Forever Cancelled at ABC

It turns out ABC’s Forever will not be living up to its name.

After only one season, the supernatural drama — about a New York City medical examiner named Dr. Henry Morgan who who has been dying and coming back to life for the past 200 years — got the axe on Thursday.

The news was first made public, rather heartbreakingly, on Twitter by Alice Evans, the wife of star Ioan Gruffudd:

UPDATE: Gruffudd offered his own thoughts on the cancellation via Instagram early Friday morning. “I knew the numbers hadn’t been great, but I also knew the studio and the network both loved the show, and of course that it had an incredible fan base… so I thought we were in with a pretty good chance,” he wrote, adding that he was grateful for “a chance to play the role of my dreams, even if it was only for a year. To have been given the chance to bring Henry to life.”

TVLine’s renewal scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

Forever fans, are you bummed that Dr. Morgan has faced his final death? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Shannon says:

WRONG WRONG WRONG. This is a terrible decision.

• Megan says:

Of course they did. Heaven forbid any vaguely original shows/stories be given any real opportunity when all the networks have 100 rehashed and played out pilots to choose from instead.

• Barbara Gambrel says:

I so agree.

• kaidenshi says:

While I don’t agree with you that it’s original (“Highlander” and “Forever Knight” were obvious inspirations), it was still a very entertaining and fascinating take on the immortal drama genre, and the character of Adam in particular was compelling and mysterious enough to carry the show. I’m glad they tied up most of the loose ends, but I feel cheated that we won’t ever learn why Henry and Adam are immortal. The only common thread was revealed in a throwaway line about Adam dying by the same dagger as Julius Caesar, while trying to protect him from the mob. Henry similarly died trying to protect the slaves on the ship, so perhaps their selfless acts are the catalyst?

Too bad we’ll never know.

• sanchopanza says:

You forgot “New Amsterdam” with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on Fox. Also cancelled after one season.

• Fred says:

So does that mean Ioan Grufford(or however you spell his name) next show becomes one of the most popular and acclaimed shows on tv?

• Nan says:

@Fred I’m crossing my fingers that he gets recruited for a role on Once Upon a Time as a new love interest for Regina or Emma. He’s certainly a lot more appealing than Robin [Sean Maguire] or Neal {Michael Raymond James] or to a lesser degree Hook [Colin O’Donoghue].

• RAGGEDT says:

Actually, “Forever” did much better than “New Amsterdam,” which only lasted about eight episodes.

• kaidenshi says:

I forgot it because it was forgettable, at least for me. I couldn’t get into it, and it also drew heavily from the 90’s immortal dramas I mentioned. It may have gone on to be a good show if given the chance, but (at least for me) it had a lumbering start.

• Lisa M. Zepponi says:

I enjoyed New Amsterdam too! I thought Forever might be a new take on it! I love Forever and am very disappointed to see it go! I am sick of reality, court room drama, CSI, etc. TV is supposed to be make believe!!!

• The catalyst for Henry may be his pocket watch, because he loses it every time he dies.

• kaidenshi says:

Good catch! Perhaps it’s a talisman of sorts, and if he dies without it on his person it will be his final death. That makes me wonder what Adam’s talisman is (if that’s indeed what the watch is for Henry).

• E. Ligon says:

Good observation! You would make a good detective!

• Freya Baade says:

But he lost it when he died for the first time and then he didn’t have it for years. Didn’t Abigail buy it back for him when it was salvaged? I thought Henry said something like it in episode 1 or 2.
            This cancelation maked me so sad all around. Great show. I’ll just have to rewatch season 1 all the time now and curse them all to hell.

• LIMJINGHAO says:

You make me hate the speculation, because i cannot stop thinking about the result. Thats not why i hate though, i hate it because it’ll never be explained. Man fk the show business do it for fking passion or somthin fantasy thoughtlike

• jw l. says:

I completely agree with you. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I was so hopefully that the second go around would go better.

• t smith says:

okay, all the necessary clues were put out there as to how to “catch” immortality. I don’t want to be the one to let the cat completely out of the bag so I’ll just hint that there are at
          least 5 immortals running around in Henry’s world (Henry being one of them) and, altogether, we’ve seen 4 of them. Review all the clues and you’ll get your own “AH HAH” moment.

• Sue White says:

If interested, please go to the @netflix and help.netflix.com and tell them you really want to see Forever on Netflix. They seem to be showing the most interest, and the more we let them know we want them to show Forever the better chance we have of saving Forever. And there is a petition at change.org. Thanks.

• sarah says:

Ok who? I’m curious

• t smith says:

I laugh at the conceit of the ABC network that tries to put forth the image that THEY know what makes a show successful and what doesn’t. If they really knew what they were doing, there wouldn’t be ANY cancelled shows this coming season, and we all know that’s not gonna happen.
            ABC: you have made a mistake cancelling FOREVER, woman-up and admit it, then we can move on.

• t smith says:

4 known immortals: adam (who tried to save an as-yet unknown immortals life), the black man whose life henry tried to save (by which henry gained immortality), henry (who tried to save the black immortal on that ship), and abagail (who tried to save henry from adam)

• Kristen says:

Abigail and the black man aren’t immortal since both of their bones were found in different episodes.

• Tom Smith says:

The bones on the ship were those of the man Henry got the key for, not the man henry was examining for sickness and for whom he sacrificed his life. As for Abagail, nothing in the script says you don’t leave a skeleton behind when you first “cross-over” into immortality.

• Roy Galvan says:

Totally agree. Love your idea of the selfless acts inspiration. Hope they’ll reconsider.

• Robert H says:

Better said than I could write it.

• I agree
          Why would you go and cancel such a wonderful show?? I loved it I would watch it mainly on huluplus, but eveyonce in awhile on the tv. But I whis you guys would bring it back or give it to a place that will keep it going!!!!!!

• Leimomi says:

Why don’t they bring it back as a Netflix show or another cable show where we could watch it?? Please please please? ??

• Pauline says:

For God’s sake! Why is that always a nice and different shows are canceled, while all those extremaly similar ones (like csi, ncsi ,cold cases etc) keep going with 10 seasons? It is definitely not fair… Plus, mr. Ioan Gruffudd’s character was no doubt most charming character i have seen for many years! I think tv is lack of this kind of “heroes”..

• Too bad says:

MORE SUPERHEROES!!!

Blergh

• Fred says:

I’ll take more superhero shows over more cop shows.

• Kathy Paltan says:

Well said Fred! Everywhere you look. There is a cop show. Those of is that don’t care for them are left with not much to watch.

• Jason says:

Heroes is coming back.

• Blah says:

Kathy there is alot of superhero shows ro watch on tv too just depends what type u want to see. Go on CW u can find them everywhere they r even coming out with super girl

• Arvin says:

Keep crying cause it’s still canceled.

• Sue White says:

If you care, please go to Facebook, search for Forever Fans; all the information is there. ABC is off the map by their choice, but there are several other networks that are expressing interest in continuing Forever. Please go to the @netflix and help.netflix.com and tell them you really want to see Forever on Netflix. They seem to be showing the most interest, and the more we let them know we want them to show Forever the better chance we have of saving it. And there is a petition at change.org. Don’t forget to let them know that we want to see many more seasons of Forever, not just a rerun of season 1. There are also other networks interested, but the best way to find out all about this is to find the Forever Fans facebook page and check it out. Thanks.

• Ima says:

Still in disbelief!

• lisa says:

i so agree

• Chris Brown says:

I agree! This show was original and interesting.

• I totally agree…we really enjoyed it. It was a little bit different which was nice for a change.

• Deahna says:

All the best shows get cancelled early on and they drag out ones that suck forever :(

• SO says:

You are so right. Given a chance & publicity, it would have been great! One season is not enough. There were so many more plots they could have used.

• Mike says:

Too many good shows needed a second season to get momentum. Come on ABC, I know there is someone with some brains working there. They aren’t all at CBS

• Michael BUTMAN says:

Typically it’s difficult for me to get interested in weekly drama’s. My wife and I looked forward to each episode of Forever. Basically, i watch most programming on NBC until Brian Williams stepped down. Breaking News – it looks like I’ll boycott ABC unless they bring back “Forever”. If everyone is as passionate about Forever as me, you should boycott as well.

• Mike391 says:

I’m afraid they are are at CBS. Based on this cancellation.

• Cookie K says:

Tell me what I need to do to convince the powers that be, they have made a mistake! !! I’ll do what it takes. I love this show, watched faithfully, we should get to see if Henry tells Jo?? His secret!!!! Are u kidding me* Bullocks.

• chris says:

I know! How can they leave us hanging. How can we let the networks know how upset we are with the cancelation? Unfortunately does not usually help shows even with the petitions

• Sue White says:

Please go to Facebook, Foreverists Group for Forever Fans; all the information is there. Our calls, tweets, emails, etc. are really having the desired effect. ABC is off the map for us, but there are several other networks that are expressing interest. Netflix is the most interested. Please go to the @netflix and help.netflix.com and tell them you really want to see Forever on Netflix. They seem to be showing the most interest, and the more we let them know we want them to show Forever the better chance we have of saving it. And there is a petition at change.org. Don’t forget to let them know that we want to see many more seasons of Forever, not just a rerun of season 1. Thanks.

• Stacey says:

I totally agree, I am hoping enough people inform ABC of the error in their decision to keep it going.

• contentwife says:

Agreed!

• NDR says:

i agree

• Djdjdjd woodidjd says:

Abc. You ssssuuuucccckkkk

• emily says:

I agree. A TERRIBLE decision!

• Klaas says:

Indeed this is a great show! They could have at least waited another year for the ratings to pick up.

• SO says:

I agree! 100 %

• Leo says:

I agree. It’s typical of the current Hollywood process. Anything new-ish and interest with good acting? Get rid of it. Mindless BS? Keep it going for season after season. Granted ABC hasn’t been known for good programming decisions in 10 years at least.

• showbox app says:

no doubt, we will miss this show
      good luck

• carol says:

I am stunned, thiswas one of my all time favorite shows. It had depth, insight, just the right amount of intensity, mystery and intelligence. I

• Rose Wick says:

I am so sorry to hear this. I thought that this was the best show ever. I was looking for when the 2 nd season, and thought wait let me Google it. When I saw that there was no more Forever I yelled No ooooo!!!

• Lou says:

Totally agree I’ve just watched all 22 episodes after waiting months for sky to release the rest of the series as they only showed the first 3 episodes I’ve just watched the last 2 and Henry is about to tell jo everything then I Google when the new series starts then find out its cancelled typical abc argghhhhhh such a brilliant series it needs to have a second series

2. Alichat says:

Well poop. I liked that show.

3. E says:

Noooo!!!! I was really enjoying this show. It’s hard to give new shows a chance when this happens

4. Corastacy says:

Bummed is not the word. Utterly Heartbroken. The show was original, heartwarming, intellectual and wonderful. The cast were amazing and the stories top notch.

ABC has made a HUGE mistake.

• Susan says:

sad, really liked it

• Please don’t Cancel the show… I look forward to this one… :(
      So very very Sad ~

• Dan says:

Intelligence is the problem. Just add another reality show and further contribute to the brain numbing. As long as people continue to watch reality shows like zombies, they’ll continue adding more and more. Cheaper to produce, so more profitable even with lower ratings.

• Susan says:

Agreed

• So very true. Networks must pander to the daft general population. I think to become a Neilsen family or whatever they call it, you must meet (low) IQ requirements ;) I’m hoping Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, paid cable networks, and other platforms continue to add new content so discriminating consumers can find intelligent programming instead of being subjected to the standard mindless drivel. Was this show the smartest thing on television? Absolutely not, but it was witty enough and shied away from the boring template television has employed for far too long.

• Michael says:

I agree with you 100%, the amount of brain numbing these days is scary.

• Stephanie says:

I agree! I am a highly educated person, and all my favorite shows get cancelled. I also believe it is because I tend to like the thought-provoking, interesting shows that aren’t all about crime and murder.

• halcyonrx says:

Well I mean crime and murder shows that are violent and disturbing, which this show was not.

• I, too, am a highly educated person and I have surmised that the reason why so few shows on TV hold my interest and pique my attention is because of this. I found that the show “Reign” was not historically correct and it became frustrating. I watch the same few shows and it was so refreshing to have “Forever” to watch and totally enjoy because of plot, premise, Ioan Gruffudd and cast with Judd Hirsch,and writers. It held my attention every second and I had to go back and view the Shows over and over to catch all the brilliant nuances in them. Totally different perspective from the usual crime and murder show!

• I also appreciated the fact that young people (i.e. tweens and teens) could watch this show and I would not be worried about content being unacceptable. A family show of the caliber of “Forever” is now non-existent on TV.

• E. Ligon says:

I agree Stephanie. Sadly, I am afraid it is a compliment that many of us find that the intelligent shows we like to watch get cancelled.

• AMEN!!! i can’t believe every time we get a show that is well written and acted it gets canceled. i hate the new shows that have nothing to offer except to look into the life of people that we should not be so interested in and it’s not reality!! so more blood bad language or pitting people against each other is what we get stuck with. when will it end???

• Sue White says:

• coops says:

well said dan bring back forever not and more reality rubbish

• PCowle says:

Loved ‘Forever.’ It DID take a little thought and attention to appreciate, so there you go.The cast was great, the visuals were rich, the flashbacks were sumptuous and I could look at Ioan all day. Rats. Yeah, a HUGE mistake by ABC. That’s network television.

• Vivian says:

I love the show too. This show was an escape from the reality shows , which is only an extension of the news. Forever is one of those shows that shows what good TV is all about and it shows what TV is suppose to be and use to be. I hope ABC brings it back..But if they don’t I hope another network will. So get off the band wagon of reality shows and bring quality TV back

• Brenda says:

I totally agree 100%. This is why I hate getting involved with a new “original” show. The networks just don’t care. They cancel Forever but keep Nashville? Please!

• Vernon says:

Don’t forget Dancing with People you may have never heard of. They kept that turd too.

• Mike says:

Those are full fledged pseudo-stars (you may have never heard of). Oh, and the relatives of stars as well. And don’t forget that now it is another way to squeek out a few more weeks of the bachelor as well since they seem to have a contract to jump right into that show. Maybe next year they will add muppets to the show as well.

• Mike says:

People watch that mindless show. Someone needs to start a petition to keep Forever going, even if it means on another network

• Shan says:

This really makes me Angry!!!
          FOREVER must air!!
          Are you people out f your minds???
          Its one of the best shows on TV right now!!

My Opinion:
          I can not stand the staged “reality” trash…
          I refuse to watch any of it… The reality shows are so horribly staged trying to play it off as reality that they scream FAKE FAKE FAKE….

The difference is that the cast of FOREVER are real ACTORS whose shows should be FOREVER~RENEWED;

Where as reality shows are about people that want another like, or tweet, or attention etc Whose so called shows should be FOREVER~CANCELLED

• Nunya says:

+1. Just one question ABC….WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• John NYC says:

$$$$$$$$$$$

They put on what they can sell advertising time on. And that’s linked to who watches and in what numbers. Plus, I expect, whether those numbers trend up, flat or down.

• Judy Roche says:

Yes, why! I have loved Ioan Grufford ever since he was Horatio Hornblower on PBS and have been thrilled to see him in this show. Judd Hirsch is great, too. How disappointing to lose this show.

• Mary Erickson says:

Agree 100%. Lets have another stupid reality show instead! It might have caught on given one more year.

• megallison says:

Exactly! It was just hitting its stride. Such a shame. I’m so tired of the trash and reality shows.

• Jeanette Johnson says:

Could not agree more!

• Judi bahr says:

Yes they have! Only show I watched every single week. Grrrrr

• Kristi says:

Well said, my feelings exactly, the only tv series that I watched. Heartbroken that it was cancelled.

5. Gaby says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! =(((((((((((

6. robin says:

This sucks.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

I knew it was about to happen and it did. ABC made the right decision to pull the plug on Forever but it wasn’t able to topped Chicago Fire and Person of Interest in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot dating back in the Fall. I have a feeling that Castle should vacated Forever’s time slot next season. Wouldn’t that be interesting?

8. Katherine215 says:

I am soooo disappointed!!!!

9. prish says:

I loved the show and give it a fond farewell. The actors gave my life many hours of enjoyment, and they should be proud of their work on the show. The series was a delight. Hopefully, some tv movies might end up in the works. One never knows who is a fan.

10. James says:

So now Selfie can come back?

11. Kels says:

I really enjoyed this show. It’s one of the only new shows this season that I stuck with. Bad call ABC.

12. Lisa says:

This is horrible news. Makes me wonder, would Quincy have survived as long as it did in today’s day? What about Crossing Jordan? They shouldn’t have cancelled it. Perhaps they should have moved it to Sunday, and had Once Upon a Time, Secrets & Lies and Forever. It’s truly a shame.

• laurelnev says:

S&L and Resurrection both prove what time slotting a show between 2 power houses can do. Forever actually would have made a great follow to Once, and certainly deserved to be renewed before S&L. S&L just made be turn to Fox at 9.

• Normandy says:

Everyone points to Cheers and Seinfeld as shows that wouldn’t have gotten a chance in today’s TV world.

• Fred says:

Probably not on network tv which now avoids original idea like the plague. Cable is where original, quality shows go these days.

• That would also be true of Friends and Big Bang Theory. They did not do good on their freshman year, but look how they ended up….Forever was a great show and the cast was very good. I am surprised they didn’t move it and give it a different time change. ABC made a very bad mistake.

13. monieet@aol.com says:

Why, ABC. Very bad decision.

14. Mare says:

NOOOOOO!! So disappointed. Very sweet, fun, charming show. Our household will miss it.

15. Annette says:

Loved the actors & the show, as usual good TV gets cancelled trash stays!!

16. Between this and “The Muppets” I chose this one

17. BrightLight says:

I was just getting ready to watch the season’s final two episodes tonight. Now I think I’m too heartbroken to do it.

• SW says:

You should. They were very good episodes, and the writers gave us a decent ending, probably because they knew the chances for renewal were slim. I’m heartbroken it’s over, but I’m happy with the way things ended in the last episode.

• BrightLight says:

Yeah I think I’m going to watch them because I have been looking forward to them. I saved last week’s for this week so I could watch them back to back. I’ll just be teary-eyed at the end knowing that it is in fact the end. :(

• seawing says:

That’s what I thought while watching it. They knew they were likely to get canceled so they gave us an ending that sort of tied things up. But so disappointed.

18. RedReddington says:

I’m pissed. What’s the point of even investing in a new show if it’s likely going to be canceled? It’s so stupid to not give shows at least 2 seasons to give them a real chance. And do they take DVR numbers into account? The Neilson ratings are outdated and ridiculous. Here come more serial cop dramas to take its place. 😒

• Eric says:

I understand what you’re saying, but think about it from their point of view. They invested an entire 22 episodes into the first season of “Forever” and the show seriously underperformed. So why would they throw even more money into a 2nd season of a show that wasn’t performing well enough for them? By the 2nd half of the season, it didn’t hit above a 1.1 in the A18-49 demographic. In fact, it slipped down to a 0.9 in the A18-49 demographic for a few episodes. If a show is that low rated, it’s not making the money that it needs to make. If it’s not making them the money they need, they cancel it. Again, why would ABC pour even more money into a show that underperforms? That is a bad business decision on their part. It’s not just about what the fans want. These networks are a business and businesses run on money. So as much as it sucks, money and ratings are what dominate, not what viewers want.

• RedReddington says:

I understand what you’re saying, but do those numbers you cited include +3 an+7 DVR numbers? I’m betting the 18-49 numbers are over 2.0. That’s what annoys me. People watch TV differently now than they did 20 years ago. Yet they still use the same, outdated Neilson system.
        Something needs to change, and I understand it’s all about money, but it still angers me.

• RG says:

Not in the top 25 in DVR viewing either.

• Dee says:

Makes me so angry because they didn’t even give it a chance just getting interesting and he ended it before it began the last few episodes were epic and there were a lot of viewers

• John NYC says:

I don’t think advertising buyers care about DVR numbers as it’s (rightly) assumed DVR users mostly FFWD through commercials: so they don’t get exposed to the product the buyer is selling. Theoretical buzz value perhaps, but little to no commercial value.

For people interested in viewership of their commercials all the “different” ways shows are viewed hold no value: so they don’t pay for what they don’t get value from. Viewers of the COMMERCIALS are the commodity sold by the networks and it’s piecework.

Sure going forward that’s going to be an increasing challenge to people who want to produce television: how to get anyone to pay them for their product? Much like the music industry with their version of “differently”…..

• Marc says:

On-demand and online (Hulu, network website, iTunes etc) viewers have more value than DVR viewers because either have to sit through ads or they pay for the shows. And, boy is it a pain to mute a phone or tablet during ads, unlike a television or even a computer. But, us DVR watchers? We have little value to advertisers and the networks.

• lizo says:

I totally get that, but it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. Networks *constantly* cancel shows right after a first season, and after years and years of getting invested in something only to have it cancelled, it’s no wonder people stop watching. Why do we keep going back to get hurt. So by not doing the long-haul on shows, or at *least* giving two seasons, they’re asking us to not watch.

• karra says:

Thayer also didn’t count online streaming into the metric. From a breakdown I did based on the petition there are viewers all over the world streaming. Even people in North Korea are watching. It’s also doing VERY well in France. With a better time slot and advertising I think ratings would ha e been much better.

• RG says:

Perfect comment!

• Georgia Madman says:

Tell that to Firefly fans

• MaryAnn Dumond says:

Well, EXCUSSSSE ME ! What ever happened to “The customer is always right.”? We, the viewers, are the networks’ customers and we’re given very little regard as to what we want. In this instance, ABC carries a lot of the blame for “FOREVER” failing to ‘get the numbers’. ABC took a newborn series and shoved it into a day/timeslot from which they’ve NEVER been able to have a hit show emerge. Then, to add insult to injury, they gave it little to no decent promotion or support. If you noticed, there were PLENTY of video promos and talk show appearances for their reality shows and shows with terrible violence, sex and vulgar language. All we have to do is turn on the news to hear more of that each day. It has become our accepted way of life. What a sad commentary on the state of our world today. “FOREVER” was a magnificent blend of mystery, history, kind and caring relationships, and romance all seen through the eyes of our immortal star, Dr. Henry Morgan’s wonderful narrating throughout each episode. Those of us who LISTENED were enriched by his words and we came away with a renewed sense of hope and the desire to change our lives for the better. “FOREVER” reminded us that to have a richer, more meaningful future, we needed to acknowledge both the beauty and the evil of our past and embrace its lessons. Sadly, the networks are only absorbed with their ‘bottom lines’ with little interest in what effect their programs have on society’s collective souls. I, as one of those souls, am feeling greatly diminished by the loss of “FOREVER” and its teachings. My sincere thanks and appreciation to all who were part of this series. Wishing you all success and happiness in your theatrical and personal lives. I will love you all FOREVER.

• naynaynay12 says:

MaryAnn Dumond,
          Hope you don’t mind, but your comment was excellent, as well as a couple of other ones. I’ve written to ABC and well as to Warner Bros. Now I’m going to try my hand at other television outlets. Such as, Netflix, Hulu, CW Network and so on. I’m just putting in my own comments mixed with yours and a couple of others who wrote from the heart and wrote very compelling responses. I’m devastated about losing this show and hope to fight, with hopefully many others, to find a home and a second season (and many more) for this great show. :)))

• Forever-sis MaryAnn, your comment is both stirring and insightful. I heartily agree with every word. I only hope that Matt Miller is able to secure another t.v. venue for our show. Hugs, sis.

• Debbie Beam says:

You said everything that I was longing to say, but I speak better, than write. I had not watched “ABC” in years, until I heard about “Forever”. I will never watch their channel or buy they advertised products again, unless they renew my favorite show. I have not seen any actor on television, with his skill or the love he brought to that character.

• Sue White says:

Please go to the @netflix and help.netflix.com and tell them you really want to see Forever on Netflix. They seem to be showing the most interest, and the more we let them know we want them to show Forever the better chance we have of saving Forever.

• maryeadair says:

Well stated! I agree.

• Dee says:

Well I could not have said it better myself I totally agree with everything you have said .This show Forever, had it all and it was definitely one of the best shows on TV and it is truly sad ABC could see that I hope another TV network steals them away and appreciate them their talent and the show Forever as we do

• MaryAnn Dumond says:

Thank you, Dee, for your comment on my post. Those of us, who love “FOREVER”, are doing all we can to find a ‘forever home’ for this incredible series. The waiting is excruciating; but, Matt Miller, its creator and head writer, has told us that PATIENCE is the key and these things take time. Our main fear is that time will run out for some of our main actors and they’ll be forced to take on other projects to support their families. If you can, please lend your voice to our pleas to give new life to “FOREVER” for a 2nd season and beyond.

• Absolutely agree with you MaryAnn! Very well said.

• MaryAnn Dumond says:

Thank you, Louise Tyrrell. Good to see that people are still reading our comments here and being moved to take action in support of “FOREVER”. It is inconceivable that no other network has stepped up and grabbed onto this wonderful series.

• Aerin says:

What really annoys me is that my demographic doesn’t even count, as far as advertisers and networks are concerned. What I get to watch on TV is totally determined by 18- to 49-year-olds (especially males). Once you turn 50, you’re completely irrelevant! Ironic, because the 18-49 demo was originally created to capture the coveted Baby Boomer market, and today’s Baby Boomers are not your father’s 50+ consumers. They are open to trying new products, and they spend a lot. When will the networks and advertisers catch on?

• Audrey says:

You are right it seems once you reach 50+ you no longer fit into the mix, but what advertisers fail to understand is that that is where the money is, most of the rest are still trying to pay for their home/car/family, where those of us at this age is thinking, hey I’m going to enjoy life a little and spend my child’s inheritance.

• Linda says:

Yep, unfortunately…it’s something like that. Ugh. Sign petition at change.org

• Wait a second… does this mean people in their fifties are not relevant to ratings?! Statistically speaking, the 50 to 60 year olds have more leisure time to watch TV, and have more money to spend on products advertised during the show.. WTF, ABC?!!!!!

• Barbara Gambrel says:

You said it exactly. I don’t understand the ratings system anymore. If a show doesn’t get the viewers from 18-49 they immediately want to cancel.

• Isobel says:

Well they’re the best viewers for advertising which is where the money is

• Greg says:

I don’t get why they are the best for advertising. I mean, how much money do 18yr olds spend compared to 50+yr olds? When I think about who has and spends the most money, I’m thinking of 35+ up to 70. In addition, younger people are much more likely to mute the ads and check their cell phone. Maybe they should get better stats on THAT. I think they are stupid to ignore their most valuable viewers.

• John NYC says:

The theory as I understand it is 18 year olds can be influenced by advertising, 50 year olds have set opinions that have been reinforced by a lifetime, a much more difficult task.

And 18-49 year olds turn into 50 year olds….

19. John NYC says:

So more room for dancing with the has-beens or never-were?

Boo.

20. ncmacasl says:

Hulu or Netflix – Save this show!

21. Fea says:

I really liked it.

22. Lizo says:

NO NO NO NO!!!

23. Alexa says:

This was the one show I was rooting for. I knew it was a long shot, but it still stinks.

24. Such a lovely, heartwarming show with plenty of humor – could have gone on for years. I know that ratings were never amazing so this wasn’t unexpected, but at least it ended well. Will gladly follow Ioan to his next project!

25. TW says:

That sucks.

26. Beckers0505 says:

This blows major!!!!!

27. Maria says:

Devastated.

28. Q says:

This is poor decision making Why would they cancel this one and give another one of those same old shows a chance? Seriously, another (dead) show based on Biblical characters (of Kings and Prophets) and yet another 9/11 conspiracy (Quantico) that we already know from now are getting cancelled after 3 airings….

29. Lauren says:

No no no no no. So sad!! It’s a shame that not enough people discovered this great show because it definitely deserved a second season. The cast is amazing and I’m just as bummed as they all are I’m sure. Too bad the first season ended on a cliffhanger…Jo may never know Henry’s secret :(

30. DarkDefender says:

Such a bummer. I really liked that show and the finale was fantastic. Good news: this pretty much assures the Castle renewal, right?

31. Beck says:

I’m sooooo done with the networks!

32. kmangold01 says:

Poor placement of the show, and lack of promotion from ABC resulted in a premature death. Then again, that network hasn’t always been known for making quality programming decisions. A pox on all who had a hand in this decision.

• LaieLad says:

I agree. This is an intelligent show with nuanced characters, complex philosophical and spiritual dilemmas, all framed in nicely turned writing and superb acting. Holy corn! I guess there were not enough gun battles, car chases, and cleavage in it. No Zombies. Quality is gone forever.

33. taran63 says:

I’m really disappointed by this. I came late to the show because the early commercials I saw didn’t seem that interesting to me. But about a month ago I was bored and looking for something to watch and I caught an episode. I loved it, and was able to see the last 4 episodes of the show. They were all great, particularly these last two. I’m really saddened by this, because there aren’t that many new shows that I like, but this was a very high quality show.

34. Susan Atiyyat says:

Really sad and disappointed! Forever was a fantastic show with a stellar cast. I will miss it immensely. 😥

35. This is just all so wrong. It was worthy of another season Henry and Abe were terrific together. I am looking for my spell book to put a curse on ABC right now.

• Lexi says:

So agree with you…the buzz on this show was building up.. in TV talk Intelligent equals cancel .. regarding 18-49 demo… what they are saying is that this demo is not intelligent. I can assure you they don’t have a lot of money either.. my 30 yr old daughter can’t afford a nee car but her 52 yr old Mom just bought a brand new KIA cash..

36. TVPeong says:

Aww… It was such a good show. I hope that the actors get other great roles soon.

37. CarolH says:

This totally sucks!! Loved this show!!

38. Robin says:

Extremely disappointed! Wonderful story telling and talented actors! Of all shows for ABC to cancel, this should NOT have been one!

39. Terri says:

So bummed about Forever. How do we encourage the shopping around to other networks?

40. Sheldon W. says:

At least it got a season finale that also served as a near-perfect series finale (we all know he was going to tell Jo, right?)

41. Lauren says:

What a bummer that such a sweet, fun hour of TV is gone. The cast and episodes were a delight to watch. I wish another channel would pick it up.

42. I think it sucks. I really liked this show. I was hoping beyond hope that they would give it another season. I’m sure it would have ended up on more solid footing.

43. Lisa says:

This is so disappointing. This show is the best show you all have ever aired on tour station. You didn’t even give it a chance. Very bad mistake!!!!

44. bj says:

I really liked Forever. Bad decision, ABC!

45. Jenn says:

This is such a mistake. Stupid, stupid ABC. The only show I looked forward to. They killed this one with the terrible time slot and all the breaks. I am heart broken.

46. Michael says:

Are you kidding me?!?!
    This was a great show, ABC needs to reconsider!

47. Mike says:

Typical every great show that has a solid fan base granted smaller but reliable gets canceled. It’s all about money to them screw the fans. I say we do what the fans of Jericho did with nuts and send them thousands of pocket watches or something like that in protest of the canceling it. We could start a crowd funding site to buy some cheap watches. There has to be something we can do.

48. JEF says:

I had hoped that ABC would decide to renew at the last moment. It’s unfortunate that charming can’t make it in today’s world.

49. co2bl says:

So disappointed! I really loved this show.