Grey's Anatomy Recap: Tunnel Vision

Grey's Anatomy Recap

You ain’t slick, Grey’s Anatomy. This week, the show tried to move us past the shock of Derek’s death and the “aww” of Ellis’ birth by distracting us with another of the mega-calamities for which the series is infamous. But did it work? Read on, then we’ll discuss.

FRESH MEAT | As “Time Stops” started, Richard was welcoming a new group of “chicks and ducks” – interns – to Grey Sloan. “Were we ever that young?” asked Mer, eavesdropping on Webber’s speech with her peers in the gallery. In short order, a bunch of them – including The Mentalist’s Joe Adler – were assigned to Stephanie. “We are learning to be surgical gods,” she said, channeling Bailey.

CRUSH GROOVE | After a catastrophic tunnel collapse, ambulances were used more as hearses to drive the deceased – 13 at first – to Grey Sloan. When survivors finally started being brought in, Mer, Amelia, April and Maggie were sent to the site and tasked with operating on a man named Keith who’d been crushed — and was still trapped — in his car. “It’s pretty bad,” Mer admitted to him, “but I’ve seen worse.” Alas, he was beyond repair. Sending Mer, Amelia and Maggie back to the hospital, April (extra tough since her tour of duty) stayed behind to be with Keith as he was cut out of his vehicle and presumably died.

PAST TENSE | In the wake of Amelia going off on her over leaving the site of the accident when maybe, just maybe, they could have helped Keith, Mer tried to explain why she’d gone radio silent during her year away. But, of course, that that wasn’t why her sister-in-law was pissed — she was pissed because Mer hadn’t called to give her a chance to save Derek before pulling the plug. “How far away was the hospital?” Amelia asked (more like “accused”). “How long were you sitting there waiting for them to declare him brain-dead?” Though Mer insisted that it had already been too late for Amelia to have done anything, the neurosurgeon refused to hear it. “I pull off miracles for a living,” she said. “I should have been there.” Twisting the scalpel and gutting Mer, Amelia added, “I didn’t get to tell him goodbye because of you.”

THE HONEYMOON’S OVER? | Though it was her and Richard’s wedding day, Catherine showed up at Grey Sloan to help with the tunnel collapse victims. “Surgery is sexy, honey,” she told her intended. After a while, he asked her whether, under the circumstances, they should postpone the nuptials, and stunningly, she was cool with it – and already had done so! Almost immediately thereafter, the bride-to-be shut down Owen’s untried treatment plan to save a teenage victim of the collapse… and Richard sided with Hunt – against maid of honor Jackson – to allow the procedure. Learning what her future husband had done, Catherine fussed that she didn’t need him to explain the situation, “I need you to follow orders!” (Ca-rack!) “I made the right call,” Richard insisted after the treatment worked. But Catherine assured him that she’d pick a replacement for the interim chief who could toe the line. (So much for his recommendation of Bailey to take over since Owen didn’t want his old job back!)

JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE | In other happenings, Reign’s Giacomo Gianniotti made his debut as Andrew, an intern who happened to witness the tunnel collapse (nailed it, Ausiello) and then stuck by an injured expectant mother – Keith’s fiancée – who was treated by Stephanie. (Mind you, at first, he passed himself off as a bona fide surgeon!)

(NOT ALL) UNHAPPY ENDINGS | As the hour drew to a close, Richard confessed to Bailey that he didn’t think of the wedding as postponed so much as cancelled. “I’m not sure I wanna go down the road” again, he said, “if it’s gonna go nowhere.” Jackson admitted to Owen that he and April weren’t on the same page since she returned from overseas. “Give her time,” Owen advised. Alex balked at Jo’s notion of following in April’s footsteps and working with the army. Mer told Alex that she’d come back to Seattle, but it didn’t feel like home… so could she stay with him for a while? Absolutely, he replied. Maggie got an upsetting phone call from her mom (we didn’t hear about what). And April showed up outside Grey Sloan with Keith still stuck in his car – he’d have a better chance of pulling through to meet his newborn if he was cut out there than at the site of the collapse!

OK, your turn. What did you think of the Kevin McKidd-directed episode? Did you forget for even a second that Derek was gone for good? Hit the comments!

1. s says:

If Jolex are over, I’m done. Last straw.

• ? says:

But how else is Meredith going to (eventually) end up with Alex?

• JustMe says:

My mind immediately fast forwarded to an eventual Alex/Meredith love relationship when he showed up as her emergency contact last week. I have long thought they would be a good couple. Derekcwas sometimes so cold and hurtful.

• LC says:

And Alex isn’t? Ha!

• nursejazz says:

@LC, you have a point, Alex can be brutally honest at times. I didn’t like him in the first seasons because he use to be too condescending. Now his character has developed and he has a nice balance. Still don’t like him for Mer though, they are better as friends.

• nursejazz says:

@JustMe, I agree. There were many times that Derek tried to surpess Mer.

• Chels says:

I completely agree with this comment. As the series has developed, Derek a long time romanticized character became more selfish and his dynamic with Meredith was less interesting. If I recall (correct me if I am wrong) he worked a lot and his relationship with Addison began to break down, she also wanted kids though I am unclear if at that point he wanted the same back then. He has always been an ambitious career man and outwith being McDreamy I never really found him engaging, although the character was always written sincerely with his patients.
          For a long time the dynamic between Mer and Alex has been changing, they became best friends, they share a common bond of being the last 2 original interns. They have taken care of each other for a long time. Derek often tried to stifle Meredith and push his career further usually at the expense of hers. Sometimes the love of your life is not always the right person for you.

As fans could we really see Mer in a relationship with someone outwith the current universe of doctors? They could repeat the intern/attending relationship from Mer’s perspective but we’ve seen that. I think she deserves to be happy and I think we could get an interesting enough story from his departure from Jo and how he grows together with Meredith. He’s certainly grown up enough to take on a surrogate father role.

• Chels says:

I should add, after the childhood Meredith had, shouldn’t Derek have strived to provide stability for both Meredith and his children, he couldn’t even decide to fight for Meredith in the beginning instead going back to Addison then the nurse (Rose). He always knew the kind of person she was.

Anyway I have written way too much and I always loved MerDer but its definitley time to move on!

• I have to agree with you..If you look back at Derek, he never really matched with Mer. He was an ass for most of the seasons. Alex is not supposed to be with Mer. He is her other person, which Cristina knew and why she left Alex her board seat. Jo is so boring she is like a Rebecca/Izzy mash up minus the not going off the deep end. Stephanie reminds me out a George/Bailey mash up. I see Mer becoming Ellis minus the coldness. It should in the episodes when Derek was not there because she became what Cristina told her she needed to work on. She was a better doctor when he wasn’t distracting her with his melodrama.
            I think they need to build more on April and I am loving Amy a lot more. I wish they would bring Derek other sister Kate to the show. We have never met her so it could be interesting.

• LC says:

So does that make them Meralex (too much like the laxative) or Aledith?

• Mary says:

I hope they don’t. I want a new love interest for Mer down the line, it is to soon now. Alex and Mer are great as friends, he is becoming her person and love story would ruin that.

• Erin B says:

I’d be happy with someone new later or just no one at all with her focusing on her career. I would love to see her win a Harper Avery in the final episodes. Plus, I kind of like Alex with Maggie.

• They have ZERO romantic chemistry but it seems that Shonda is heading in that direction anyway. I love their friendship dynamic but I just don’t see any sparks.

2. Jess says:

I’ve come and gone from Grey’s many times over the years but I might actually leave for good this time if Shonda ruins Jackson and April.

On a different note, I really liked the Amelia/Meredith scene. Can’t blame Ameila for being so upset.

• Elsa says:

I’m with you: please do not mess with April and Jackson!! They are my absolute favorite and splitting them up doesn’t make any sense at all. I will quit if it happens.

• The April/Jackson coupling has been one of my favorites. I would be pissed as well.

I understand Amelia’s reaction but I also understand Meredith’s decision to do what she did. If my sister-in-law pulled the plug on my brain-dead brother before I had the chance to say goodbye, I don’t know if I would ever be able to forgive her but it is impossible to react to tragedy in a way that will please everyone, especially when the decision/reaction affects you the most. That scene between A and M was heartbreaking, as was Meredith’s reaction. I’m still pissed about D’s death but there has been some top-notch acting these past few weeks.

• nursejazz says:

I agree with you 100%. The only reason why Amelia might forgive Mer as would I is because of the children. I would want to build a relationship with my Nice’s and nephew. Still forgive comes with time.

• Plus, Amelia is a junkie. Had she tried to save Derrick or and then been forced to say goodbye as a result of a failure to save him, the consequences for her could have been far worse.

• nursejazz says:

I agree that there would have been consequences because she would not have been able to save him. When she said she could do miracles and has done things no one can do I was done with Amelia God complex. Regardless, Mer really should have called her to the hospital. I kinda think that Mer is acknowledging that she might have made a mistake. Her reaction was priceless.

• nursejazz says:

@Jess, I like the Amelia/Mer storyline also. Last week when I saw the preview I wondered why she waited a year to confront Mer ( which I think she had every right to be upset). When I saw the episode this week it made sense. The mass casualty brought back memories and with that came hurt. I think that even in real life if you feel like someone really hurts you, it does not matter whether its a year or two later everrytime you reflect on it that hurt will feel like it just happened. The only time it gets better is when you address it to try and put closure to it. At the same time I realize that this is only a fictional TV show because there is no way in hell someone is gonna walk in to a hospital and say you are a doctor and they put you to work just like that without admitting privilege. At the end of the day TV entertainment is just that, entertainment and not something that’s gonna consume me so that I lose sleep over. I always enjoy watching and submerging myself in it for a hour or two, but then CLICK ! & back to reality.

• Luli says:

As always just as the season ends she screws all couples….

3. Mary says:

Loved the Mer/Amelia scene. Felt really sorry for Amelia.
    Loved how Mer wants to move back in with Alex to her old house. I think that will be the final straw for Jo.
    And wonder what Maggie’s phone call was about. Any guesses?

• Jess says:

Her parents are getting divorced?

• csdsdance says:

Divorce

• nursejazz says:

It seems like Maggie’s parents are getting divorce. I feel that season 12 will be the last season so they are going to be wrapping up all the major players storylines. I am excited to try and guess which direction each storyline is going and then see if I am right because I love a challenge. You know Jo gonna be pissed, but how could she ask Alex to give up what he worked so hard to build just like that. I hope that they fire those three interns, especially the one who losen the woman cervical collar & the one who blatenly lied about being a doctor. The girl should be fired because you never, never discuss what they were discussing in front of a patient.

4. kn1231 says:

I was hoping that the end of Meredith and Derek would be the beginning of getting Callie and Arizona back together because Shonda wouldn’t want to have both fan bases upset. But it looks like every relationship is on the rocks. Not sure where this is all going to end. What I am predicting is that next season of the show will be announced as the final season. I’m not a Derek fan, but everything seems to be leading toward closure for the series.

• abz says:

Callie and Arizona are toxic together and were just plain not fun to watch. I’ve enjoyed each of them much more apart. I like their interactions and I like each of them individually a lot more this season. I’ve always been a Callie fan since she came on, but this season I’ve also found myself liking Arizona a lot more than I used to

• I think that it all depends on contract-negotiations and ratings. We should see over these next couple weeks if there is any blow-back from Derrick’s death(as promised by many an angry fan). If the rating’s hold and most of the regular players sign on for a few more years, I don’t think that Grey’s is dead quite yet.

• amy says:

I immediately cancelled it from my DVR and haven’t watched since. If he comes back? Maybe. But she killed him off and that was the end for me. Couldn’t just find a way to work that one out.

• If more people truly stopped watching when people like Shonda do what they do, I think that showrunners would stop making such terrible decisions. Characters die all of the time and people get upset but, at the end of the day, we all live with it. Derrick’s death was something entirely different to the point where it felt like a betrayal of the worst kind.

• nursejazz says:

@kn1231, I also feel very strongly that next season is the final season and that everything is leading toward clousure.

• Erin B says:

I totally agree. I think it’s time to wrap up & give the main characters a good conclusion. No need for us to get into the lives of another new batch of interns. Let it go out on its terms while it’s still (arguably) good.

5. jewlz82ca says:

So… With so many people living with Alex… Is this the new Full House spinoff everyone is talking about?

6. dave says:

McDreamy number 2 enters the picture as an intern. So much for Dempsey says Shondra.

7. Donna Leonard says:

Too much too soon. It’s not going to make us forget about the fact that Derek was killed off quickly (Um..Shonda). I remember not liking it when the last set of interns was introduced. Granted the ones that stayed have developed into interesting characters. I liked Amelia’s character better when she was on Private Practice. I predicted last week the possibility of Alex and Meredith…well you know.

8. mantua says:

Crazy theory : Andrew is Derek’s son from a high-school / college sweetheart.

9. Bex says:

I feel like April Kepner is going to end up Chief…. And I’m ok with it.. Running off with the army toughened her up and got her ready for the job!

• Engineeress says:

April has been so annoying and whiny since she started. The writers seem to have been making her stronger lately to keep a few fans happy. I’m still annoyed with her. I’m totally fine with writing her off the show.

• I was thinking the same thing – I can just see Catherine thinking the move to bring the guy in the car to the hospital is ballsy and if she is Chief maybe she won’t leave Jackson. I think the set up is there.

10. EM says:

Anyone remember the episode where Mer and Cris are old and cooking a chicken in Mer’s original house? That is the new end game since they killed Derek off. I thought at the beginning of this year that Mer would somehow be back at her original home. At the beginning of the season she looked very comfortable at Alex’s home. Plus all the flashbacks to it. The dream home was for Mer/Der. No Der anymore. Not home. But I thought she’d buy it back from it Alex. Not enough room for all of them. Dream house is dead thanks for rhimes. Now home to Richard and Catherine or a wedding venue I suspect.

11. trainwreck says:

Solid Episode! I am kinda liking this BadAss April Kepner!

• zac says:

remember when Cristina always used to call herself badass. and then lexie started calling herself badass too. damn I remember the most random things

12. Mare says:

Mer will trade Alex her new house for her old house… He can house all the cats and mice newbies.

• EM says:

No. Alex is a bar rat and scared of woods and bear. Buy out. 11 years out Alex can afford a close in apartment.

13. Sam says:

This show is the master at reinventing itself, and there are so many possibilities for it’s future right now. I loved the omage to past episodes thrown into this one, and I found Meredith’s breakdown after Amelia yelled at her to be such an amazing moment. I think that and I’m just speculating, but I think something may have happened between April and Owen during that year together for some reason. The thing I’m really on edge about though is that phone call Pierce got at the very end. I’m missing Derek but I’m also really excited about where the show goes next.

• Grey's Fan says:

Totally agree with you. If Shonda and ABC had planned for Season 12 to be the end, they would not have killed Derek. They would’ve left him in D.C. until the finale in May 2016 and then had the annoying “happy ever after” for Meredith and Derek. Personally, I love the new possibilities right now… I really want to know more about April and Owen in the desert (I’m glad both of them are changed from the experience because it wouldn’t make sense otherwise.)
      I’m wondering if Jo is leaving at the end of this season… Or, perhaps she’ll leave and return a few episodes into next season. I can see Jo leaving. Stephanie and Ben can handle the residents role.

• Babygate says:

Agreed! After last week’s episode I was ready to give up on Grey’s but this episode felt like a new thing, even though the old/original elements are still present. I want to hate Shonda for all the huge misses, but when she hits it, she hits it hard.

• Jenks says:

I also agree. I may one of the only people on the planet who is not that sorry to see Derek go. The way Shonda did it was bad, very bad, but his behavior this whole season has been super-selfish and not good enough for Meredith. (I know: I blaspheme!) I’m OK with seeing where Meredith goes on her own. I don’t really see romance in the cards for her and Alex — he is her new Christina and I hope they stay friends. I also hope Catherine goes far, far away and stops teasing the poor Chief with icky sexy talk one minute and “you will do my bidding” the next. And, please, for the love of God, bring back the real Bailey. Beyond that, I’m up for seeing what happens next with the rest of the characters.

• nursejazz says:

Me too.

14. Beth says:

I’m not a big Amelia fan but caterina was great tonight.

15. Nicole Vosberg says:

Ok you all have to be blind. She will end up with Alex sorry saw it coming after Christina left. He plays a great evolved charcter. I disliked him in the beggining but he is all that is left!

16. Adrian says:

So are Alex/Meredith happening because that’s the vibe I’m getting from the show. I feel like they having been slowly setting it up all season. I can’t be the only one who sees that. Right?

17. Amy says:

I’ve noticed more chemistry with Maggie ans Alex vs Mr and Alex.

• Amy says:

Oops….Maggie and Alex vs Mer and Alex

• abz says:

Agreed. I like Alex being Meredith’s new Cristina. He’s like a brother to her. Maggie definitely had more romantic chemistry with Alex than Mer.

• Grey's Fan says:

I’m hoping for a Maggie/Alex relationship next season. Also, I’m kind of hoping April and Owen got real-close during their year together in the desert… I like them both being the bad-ass trauma surgeons they were in this episode.

• abz says:

While I am not keen on seeing any more prolonged relationship drama between April and Jackson, one positive that could come out of April/Owen would be having the show finally end the ridiculous Owen/Amelia pairing. I’d be all for them getting rid of Owen entirely to be honest, but my main concern is Amelia. I’ve always love the character/Caterina. I just don’t like that pairing. It doesn’t feel natural and I’m not seeing any real chemistry there. Pair her with that new intern guy they introduced this episode if they must pair her with someone. Just no more Owen/Amelia please!

• nursejazz says:

@Amy, I think so too. Maglex sounds good to me. The show is a true example of what creativity is. It has revenged itself and has open up numerous storyline possibilities.

18. Alichat says:

I expected Amelia confronting Meredith to be louder and more chaotic, but I think the way it happened…..much calmer but direct….was more powerful. Amelia was completely in the right. If Derek was brain dead, what would be the harm in allowing his family…..at least the one who was probably 10 minutes away….a chance to say goodbye to him? I am guessing Maggie’s bad phone call was her mother telling her she’s divorcing her father. Catherine was really out of line, and that whole exchange was just weird. And speaking of weird, what in the world is going on with Jo and Alex……why’s he giving her the cold shoulder?

19. N says:

This show doesn’t make me feel good anymore….darn

20. Larc says:

Amelia is a total bwitch. Everything has to be all about her and her feelings. With any luck, she will decide to leave.

• abz says:

So, Amelia should not be allowed to feel anything about her own BROTHER’s death? Amelia was completely in the right in this episode and if you can’t see that then I don’t know what’s wrong with you. Meredith was going through a lot, of course, and perhaps she was right that Amelia couldn’t have done anything to save Derek. However, she never even considered Amelia, Derek’s own SISTER who lives with them, or his mother or other sisters before she pulled the plug. Amelia never got the chance to say goodbye to him. And Meredith leaves for almost a year and basically any anger, hurt, or frustration, Amelia had to just keep inside and bury it.

• Angela says:

I guess there is something wrong with me too because I thought she was wrong. When people marry, that union takes presedence over everything and I’m sure the doctors who helped Derek perform miracles everyday just as Derek did. Truth is people die. Amelia had the same attitude in Private Practice.

• Alichat says:

I don’t think this has anything to do with what connection takes precedence over another. It’s about considering and acknowledging that there are others who loved Derek too. Yes, Amelia is a great neurosurgeon like her brother and because she couldn’t see his injuries, examine him and read his chart, she will always wonder “could I have done something…..could I have saved him?” But the most important part of that confrontation is that Meredith didn’t allow anyone else in his family to say goodbye to him. As his wife, she has final say on whether he remained on life support or not, but she never allowed anyone else the chance to hold his hand one last time, speak to him as she did, touch his face as she did. Perhaps as time goes on, Amelia will be thankful that she didn’t see him in that condition, being left with that moment as the last memory of him, but right now, she doesn’t feel that way and her anger is justified.

• Laurie Sanford says:

Remember the episode where George was brain dead and Alex didn’t want Izzy to know because he was afraid she was too fragile and might code again? Callie told him that if he allowed George to die without giving Izzy a chance to say goodbye she would never forgive him. This is what I was thinking about when Meredith made the decision to withdraw life support from Derick. So many people didn’t get to say goodbye. In real life thisis wouldn’t have happened, but there’s only so much episode time. While it’s been clear that PD has had one foot out the door all season, the abrupt departure was unplanned and the writers had to play the hand they were dealt. There simply wasn’t time for everyone to feel their feelings at Derick’s bedside. Everything about this death is chaotic and fly by the seat of your pants. It feels choppy and awkwardly handled because it is. PD leaving suddenly wasn’t the plan. Eventually, yes. But not there one day gone the next which is why the plotlines have been so unrealistic and ludicrous – not enough time to think all this through and smooth it put so it flows better.
        Amelia may forgive Mer for this, but it’ll take a while.

• abz says:

I get that, but Amelia wasn’t just anyone to Derek (just like Izzie was pretty much the closest person George had, even moreso than his own family). Amelia was his sister. The sister he was shown to be closest to out of all of his sisters. They were together when their father died. They had their issues, but loved each other very much. Meredith knows this. How could she not? They live together. The rest of the characters, it’d have been fine to see their reactions afterwards. They all loved and cared for Derek, but they weren’t the most important people to say goodbye. Don’t get me wrong, I thought what Meredith did was a very Meredith-type of thing to do. It was never easy for her to let family in (remember Susan Grey, Lexie, Derek’s family, etc) and that was also pointed out to her last a few seasons ago when Derek’s sister Lizzie (Neve Campbell) came to visit. She made the decision, but that decision can be viewed as quite hurtful and selfish and inconsiderate, which is why Amelia (and Derek’s family) has every right to be upset and why Meredith brokedown in the closet because she knew she hurt Amelia. I’m sure eventually Amelia will be able to move on, but like you said, it will take some time.

• nursejazz says:

@Larc, she might be, but she is absolutely right about feeling the way she does and she has every right to confront and express her feelings to Mer.

21. Dil says:

I loved this episode…Owen was finally back to being McBadass…and kepner in that last scene was HAWT!

P.s. How beautiful was merediths acting when she cries in the supply room !

Also, Bailey CANNOT be chief. I can barely tolerate her. Given more power.nuh-uh..not happening..

• abz says:

The thought of Bailey being chief is ridiculous. It’s bad enough she got a seat on the board. Four seasons ago, I would never have thought this and she would have been my first pick for chie, but the show has slowly been ruining her character. She has her good moments every now and then, but she’s a lot of what made her special. The unethical behaviour she’s shown over the past few years and the OCD storyline that was started and then just dismissed and ignored. Just too much has happened. It’s ridiculous for her to even be considered so soon after all these things have happened.

22. Babygate says:

Awesome episode. Felt new and old at the same time. I approve of new hottie intern, but he needs to buck up and gain some confidence. April rules! Most epic moment when she rolled up with that car. Really liked Jackson as a maid of honor and I’m glad there’s some tension with Japril because that means some attention and screentime, as long as they don’t break up. Love them together! Bailey for chief! Ellen Pompeo for the Emmys! Callie and Arizona have a patient but don’t even speak to each other??? Loved the throwbacks. The attendings mouthing the Chief’s speech was all kinds of emotional and heartwarming. With a year between their earlier fling, Owen and Amelia make more sense now, even though I still don’t like them together. Overall, amazing episode. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

23. A3rynSun76 says:

I like the symbolism in this episode. I like that they are trying to get back to their roots. The biggest problem I have with that is they’re using Meredith to do it. She’s dressing like season 1 mer (same shoes and low ponytail) and she’s moving back into her old house. That was just one episode. I can see them having her go back to being reckless with her life and so on. I get that she’s gonna be messed up for awhile, but it almost feels like it’s undoing everything Derek did that made her a mentally healthy person. I’d hate to think that died with him.

24. kacey says:

I soo did not like April a few years ago (hoped she would be fired, die or leave many times) but lately I’m loving her! Badass april is awesome

25. Angela says:

To me, the series was over last week, after the episode about Mer’s disappearance/coping/birth. I felt that was a good way to say goodbye to a show to which I’ve committed 10+ years. Looking at this recap… I’m glad I did; no desire to watch it now. Can you say “jumped the shark”?

26. Angela says:

I am leaning more towards this being the final season. How many episodes are left or was this the finale?

27. nursejazz says:

Greys Anatomy was amazing this week.

28. i think this Mer/Alex thing is way too soon… I don’t think anybody else can be more fitting for her than Alex at this point, but … give it some time. I still miss Derek. Happy Alex and Jo will break up- they are annoying, Jo is annoying. I really hope April and Jackson stay together. I really hope Webber and Jackson’s mom stay together.

29. Tiffany says:

I’m still hoping somehow that this is all a ratings ploy and season 12 will begin with a rewind episode where we see what really happened after Derek’s accident. Meredith called Amelia and she saved his life. He has to recover but he’s alive. “She’s Coming Home” episode was like a dream sequence.

30. RUCookie says:

Barely a comment about Catherine and Richard, why? I was horrified at her ” do my budding” and “do what I told you” comments… She has always been controlling but that was out-of-control. She has taken her foundation’s support of the hospital and gone off her rocker. Her and Richard are done… There’is no coming back from that tirade.

31. Saabgirlatx says:

I was totally angry that no one thought to put the smashed car on a flatbed and take it to the hospital (classic Greys move) then there comes April!!! Loved it!!

32. Brent says:

Am I the only one that thought APRIL looked looked like a freaking superhero when she rocked up with the tow-truck-car-patient sandwich?

33. Amanda says:

I was a bit turned off by Stephanie channeling Bailey, I would have preferred that be Bailey or for Stephanie to be more original.
    And I really hope Mer and Alex don’t get together, they are better with friends. I can see him with Maggie though. That is what I thought was being foreshadowed last episode with the two of them together waiting on Mer to return.

34. HBH says:

They need to cancel this show. I understand we are all emotionally invested because it’s been so many years, but why on earth does it keep getting renewed. I just watch it because I want to finish the series now, not even because I’m excited to watch it.

35. Luli says:

A lot of heartbreaking moments in this episode, but THAT ENDING! Kepner ftw! I just loved the hopeful ending. Also I’m enjoying the Mer/Amy storyline, I hope they explore it more.

36. Nate Mayhew says:

That final scene was fantastic. Super April gave me chills. I’m glad this wasn’t a two hour finale back to back, as she deserved that final moment.

37. Teresa says:

I want to know why Mer didn’t sue the hospital for Der’s death. They were totally at fault.

38. Pat says:

April really was great, in this episode. I love how she had that car brought back to the hospital with Keith in it. Her time in Afghanistan has really made her stronger with her decisions. Good for her. Amelia, yes Meredith should have called her I give her that but otherwise I have never liked this character and now she has this God complex about performing a miracle on her brain dead brother even though Meredith told her there was nothing that could have been done.

39. amy says:

This show didn’t get cancelled after they killed Dempsey off? It shouldve been.

40. Ava says:

Grey’s Anatomy started off with a simple concept. Put together a group of multi-dimensional characters interacting in a dramatic medical setting. And, much like the successful show M.A.S.H…the writers didn’t stick us with a constant barrage of non-stop intense emergencies each week. Instead, we got to connect with the characters personal lives. There were funny episodes mixed with light drama. Some episodes were more emotionally wrenching. But, I liked that the creators didn’t take the easy way out each week. Unfortunately, when I watched the episode where Derek was killed off, all I felt was manipulated for ratings. If the viewers start to question the motivation of the writer/creator…instead of enjoying the storylines, then we lose the magical connection that kept us watching from the beginning.

41. Rosemary Hilden says:

I am heartbroken about Derek/Patrick leaving the show, but I am still watching Grey’s.

42. Janice Soltys says:

Without MER/DER the show holds no interest. The lead and most loved couple are no longer on or interacting together. There is no one actor strong enough for the draw the show needs going forward.

43. Judy Richards says:

Did Owen buy Meridith & Derek’s house?

44. Susan says:

Meredith should eventually end up with Owen. He would gladly let her career soar because he would be thrilled to be a dad. He was always good with Zola. He and Meredith have always had a strained relationship, so that would be a nice story line to develop.