Scandal Recap: Foxtail Is Revealed!

Scandal Season 4 Recap

This week’s Scandal succeeded on the Case of the Week, the Mellie-for-Senator and, yes, even the B613 fronts.

Huh.

The COTW fired a missile at the hotbed issue of military rape, as VP Susan Ross gets wind of a female ensign (The Bridge‘s Emily Rios) who’d been assaulted. Stonewalled by Fitz, who’s not about to upend 200 years of doctrine by having the government intervene with military self-jurisdiction, Susan enlists Olivia, who sets out to prove that “decorated and celebrated” Admiral Hawley raped (and got pregnant) the ensign.

Liv’s investigation hinges on proving Hawley’s whereabouts, and the Navy’s not about to turn over such “sensitive” data. And though Fitz fends off Liv’s request at first, one bedtime strategy session with Mellie later, and Fitz gets the needed docs into his ex-mistress’ mitts. And though the logs do support Hawley’s supposed alibi, Liv suspects that his captain was faking the card swipes. After a corroborating video “leaks,” Hawley confesses and Mellie seizes a chance to use the big win for women on the campaign trail, even firing a few (agreed-upon) barbs at her husband in the process.

Meanwhile, in the apartment across from Olivia’s posh digs….

When Huck and Quinn take a breather from torturing Russell for info on Command’s mysterious “Foxtail” op, Jake chats up his brother from another father figure, seeing as Rowan would regularly compare them to one another. That sets up a rather entertaining game of “Who can do the best Joe Morton impression?,” as they take turns quoting Command chestnuts. Jake urges Russell not to kick himself for being found out by Liv, because that is always Rowan’s plan, to prove to his daughter that he is always in control, by manipulating her life and those in it. Later, the COTW dovetails with the B613 sitch, when Judge Advocate Travis Cobb, the “goofball” who’d been (barely) helping Olivia with the rape case, turns out to be a cold-blooded B613 grunt who KO’s Huck and sets Russell free.

As Quinn & Co, bemoan that they now may never find out what Foxtail is, we hear a Secret Service agent refer to Mellie by that call sign as she slips away to meet with a deep-pocketed donor — Rowan.

What did you think of “A Few Good Women”? And what is Command’s plan for “Foxtail”?

1. TAL says:

Reblogged this on Cerulean Chronicle and commented:
    Attention Gladiators! The following is a recap of ‘Scandal’ 4.21 – A Few Good Women,” courtesy of TV Line:

2. madhatter360 says:

If Foxtail is Mellie’s secret service codename it seems a little odd that the team (who works closely with the white house) wouldn’t know that. Aren’t Secret Service codenames not actually secret? Or are they only revealed to the public after they’re been changed?
    My roommate thought that was a B613 agent (undercover as secret service) signalling to Rowan or other B613 people.

• AS says:

I agree, it’s probably a term that B613 uses specifically. Olivia definitely would have heard Mellie’s code name before.

• Jamey says:

Here is my concern, though could be silly but would keep B613 around. The Vice President is B613-… She picked out the rape victim.. Daddy knew exactly how it would play out, so he brings in the “guy” to play stupid but get Russell. I think the play will to get rid of Fitz so his agent will be president and he and his organization would be safe, he wins again and controls the world- in his view.

3. abz says:

One more episode, Shonda. One more episodeleft for you to finally kill of the terrible, awful, horribly acted character of Rowan Pope and end this stupid B6-13 storyline once and for all. This season has been subpar enough without dragging this nonsense into next season.

• ChrisGa says:

I’ve previously liked Joe Morton in other things but, man, am I tired of watching this over-the-top, scenery chewing, histrionic “performance” he’s been giving over the last two seasons. Enough already.

• clemie eckert says:

Agree.. Either get rid of him or make him stop his hollier than thou attitude or better than all-enough of this guy. It’ not real even tho the show is a soap opera at night.

• pauladuffy says:

So with you on the B613 mess going bye-bye for good.

• AddieM says:

I like papa Pope…He’s a great villain

• abz says:

I think he’s a terrible, poorly-written, and poorly-acted villain who is not benefitting the show at all whatsoever, along with the tired and endless B6-13 storyline. They both need to go.

4. Cheyenne says:

Why is Rowan helping Mellie get elected, or have they been in cahoots all along? I hope it’s not the latter because if it is, it means she was complicit in the death of her son.
    Oh well, she never was the maternal type anyway.

• sladewilson says:

She doesn’t know Rowan. Wait until she finds out who he is – Mellie’s gonna go ballistic…

• Cheyenne says:

I dunno… Mellie isn’t stupid. She didn’t act like she was just meeting him for the first time.

• Tired of NOnsense says:

Think she may have met Papa Pope when he was in the hospital the same time Jerry was dying after PP had been attacked by Mama Pope.

• pauladuffy says:

I’m thinking he’s not helping her. More likely he uses her for yet another blackmail effort to keep himself and B613 around and safe from those who want it gone.

5. angel says:

Lol, can’t believe bumbling, sweet Travis Cobb is now a B613 agent with the ability to take down Huck.

• Ram510 says:

My thoughts exactly! It was hard to take him serious in this role it looked like Travis was playing dress up. But it was nice to see Travis Cobb again, oh how I miss Cougar Town

6. Hayes says:

I wanna know why anyone with a sane mind thinks that Rowan, or B613 in general, is actually good for this show.

7. herman1959 says:

So, now every other person that Olivia runs into is part of B613 or related!. Jeesh, I hope the one episode left is enough to clean up this mess. Mellie meeting Rowan better be part of some plan to take down Rowan as revenge for her son’s murder. And no cliffhanger either – I’m not following B613 into next season.

• Cheyenne says:

If Shonda pulls a cliffhanger I’m betting there will be an enormous drop off next season. Cliffhangers are only good between the first and second seasons. After that they are just tiresome.

8. Jake L. says:

It seems to be pretty clear that Mellie doesn’t know who Rowan is. Why would Fitz tell her about B613 and put her in danger, especially after what they did to Jerry? I think his plan involves threatening to kill the First Lady unless David, etc. drop the B613 case.

9. Tracey says:

WTH is this mess,what happened to the show I onced loved.

• Mikaela says:

I’m so over Scandal that I turned it off the second Greys was over. This b613 plot is taking over what this show used to be.

• I’m intrigued… what did it “used to be”? The B613 storyline has been around for quite some time. Did you prefer the horrible Olivia-cries-all-the-time-and-pines-after-a-married-man storyline? Or the first few episodes before the show found a footing? Storylines evolve in every single open-ended format, be in TV series or book series or even a film series. That’s the way it goes. B613 is a part of the show. It’s what makes it drama. If that’s not your thing, I’d say just don’t watch.

• oh well says:

I love when you guys say don’t watch , as if you own the show. I should note your B-613 storyline is the worst spy storyline ever written on a show so yes people will hate it. season 1 was much better than 3 and 4 so I don’t know what you mean about the show finding its footing because without it you would not have this stupid , idiotic, asinine storyline that is B613 that you believe is so great. As much as I hated Olivia crying over Fitz the storyline made sense (as much as Scandal could make sense). This B-613 crap with Rowan , Jake and now Russell is nonsensical , so it doesn’t make it drama, it makes a third rate Alias wannabe. I really hate B-613 and everyone involved in it.

• AddieM says:

Uhmm so stop watching the show then because I don’t think this B613 is going away anytime soon. Worst storyline ever written?? Are you new to TV?
            I like how the B613 arc is progressing and unfolding, there’s so much depth to this storyline. I’d rather take this anyday than have the endless Olivia/Fitz pining for each other scenes. I hope Scandal keeps on going like this, Rowan is a great villain.

• oh well says:

Addie you can keep your show then and when its on the verge of cancellation, you’ll beg for viewers like me and the other 2 millions to come back to this s$!#fest.

10. Sam says:

Like just about everyone else, I really hope they resolve all things B613 in the finale and we can finally move on.
    For next season, I would love to get back to more focus on the case of the weeks. Someone through the seasons and with the character losses we’ve forgotten that OPA is supposed to be a law firm with actual lawyers. This episode is the perfect spring board to make Abby come back to OPA because she wants to be a gladiator again. I think it would be perfectly logical and just wonderful. B613 should be completely gone, which means no more Rowan and no more Russel or any other B613 agents. I think they should bring in a new character to work at OPA and be another lawyer. I read another article saying a new gladiator is in fact confirmed, so hopefully that’s true. Really as interesting/dramatic as the torture can be I really miss the days of huck being a computer guy. Also its not as powerful when it happens like every episode. Since there’s typically a whole season arc, I think it would be great to pit Olivia against another law firm. Like for some reason every client she takes on, the opposing side is represented by the same people. As the season goes on we find out there’s no coincidence and some big reason why the other law firm is going after Olivia.
    I think focusing more on the legal aspects and case of the weeks would really re-center the show and put it back on its feet with some of what made it so great in the first two seasons.
    I have enjoyed “Huckeberry Quinn” torturing Russel, but its time to go back to Scandal originally was and what made it so great. Not a show about B613.

• kdawg says:

OPA is not a law firm. Olivia says that in season one episode one. They’re fixers. I thought papa popes character was great and I think he deserves an emmy. B613 snap brought us Jake Ballard which is a good thing. I do agree with you though that the B 613 arc needs to be out to bed. Enough already let’s move on and let opa get back to fixing.

11. Darcel says:

I give Scandal one more season before it gets cancelled. It has become terrible. B613 and Jake have to go. No Olitz in the whole season. If I knew that, I would not have looked at a single episode this season. This episode tonight was terrible and the season finale is next week.

• Cheyenne says:

You think every episode without Olitz is terrible. For heaven’s sake, grow up already. Scandal is not Olitz and Olitz is not Scandal.

• Darcel says:

Cheyenne – I don’t think every episode without Olitz is terrible. However, I have watched every episode of Scandal and I do think that it has gone away from what made it a hit show and that if it keeps going down this path, it will keep losing its fan base. I don’t think initially Scandal was suppose to be a spy drama.

• Cheyenne says:

Scandal was written as a political drama, not as a romance. I agree that bringing B613 into it was a terrible mistake and I lost all respect I ever had for Joe Morton as an actor after watching his interminable rants.

• AddieM says:

Olitz may have been part of the reason the show became a hit, but it also became part of the reason the show declined. Will they, won’t they angst is exhausting and was only tolerable in season 1 & 2.
          I’m liking how Fitz is making an effort to support Mellie, that’s a lot of character growth we’ve seen in Fitz’s character since season 2. At some point Shonda needs to end this whole Olitz craze and Olivia needs to be with someone fresh & not complicated, no Jake or Fitz ! She’s had enough complications as it is. Hope Papa Pope will be in the next season, he’s great.

• oh well says:

Addie , you have no clue what you’re talking about. Scandal went rown because there has been no Olitz, it’s a poorly written that has so many plot holes you need dozens of sanbags each episode to fill them. People can get over those if there is an emotional core and like it or not that core is Olitz. The second part of season 4 is down because there’s no Olitz, they’ve been on screen together for 20 minutes at most during this arc so it’s not angst, it’s total absence. To say that it’s Olitz that’s killing the show tells me you’re being intellectual dishonest.

• oh well says:

Cheyenne,they have been terrible,how can you argue differently.? The show is not well written so it needs a hook so OLITZ is the hook ,without it, the flaws become too noticeable to let go.

• Cheyenne says:

Then why in the world have you been watching it all season? If you complain about a show week after week after week, and you keep watching it anyway, nobody can take you seriously. Why waste your time watching a show you think is terrible? It’s like reading a bad book. There’s no point to it.

• oh well says:

Why do you seem so angry about it.?It’s trash, I happen to like trash, I just think it needs a hook and OLitz is the hook.

• AddieM says:

Wow you are such a child! Scandal is not all about Olivia and Fitz, if anything they are what’s wrong with this show! The less we have of their angst, the better

• oh well says:

You calling people children is laughable. What angst, they have not been together at all. The show is dying because the story is laughable and there’s no one to root for, no one to like. People tuned into Scandal for many reasons and for many of them it was Olitz, they didn’t get so they moved on and as you keep suggesting , they stopped watching YOUR SHOW. I am going to take your advice and stop as I suspect that many others are doing as well.

12. niloofar-90 says:

Seriously, Travis Cobb is a B613 agent?

13. Ram510 says:

It was an ok episode but with it being the penultimate I expected more twists and more of an over arcing story in general. It was almost like Shonda is done with this season and ready to move on to season 5 already. This was nothing like last seasons penultimate episode

14. I pray every day that Rowan Kills Fitz. I’m so sick of the Sally Hemmings mystery hour. With the Mousy VP as POTUS, Mellie gunning for her spot, and Olivia fixing for both sides while fending off her father, this show could be great again.

• Carol says:

Racist much? It is very interesting how some black men are fans of useless whiny entitled (everyone owes her for her poor life choices) Mellie but love to denigrate Olivia who has had a much tougher life than Mellie but survives without whining and gets things done. Olivia even helps that silly Mellie who does not deserve her help.

15. olá, tudo bom?, somos a indústria MinhaProteína. fabricamos e entregamos suplementos de alta qualidade como Bcaa.

Temos um compromisso full time com a qualidade superior dos produtos e com o relacionamento
    com nossos clientes.

Sempre buscamos conteúdos atualizados para ler e acabamos chegando no seu web blog.

Caso esteja interessado em Whey Hidrolisado ou outros suplementos, faça uma visita no nosso site!

um grande abraço

16. Josh says:

This show has jumped so many sharks…so now Mellie is evil and working with the people who killed her son?

• Cheyenne says:

Unless she doesn’t know Rowan killed her son. And that’s just one problem. Forget about sharks, Scandal jumped a whale tonight, having Rowan show up anywhere near the White House knowing Fitz wants him dead. Unless he has an inside assassin in place.

• oh well says:

How is it you can criticize but no one else can?

• Cheyenne says:

Do you see me whining about the show EVERY SINGLE WEEK? Once I’m done with a show, I’m done. I just stop watching it. I suggest you do the same.

• oh well says:

Who whines every single week,I made an observation. Cheyenne, yyou don’t like b-613, you stomp your feet and say you’re not coming back. Someone says the show is bad you feel the need to tell them to not watch, that’s hypocritical.By the way 2 million people have stopped watching, eventually you and Shonda may get your wish and more will stop.

• Uyai says:

Well actually Cheyenne, in all fairness, you’re the weekly whiner. Remember when you used to whine and whine over olitz, then moved to B613, then to Rowan, now the entire show? But you’re still here.
            Anyway, we’re all tired but love the show. Sort of an ” I hate that I love you” situation.

• Cheyenne says:

No, sweetie, I never complains about Olitz. I think Olitz is great. I’d love to see more of it, not less of it. But it’s not what the entire show revolves around.

• ayannali says:

Rowen was in Springfield, VA after Mellie’s speech and introduced to her as a major doner to the campaign.

Not sure why people thought it was the white house.

• Hopeful says:

Rowan wasn’t in the White House. He met her in the Springfield venue where she just finished her campaigning

17. Renee says:

Tonight’s episode was good. I think Shonda is going to wrap up the B613 story line in the finale. Unlike some of you, I actually like Poppa Pope. Joe Morton is a good actor who I believe is going to be on a new show. The COTW involving rape in the military is unfortunately true. Kudos to Shonda for telling the story. I’m looking forward to the finale. Shonda will not disappoint!

18. Melanie says:

I really like this season! Lots of Mellie/Fitz, doing whatever it is they’re doing, I just like them interacting. Lots of Olivia/Jake, same reasons. Very little Olitz, which is so dull and played out. But I was hoping this recap would refresh my memory on the exact significance of Foxtail, cause my memory sucks. ha. But if this whole thing gets Mellie killed, I’ll riot!

• oh well says:

If Mellie is killed,that may actually make the show interesting again. A game changer they have been promising for two seasons now but never happens. As far as the cocouples’ interactions, they can’t compare to OLitz.

• Drew says:

This season is the definition of absolute crap. Story wise and relationship wise

• AddieM says:

People who watch the show for Olitz need to just stop watching altogether!

• oh well says:

They’re starting to that’s why the ratings are in the toilet. I do hope they end Olitz and this time remove the hope and see how low the ratings go. You really need to stop with the don’t watch thing, you sound like an imbecile, you don’t own it and everyone has the right to their opinion.

• Kat Aston says:

Mellie and Fitz are so boring. Fitz loves Olivia so much, he and Mellie remind me of brother and sister. This is why Olivia and Fitz can’t be together? So Mellie and Fitz can hug each other.

• Sweetweeny says:

If you consider Olitz dull and played out, you haven’t looked at the ratings. This show has lost over half its viewers from the Season 4 premiere because the writers were trying to make B613 and Jake happen. The show went from 12 million viewers (season premiere) to 7 million and posted some of its lowest numbers to date with a 2.2 in the demo. The show even lost viewers from last weeks episode.

I know some fans like Jake, but he is not enough of a compelling character to make people tune in every week. The show has given him every opportunity to really shine and have given him good material, but it still doesn’t work for most fans. People are just not interested in a powerful fixer dating a reformed assassin. Also, his character cannot stand on its own feet – the character either has to play off of Olivia or Fitz.

• AddieM says:

I’m loving the Mellie/Fitz scenes as well. I’m hoping this is the start of them repairing their r/ship. I’d like to see Olivia move on from Fitz, I know Fitz cannot stop loving Liv but I’m sure Liv can, she needs to stop. We need to move past Olitz and find a healthy r/ship for Liv. Fitz needs to focus on helping his wife for once.

• Kat Aston says:

The show will continue to go down if Olivia and Fitz are not romantically involved. You can’t pull fans in for 4 years with two people that have so much chemistry together and then all of a sudden they are no longer the main couple. They have already lost 2 million fans and right now all they still have is the Glitz draw. It doesn’t make sense to have two actors with so much chemistry not interacting. Sleepy Hollow found out that the fans wanted to see the main couple interacting and not a third wheel. Scandal still has a fanbasr, but they are losing them. I guarantee if they put Fitz and. Mellie together that will destroy the show.

19. lindseyj47 says:

Wasn’t his name “Virgil Punkett”? Who is Travis Cobb?

20. Brenda says:

Someone let me know when this B613 mess is over so I can pUt Scandal back in my DVR. Until then I am out.

21. Tracey says:

This time next year Scandal will be on the verge of getting cancelled.

22. ellajwade says:

Shonda and crew, PLEASE get over Joe Morton and get rid of his character. Scandal needs to get back to its roots. So tired of everyone looking stupid except for Rowan. REALLY?

23. Regina Phalange says:

You all need to grow up. If you want to watch a show with the same formula every week. Try Law and Order. Geez. Shonda has showed time and again, her shows are not just about certain characters. This show is as badass as it was in Season One. You want romance, go watch Lifetime.

24. Erin B says:

I want the B613 stuff done too, & like others have said, wrap it up in the finale. Please don’t drag it into next season. It reminds me of “Alias” with the Rambaldi device & all of that crap which brought the show down. The case of the week plots after the ridiculous Olivia kidnapping have been good. Keep those up & bring it back to its glory.

25. Erica says:

I think the fact that the little navy lawyer was B613 is perfect. Of course an agency like
    B613 would have people who look like him be trained agents – because nobody would suspect someone like him — and it worked. It’s those everyday people types who are the excellent agents because of their “every person” appearance, people. The B613 story has reached it’s endpoint with me as well. I hope Shonda is moving it to the endgame this season or perhaps in the first 1-2 episodes of the next season. That’s it. I, too, enjoy the story of the week format.
    I always find it fascinating how the Gladiators solve those problems. And dear God above, no Ofitz. I am so over those two it isn’t even funny. I find Fitz emotionally and morally weak and am just over that relationship. Apologies to Ofitz fans, but that’s it for me. If they do get back together, and I’m sure they will, I’ll just FF through the romantic stuff. It burns my eyes (hahah kidding). Would like to see Abby back with the team.

Question: Didn’t I remember reading somewhere that there was going to be a new Gladiator? Is that still happening this season?

26. Luis says:

Well, who’d you think was going to be bankrolling Mellie, the Koch brothers?

27. obeznani.pl says:

Są zwykle zrozpaczeni i zagubieni, ponieważ właśnie stracili to co towarzyszyło im całe życie i na co długo pracowali.

28. Mam w rodzinie chore dzieci na wysoki pziom bilirubiny czyli
    żółtaczka wrodzona ( choroba dziedziczna) oraz małego anemika.

29. Caitlin says:

The only people who hate Jake are Olitz lovers. You guys are so transparent. Scott Foley/Jake is awesome.

• Carol says:

LOL – right he is so awesome that the show has gone from 12 million viewers to 7.5 million viewers and 3s to 2s in the key demo ratings since his stupid B613 storyline took over the show. YAY!

Scott Foley is a show killer. Any show he appears on starts to go downhill and gets cancelled. Why? He may look good to some people but he is a terrible wooden actor.

• oh well says:

If that’s the case then we’re not in the minority because the ratings are on our side. “It’s going down, I’m yelling timber ” LOL.

• AddieM says:

You are right, Jake is great, he’s a great addition to the team! I’m glad this season had not Olitz watsoever!

• Darcel says:

Jake is terrible or should I say Scott Foley is a terrible actor. Scandal use to be so good in seasons 1 and 2 before B613, Jake, Papa Pope, and before Mellie’s rape was revealed. Why did both of Olivia’s parents have “issues”?

30. Luis says:

Travis is a stone killer? Jules is going to need the EXTRA large wine glass!

31. Le Search engine marketing PR – Search engine optimization and public relations est un métissage entre communiqué de presse en ligne et Search engine optimization.

32. Broker może, więc zarabiać na różnicy między ceną, jaką wskazuje na swojej platformie a ceną, którą sam jest w stanie uzyskać na “prawdziwym” rynku.

33. Cheyenne says:

The internet is going apesh*t with spoilers that three or more people will die next week. Obviously it won’t be Fitz or Olivia, and I doubt it will be Huck or Quinn since OPA is down to a skeleton crew already. I’m guessing three (or more) of the following:
    Jake
    David
    Rowan (please God, let it be him)
    Russell (Rowan will have him killed for failing his mission)
    Huck’s wife and/or son
    Charlie
    Feel free to add to the above.

• Carol says:

Useless lazy Mellie so I don’t have to listen to her whining. I feel like slapping her through my TV whenever I see her entitled pseudo-feminist face on my screen.

• AddieM says:

If Fitz died, it would solve all my problems!

34. Visit the specialty stores near you to find these items.
    Dance like ballet and tap dance require special kind
    of footwear so that the dance technique can be learned properly.
    Comfort, security,andconvenience should be some of the things to consider when cholsing travel
    gear.

35. Mary says:

Hello Steven, Can you get the Russians to take Papa Pope out!

36. Chick says:

I’m so glad that someone addressed a heretofore taboo subject on TV. rape in the military. This issue is more common than people think, and it’s ironic it took a popular TVshow to address it.

37. kew1224 says:

Please let papa Pope be gone. I hope this is not another B613. I am so tired of listening to his rants and i am tired ofhim killing people and i am sick of looking at him smirking,l hope some one takes him out. I am also hoping Jake will be around for a good while longer. I feel Jake was to good to be knifed by Russel so easily

38. niloofar says:

Ratings in the first half of the season were fine, despite of Jake having plenty screentime the ratings went down because of the the kidnapping and selling of Olivia and Fitz declaring war and Olivia breaking up with him AGAIN. If Jake dies in the finale,and Mellie’s had time to mourn Fitz and Olivia will be having sex every episode, Cyrus said something to Fitz in the season premiere about that everyone knows what happens when the two of them are in same room and he’s heard the story before knows how it ends.

39. help wanted says:

Good write-up. I absolutely appreciate this site. Continue the good work!

40. Enough of Joe Morton and his getting away with all he does. Leave him in jail or get rid of him, we are tired of this guy..