S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Inhuman Target — Who Died? And Who Left the Team?

Agents SHIELD Jiaying Kills Gonzales

Well, that peace talk could have gone a bit better.

This week on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., ‎the ABC series revealed its latest “connections” to the MCU, a sitdown with the Inhumans took a violent turn and Bobbi fell victim to a switcheroo.

I cued up this screener less than an hour after seeing The Avengers: Age of Ultron (after seeing Age of Adaline by mistake, DON’T ASK), which made for a pretty nifty, seamless experience.

For those who didn’t get to the Cineplex yet, the main, not-too-spoillery thing you needed to “know” about Avengers 2 is that — as revealed in this episode’s opening flashback, with Coulson and Koenig — a refurbished S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier (aka the purpose of Theta Protocol) was “pulled out of mothballs” at a pivotal moment. Also, the emergence of the Ultron villain was a product of Tony Stark’s hubris, an experiment in AI that he dove into without consulting all of his colleagues (ergo Gonzales comparing the billionaire inventor to the dangerously secretive Coulson).

After Gordon and Raina are spied teleporting onto Gonzales’ ship, in search of its secret cargo (a “liquid” monolith of some sort of Kree origin), the “real S.H.I.E.L.D.” is on high alert, wary of Skye’s new friends. Coulson suggests a meeting between him and the Inhumans’ leader, Jiaying — who, everyone starts to learn, is Skye’s mother. But given Phil’s closeness with Skye, he is replaced by Gonzales, while Raina plots to unseat Jiaying at the negotiating table, claiming she’s had an ominous premonition of “QuinJets raining fire” on their idyllic enclave. Jiaying thwarts that power play, though, and takes the meeting with Gonzales — where she even goes so far as to turn over Cal, as a sign of good faith.

But… maybe the faith isn’t so good after all.

Gonzales starts things off on a pleasant enough note, by giving Jiaying a Chinese pendant of hers found in Whitehall’s possession, that she had wanted to one day give to Daisy. (Before Whitehall and his people literally butchered her.) Gonzales than puts the best possible spin on his wish to index the Inhuman population — in the name of S.H.I.E.L.D. being able to protect the world should anyone/thing go haywire — but Jiaying sees it as nothing more than profiling. She politely voices her grievance as she takes out a homegrown Terrigen crystal, which has traces of the Diviner metal laced inside it. She then smashes it on the table, releasing a mist which turns Gonzales into ash — as she mocks his likening of the “scars” they share. Jiaying then shoots herself twice with his gun, runs outside and claims it was at Gonzales’ hand, and declares, “This is war!”

Meanwhile, as Cal is taken into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody, he has empty vials on him — suggesting that he is hopped up on the serum that gives him his… edge.

Elsewhere in the antepenultimate hour (leading into next week’s double-episode finale):
* As everyone made their way to Afterlife, Bobbi discovered that the May she was partnered with on a QuinJet was in fact Agent 33 aka Kara, who upon besting/tying up Morse and landing them in a remote field reunited with Ward — who put another few Icers into the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent for good measure.
* After putting on the best face possible all these weeks, but given his own harrowing experience with alien weirdness, Mack resigned from S.H.I.E.L.D., explaining to Coulson that he in good consciousness cannot work for him. (I’m hoping this doesn’t stick, that with Bobbi out of commission and all hell about to break loose, Mack will be compelled to help the team out, if even for one last battle.)

What did you think of the episode “Scars”?

1. tyranthraxus says:

Yeah that May reveal was the one I guessed the most. I had the feeling that Brainwashing or not Agent 33 sees a kindred spirit in Ward.

• laurelnev says:

But how did “the Board” not notice they’d assigned May to pilot 2 planes? Or was Bobbi just oblivious?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’ll be asking that in our 20ish Questions column on Friday ;)

• Koenig bros. says:

It’s all about the lanyards, people. If May had been wearing a lanyard, Agent 33 wouldn’t have been able to impersonate her (successfully.)

• Alichat says:

I wondered that myself. And none of the other pilots wondered who was flying the fourth plane or why it went off in a different direction?

• Kitasi says:

They probably had Bobbi (Agent 33) tell them she was flying some other mission and didn’t know more than one person was on the jet.

• AS says:

What do you mean? Bobbi isn’t Agent 33. Also who is “them”? The council? Bobbi wouldn’t tell the council that’s she’s flying a mission, she’s be assigned one.

• AS, I believe that Kitasi means that Agent 33 disguised herself as Bobbi and told them that she was flying.

• tyranthraxus says:

I think they write Bobbi a bit … strangely at times. I think some wires got crossed!.. Maybe they can mind condition Bobbi!

• Walking out into the open from the quinjet also made no sense. The ship has been piloted to an unknown position by an enemy and Bobbi just walks out of it? Tie up 33, call HQ (and see if the mask can be disabled), and reroute the jet out of there. Seems lazy writing.

• Sarah says:

From what I understood, the board never assigned anyone to take the plane that Bobbi and Kara used. Kara and Ward need Bobbi for something, so Kara disguised herself as May to trick her into taking the jet.

And yes, Bobbi was being oblivious. I guess she really didn’t feel the need to question Kara because she looked like May.

2. Vivi says:

Oh I loved the Avengers tie-in, so good, so seemless, very fitting (and it really didn´t spoil the movie to much I think, for those who didn´t saw it). The episode was amazing, set things up nicely for the season finale. Now I´m courious how they fit Wards agenda (what ever it may be) in the finale, as it seems to be all about Inhumans vs. SHIELD war (Hunter will go after Bobbi and we´ll get the talk I guess?). They totally got me with Rayna. I too thought, she lied. Well, very excited for the next episode!

3. Jimmy says:

Nice episode. I have to say, glad to see Mack going. He just got on my nerves these last few episodes.

4. laurelnev says:

Wow. Well, we know that Grant is not all “Team Shield,” and why he left Kara behind. Guess Simmons couldn’t disable that mask! But since they’ve announced a Bobbi spin off, we know she’ll get through this. And they finally said the “I” word. And Jaiying is a baddie that wants to start a war, Gonzales is stone, and Raina was actually telling the truth for a change! Great ep. Can’t wait to see Ultron…

5. Skittles&Bits says:

I’m glad Mack is gone. He’s annoyed me ever since this whole “SHIELD vs. SHIELD” bit started up. Not sure what’s going on with Ward and his GirlFriday 33. Not sure I care. Now, for the good stuff. I’m so glad Gonzalez weaseled himself into going in Coulson’s place because we all saw how that ended. Speaking of, Skye’s mom is…a bit intense? Not sure what the best word is but underneath all that mystic, graceful “love is me and I am love” humming is a viper. Not sure if this will be a good thing or not. Never thought I’d say this but wow, Raina, was right. Uh. Who would’ve thought? Still don’t like her and I’ll never trust her but I guess a broken clock’s right 2 times out of the day.

6. Ben says:

Matt…. how did you see Age of Adaline by accident?

7. James D says:

I know Marvel Studios is pissed at whedon for starting a TV universe, but they are mistaken seeing as this show and Daredevil have been their best overall product over the past couple of years. As much as I enjoyed AOU and all the MCU this show has become so stellar each week over this season that it’s hard to push it aside. With that said, I saw all of it coming especially the Jie Ying turn around. my question is what is Ward planning? Stupid Skye the Quake i know from the comics wouldn’t be so quick to trust these people and not trust Shield. sucks EJO is gone he makes anything he’s in a thousand times better. can’t wait to see the end game next week.

• Jim says:

Marvel is supposedly pissed at Whedon? Huh??? That makes no sense. This show is produced by Marvel Studios in conjunction with ABC (both owned by Disney) and Whedon’s production company. The show is overseen by Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada who oversee all of Marvel’s TV stuff. The show is integrated with Marvel’s MCU. You make it sound like Whedon just started up something on his own. This is Marvel’s show created by Marvel.

• Alichat says:

James D may be referencing an interview with Joss where he states resurrecting Coulson on the tv show rubbed the Marvel film team the wrong way. They weren’t really happy that he did it.

• James D says:

Yes but it is a Joss creation and a project that Joss pushed to get made, and apparently it wasn’t what Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios had intended, they wanted Joss to purely concentrate on MCU. I’m just going off what I’ve read on other sites, could be way off. But if you have been following Whedon news over the past couple of weeks it sounds like it is at least plausible there has been some bad blood between the two.

8. sladewilson says:

Bobbi actually beat Agent 33 and it was Ward that shot her (in the back – freakin’ coward) and Duct taped her also. I have no clue what his agenda is but maybe Mack will join the spinoff crew? I understand Mack – everyone forgot he was taken over also and he almost killed the team. I bet he still remembers that and it haunts him. I figured we’d have a May vs. Skye face off (teacher vs. pupil) but I bet Skye upon seeing Robert remembers Tripp and knows mama dearest is lying thru her teeth. I’ve got this feeling that when it’s all said and done, Coulson’s in charge and leaves Skye there to lead the Inhumans or be their mouthpiece to the world.

Personally, I can’t wait for the Royal Family to show up.

• Jim says:

Yep, that detail was incorrect…..Agent 33 didn’t best/tie up Morse…..Morse beat and then got shot by Ward after the plane landed. I highly doubt that the Royal Family will be part of the TV show….sounds like we’re dealing with many generations after them. They’d never be able to do them justice on a TV show and wouldn’t waste those characters on a TV episode either….not with an Inhumans movie on the horizon.

9. Chris says:

I wonder how they’re going to proceed with this Inhuman story seeing that the Inhumans movie isn’t coming out for like five years.

10. reviewer22 says:

I think its a good time to call in the Avengers with so many Inhumans ready to go to war :)

11. Sheldon W. says:

In good conscience – not consciousness. Consciousness is the state of being awake and aware; conscience is that little voice that allegedly helps keep us on the right path.

12. javadude54 says:

I feel sorry for Raina. She’s finally trying to be a good gal and the alarms she raises are ignored because a homicidal maniac says she’s selfish and manipulative. That’s going to be a major setback for her personal growth. As usual, the off-hand and casual complexity of this show keeps it at the top of my “must see TV” list.

What I really want to know is, who is Koenig’s sister and does she have her own lanyard?

13. Sammy says:

Mack is an irritating person. I’m glad he’s gone. Ditto with Gonzales! I’m not Phil’s Fan but still he realises that they can’t just kill the Inhumans which is what Gonzales wants to do. I guess all of this ‘indexing’ is leading to the Civil War story line in Cap 3 which is interesting but I’m over SHIELD trying to assert it self for the greater good. They should just leave the Inhumans alone.

14. Dee says:

I am confused about what they are doing with Ward’s character. They’ve gone so far now that he isn’t a likeable villain, and he isn’t so good at it that he’s fascinating. And it looks like they aren’t going to do a redemption arc for him. So I don’t see how his character ties in. I genuinely like the actor and his chemistry with the rest of the cast. But I am having a hard rime understanding the point of his character now.

• Kristina says:

I’m with you. He’s all over the place. I guess there’s something to be said for unpredictability, but I hope they spell out what they’re doing with him soon.

15. mike says:

Kind of had to know that when Coulson passed on the sit down that something was gonna happen.

Mack can stay gone. What a wuss. I’m also getting sick of and bored with Ward. Almost to same degree as Sylar season after season on Heroes. Enough already. We already know nothing will happen to Bobby since she’s apparently headlining the spin off. Which is fine cause I love me some Mockingbird.

16. Abbie says:

Did anyone else catch that this was Coulson’s second close call to coming in contact with the terrigen mist?
    Skye is going to be super mad when she finds out her mom and dad set Shield up. I was glad to see Gonzales go, what a jerk! Not so much Mack.
    Anyone else wonder: why Raina didn’t recommend Gordon meet or that Jaiying have someone with her at all times during the meeting? Also, Skye just told everyone that the people at afterlife want to be left alone, why would shield immediately insist on indexing everyone? I understand the points that are trying to be made. This is all good set up to Civil War.

17. Badpenny says:

AoS is a rough show to be a black guy on – if you are not killed-off at the end of Season 1 you quit at the end of Season 2. :)

18. Luis says: