viewers hated Fillion filling up the tv screen. Get real! The reason Castle has been successful has always been Stana’s participation on the show with Nathan by her side. Remove her & we get an egotistic, bloated & aging trying hard pseudo-playboy performer who on his own can’t hold viewers’ attention as the ratings in Season 7 reflected when the focus was mostly about his character.
        Be careful what you fans of Fillion wish for…Because viewers tune out bigtime if it’s him & him alone. I know that. But more importantly 2-3 Million viewers each week obviously don’t like what they see & ratings are so bad this whole “season of castle”– the worst ever! What a bust it has been. No repeats of this S7 failure & fiasco please!
        Bring Back Stana Katic & the world of “Castle” will be right again. No Stana Katic, more viewers will never come back. Aren’t 2-3 Million viewers leaving each week not liking the season of castle more than enough? You want more to leave?

• RBA says:

The loss of 2 million viewers was evident by the 4th episode, and up until then there was no season of Castle. The fact is ratings began to decline after the premiere. Episodes 4 and 5 were below 9 million viewers and demos in the 1.5s.

Those who want to blame the season of Castle ignore that little fact specially since those episodes feature Caskett onscreen.

• amna says:

Couldn’t have said it better!
          Beckett/stana is the soul of this show. Take her out and the show will die a horrible death

• carbono says:

You know I’ve never understood this rivalry thing some of you clowns seem to have in regards to Stana & Nathan. I myself came for Nathan but fell in love w/the show due to their chemistry. I will say if you just scrolled up & down these replies (and every thread that has anything to do w/Castle for that matter) the people who love Stana & hate Nathan sure are over the top childish, mean & downright nastier than anything I see coming from the other side. Does anyone even know where all of this nastiness started from? Boy I sure hope it wasn’t some rumor from the National Enquirer or something!! Grow up kiddies!!

• CastleBuzz says:

Well, then, you’re not reading the same Castle threads as I do. And isn’t it ironic that a pro-Nathan, anti-Stana person started this particular sub-thread? Having pointed that out, though, I’m not for one or the other, but for both, at least for the purposes of this show. I readily admit that I am likely to follow Katic’s career and drop Fillion’s, but that’s due to my taste in material. Her projects interest me. His do not. And I agree there is no need to get personally nasty about the actors involved.

• Rhonda says:

I have to agree, it seems the best episodes are them together. I know the show is called Castle but it has worked from day one with both of them. So many viewers tuning in to see them together doesn’t lie. I like him as an actor but I don’t like the show without them.

• Jennifer says:

I agree Tom, this season has been the lowest because it was focusing on Castle and didn’t have enough of Stana Katic as Beckett in those episodes. I think the reason why ABC went ahead and signed Fillion to season 8 was because they thought by him signing that meant that Stana would sign as well. I guess they were all wrong about her jumping to resign. I also think the reason Fillion signed so fast was because he didn’t have any other offers to do anything else. I have nothing against Fillion or his fans but he can’t carry that show by himself. ABC is sadly mistaken if they think he can. I want Stana Katic back as the 1 and only Kate Beckett. If Stana doesn’t come back for season 8 I will not watch.

• lila1star says:

Your not alone–I will bring the soda!

• Zlevil says:

Count me out if that happens

• Harvey says:

Why start this conversation about Stana? This is just forcing it! You just wanted to start something like other posts! BTW I am one the guys watching more for Castle and the boys than Beckett, honestly, and behind storyline more than Caskett so don’t take me as some Beckett lover or something, but seriously!

• Tom says:

Then you, Harvey, haven’t been watching since Season 1. Because from day one the show had been created & has always been about Castle & Beckett! Take away Beckett & you have the wrong show. The “boys” as you say haven’t been in the picture & was relatively just “there” until much later after Castle & Beckett had been established as the core & focus of the show. This show had always been about a Writer & His Muse. Not a writer & the boys. Sorry.

• Harvey says:

Seriously? I am not saying I watch for Castle and the boys more than Castle and Beckett, I said only Beckett. Castle and Beckett is a better thing, but still, without Beckett, I would be watching for Castle and the boys, that’s what I meant! And odd isn’t it? I was the one asking why start a fight and you want to start one with me?

• carbono says:

Not odd at all Harvey, those Stanatics are just an evil bunch! They remind me of a niece of mine. Lol! They’re basically Mean Girls. By the way kiddies, I am in agreement w/those that say no Beckett, just end the show. I watch for them both.

• CastleBuzz says:

Without Katic’s Beckett, there is no Castle. The show is about the two of them, working together as partners in life and in crime, a writer and his muse. It is ludicrous to think the show would survive without her. With her on board, along with Seamus and Jon, TPW and AH will have a real chance to get this show back on track and return it to its former glory. Without her, fuhgeddaboudit.

• geordie boy jimbo says:

i agree with castlebuzz article as above as i said before without stana katic castle may lose its appeal along with the ratings it will be a disaster

• Ridiculous says:

And then people are going to complain that Nathan gets hate …

• Alex says:

This topic isn’t even about Stana. But yeah let’s provoke people so you can whine after about how Nathan isn’t respected right ?

5. Teri says:

Exciting news with Alexi and Terrance. They are both fantastic. Castle will benefit greatly.

6. c-mo says:

Very happy to hear this news but with TPW already installed I had no issues. What I’d really like to know is are Jon and Seamus coming back? It almost seems like Stana is waiting to see if they are returning before she signs but that is just my opinion since she said that her concern was art over dollars.

• er1986 says:

She is signed. My guess is that on Monday ABC will announced the news for Stana and the rest to create excitement for the finale.

To do so yesterday and today would have drowned out the news with all the cancelation news.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I do appreciate your sense of “theater,” but no, she is not signed — at least not as of a few hours ago. And believe me when I say ABC would not sit on this news for a half-second.

• Just one thing says:

Interesting.
          To Love and Die in LA was my very first exposure to Castle, so that’s cool.
          Not sure what the future holds for Castle, but I like ABC’s showrunner choices. This definitely suggests the network is in this for the long haul.

• er1986 says:

Thankd for the update Matt

• Just one thing says:

People keep suggesting Stana Katic is waiting on Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever before signing on.
      Is this “word on the street,” or just collectively wishful thinking? I’m genuinely curious.

• R says:

It’s very likely wishful thinking; just as Stana & Nathan negotiating together was ~ and we saw how that worked out lol. No one knows why she hasn’t signed. ABC has their lips sealed (at least regarding Stana’s contract negotiations) and trying to get info from Stana’s camp is downright impossible. I will say it is highly frustrating that the presumption is that Stana is the one holding out; as if ABC has had an amazing offer on the table for a while and Stana is just holding out to be difficult.

• Just one thing says:

I always laughed when I read that suggestion of Nathan/Stana negotiating together. Quaint thought.
          I wouldn’t have asked about Stana/Jon/Seamus if it hadn’t been posted by different people. Molly Quinn allegedly tweeted her positive contract status, only to delete it later. So much info is being published, retracted and changed. LOL
          Isn’t it normal for an actor’s reps to be mum about contract negotiations, or do they sometimes release nuggets to stir the pot? That seems like it would have the possibility of backfiring.
          This has really been interesting, only because so much conflicting information has been published or shared by reputable sources.
          The new development of TPW/Hawley definitely seems promising for future seasons, though. They’re some of the strongest writers Castle has had. (Is Mr. Beall free?!)

• Just one thing says:

Oh, and of course I agree with the latter part of your statement regarding ABC’s offer. I can’t help but think they misfired with the release of Fillion’s signing what now feels like eons ago.
          If they thought she was gonna jump to sign, apparently that’s not how she decided to roll.
          Which does make one wonder if she does have another offer out there. Admittedly wishful thinking on my part, but Katic does seem to be in a prime position to be looking at other options out there.

• R says:

Personally, and this is where I have to make some inferences, I feel ABC has always undervalued Stana and overvalued Nathan. When the show was in its infancy Nathan’s brand certainly kept the show afloat; however, as the show has grown, the popularity of Stana and Nathan within the Castle fandom has evened out.
            For whatever reason, ABC seems unwilling to adapt to this obvious change in popularity. Everything about ABC’s marketing tactics (which are few and far between anyways) screams that they still feel Castle is the Fillion and friends show.
            Sadly, I never thought they would go as far as to try and move on without Stana. I have no idea what Stana’s immediate plans are. I would be happy with her choice to move on or stay for one final season.
            Whether her possible transition away from Castle is because she has another offer on the table, or because she simply has made enough money to focus on her production company is the million dollar question.
            I will agree with you that everything about Castle’s contract negotiations/possible show renewal/PR strategy in the last couple of months has been highly suspect. Sadly, desperately sadly, it sort of mirrors this undefinable, yet clearly present, black cloud over the show and S&N (which are essentially the same thing).

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree with everything you have to say here, R.

• Just one thing says:

Definitely agree with you 100% on all that. Well said.

7. er1986 says:

This is better news than the one from yesterday. TPW imo lacks the experience and has been to heavily influenced by Awm and Amann.

Castle needed someone from the first 4 seasons or an outsider that was not associated with the last 2 seasons.

• carbono says:

That is not bad logic er1986. It surely beats your thoughts on Stana! Without her you may as well just cancel the show. I am NOT 1 of those idiotic Stanatics who are still childishly bashing Nathan. (it’s been 7 years twits, you’ve got be at least 22 yrs old by now, grow up!!) However I do like her a lot & I’ve always watched for the chemistry between her & Nathan. Without her, I’d just rather let Nathan start a new show. Like a re-make of the Rockford Files! He’d be awesome!!

• Regina says:

That would be fantastic and I think I’ve heard it’s been talked about before. He’d be perfect!

• CastleBuzz says:

If it had a chance of success, now would have been the time to do it. And perhaps that’s what they’ll do if Stana doesn’t re-sign. But it won’t be Castle and a huge percentage of existing fans won’t watch just for him. Remember they tested it this season with the PI arc. Those eps drew some of the lowest ratings of the season. Draw your own conclusions.

• RBA says:

The ratings for those episodes were no different than now. Viewers were lowered, but they are always low without Dancing. Also the two Beckett episodes last season Veritas and ITBOTB were two of the lowest rated episodes last season.

The collapse this season is not so much because of the focus on Castle but rather the big FU AWM gave viewers in the finale last year. The non-wedding drove millions of viewers away

• Cassie says:

I loved the finale last season but I gave up on Castle during the PI arc

• rowan77 says:

Apples and Oranges. The PI trials were hardly about him being on his own because he was constantly working on cases WITH or parallel to Beckett’s cases. If Stana doesn’t return and they make the season long arc about finding who killed her, while Castle adjusts to life without Beckett, it will do just fine. The big mistake would be to do a time jump and not properly address her death. And it needs to be a death because we already know there is no way she would choose to leave him at this point in their marriage.

• R says:

This is in response to rowan77: You are out of your mind if you believe the ratings would be fine if they killed off Beckett (or wrote her off some other way). Fillion’s groupies who believe the show is all about Nathan and that Castle could go on without it’s leading lady are being ridiculous. Sure, in the most literal sense the show could do a season 8 without Stana. However, it would very likely one of the lowest rated shows on any of the four big networks.

• Laura says:

Fillion’s groupies need to take a close look at season 7 ratings if they think the show can go on without one of the two leads.

• CastleBuzz says:

This is in reply to RBA: You cannot compare ratings for two of the most serious and dramatic episodes, Veritas and ITBOTB, in the entire series with the “fun” PI arc eps. The ratings for serious eps on this show are always lower than the fun and fluff ones. The initial loss of viewers this season may have had to do with the non-wedding, but more were lost as the Season Of Castle continued. The point is Castle is a show about a writer and his muse. That muse is Beckett, played by Katic. Without her, it’s not Castle, whatever they may call it. Without her, the viewership will nosedive again.

• Lisa says:

I don’t believe the drop in ratings when Castle became a PI had as much to do with Beckett as it did with the fact that they altered the dynamic TOO much. Not so much because he and Beckett weren’t together, but the whole team wasn’t together. The same thing happened with the FBI arc. When you alter the entire dynamic like that, it’s very risky. There is a team dynamic, that includes Beckett, Javi, Ryan, and even Gates and previously Montgomery. They could take one of them out of the mix and survive, but when you stray too far from the team dynamic, you risk losing a lot of people.

I saw the same thing on Elementary, when they changed the entire Holmes/Watson dynamic. Watson moved out, acted like she couldn’t stand Holmes. Kitty was brought in, and their was a huge wedge. That made it harder to watch and viewers fled. Not that the Kitty arc was a bad thing, but the way they accomplished it tore apart the dynamic.

I love Castle, and I’m truly hoping that Stana Katic signs for season 8. I’m merely pointing out that the show can survive a star leaving as long as they don’t mess with the entire dynamic. If you think I’m wrong, look at Law & Order SVU. They’ve had many of their key players leave, yet they show still survives. It survives because they maintain the same dynamic.

• RBA says:

In reply to castlebuzz,

The loss if 2 million viewers was evident by the 4th episode, and up until then there was no season of Castle. The fact is ratings began to decline after the premiere. Episodes 4 and 5 were below 9 million viewers and demos in the 1.5

Also unlike the episodes before Always concerning the JB arc, the Bracken episodes that were Beckett focus were the among lowest rated of their seasons.

• CastleBuzz says:

I’m not going to get into a ratings war with you RBA. Ratings are secondary to my point, which is that to be Castle the show, it needs both Castle and Beckett, Nathan and Stana, as equal partners on the screen. That doesn’t mean equal time, lines, scenes in each and every ep, but it does mean together overall. And, yes, Lisa, it also means maintaining most of the rest of the dynamic with Espo and Ryan, Gates and Lanie/Perlmutter, Martha and Alexis. Some of that can change and the show can go on, but NOT the dynamic between the two leads. I’ve watched SVU from the very first show and I know firsthand that it survived Stabler being written off, but it certainly changed after that and he and Olivia were never involved on a personal level. Beckett and Castle are too intertwined for one to leave and have the show — as we know it — to continue.

• Cassie says:

Castlebuzz, I took a look at the ratings and Castle, P.I. and In Plane Sight are the two lowest rated episodes demo wise of the entire series. While episodes 4 & 5 were under 9m/1.5, episodes 6, 7 & 8 were over 9m/1.7/1.8.
            My conclusion is that people watch the show for Caskett and the collapse this season is the too much focus on Castle.

• CastleBuzz says:

Thanks for the support, Cassie. Nice to have back-up!

• RBA says:

The ratings failures this season have little to do with it being the season of Castle. They are down because the writing is bad, unbelievable plots, the need to keep the leads apart, viewers feeling betrayed due to the non wedding, a wedding that felt like an afterthought latched on to an episode dealing with alternate reality, and a Honeymoon episode where there was very little Honeymoon and a lame explanation as to why the rest of the cast was not invited to the wedding.

The producers and writers asked us to trust them because they had a plan, and with each interview it became clear they didn’t and to cap it off they gave the most ludicrous explanation in Sleeper as to why the wedding had to be delayed. Viewers weren’t stupid. They knew the people running the show had no clue and had broken their trust, so they left as the season progessed. However it was evident by the 3rd episode viewers were leaving. Some came back for the wedding and Honeymoon, and having seen those events they left again.

Fact is ratings have been hovering between 1.3 to 1.6 since episode 4. OUATITW and the Esposito centric Kill Switch were the only two to go above 1.6. All the rest even those with equal screen time for NF and SK have failed to crack 1.6.

The problem boils down to the writing and not who is on screen.

• Lisa says:

I actually agree with you RBA. My previous comment centered around a particular story arc (Castle as PI) and why it didn’t work. However, everything you said really encompasses the things that have been causing a steady drop in ratings. Drastically changing the dynamic for too long definitely plays a role, but in the mix with the things you mentioned it has all caused continued drops. It’s been a combination of all those things.

• Annie says:

I agree. 6×23 turned off a lot of viewers and the non-wedding-wedding did nothing to help. AWM puts too much stock in not giving the viewers what they want. I hope TPW and Alexi are able to extert some control and steer the show in a more positive direction.

8. Anon says:

Ugh I wish Stana, Jon & Seamus would stop being divas & drama queens & just sign already! This is so unbelievably frustrating for fans!!! Stana’s “art over finance” stuff is a load of pretentious crap & my love for her has quickly faded over the years and all of this contract drama just proves it. If she truly loved the show as much as she professes, she’d do it right by signing and letting it end properly. If she doesn’t, well then my respect for her will all be lost! C’mon Stana, get your crap together and do your fans (who essentially are responsible for your current success) right!

-Former Stanatic (NOT a fan of N’s, but at least he did right by fans and signed!!!)

• Regina says:

Totally agree! Art over finance, yeah right. “Art” doesn’t pay the bills. She’ll be back. She’d be an idiot not to. It’s not like she has so many other prospects out there. Sign & let everyone move forward!

• CastleBuzz says:

You have no idea what her prospects are or what kind of a career she desires. Right now she’s filming another indie movie in Jordan with the up and coming Jordanian-American director, Amin Matalqa, who is in the Disney/ABC director development program. She also has two of her own projects under development for her own production company. She’s made it clear she enjoys independent films because of their flexibility and increased opportunity for more control over the product. She is moving on. You should try it some time.

• Regina says:

Independents are great and if that’s what she wants good for her. But she still has bills to pay. Her “production company” has had those projects sitting there for a couple of years with no movement. If she wants to move on, I hope she’s successful but let’s end all this silliness then and say that she is ready to go. Don’t keep jerking the Castle fanbase around.

• R says:

And this is exactly why ABC leaked the info about Nathan resigning weeks ago. Now that Nathan has signed it puts all the pressure on Stana to accept ABC’s offer as soon as possible. It’s why many of us were pissed when it happened because it’s totally unfair to Stana. If she doesn’t sign now she’s the diva-hold-out who is jerking the Castle fanbase around. No offense Regina, but you have no idea if Stana has signed a contract or why negotiations are taking longer with her. For you to assume it’s all Stana’s fault is you just projecting your feelings with zero actually insight into what’s going on.

• CastleBuzz says:

I’m sure she’s intelligent enough to have managed her money from Castle well enough to “pay the bills.” LOL As for developing projects from optioned novels, the process is long and arduous even for big-name stars. Both of Stana’s projects, I believe, are in the script-development stage.

• cece says:

Appreciate her wanting to do indie’s but when do they come out for people to see and she has her own production company great but did you know of Stana Katic before Castle and I’m not taking away from her being a good actor but if she wants to focus on the other things then just say it and then do it. And lets ALL remember this is just a show and a lot of people love to watch it and it has a LARGE FAN BASE as we see from the comments here but remember when this show does end they will be gone some may fellow these actors but not like they do NOW! and the remark about moving on wasn’t needed.

• CastleBuzz says:

Sorry, Cece, I meant Stana is moving on with her life right now, during this hiatus, while renegotiating her contract. She got married, she’s making a movie, all while trying to get the best deal for herself on Castle. I was suggesting that Regina and others move along too as they await that outcome. …………………….. I didn’t know either Katic or Fillion before Castle. I tuned in to the pilot b/c I loved the idea of a mystery writer following a NYPD detective around. I stayed with the show b/c of all the elements. …………………. Indies have traditionally been hard to find outside of large urban areas, but now often can be seen online.

• CastleBuzz says:

First, you don’t know that they haven’t signed and ABC is just not announcing it for some reason. Second, there are many reasons for not signing a contract until it satisfies you. Do you? Would you sign just because a bunch of people are clamoring for you to? Be reasonable. This is their careers. They’ve already given the fans seven years of entertainment with hard work, skill and talent. They don’t owe you or anyone else anything more. ………………..As for Stana, perhaps she doesn’t like the disparity between NF’s salary and the amount being offered to her for equal work (their screen time and number of lines are equal). This has been a huge issue lately in Hollywood. Or perhaps, because she does love the show and her character so much, she’s been unhappy lately and wants more control over how Beckett is portrayed. Perhaps she wants an opportunity to direct an episode or even producer credit with more creative control over the storylines. Maybe she wanted to wait until she knew who was going to take the helm and whether she can work with that person(s). It’s even possible that she may not have gotten into serious negotiations until ABC re-signed Nathan, which would mean she’s only been in contract talks for a few weeks. …………Nathan signing earlier than the rest has nothing to do with his doing “right by the fans” and everything to do with his getting the deal he wanted. As it should be! The other cast members probably have to wait until the leads and new showrunners fall into place.

• Regina says:

Yes there is a disparity between men and women in Hollywood, as there is in much of corporate America but sometimes there is simply a disparity between the players. In Hollywood ones place is not just decided by how many lines or how much screen time you get. Your value is also determined by other things you bring to the table: Q score, outside projects, name recognition, visibility, your promotional skills. These are things you bring to your current orije

• Regina says:

Project that help it, raise its profile and thereby raise your value to the project. This is an area where there can be abject differences between two performers who have equal lines and screen time but places more value on one over another. But I’m sure you were aware of all of this already.

• CastleBuzz says:

Hate to tell you but Stana’s scores are much higher than Nathan’s. For example, check out their STARmeter scores on IMDb. Hers is 53, up this week. His is listed in the top 5000, and is down. And, yes, I’m aware that there’s more involved than just screen time and lines, but after seven years, I think their draw as far as Castle is concerned is fairly equal……………….BTW, what is “orije”?

• CastleBuzz says:

Oops, never mind the “orije” query. I now realize it was a typo-delete and you continued in your follow-up.

• Regina says:

Well imdb is a fan generated poll like all others. A Q score is an industry generated rating that covers many aspects of one’s branding. It is a number the INDUSTRY looks at in order to make decisions. Nathan’s has been high for the last couple of years. SK’s score as well as her name recognition outside the Castle fandom is not very high… Especially for the lead of a network show of 7 years. That is something her team needs to work on before the show does end.,

• CastleBuzz says:

IMDb STARmeter is not simply a fan poll. It is a ranking of every person, title and company with an IMDb listing that’s designed to provide industry professionals with insights into the popularity of film and television productions as well as the people and companies that make them. The rankings are based not on statistical samplings, but on the actual behavior of millions of IMDb users who visit a particular site. They reflect the degree of public awareness and/or interest in the movie/show, person or company. The difference between being 53, and trending upward, and in the top 5000, and trending downward, is huge! …………I don’t know Nathan’s or Stana’s Q scores, but back in November, Henry Schafer, the executive producer of the Q Scores Company, stated: “The truly elite Q-score [TV] female stars right now include Pauley Perrette, Mariska Hargitay, Stana Katic, Linda Hunt, and Kaley Cuoco.”

• Just one thing says:

Thank you for sharing her Star Meter ranking, CastleBuzz. I have tried 4x to post that here over the last few days to no avail.
            Hers is the highest of any ABC star, with the exception of recently departed Patrick Dempsey.

You’re welcome, Jot.

• R says:

In reply to CastleBuzz: where are you getting those quotes about Stana’s Q-score? I’m not saying you are wrong, but the latest Q-scores I saw (Sept. 2014) didn’t have Stana in the top 50.

• CastleBuzz says:

The original source is Philly.com in an article about Katherine Heigl’s return to TV dated November 16, 2014. The complete paragraph reads: “But Heigl’s Q score puts her on the same plateau as prime-time actresses such as Lucy Liu, Julie Bowen, Amy Poehler, and Zooey Deschanel. The truly elite Q-score female stars right now include Pauley Perrette, Mariska Hargitay, Stana Katic, Linda Hunt, and Kaley Cuoco.” The info is attributed to Henry Scafer. ………………………..Philly.com is the online version of The Philadelphia Inquirer, one of the most highly regarded daily newspapers in the US.

• CastleBuzz says:

There’s another industry score called the V score compiled by Variety magazine. I think it’s newer than the Q and takes into account some extra factors. Anyone know anything about that?

• Mary says:

What Makes you think they are being divas?! I don´t – or anyone here – know the details involved so I won´t say anytthing about them signing or not! Do I want Stana (and the others) back? Of course! After all, the show may be named “Castle” but was never just about him and I don´t think it´ll work without Stana.
      And I´ve never heard anything about Stana acting as a diva, by the contrary, I´ve always heard good things about her!

• Cassie says:

I’m glad that you’re a former Stanatic, Stana doesn’t need entitled pretentious fans who think they have the right to dictate what Stana should do with her life.

• R says:

This is one of the most ludicrous things I’ve seen posted on a Castle article ~ which is saying something. The ego you’ve portrayed by assuming that Stana is a diva because she hasn’t done what YOU want her to do on YOUR timeline is astounding. There are 100 other things wrong with your line of thinking, but I’ll stop here since others have already showed you how foolish you are.

• alexia says:

The famous “I used to loved her and I’m not a fan of Nathan” ahah, not very discret, and very not believable ;)

• BµB says:

Well if the great Nathan Fillion has been more classy and had stuck with them, they wouldn’t have to negociate so hard to get what they want. But not everybody can be David Boreanaz.

• BµB says:

But no, let’s all “rejoice” right? He has signed, who cares about the others!

• CastleBuzz says:

Not too many DBs out there. Speaking of class, Jon Huertas tweeted a gracious congrats to TPW without knowing his own status. Nothing from Nathan, however. In fact, nothing from him about Castle since his “rejoice” tweet. Also, speaking of class, go read Ioan Gruffudd’s long letter to his fans after Forever was cancelled (see the article on this site). It’s one of the most gracious, heart-felt thanks to fans (of which I am one) that I have ever read. Really lovely.

• er1986 says:

His heartfelt letter madre me a bigger fan of his and of the entre cast and cree of Forever. Him and Alaba went all out forma the show. It is truly ABC’s loss.

• CastleBuzz says:

Yeah. I’m hoping that as a WB show, it gets picked up by the WB network and given a second chance. We can hope, right?

• er1986 says:

Excuse the spelling. Using swiftkey.

• Just one thing says:

Your logic is so flawed, and your story is suspect. But whatever.

• R says:

“Your logic is flawed, and your story is suspect.” lol JOT, you are way too kind. Your ability to stay even-keeled even when it is obvious people have very little knowledge of what they are talking about is quite enviable.

• JBKD says:

Really? How entitled you must be in other aspects of your life.
      Stana did her job, did it well, and honored her 7 year contract. I hope she signs a new contract. But that said…….She owes us….nothing. She owes ABC Studios….nothing. She owes Nathan Fillion and the other cast/crew member…nothing.

• Jennifer says:

Did you ever stop to think Anon that Nathan signed so quickly because the network gave him everything he wanted and most likely more. So the fact that he signed on so fast is because he has nothing else to do. It’s not fair to Stana, Jon or Seamus for you or anyone else to say they are being divas or drama queens. The whole cast is what made up this show not just Nathan playing Castle. I for one will not watch this show again if Stana and the rest of the cast do not resign. ABC needs to show them some respect and stop all this going back and forth crap. I believe Stana when she says it’s Art over Finances for her. She does a lot of independent films because she has more of a say over the art of the film. Whose to say that she has not singed on and ABC is waiting until after Monday nights finale to release that information to bring more attention to season 8. I have to say before Castle I never heard of any of these actors/actress. Doesn’t mean they were not around, I just didn’t watch anything they were in. I have heard Nathan did a show called Firefly and it lasted what 13 episodes and he did the soap One Live to Live. Come on lets all be honest Castle has made them all a house hold name now. Wether you like them all or some of them they all made the show what it is and they all deserve to be recognized for that.

• KCC says:

I know it’s been said a thousand times before but some fans have to get a life. Actors, writers or whatever don’t “owe” the fans anything. Just because they produced hours of TV viewing pleasure for you and you’ve become a fan does not enslave them to you. The fans are not responsible for the shows success. The people making the show are responsible for creating the show you became a fan of, you had nothing to do with the creative process and actual work it takes to produce the show. Some fans like to think they are responsible while the only thing they’ve done is watch it. Huh, thanks for all the hard work? The sense of entitlement some people exhibit is unbelievable. You didn’t become a fan to advance anyone’s career or help them make a living (unless you’re their parents). You enjoyed the show that was being produced and became a fan, so the creators of the show already delivered on their end. They don’t owe you anything more. Is it so much harder to sit back on a Monday night and put all the effort of not changing the channel, compared to the hours of work and energy the people that create those shows are putting into giving you something to watch? Of course you’re right, without the fans there would be no show. But try thinking of it another way, without the show there’s nothing for you to be a fan of, the show came before any fans. Give them a break and be happy you got whatever enjoyment you did from the show and let the actors worry about what’s best for their careers and lives and stop complaining about how it effects you. I certainly hope they are not making career and life decisions based on what any fan thinks.

• Harry Wild says:

Season 1-5; Castle was dating someone else. They were only in a professional relationship!

9. A fan of both says:

I’m a fan of the show. Period. Don’t bash the stars unless you are 100% sure of your facts. I’m happy Fillion resigned for Season 8. Those associated with the show seem to be very optimistic about Katic returning. They are in a much better position to know than you or me. Rumors were flying about Katic going Twitter silent and taking it as a bad sign. Now we hear that she married her longtime boyfriend on 4/27/15 (Congrats!). Maybe she had other things going on in her life! Give her a break! Let everything shake out and relax.

10. sigh says:

Wow, for the first time in a long time, I am actually excited about something Castle-related! I always thought Alexi Hawley was the best writer they ever had, so if he could pen a few episodes, that would be awesome!

11. ... says:

Fillion’s groupies are unbelievable

12. Lena says:

The comments section for Castle’s articles should have two comments, one that says “Team Nathan / Castle” and the other “Team Stana / Beckett”. And people would just post “me” under it. Would be more simple. And just as ridiculous.

• CastleBuzz says:

Except that I don’t see any of the posters you’d probably list under Team Stana/Beckett suggesting a show without Fillion’s Castle in contrast to some of those on the other team actually rooting for the opposite. In short, the “teams” are not equivalent in their vitriol level against the other.

• Lena says:

Well he already has signed so they can’t say they hope he won’t come back anymore. Anyway both are equally stupid, I can’t understand how you can want Castle without Beckett, she’s always been as important and essential as Castle.

• CastleBuzz says:

“Well he already has signed so they can’t say they hope he won’t come back anymore.” ……..Laughing at myself now. Point taken.

• Fran says:

Unfortunately every comment section of Castle articles are now filled with gossip filled, Nathan vs Stana nonsense. And it sure seems like many people are privy to the actors contract negotiations and are completely positive as to the reasons why each and every person watched the show. Its really sad and ridiculous.

13. James D says:

excellent. both have written some of my favorite episodes on Castle ever so I’m feeling really good about this. I think both will bring a lot to the show. Can’t wait. #CastleForever :)

• James D says:

I forgot to mention what the heck is with all the Stana hate? I’m a fan of both actors so I’m by no means bias towards either one. Why shouldn’t she hold out and get paid she’s earned it just as much as anyone else.

• Lena says:

Sadly this is the Castle fandom now : Stana vs Nathan

• James D says:

That’s a real shame.

• Fran says:

It absolutely has. There might not be “Stana” fans slamming Nathan on this particular post, but you can bet they sure were when Nathan’s shorter work hours was a story. Its all very sad.

• EMK says:

I have to say, that I think a lot of this Stana vs. Nathan antics descend from the actors themselves. By that, I mean that if they could just put forth a more united front, it would help this nonsense. We as the fans are not ignorant in that, we can feel the tension on the screen and off. Abc or they themselves need to realize when the leads aren’t getting along, the fandom naturally divides. Pls, just use your acting skills and publicly acknowledge the other kindly every now and then. Take a pic together, once a year. Whatever. Just give the fans the remote feeling that all is well. Saying that, I do see Stana making more of a public effort in this regards.

• Alex says:

Yeah, agree with that. Anyone could tell there is something weird between the two of them, they’re not even trying to hide it a little by doing interviews, photoshoots etc … For example Nathan live tweeting 8×01 “Driven” and mentioning literally EVERYONE but Stana who was the one on screen the most was totally ridiculous and didn’t make him look good. Things like that doesn’t help.
            And now an important part of the fandom is divided between his fans and hers fans. If they just supported the one they love it would be good but they can’t help bashing the other.

• CastleBuzz says:

Exactly, JamesD. And, Lena, it has nothing to do with Stana vs Nathan, which is only brought up in my experience on social media as a putdown for a pro-Stana stance. Being pro-Stana does NOT equate to anti-Nathan.

14. Just one thing says:

Ha! Thanks. I’m trying to keep my word count down around these parts.
    I have to practice brevity in some responses, because for certain people, there’s simply no point. Finally realizing that after over two (!) years following this show on TVLINE.
    Glad to know I can rely on others to pick up the torch, though! :-)

15. lame says:

I like the fact that Hawley writes episodes with substance. Hopefully he can change the series from the worn out case of the week to the more engrossing and compelling open ended story lines, that take their time in development.

16. K says:

Alexis did such a fantastic job with Castle in seasons 1-4. He wrote remarkable and unforgettable episodes. I am so excited that he is co-showrunner all with TPW

17. Manuel Schuster says:

I wiil be glad to have also Stana Katic back as Kate Beckett. Without her is doesn´t make fun and sense.She and Nathan Fillion are such a great cuople on TV. Many greetings from Cologne, Germany by Manuel

• CastleBuzz says:

Hallo. Willkommen! Ich bin damit einverstanden. …… Hope that’s correct. High school German was a long time ago…

18. amna says:

I don’t believe it! When did our fandom divide into pro Castle or kate hater? That hurts once we were all together for caskett but now others wanna sink or ship :(

• cece says:

So true this just crazy the show only works with BOTH and if what some are saying about tension between them they need to be GIVEN A OSCAR for best acting cause they have a chemistry that shows no signs of tension on screen and that’s where it counts for the show.

19. Hege says:

That was good news. Seasons 2-4 were pretty good. As for Stana I am one of the few that think the show has used Beckett too much and Castle too little for the last seasons. I do like Beckett but she isn’t the reason I watch. I watch because of Castle. I find it strange that people has complained lately that Castle has “taken over”. The first seasons was mainly about Castle. There where hardly and scenes where Beckett was without Castle but many scenes where Castle was without Beckett. The last few seasons Beckett has had much more screentime. For me, that was one of the reasons I don’t like Castle as much now. Also letting them get together and be married ruins the dynamic of the show. The tension and banter is almost gone. I would also like too see more of Alexis and Martha.

20. lame says:

As long as Winter/Hawley are given free reign season 8 will be interesting. if they have to follow the plan laid out by AWM they’ll be in trouble as Amann was.

• lame says:

Splitting the abduction arch and ramming the conclusion down everyone’s throat made no sense whatsoever and it cost them the demo group from 2.2 to 1.6 and less. That didn’t originate from Amann.

21. carbono says:

Castlebuzz

22. Mary says:

If Stana doesn´t sign the show won´t be the same, period!
    Like @Rowan77 said (and that´s the only thing I agree) the only reason for not having Kate anymore is if she dies – but Marlowe said when the finale was filmed there was a good chance of it being the series finale, they wanted to assure that fans would get an episode that could be used as both series/season finale – so obviously Kate won´t be killed off!
    If Kate has to be dead, it will happen off-screen, meaning we won´t even see it (unless they edit some material already filmed, wich will be ridiculous)! Without Kate, how will it be possible for Castle staying at the precinct? Will he be a cop, lol?! And if on top that neither Jon or/and Seamus stay, it will become even more unbelievable. So, please, the only thing from the beginning of the show will be its name!! It sure won´t be the show I learned to love, so I definetly won´t watch! If things turn out like that, as high expectations as I have with the new showrunners, tomorrow season finale will end being the series finale for me!:(
    And about Nathan´s tweet of “rejoice” – I choose to believe that it was just after knowing the show was renewed and he didn´t know in wich point were the other´s negotiations! Because if he “rejoiced” knowing he might be the only member from the original cast remaining, well, I hate to say he loses a lot of my respect (not that he cares about it, of course)!:) And I´m totally off that thing Nathan/Stana ship, I watch the show for BOTH of them!

23. Harry Wild says:

Stana Katic has had a good run! The show needs a change of female detectives -someone younger more attractive to draw back the 7 million that left the show and get back an additional 1 full rating point to 2.5!

• Mary says:

Yeah, and lose at least half of the actual viewers (myself included)…

• Cassie says:

They could also cast all those flying pigs above their heads

• Zlevil says:

“More attractive” ? Ahahahah she’s already way out of Nathan’s league now that Beckett looks more like Castle’s little sister than his wife so bring someone younger and it will definitely become creepy and not believable that she would be in a relationship with him!

• Lea says:

Because Nathan Fillion is young and attractive ?

• lame says:

So you’re saying she’s to old? Really.

• Alex says:

So you want a new female lead because she’s 37 but a 45 year old male lead is ok ? Great mentality …

• Harvey says:

GUYS! He’s a Stanatic, his previous posts on Castle always been hate towards Fillion and that’s what he’s wanting right now too!

• CastleBuzz says:

Good to know. Thanks for telling us. He’s on the thread of the previous article as well where I responded against him, not Fillion. Hard to believe that tactic. Sick.

• Harvey says:

WOW! Such a cheap move from you man! Seriously! You’re a crazy stanatic, I thought that before, know it now! Want guys to start saying things to Fillion! I have seen your comments on previous posts, like the 3XK ones, you have said you like Beckett more, Fillion should be kicked off the show, bla bla! You’re a complete example of how moronic fans have become to degrade the other co star!!

24. T says:

I am one of those fans that has become so disappointed with the show that I can usually get most of what I need from sneak peeks. I used to watch reruns over and over but those days are gone. The decline in Castle started when Castle and Beckett became a couple. It accelerated at the end of season 5 and fell off a cliff at the end of season 6. Season 7 has been lost in the woods with no clear direction, purpose or continuity. While I attribute the decline to the show runners and writing I also lay some of it on the principle actors. Their on screen “chemistry” has flamed out and when they are given the opportunity to “be together” (generous description) they are more awkward than convincing. I have not watched any other tv show where the romantic leads appear more awkward or less romantic. Nathan and Stana were great in the no touch, “will they won’t they format”, as was the writing. However, both Nathan and Stana and the writing are lousy in the “what do we do now that we are married” format. I agree with those who say that the show will not be Castle without Stana. Perhaps I am a voice of one but I do not think the show has been Castle since the very beginning of season 5. If Stana leaves the only good thing that will happen is that the writing team will be forced to do something dramatically different with the show format. They might actually get creative and bring in some new people and better stories. It would breathe a new and different life into the show for one season anyway. However, if Stana returns, then the show will most likely continue its format of keeping the leads apart while trying to convince us they are together and are the most romantic couple on the planet. After two full seasons of that, those days are over for me.

• lame says:

It’s impossible to build and tell a good comprehensive story in 42 minutes. That became excruciatingly apparent in season 7. A change in format is 2 years over due. It will only happen if ABC demands it. AWM seems completely in will to do so.

• CastleBuzz says:

I think writing within the “will they, won’t they” framework is much easier since there is innate conflict and tension. Once a TV couple has, ahem, coupled after being in a WTWT situation, it’s difficult to change the writing to fit the new dynamic. All of a sudden, you lose a major portion of the tension between the two and have to find something to replace it, something that lends itself to the same kind of banter and wit. Very hard to do. It’s why so few of these storylines are even attempted in a two-lead show and the few that do often fail to make the transition successfully. It is, after all, known as the Moonlighting Curse for a reason. Shows with the two leads already together from the start, like this year’s Madam Secretary, typically can present a marriage in a more believable way. When Castle began and it became clear Kate and Rick would eventually get together, I had high hopes its showrunners and writers would be capable of making it happen. Not so much since, I guess, mid-Season 5 when it became hit or miss. To right the wrongs now will take a clear vision from the new leaders and some terrific writing from the pack.

25. Luis says:

Really, at this point, what is left to negotiate? Does Stana want $1 more than Nathan is making next year?

• lame says:

From what I understand she wants equal pay for equal work. And both want a shorter season.

• Just one thing says:

That’s interesting. Wonder if they’ll get their shorter season wish. Bet they would’ve had a higher probability had they joined forces on that request.

• CastleBuzz says:

There is nothing out there from any reliable source that substantiates your claims. Contract negotiations are extremely confidential. Only the persons involved know what’s on the table.

• Just one thing says:

Regardless of whether you think Stana Katic is a saint, a diva or just a regular, ol’ hardworking TV actor, it’s hard to believe that she or her agent would try to negotiate more money than Nathan Fillion.
      I suspect ABC doesn’t want to pay her whatever they’re paying Fillion, either. As I said a while back, they really haven’t demonstrated that kind of value for her contribution to the show/network. Which is a shame, but also not entirely shocking.

26. lame says:

ABC most likely has a pay scale for actors based on their notoriety. Both NF and SK aren’t major movie studio caliber, and at top of the scale.

27. Harry Wild says:

Season 8 it about rating. Katic is 37 years old and in real life married.

The show needs someone that younger, more attractive and more athletic then Beckett to atract back the 18-34 age group viewers.

Katic has had a good run as a co-star but a new female detective is needed!

• Harvey says:

• milky says:

Yeah because we all know Fillion’s fans are never crazy …

• Harvey says:

What are you saying????? When did I say Stanatics are all crazy, or none of Fillion fans are?
          Oh but then wait, your both Usernames are ‘mIlky’ and ‘Harry WIld’, capital ‘I’ in both of them, so I guess you just came with another name to defend yourself? lol. I guess you’re not moronic, but just pure childish!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sorry, only one (1) user name per IP address.

28. Danielle says:

I’m a huge Castle fan but one of the things that has bothered me the last 2 seasons is the lack of interaction between Stana & Nathan. I used to think that it didn’t matter but something is off with their chemistry. I remember all the interviews and playfulness and that is gone and apparent on camera. They still have chemistry but it’s just not the same. I really wonder what could’ve happened to cause a seemingly significant rift.

• Annie says:

It is interesting. Would be a great story to hear after the show has completed its run. It’s their business but the visible change in their relationship is interesting.

29. Tom Jeffries says:

Alexi Hawley needs to change careers; he couldn’t write his way out of a wet paper bag! “Body of Proof” was a boring series that yawned 5 minutes after introduction. “Castle” spent 7 years developing a relationship then Hawley decided to rip it apart in 1 season and the ending makes NO sense since Hawley and his writing team spent all of season 8 trying to separate Beckett and Castle…they end up staying married with 4 kids; how chaotic and discombobulated he is in his writing process. terrible writing.