Syfy, Steven Spielberg's Amblin Team for Brave New World TV Adaptation

Brave New World Syfy

A Brave New World is hatching at Syfy.

The cable net is adapting Aldous Huxley’s iconic 1932 novel as a scripted series, produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television.

Brave New World — if you’ll recall from your high school English lit class — is set in a world without poverty, war or disease. In this world, humans are given mind-altering drugs, free sex and rampant consumerism are the order of the day, and people no longer reproduce but are genetically engineered in “hatcheries.” Those who won’t conform are forced onto “reservations” – until one of these “savages” challenges the system, threatening the entire social order.

Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey of Amblin Television will executive-produce alongside Les Bohem (Taken), who will write the screenplay.

1. Anna says:

Awesome! Loved BNW, it was probably my favourite book I read in school (that’s not saying a lot though, since most of the other books were German classics…)! This could be really great, I’ll definitely check it out!

2. This could be really good or really bad… I have high hopes, given that it’s Spielberg, but I guess we’ll see. Now my mind is turning on who could join the cast!

3. nerdrage says:

Can’t wait for all the kids who complain they’re ripping of Divergent et al.

4. Stern des Südens says:

Is this going to be a full series? I feel like it should just be a mini-series. Interesting though

• justme says:

I agree. It needs to remain a self-contained mini-series adaptation in order to remain true to the tone and message of the original novel. The ending of that book is important to its message, but they would need to change the ending to make a full series that could survive beyond 1 season. Unless they kept the ending and focused on something else for season 2- but at that point it would just become another TV show set in the future.

• James says:

I agree, bring back mini series especially for classic book adaptions or old TV show remakes.

5. dude says:

I found the world depicted in this book so intriguing but ultimately, I kind of hated the story.

6. ninergrl6 says:

I’m teaching the book right now. Can’t wait to tell my students about this tomorrow!

7. Dr. M says:

A third adaptation?
    Does no one remember the previous TV movie with Leonard Nemoy?

8. whatdwhat says:

I’m curious to see this. I’m surprised that a tv or film adaptation hasn’t happened sooner.