Dancing With the Stars Week 8 Results: Did the Right Couples Go Home?

DWTS Perfect 40

In the world of reality competition series, there’s no phrase quite as chilling as “double elimination,” is there?

And yet, as we headed into Tuesday’s Dancing With the Stars results show, I couldn’t help feeling that the booted couples were a foregone conclusion.

After all, if you watched Monday’s performance show with a critical eye (or, hey, even a non-critical one), you could easily spot the three strongest couples (Riker/Allison, Rumer/Val, Nastia/Derek/Sasha) versus the three weakest (Noah/Sharna, Chris/Witney, Robert/Kym). And even though Willow and Mark’s untimely elimination came as a shock last week, I had trouble believing that another of this season’s frontrunners would be sent packing too soon.

Then again, my years of watching reality competitions have probably yielded more incorrect predictions than correct ones… so maybe I’m not the most reliable source. Regardless, before we move to the results, here were the highlights from Monday’s performance show:

BEST OF THE NIGHT | Rumer Willis and pro Val Chmerkovskiy (Rumba) — I have a confession to make: Even though Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson’s cutesy showmance has been a staple of their time on the show, I haven’t cared much for all the attention their will-they-won’t-they shtick has received. I much prefer the understated sexiness of Rumer and Val’s partnership, which sizzled during their traditional rumba. Not only was the pair’s choreography well-executed, but Val’s tearful apology to Rumer for “dragging the fun out of it” reminded us of the wonderful chemistry between them (without Erin Andrews begging them to kiss every week).

MOST OVERPRAISED | Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson (Contemporary) — Even though Chris isn’t the best dancer that Season 20 has to offer, he may just be the most committed to improvement, and he has seemed genuinely emotionally invested in his Dancing career (which started off as nothing more than a Bachelor/Bachelorette marketing ploy, I assume). Still, despite all his efforts, I don’t think Chris and Witney’s contemporary number deserved as much glowing praise as it received. The choreography was lovely, the music was evocative and Witney was stunning throughout the routine… and yet, Chris lacked the flexibility and lower-body strength needed to truly master the movements. (That said, he and Witney seem to truly adore and respect each other… and I can’t help but notice that the other Whitney hasn’t been in the audience lately. Hmmm.)

MOST CREATIVE | Nastia Liukin and pros Derek Hough and Sasha Farber (Trio Dance: Jive) — Regardless of the pre-performance video package — which edited Nastia to look like a petulant teenager who was told she couldn’t go to the movies with her friends — her routine with Derek and Sasha was by far the most fun and creatively structured of the evening. As Nastia slid, hopped and twirled between two different set pieces, she matched her partners’ speed and technical prowess without ever missing a beat.

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Robert Herjavec and pros Kym Johnson and Jenna Johnson (Trio Dance: Samba) — A few weeks back, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Robert standing in the Season 20 semifinals. Sure, his dancing is a bit rough around the edges, but his willingness to try new things and overall chin-up attitude seemed like they could carry him to the Final Four, at the very least. As of late, that hasn’t been the Robert we’ve seen, especially in this frantic samba with Kym and Jenna. Robert seemed to have a good time with the dance, but his stiff upper body and out-of-sync footwork just weren’t strong enough.

And now, the results:

ADVANCING TO THE SEMIFINALS (in chronological order)
Rumer Willis and pro Val Chmerkovskiy
Noah Galloway and pro Sharna Burgess
Nastia Liukin and pro Derek Hough
Riker Lynch and pro Allison Holker

ELIMINATED
Robert Herjavec and pro Kym Johnson
Chris Soules and pro Witney Carson

OK, your turn. Do you agree with the eliminated couples? Who has the best shot at the Mirrorball Trophy now? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Whitney S says:

Bye Felicia to Chris (what a pathetic dancer but not as bad as Bill Envgall!)

2. Chris should have stayed over Noah, but it was time for Robert to go.

3. Margaret says:

TOTALLY agree about the overpraising of the contemporary! Didn’t get the buzz for it, but it was really sweet to see how emotional Chris was, you can tell that he & Witney developed a really nice friendship. I love the story of Noah & Sharna, as well as what he’s been able to do on the show, but the top 3 are the ones that I think we all expected, these next couple of weeks should be fun!

4. nick says:

If these judges are Professionals they SUCK! Where did they get their DEGREE!!! PPOFF!!!

5. marilou anderson says:

Im soooo happy Rumer n Val are still in it. They are the couple to beat. Move over Derek n ur spoiled partner Nastia. In my opinion gymnast n ice skaters shouldnt be able to compete. My opinion. Gooo Rumer n Val. 😃

6. Anne says:

Hoping Rumer and Val win.

7. Cynthia Rice says:

there should be a prize for most improved, this was one of the saddest DWTS shows. I voted for you each and every time Chris I think you did an awesome job and you should be very proud of yourself. keep us posted on yours and Whitneys life together and when there may be a wedding

8. gramny says:

Get rid of riker is nothing. Has just a horrible singer. Those judges get them off they have very bad attidutes. Like to see them dance. Carried sure can’t. An that though . I will not be watching this anymore. This isn’t ballroom dancing. Its getting to sexual coming out half naked who wants to see this. It started out clean we have children who watch but no more in our house.get the dirtiness off an girls put ur clothes back on

• Jane says:

gramny, this is not a singing contest. It’s about who can dance. Riker is a great dancer. I’ve never heard him sing, and it doesn’t matter anyway. I’m glad you won’t be watching any more so you probably won’t vote.

• Gabriella says:

They are… It’s called a dress, and they are not sexual……..

9. Becky says:

I wish everyone could win they all work Soo hard. But, Noah is one of the most amazing people. He has gotten better week after week. Isn’t that what it’s supposed to be about

10. Jane says:

Riker is a fabulous dancer. The judges see it; why don’t the people voting like him? I feel he is very likeable, hard working, and truly a talented dancer.

11. m3rissa says:

As cute and entertaining as I agree Nastia/Derek’s jive with Sasha was, using the pro who has stepped in as partner all season long while Derek is in New York and is dancing with Nastia for points the last two weeks is a cop out!! The three of them danced together last week (with Andy Grammar) and then Sasha and Nastia competed for points earlier in the evening. If Derek wanted to dance in the trio round he should have been required to pick someone else.

12. cyclone says:

The judges admitted last night that they don’t judge Noah on his dancing ability so why is he still there. Yeah his story is emotional and seeing him do some of the things he’s done is amazing but he can’t dance and this is a dancing competition.

• Jane says:

I totally agree with Cyclone. All Noah does is walk back and forth. No dancing really. He should compete in a paraplegic competition.

13. Maxsmom says:

I think that the top two will be Derek and Val because Derek is as popular as any “star” and Nastia gets the America loves her Olympic gymnasts, esp. if they are gold medal winners votes. Val gets the Chermokovsky vote and Rumer gets the poor little daughter of movie stars vote.

It’s hard to vote against Derek because he is so nice and a truly great dancer and teacher but I think that Nastia has trained as a gymnast which includes dance for the last 20 years, it’s just not quite fair.

Val and Rumer want it so bad and look to be working so hard, I have to root for them to take it all.

Riker is talented but a bit of a ^%&!@* and while Noah is a great story, he is not a great dancer

It was time for both Chris and Robert to go and as for Mark and Willow, I don’t like Mark and I did not know Willow before the show, everyone seems to forget that DWTS is about getting people to pick up the phone and vote. The people don’t get voted off, the get voted on.

14. Mary says:

Rumer and Co. Are absolutely delightful, she dances with grace and great musicality. Riker is ambitous and a natural talent: Noah and Sharna leave me Joyfully inspired and in awe, he is my hero!

15. Lily says:

I wish Chris had stayed over Noah. Rumer and Val should win the mirrorball. I love Derek and his dancing skills butt Rumer and Val are a great duo.Robert and Kym needed to go but he had a good spirit.

16. I’m glad Riker made it through, I hope either he or Rumer wins.

17. delfiteblu says:

When, a couple of weeks ago, we saw Chris behind the scenes acting like a jerk to Witney, I was finished with him except to notice from time to time his facial expressions. I DON’T think he’s a very nice guy and I would have been happy if he had been cut 2-3 weeks ago. I enjoyed Robert and Kym and would have liked to see them in th semi’s but WOW – could the judges have scored them any lower? They clearly didn’t want them in the semis. Oh well, I just hope Rumer and Val win. They’re wonderful.

18. Hamish says:

I found it interesting that both of Rumer and Val’s dances were set to music used in the movie Strictly Ballroom. The rumba was set to “Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps” (the Doris Day version was used in the movie) and the paso doble was an arrangement of music from Bizet’s opera “Carmen”. The paso doble music was used in the movie for the big dance competition at the end of the movie. Just an observation…

19. Angebme says:

I’m not sure what Len has against Ryker. He is the most talented male in the competition, and Rumor is the most talented female. It should come down to one of them. Sure there was a lot of stuff in between, but that is the bottom line. They have never given Ryker credit the whole season. He’s amazing.

• Jane says:

I think Len likes Riker; it’s the voters who don’t seem to see his talent, or dislike him for the wrong reasons. He is heads above the other men, and I agree with your assessment of the best 2 pairs.

20. Alan Cummins says:

Although I have a great deal of admiration for Noah, I think DWTS is no longer a program of competition as intended. If they play the “sympathy card” next season, I will not be watching.

21. Leslie says:

Noah never should have gotten this far. I appreciate his courage but this is a dancing competition and what he is doing is not dancing. Sentimental choices need to be replaced by those with real talent. By keeping him in the competition, two good dancers were sent home. Do the right thing this week and vote Noah and Sharna off!

• Alan Cummins says:

Totally agree! Leslie…

• Jane says:

Noah in the finals is a crime. Compare his movement with Nastia’s dancing and there’s no way he is better. Sure he’s an inspiration, but he should be competing with other physically challenged people. If he wins, I will never watch this show again. Even the judges give him way too much praise. A 10? Excuse me!

• Jane says:

I totally agree with you, Leslie

22. barbara zinsmeister says:

NO this is crap I totally understand about Noah but this is a contaest give me a break

23. Clifford says:

This year I am very disappointed that a stiff non dancer with no rhythm can enter the finals namely Noah. Are we going to see a progression toward the handicapped? Or are we going to see REAL dancing?

24. ralph says:

End this show already, it is getting old!!!!

25. ralph says:

Please cancel this show.SOOOOOOON!