Supergirl Lands Series Order at CBS

Supergirl CBS

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a super no-brainer!

Supergirl officially has liftoff at CBS, with the network handing the Greg Berlanti adaptation a formal series order for the 2015-16 TV season.

The much-hyped project — written and EP’d by Berlanti, Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg — stars Glee‘s Melissa Benoist as the title character, AKA Kara Zor-El. Since arriving on Earth from Krypton years ago, Kara’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

The cast also includes Mehcad Brooks (Desperate Housewives), Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal), Chyler Leigh (Grey’s Anatomy) and Jeremy Jordan (Smash).

Now the big question: Where on its schedule will CBS slot Supergirl? The answer will come next Wednesday morning ahead of the network’s annual upfront presentation in New York.

1. wrstlgirl says:

*rolls eyes* sorry can’t help it.

2. Nick says:

The fact that this is Greg Berlanti is a great thing. I’ve never watched a show of his I didn’t like.

3. I am glad that CBS decide to give Supergirl series the greenlight but I wanted to know when the series will debut on what night and time.

• Steven says:

You’ll know by next week.

• alex says:

there was rumours it was being shipped to summer, have to wait to see if there’s any truth to those rumours.

• Robby says:

If it were me, put it on after the Thrusday Night Football games are done. The have Big Bang on at 8, Supergirl at 9 and Elementary at 10.

• Phillip says:

THIS^^

• Chris says:

I was a little skeptical on how it would fare on CBS but I think pairing it with Big Bang would be an excellent idea.

• Chris says:

I don’t think it will make it past the first season on cbs, if it was on the cw I think it would thrive, I just don’t see it getting the ratings it needs to on cbs hopefully I’m wrong because I’m very excited for it

4. chuckiechk says:

this is pretty cool, if done right it could be another solid program for dc!

5. John says:

Can’t wait!

6. Dmac says:

The picked the wrong girl to play the lead.

• Sam B. Brady says:

She is nice but just so beige.

• Dmac says:

I guess that is what I mean as well. She was okay on Glee, but Glee and Super Girl are worlds apart. I think they needed someone with a little more edge to them.

• alex says:

the guy who plays barry on the flash was on glee as well I think, and he’s been pretty well received in the role.

• Leah says:

Being on Glee isn’t the point, it’s how they did when they were on it. Gustin was great. Benoist, not so much. She was pretty bland. And it’s on CBS.

• Dude says:

To be fair, Glee wasn’t the best showcase of her talents. I’ve seen her with much more personality in other projects.

• I bet you said the the same thing about Grant Gustin who is now playing the Flash when they cast him.

7. Drew says:

The only thing I’m concerned about is how this will hurt Arrow and The Flash. One spinoff seriously messed up Arrow. Now there are two more shows taking up their attention.

8. Steven says:

Love the supporting cast and am loving The Flash. I’m totally in.

9. (1) Arrow has NOT suffered, it’s gotten better (2) The Flash is just as great (3) I’m excited for Supergirl, I’m glad it got a Series Order. Congrats to the cast and crew of Supergirl… I cant wait

• Chris says:

Arrow has suffered a little bit, I’m not with all the people who hate this season I’ve been enjoying it since episode one I just don’t think it’s quite as good as the past seasons, and I’m talking about the difference between and b+ and an a

10. Et Al says:

I can’t wait to watch Supergirl and her ragtag band of misfit science friends solve a new crime each week.

11. Wouter says:

Why Melissa though? She was the worst one on the cast of Glee. And that’s telling something.

12. Dan says:

Sunday’s at 9pm… you’ll see!! ;)

13. Dean says:

Still iffy about the cast choice but if Whiplash and Danny Collins are any indication she seems capable as an actress. Plus Greg Berlanti has done pretty well with Flash and Arrow so I’m in. And to the people claiming Claire Holt suppose to be the chosen one for this role: She left abruptly on the originals I’m no tv headhoncho but I wouldn’t give a lead role to someone who pulled a stunt like that.

• Tina says:

The rumor is Claire got booted because her friendship with Pheboe ended. If you are unaware the originals was created for Pheboe supposedly and they used the “originals” as a prop for her story. Claire is a fantastic actress. I am sure she’ll find something else just as good. But from what I have heard she wasn’t given a choice. They wrote her out on purpose.

14. I may not be CBS, but I expect either (1) Sundays at 8pm or 9pm or (2) Thursdays at 9pm, that is based off that Sundays is their all-Female-Lineup and that Thursdays has the MOST eyeballs. Personally, I think Sundays will be the better night for Supergirl. We find our for sue, next Wednesday

• Dean says:

sunday at 8 seems logical especially since once upon a time ain’t what it used to be.

• Ooooh, Supergirl would snatch into Once Upon a Time’s viewers, but at the same, the Network’s cant go off live ratings, these days, live ratings are just a fraction now. Regardless of where they slot Supergirl, A lot of people are gonna watch when it’s convenient for them

15. Mr. Tran K says:

Wonder if Supergirl is going to be either CBS’ breakout hit or CBS’ biggest flop.

16. JG says:

She could also wear dog ears and play Krypto. Sorry. Unlike Laura Vandervoort as Kara this girl just doesn’t fill out the costume properly.

17. Joey Padron says:

happy the show got a series order. can’t wait to see first trailer! hope the show will get a good night and timeslot.

18. Jared says:

Greg Betlanti hasn’t disappointed in the DC TV series so far and I really like Melissa Benoist. Curious to see where CBS schedules it. It would be a cool Summer series and kind of unexpected.

19. Herb Flynn says:

There’s been a rumor going on that they might premiere the series LATE SUMMER to bridge the summer season and the fall season…the core fans will be hungry for this time of show, and an “Advance Peak” run might be a good idea.

20. albertj15 says:

I have seen an heard every Superman there has ever been from Bud Couler on the Radio, he also was the voice of Superman in the first cartoons to Henry Carvel in the last movie, so if the show is not made a joke we can all enjoy it.
    By the way the early cartoons were the best.

21. Justsomeguy says:

Meh. I just don’t buy the actress in this role. I think it’ll be a major dud. Good luck to those involved with Supergirl.

22. Nick says:

I love how everyone’s like “I’ve not seen this pilot yet but this show is gonna be turrible”

23. Boiler says:

I actually like Melissa but no to this show. Don’t watch superhero shows and there are too many of them. Need something to replace 4 or 5 hours of shows likely cancelled. Seen nothing good so far

24. Weezy says:

If Berlanti weren’t involved, I’d predict complete and utter failure for this show…but if there is one thing I know, it’s that Berlanti knows how to run a superhero show.