The Messengers Cancelled by The CW

The Messengers Cancelled

The CW is shooting The Messengers.

The freshman drama, which followed a group of individuals on a quest to find the Devil and prevent the Apocalypse, will not return for a second season, TVLine has learned.

Among the series’ cast was Shantel VanSanten (One Tree Hill), Sofia Black-D’Elia (Gossip Girl), Joel Courtney (The Haunting Hour), JD Pardo (Revolution) and Diogo Morgado (The Bible).

The Messengers premiered April 17 to 1.2 million viewers and a 0.3 rating, down a tenth from Hart of Dixie‘s final Friday premiere and finale. TVLine readers gave the supernatural drama a C+ average.

BuzzFeed was the first to report The Messengers‘ cancellation.

Fans, are you bummed about this? What do you hope to see from the rest of the (only) season? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. AddieM says:

No surprises there, could not even get through the first episode.

2. whitney s says:

I will miss Hart of Dixie, but at least The Messengers is already cancelled!

3. Cory says:

This is really disappointing. It was my personal favorite of the CW’s freshman class. I really hope The CW will air all 13 episodes, as I fully intend to enjoy this show as long as I can. God, they could have canceled any show and I wouldn’t have been this upset… Haven’t been this bummed out since The Secret Circle got canned.

• Bob Jones says:

The Secret Circle . . . too soon :(

• Gregory Martin fisher II says:

I know right i loved that show and i was really hoping for a 2nd season i meean what happened?

• Mark Richard says:

God happened. Not the one who abandoned us in Supernatural. This one is too close to the politically incorrect God of the bible. People aren’t fond of Him. Any show that tries to use the traditional biblical God will never make it in prime time! The days of Highway To Heaven stories are over. I like the show. I admire the writers for going against what’s currently accepted.They’re a plucky bunch. But I know what planet I live on, and I know where it’s headed, with respect to spiritual belief. So I knew before I finished the first episode that, season wise, it would be one and done. I also knew that we’d know it was cancelled before the season even ended. The network probably thought it would be more like Supernatural than Highway To Heaven. I prefer the latter myself, but then, I’m politically incorrect too.

• Virginia says:

Nicely said it its the devil himself that don’t want any one too know about God

• EB says:

You hit the nail on the head, well said.

• K says:

Anything planned to give those of us who did like it some closure? I’m going to take a shot in the dark…it probably wouldn’t have been cancelled if it were a fictional dramatization of themes from, quite literally, any other religion.

• tray71 says:

I loved this.show..was really looking forward to a second.season..Even if it was like Supernatural, that show is going into season 11 so clearly they are getting.it.right!

• Angela ng'ang'a says:

I agree wth u people….this thing should move on.

• Dawn says:

I agree too soon! I barely learned if the show. I would of loved to be able to get into that one. Sounds similar to Supernatural. And I am a number 1 fan if that show.

• Exactly. And don’t forget The Tomorrow People. So many networks keep ending shows way too soon.

• Ashley says:

I completely agree. I really enjoyed this show and I’m super disappointed it is cancelled. It took a little while to pick up speed, but its got some interesting twists now. Too bad they won’t bother giving it a chance!

• Nique says:

I agree.

• Julian says:

Yeah same here I to wish secret circle was never canceled that was a really good TV show!

• Smith says:

<3 Secret Circle, I hope Tomorrowland is good.

• Chris says:

I agree! I really enjoyed the secret circle.

• edith says:

100 % agree, they did the same with Secret Circle. For my I’m done with CW

• Raven says:

The Secret Circle… :( im still trying to heal from those scars.

• John Johns says:

They did cancel too soon. I love this show as much as I liked Secret Circle. They did the same with 666 Park Avenue, right?

• terencio hughes says:

I know right lol

• Aliyah says:

I know I loved the Secret Circle sure it was in realistic but it was darn good and interesting same with The Messengers I was on edge the whole time especially with the episode eight twist

• TellyGeek says:

I agree 100% … and Secret Circle was awesome too!!

• Courtney says:

The Secret Circle was another great show that was canceled to doon

• Dedria says:

They always cancel the good syfy shows!

• mohamed says:

this show is really amazing and they shouldnt have canceled now i m really upset about this cw thing

• jennifer says:

I loved that show. I think networks cancel before a show can get a following

4. wrstlgirl says:

Not surprised but I may still watch to see Riley Smith’s episodes, we’ll see.

• Jenn1988 says:

Can’t believe Riley Smith is almost 40! He looks younger than that which is weird since blond dudes and blonde dudettes usually look older than their actual age.

5. m3rcnate says:

Was expecting it, didnt give it a shot cause 1) It didnt look good, bad CGI. 2) rip off of the current biblical/angel trend, in which Dominion looks way better than it 3) Knew it would get cancelled.
    Hope Shantel VanSanten finds another show, im a huge fan of her since OTH and she was great on Gangland.

• sarahliz says:

This is nothing even a million miles close to Dominion. Dominion is absolutely incredible, this was absolute crap.

• Addiz says:

Dominion was super boring and its not even the same actor who played him in Legion.. hate when they do that..

• Nicholas Massengale says:

Good news for you then, she’s already been cast as a love interest for Barry Allen in season 2 of The Flash.

• m3rcnate says:

Yeah i love that. I love the Flash, i wanted her so badly to be on a show that i love or will love, so this is great. Especially great is her character sounds to be really cute and sweet and flirty and adorable like she really is.

6. BrightLight says:

I enjoyed the first two episodes of the show, but this past one I just couldn’t get into. I actually let it play in the background while I surfed online.If the CW decides to air the remaining episodes (what else do they have to show at this point?), I’ll keep watching to the end to see how they wrap it up.

7. iHeart says:

great they can use that extra hour to burn off Cedric’s Barber Battle, it’s either that or two hours of Whose Line

8. Dizzle says:

Enjoyed the pilot, wasn’t impressed with the exposition-dump of a second episode, but my only hope will be that The CW at least plays out the whole season!

9. mike says:

LOL..i have the first 3 eps still on my DVR that I haven’t gotten two..guess I free up that space now.

• Jay says:

Look don’t listen to everybody and everybody has their own opinion. As for me I had watch all 4 episode and I enjoyed them all. It does have a good twist to it and would love to see more of it. Give it a chance.

10. Mr. Tran K says:

Good thing the CW has canceled both Hart of Dixie and The Messengers. Wonder if TVD should get a proper “final season” next year without Nina Dobrev.

• TVD should’ve been given the boot after season 5. After Klaus left, Julie Plec went crazy with her storytelling. It was like she was trying to create some spectacular fireworks display in Season 5 but it came off like a fart in a bathtub. The TVD show/books have ALWAYS evolved around Elena and the Salvatore brother’s fighting over her. If you get rid of that crucial element, you no longer have the show. I don’t give it much hope for the show after season 7.

11. Jared says:

No surprise here. The CW buried this show and didn’t even give it a real chance.

12. buttercupp85 says:

Not a surprise. I fell asleep through the first episode and wasn’t bothered to try watching it again.

13. Austin Storm says:

Pretty bummed, but it had a slow start – three episodes in and the main characters don’t have a compelling connection to each other yet.

I hope to see more from the cast, especially the standouts JD Pardo and Joel Courtney.

14. Jen says:

Poor show never had a chance. It was DOA, thanks to the CW.

15. Sheldon W. says:

The Messengers was the first show I ever felt guilty about liking – it was just soooooooooooooo bad! I’m simultaneously glad/sad to hear it’s been canceled.

Like I said, guilty pleasure.

16. Jericho says:

Not that I saw more than the pilot (that I watched online), but it was DOA just based on its Friday timeslot with no continuing promotion. This was the type of show they could have premiered in a post Arrow/Flash timeslot and moved to Fridays and maybe someone would have watched.

17. piper40ss says:

Hate to see The Messengers go! Loved the show.

18. Paula says:

I’m so disappointed in cancellation of The Messengers. Just lousy time slot… Great show. I hope they let all episodes run. I sure liked some of the actors too!

19. luie says:

I can’t believe they cancled this show messengers..so dumb, but they will water down supernatural for another ten seasons. They need to kill the winchesters. That show needs to be cancled

20. Daniel says:

oh really why all the awesome series are shutted down??

21. Mel says:

The reason this show was canceled was because it was too generic.

Hear me out… I hated the show from the first 20min of the first episode but I decided to continue to watch it until it “possibly” got better. Nope. It didn’t.
    The preacher trope is so contrived and to add to something already worst, they made the actor speak in a very stereotypical, fake sounding country accent. I cringe every time he spoke.
    Don’t even get me started on the Preacher’s father (who fathered his wife’s children. Gross and unnecessary.)

Then we got Raul, running around, dodging police… He’s supposed to be undercover DEA agent! What is going on? Then they add the niece to his storyline. Lame.

Then they have a Mom and daughter running away from authority and her police-ex. What?! Why? Another unnecessary story subplot.

Let’s not forget the Kid with incredible strength aka Murder suspect.
    Just for writing him as an accidental murderer, you’ve already discredited his worthiness to be “an angel”. I get it, they were gonna give him a redemption story, but no thanks.

Let’s not forget the female meteorologist.
    Such a useless character. I get it, she’s supposed to be the “non believer” and the skeptic in the whole show…. Until she accidentally “discovers her gift”; the ability to be a spirit walker!!!
    What?!? This is something I would come up with when I was 14 writing fan-fic for Charmed and Buffy The Vampire Slayer!
    She’s pretty much useless, cuz when she spirit walks, she leaves her body vulnerable!
    Just like Preacher boy, with his constant migraines during his visions…. Wait… That includes Raul with his mental abilities…
    The only “angels” with powers worth 5 dollars are Single Run-Away Mother; with her ability to heal, and Teenage Run-Away Murderer (now captured) ; with his super strength.

Ugh!! Don’t get me started on Lucifer. This show should be titled “I Hate Luci'” cuz he is the most contrived character out of all of them!
    So Luci, fell from the sky in a meteor ( a meteor that makes flowers luscious, mind you) Then, he’s walking and stalking the chosen ones, tempting them, tricking them, and lying to them with their hopes, dreams and nightmares.
    Why does Luci have to make himself known to the “angels”. And when he does, he always shows his stupid glowing eyes. Ugh!

I’m not gonna say more about Coma Lady. She can understand everything and everyone. Makes sense.

I totally forgot about Meteor Woman aka Spirit walker’s secret: her baby was kidnapped from her and now Luci is promising to lead her to her baby if she murdered someone.
    Newsflash, if you murder someone, you still won’t be able to see your baby because you will be in jail !

Who wrote this show? And why did they get an OK to air this sad story, when they canceled The Tomorrow People ( which was getting better… And less cheesy)

Listen, I’m probably sure that these actors were just lookin for a job, aka Raul (from another canceled show, Revolution) But the show producers have no excuse.
    Put these actors on Hart of Dixie (Canceled too?) or something like that. The Originals and Campire Diaries can use Raul-actor and Meteor woman-actress.

• John Allan says:

. This is CW.. None of their shows have good writing, except maybe The Flash (not terrible anyway), and most of that is due to the rich source material. Supernatural was good.. until after Lucifer anyway. This season is BETTER, but still not as good as 1-5. Yes, some of Messengers is cliche.. okay, a lot of it.. But it’s been on what, three weeks? Go back and watch the first three episodes of almost any show, it’s not enough to decide if a show’s good. I think Syfy should pick it up, maybe it’ll do better there.

• Mel says:

Yeah, I gave up on supernatural; though I stI’ll catch myself being tempted to give this season a try. And I don’t hate The Messengers, the writing just felt like it was written by film students. I’m still watching the show till it’s officially off air.
        And I beg to differ, TheCw has well written shows like (You said it,) The Flash, Arrow (sometimes arrow is too gloomy for me) The Originals, The vampire diaries (sometimes) iZombie (a little more intentional) and from what I hear, The 100…. If the storyline is not that much better, at least the dialogue is what makes these shows work. The messengers were missing on all fronts. Though I wouldn’t have mind that it aired out a full season, that would’ve at least showed us more of what the show had to offer.

• Allison says:

Yes, absolutely YES to everything you said. And Lucifer’s eyes…could that BE any worse??

• Mel says:

No it couldn’t! Perhaps it’s all intentional, kind of like a joke on us viewers!
        But I’m still gonna watch the remainder episode(s) lol just in case I have something nice to say!

• Sheila says:

Totally agree with you, Mel. About 25 different story lines that are sloppy and cumbersome. A failed writing project.

• Abego says:

I agree with you 100%. This show
      Blows.

• alyzbeth says:

Your review about The Messengers made me laugh, because like you said, only 20minutes and all you thought about those characters, actually aren’t what it is. See, that’s why I always say don’t judge a whole season over a few episodes, wait until its over and then you will know.

***SPOILER ALERT!!***

1) Preacher sounds fake because he actually started as that
      2) Erin’s ability to heal aren’t useful at all, the more she heals, the more she leeches whatever disease she healed, like life trading?
      3) Raul was an agent undercover, he only read thoughts not ” mental power” (because there is also telekinesis aside from telepathy :D yay science!
      4)Vera stopped believing after what happened to her with her son but slowly she understands that Lucifer did this on purpose to manipulate someone else’s family to have the child for themselves IF they do what they have to do to get to the next phase of destruction.
      5) Lucifer needs to use the angels because he uses them, he is like a mad man playing chess with everyone’s life (which is hot >.>)
      6) Nadia is not Raul’s niece!! :X couldn’t help it!
      7) Rose? figure that one out! someone who understands and knows every communicative language
      8) Oh and there’s a hot Asian lady that is one of the messengers who appears later on, she can shape-shift on whatever she desires.

And now everyone is like “WHOA what a twist from the pilot” I mean, do you expect to understand all about the characters in a pilot?

• Lynsie says:

I totally agree!!

• Tunrayo says:

I totally agree.. It got much more interesting as it went along…

• Evelyn Thomas says:

I totally agree too. The pilot shouldn’t spill all the juicy details of everything and everyone, it should have you gripped to the entire series.

• Tish says:

This was a great show! I watches the whole season in 3 days, looking forward to finding season 2. Now I am sad to find that there isn’t another season.

• Jacob says:

1) Erins abilities are only like that because they were not a full group yet, so her power is very useful
        2)He also did it because Michael could possibly be the downfall to his whole plan because he is an Arch angel
        3)Lucifer needs the angels because the Horsemen throw Lucifer out on the street and treat him as nothing because as a full horsemen group they are stronger, also Lucifer doesnt want the Rapture to happen
        4)She is the Horseman of Death
        5) But she also loses her a chunk of her memory every time she shape-shifts, (only saying this because you did erins downfall before the whole group met as well)
        6) The 7th Angel is Zahir who can use electrical currents as power outlets and brings the group together as the last member so their powers have no downfall

• wolfka2013 says:

Guess your views aren’t felt by all. The show was very well written. The simple lives of each are what makes it so much better. They canceled it too soon.

• that’s why it is tv a magic box you don’t like you continue in serial which you like most it was nice we had se worse about satan or deaths or nicked it was nice with fantasy

22. kirads09 says:

Well I thought the premise was promising. The writing needed work I do hope they air all episodes. One problem is it never seemed to air here locally when listings had it – maybe folks never found it to begin with.

23. Shannon says:

Somewhat expected but devastated nonetheless. The CW didn’t even really give it a chance, premiering it on a Friday nor was the advertisement anything awesome. The show really deserved better. Hopefully they’ll continue airing the rest of the episodes.

24. Clearly this wasn’t ever going to be anywhere near a “Top Shows” list or win any awards, I’m not delusional, but I’ve definitely ENJOYED the show thus far. While certain elements are cheesy, I didn’t think it was too bad in that department as a whole. I just thought the concept was really good and was broad enough where you could really have a continuous, long-running series. If I wasn’t aware of the ratings, I wouldn’t have guessed that it would be canceled. I’ll probably finish out the season just for the heck of it, unless I get behind somehow then I may decide it’s not worth it.

25. anto33 says:

SO SOON?I don’t understand.

26. John Allan says:

Hmm a show with Christian themes cancelled on CW? Who would’ve guessed?

27. Lucy says:

That sucks! That was one of the only CW shows that I think is any good anymore!

28. Katie says:

The CW sucks, I really love this show. it’s the only show on the network I watch.

29. liame says:

I knew that 15 minutes into episode 1. The writing/acting was horrible. I feel bad for JD Pardon, he was the only one worth paying attention to (IMO). I hope he books another show soon.

30. Paula says:

It was an okay tv show. Just don’t understand cancelling after only 3 or 4 episodes.

31. Jason says:

Give the show a chance to soon to cancel

32. IMHO says:

Couldn’t get through more than 1 episode .

33. MC_Mac_MC says:

It sucked anyways. Worst plot ever and they didn’t handle the Christian feeling right.

34. Tracy Crossley says:

Please don’t cancel the show I love this show keep the show on please

• fan says:

Please sign petition at :
      change.org
      Search: CW and find Messangers
      Then share it on Facebook so all your friends and family can sign the petition as well :-)

35. Tracy Crossley says:

Please don’t cancel the show I love this show please give it a chance

36. Threasa says:

I found Messengers series interesting and hope someone else will pick it up and continue the story to be told.

• Tracy Crossley says:

I love this show too it’s very interesting I hope they give it another chance or another channel picks it up

37. Bruce says:

I liked this show wa s lookingforward to the Devil getting his in the end

38. Jonathan says:

Well hopefully they give it some closer. I’m sure the finale has already been filmed but man wouldn’t it be nice if they could wrap it all up in 1 season. I think it’s kind of slow any way.

39. brittany says:

Please don’t cancel the messengers. It has an incredible story line and I enjoy watching every minute of it

40. mauricio parry says:

Why cancel a good show that keeps me entertained.so sad that cw did this to alot of people bot good

41. Tara says:

THIS SHOW WAS SO GOOD. why would they cancel it?i loved it so much.

42. Diva says:

I hope they air all of the episodes. I guess the Powers That Be only need one season to put out their Message. I was enjoying this show.

43. arlene says:

Keep the messenger on cw tv. I think its good.

44. Reggie B. says:

Myself I’ve really enjoyed (The Messenger) & hate to see it go so soon. & I see no comparison to it & Dominion

45. Cristian says:

A secret circle working with the devil such as famous people

Episode to get longer

46. Glenna says:

I really liked this program but why watch any more if it is being cancelled.

47. Kinda disappointed. It may not have been the best show so far, but I still would like the season to finish out. Tie up loose ends.

48. Dhira Rozaandiar says:

Well, it is a great show. I like how the story goes, and there must be other people out there who like his show just like I do. The story is about devil and angels, which is almost every religion believe in them. They shouldn’t cancel the show

49. Wow Already ? The show just started for god sake’s . The show had a slow start but all good shows have slow start. Shame on you CW for not letting the story unfold before canning it.

• alyzbeth says:

Problem is people these days just think some online hero review of a first episode (where not even they were acknowledging their entire mission) and how it slowly grows, because a TV show is meant for that, not to rush it in and make it just seem like there was not an intention for people to grow with it. Honestly they should never cancel a show until season is done and they watch how many views they got, etc. So far individually every episode slowly got to become watched more than the previous and watch it when it’s over the season, people will regret it (I mean, they already are haha)

Ugh guys, never judge an entire TV show season because of a pilot of 45 minutes. I always watch every show at least first season at end I decide whether if it interests me to know what happens next or what -_-

• fan says:

Totally agree with you. Was setting up On Demand for tonights episode and saw “Nothing” listed for The Messangers for 6/26/15 so it looks like the last episode was on 6/19/15!! So………… bummed!!!! Just when this show was getting interesting! Has anyone started a petition? That seem to be the only way to get shows back.

50. Kim W says:

I actually had hopes that this would improve ala The 100. It really could have been something cool if done right!