Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: Arrow/Flash Spinoff Series Legends of Tomorrow Among 3 Dramas Ordered at The CW

The CW New Series 2015

The CW jumped into the fall 2015-16 fray on Thursday, ordering three pilots to series including Arrow/Flash spinoff DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

The network also handed series orders to recent Showtime casualty Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Julie Plec’s outbreak thriller Cordon.

That said, there were also several CW pilots that did not receive series orders: Marc Cherry’s Cheerleader Death Squad, the reboot of Tales From the Darkside and the ghost-centric drama Dead People.

DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
When heroes alone are not enough… the world needs legends. Having seen the future, one he will desperately try to prevent from happening, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter is tasked with assembling a disparate group of both heroes and villains to confront an unstoppable threat – one in which not only is the planet at stake, but all of time itself. Can this ragtag team defeat an immortal threat unlike anything they have ever known? The cast includes Victor Garber (The Flash); Brandon Routh (Arrow); Arthur Darvill (Doctor Who); Caity Lotz (Arrow); Dominic Purcell (The Flash) and Wentworth Miller (The Flash). Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg and Sarah Schechter are the EPs.

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND
Rebecca Bloom is a successful, driven, and possibly crazy young woman who impulsively gives up everything – her partnership at a prestigious law firm and her upscale apartment in Manhattan – in a desperate attempt to find love and happiness in that exotic hotbed of romance and adventure: West Covina, Calif. (it’s only two hours from the beach! Four in traffic). The cast includes Rachel Bloom (Robot Chicken), who also serves as executive producer along with Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada); and Marc Webb (The Amazing Spider-Man).

CORDON
When a mysterious and deadly epidemic breaks out in Atlanta, a vast urban quarantine is quickly enforced, forcing those stuck on the inside to fight for their lives while local and federal officials desperately search for a cure. Cordon stars David Gyasi (Interstellar); Christina Moses (Starship: Apocalypse), Chris Wood (The Vampire Diaries), Kristen Gutoskie (Beaver Falls), Claudia Black (Farscape); George Young (Casualty), Hanna Mangan Lawrence (Spartacus: War of the Damned) and Trevor St. John (One Life to Live). Julie Plec and David Nutter are the EPs.

1. StephonJS says:

Legends of Tomorrow. nice title. Seems like an American Horror Story style show

2. tina says:

the flarrow spin off yes! that girlfriend show maybe another julie plec show NEVER!

3. Guy says:

I’m starting to understand why The CW basically renewed its entire fall schedule (+ iZombie).

4. Sara says:

Isn’t the last one basically just Under the Dome, sans Dome? Less cow cutting, more people disliking each other?

• Kvivik says:

It’s exactly UTD without the dome.
      Have to admit, I loved the cow cutting scene. :-) was very well done.

5. Melanie says:

Cordon seems really interesting, i’ll be tuning in for that one. I’m still really confused about legends of tomorrow though.

6. Matt C. says:

Am I the only old school O.C. fan who remembers “Rebecca Bloom” as that annoying woman who Sandy almost cheated on Kirsten with?

7. mike says:

Decently explains how Sara is brought back. Immortal enemy..Vandal Savage maybe? or UGH..Kang

8. BrightLight says:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend sounds like Hart of Dixie for lawyers and although I loved HOD, this one sounds boring to me. That being said I thought Jane The Virgin’s summary sounded stupid last year and it ended up being one of my favorite new shows of this season, so who am I to judge?

• John NYC says:

Those summaries often make me wonder how ANYONE would pick up the show, sort of the same with the character summaries used for casting more than sometimes.

• BrianR says:

Can’t wait to see them sitting in traffic for four hours to get to the beach. Rivetting. I like the Cheerleader Death Squad title much better. As for Cordon it sounds like a beached Last Ship to me.

9. Steven says:

They chose the worst characters from The Flash for this spin off. Wentworth Miller’s in particular comes off as a cartoon. The way he talks is so annoying. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend sounds like a typical rom-com and very anti-feminist. And Corden just sounds too bleak and depressing for me. Plus Julie Plec destroyed TVD so my faith in her is extremely low.

10. Mary Kate says:

I’ll definitely give Crazy Ex-Girlfriend a try – I need a lighter show to fill the void left by Hart of Dixie!

11. Mr. Tran K says:

Legends of Tomorrow looks promising.

12. John NYC says:

“it’s only two hours from the beach! Four in traffic”

LOL, SO true.

13. Dean says:

I’m still wondering if they’re bringing Sara back or if Lotz wil play a diffrent character completely.

• John NYC says:

Given the time travel hook there might be an “alternate timeline” hook, or a bit of a prequel? She did spend a lot of time away from Starling City…..

• ScottJ says:

Rip Hunter can possibly assemble his team from anywhere in time – although if he does yank them out of their own timeline they would have to eventually go back again.

14. Jared says:

I’m just happy The CW renewed most of the series I already watch on the network. Other than DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, I think I’ll pass on the other two pilots.

15. Ray says:

The logline for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend sounds dreadful. Why was Cheerleader Death Squad passed on? Because it was an original premise and not another DC comics property?

16. alistaircrane says:

Dang, I was hoping for Tales from the Darkside. :-/

17. Bwhit says:

Reading the concept of Legends of tomorrow makes me even more excited for it. I think it will be really interesting seeing heroes and bad guys work together, I’m in for sure.

18. Danielle says:

ANOTHER Julie Plec show? Because that’s what the CW needs. Lord knows she is so good at keeping shows going. 😑

19. Ian Barber says:

Very excited for Legends of Tomorrow! Sounds like a lot of fun!

20. Drew says:

Legends of Tomorrow sounds like it could be very interesting. I don’t know why they have been so secretive about who Lotz is playing. Given the premise, it seems pretty obvious that not every character will come from the same point in time. (might we eventually see Jonah Hex?)
    I think this series would work best as a way to fill the empty space left when the other shows are taking their winter break. Not sure that a full season is really in order. And now that all four shows are officially a go, I will once again say that this makes me worried for the future of Arrow and The Flash. Arrow desperately needs to get back on track, or they might as well cancel it. I’m worried that they won’t give it the attention that it needs.

• Katie T says:

According to Victor Harberton, Legends of Tomorrow will start mid season, January I think he said. They apparently only start filming in August.
      Also saying they may as well cancel Arrow when it’s getting 0.8/0.9/1.0 every week and is basically steady on last year’s ratings even with the supposed drop in quality of the story is a little silly given CW shows even get renewed at 0.4

• Katie T says:

Victor Garber I meant obviously. The auto spell on my phone has lost the plot

• Drew says:

I wasn’t talking about numbers… it’s a useless discussion when dealing with the CW anyway. What I’m talking about is the fact that Arrow started out as a series with a great reputation. The press held it up as the example of what a comic-based series should be, comparing it to the disappointing Agents of SHIELD. The show was dark and gritty. The fight sequences were well executed and grounded enough to feel real. The characters were organic and moved in natural directions. The plots evolved on their own. The twists and turns were meaningful because they were natural.
        The show has become anything but that this season. Many fans who have been watching since season 1 and who once loved the show are now counting the hours until the season is over, hoping that season 4 will fix the damage. The press never reports on the quality of the series anymore. That honor goes to Daredevil, which is remarkably similar to the feel of Arrow’s beginnings.
        If they don’t take the time and put in the effort to fix what they did wrong this year, they might as well cancel the show, because its reputation will be gone. The fans might be willing to sit through one failed season, but not two. Not with so many other options coming our way.
        Arrow has one of those casts that is fun to watch, on screen and on social media. They love their jobs and do their best with what they are given. We all want to support them. But that good will can only be pushed so far when the writers (and other departments, like stunts) are not putting in the effort that the show requires.
        The show never had great ratings. It never will, compared to the other networks. What it had was reputation.

• Very good points. I agree this season of Arrow has been a big let down (minus any suicide squad episodes). They really burned some people with the whole Laurel becoming a skilled fighter in the matter of 1 season and the League of Assassins story line has really dragged. Flash is much more enjoyable for a CW based show, I think this new 3rd show could be okay if it leads to having Booster Gold as a regular character. But everything I heard so far has it like a convoluted mess, will hold final judgement till I watch a few episodes.

• Drew says:

Laurel does need to get knocked down a few pegs. Maybe an injury that benches her for a while, leading to more training.
            They should have done a flash forward somewhere this season if they wanted her out on the streets.

• ChrisGa says:

Agree with you regarding the Flash; not only my favorite CW series but one of my favorite on any network right now.

21. Sarah says:

Legends of Tomorrow seems good and anything with Wentworth Miller in I’m watching…
    The rest doesn’t seem to interesting but will see

22. Daisy says:

If Victor Garber is in Legends of Tomorrow, does that mean that Robbie Amell is as well?

• herman1959 says:

No, it’s already been announced that Robbie Amell is not going to be going the Flash/Arrow spinoff – remember, the Victor Garber character and Amell’s were separated on The Flash. I’m just glad that the spinoff won’t be all Atom.

23. So is that how they bring Sara back? Time travel? I assume Rip brings her in to whatever time he’s playing in, the entire series happens, then he returns her so she can go die in Arrow. lol

24. I wish The CW would find some new executive producers to work with!

• herman1959 says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Berlanti gets the spinoff off the ground and then leaves – he also has another show just starting up with a completely new premise (not comic-based).

25. Makeshiftpack23 says:

Cool show

26. Riana says:

I was hoping the show with Alexandra Chando would be picked up. Maybe she can be a new character on The Vampire Diairies, even they turned her down for Elena,

• Jared says:

I miss Alexandra Chando on my TV. Was hoping her pilot would be picked up. Maybe the network will add her to an already existing series??

• Dude says:

Isn’t she still on Hindsight? She seems to be groomed as Sean’s new love interest now that Paige is gone so it’d be weird if she was abruptly written out.

27. Becky says:

I really didn’t like Sarah Lance on Arrow, so I’m hoping she’s playing a new character. (Though I doubt it since the shows are in the same universe)

28. The Book Geek says:

So if Kai’s (I mean Chris Wood) has been cast in a new show, does that mean Kai is obviously not making it out of S6 alive? He’s been one of the most amazing additions this year, I don’t want him to go!!!!!!

• Magali says:

Best TVD villain in years. Chris Wood is an awesome actor. But I am not convinced by this Cordon summary…

29. Boiler says:

And another reason I won’t be watching the crap that is now the CW

30. Ryan says:

What does Dominic Purcel’s character bring to the group trying to save the world? I like him as an actor, but he is basically is a guy that has a cool gun. Wentworth Miller’s character at least appears to be some kind of criminal mastermind.

31. Eric says:

Looking forward to at least two of these series. I was looking forward to Cheerleader Death Squad and Tales from the Darkside though.

32. Joey Padron says:

happy the spin-off show got pickup. good title for the show. I guess Sara could be alive again thru time travel. good info about the show.

33. Andy J says:

West Covina is actually quite nice. It would have been funnier if “Crazy Ex Girlfriends” was set in Victorville.

34. Walter says:

Legends of Tomorrow and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend seems like good shows, but Cordon lost me with Julie’s Plec name (the downride for TVD and The Tomorrow People were enough). I really wished that Cheerleader Death Squad and Dead People make it =/

35. Nicolás says:

The CW needs to have more normal shows, right now their entire schedule seems like SyFy for children.

• alex says:

normal shows are boring for the most part.

• Gigantor says:

Dumb post. Why you even here? Go watch the major networks then. Normal doesn’t necessarily mean better. How many of those shows have been canceled because they suck? CW has to be commended for being different and interesting. Fox already hopped on the bandwagon with Gotham, ABC with AoS and Agent Carter, NBC with Constantine, and now CBS is joining the fray by taking on Supergirl.

36. raven64 says:

Cordon because of Trevor St. John!!

37. Lex says:

Am I the only one who thinks the name of the Flash/Arrow spin-off sounds like a ride you’d have in Tomorrowland? It would be perfect in between Space Mountain and Star Tours. Eh, not too hung up on it; as long as Caity’s involved I’m in, Arthur Darvell has never faltered before, I’m hoping for a Hawkgirl/White Canary? ship (instead of hooking them up with the guys), and I’m really glad Ray’s not gonna be the leader of the team. Getting him out of Starling and having Arrow screen time wasted promoting him will also be really nice.

38. Dj says:

The title of the Flash/Arrow spin off fits perfectly with what the show is going to be about. So will this mean the Sara in the show is from the past before she is killed.

39. jake says:

dang was looking forward to tales from the darkside :(

40. Louise says:

Will we see Robbie Amell in the “Legends Of Tomorrow” ?

41. Welcome… TO THE LEGENDS OF TOMORRRRRRRRRRROW!

42. Luis says:

Given the size of the cast, I hope Rip Hunter’s time machine has a LOT of room inside.

43. JC1 says:

I was really really excited about LoT when they first started talking about it. But I’ve lost a lot of my enthusiasm for it the longer they’re dragged out this issue of who Caity Lotz is going to play. I thought they were keeping it secret so as to not spoil some future twist on Arrow, but at this point that looks unlikely.
    I’m almost to the point of saying that whether I watch this is going to depend on whether we’re really getting Sara back or not, and it’s not something stupid like she only has limited time before she has to go back to die. That would just be adding insult to injury. I like Ray and Stein, but not enough to watch the show for them. I’m not crazy about Cold, and I don’t like Heatwave at all. And I’m still irritated about the six guys to two girls ratio. When I first read about this show, I was really hoping for more female characters.
    So I’m really hoping that Caity is playing Sara, otherwise I’m thinking this will probably be a pass for me. :(

44. Michelle says:

Cordon is probably based on the Belgian/Flemish show with the same name?

45. Cordon is the only one that interest me, sense I don’t watch Arrow or the Flash, I am not interested in watching a show connected to them! And Crazy Ex-Girlfriend just sounds silly, and I can see why Showtime passed on it! Cordon reminds me of a zombie book I read, where a whole state, I forget which one, was cordoned off and people who were still healthy were trying to find a way out, so it kinda sound interesting to me!

46. Maggie says:

I would be more interested in “Dead People” than “Crazy Ex” or “Cordon”, too bad it didn’t make the cut. Legends of Tomorrow looks pretty good but I am not sure that franchise isn’t getting stretched a little thin. Arrow kind of lost my interest half way through this season so I am skeptical, but will certainly give it a chance.

47. Gigantor says:

Why would they need Heatwave when they have the more powerful Firestorm?…unless Prof. Stein cannot turn into Firestorm because Ronnie Raymond hasn’t joined the team.