Shadowhunters Finds Its Alec and Luke

Shadowhunters Cast

ABC Family on Friday added two more pieces to the Shadowhunters puzzle.

Matthew Daddario will play Alec Lightwood, the brother of Isabelle (Emeraude Toubia), who fights alongside his sister and Jace (Dominic Sherwood). To further complicate things, Alec wrestles with romantic feelings for Jace, who also happens to be his adoptive brother. That should make things interesting!

Also joining the cast is Isaiah Mustafa (Selfie, Nikita) as Luke Garroway, an NYPD detective who’s looking into a series of supernatural murders. A former Shadowhunter, Luke feels the need to protect Clary at all cost — and I mention that Luke is a werewolf pack leader? Dun, dun, dun.

Shadowhunters, an adaptation of Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments novels, is slated to debut in 2016.

Your thoughts on Daddario and Mustafa’s casting? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Lambsilencer says:

Didn’t know Alexandra Daddario had a brother who’s acting. Now I do. :)

2. jc says:

Damn Matthew is sooooo hot. Iis it just me or is the tv cast way hotter than the movie cast. Especially the guys. I can’t wait to watch this.

3. JB says:

And…they just lost me with the rewrite of Luke’s character. Nope. Don’t like it. They should have stuck to Luke as he was.

• V says:

I agree!

• Amelia says:

I agree, too. So then I’m assuming their changing his origin story as well which kind of sucks!

• Csbd says:

Why would they need to change his origin story? They have him as a former Shadowhunter and a werewolf. So the only thing they have changed is his occupation, which is pretty major, but doesn’t have to change his origin.

4. Shaun says:

Matthew looks like he makes skin masks in his basement.

5. Mary says:

Minor quibble, but shouldn’t Alec have blue eyes? Dark hair and blue eyes are the “favorite combination” :)

6. I was already gonna watch this but casting the old spice guy rockets it to the top of my list.

7. liame says:

And there it is.

8. CAT says:

since when did Luke become part of the NYPD??????

9. Riana says:

Luke is on a horse

10. rian says:

… well, I hope they make sth out of taking away Luke’s bookshop and making him a cop. Might be interesting to see the investigation in the mundane world whenever sth is noticed. Could work!!
    The Alec guy sure is super hot… but will he get blue contacts?? Magnus constantly adores Alec’s blue eyes, part of the Herondale line in the Lightwood gene-pool. Can’t they stick to that?

11. I’m trying to keep an open mind but between Simon’s rocker girlfriend and NYPD detective Luke, I’m starting to worry.

12. First question have any of the people running casting even looked at anyone of these books, or maybe even read one? Two Luke is a book shop owner not a cop hello he’s trying to keep a low profile to keep clare from being discovered. Please please don’t butcher this series their are a lot of people that really love these characters and their “lives”. Books are windows into other worlds please respect them.

13. courtenay says:

shouldn’t Alec have blue eyes like Will? that’s why Magnus notices him in the first place