The Voice Recap: Pumped-Up Six

The Voice Recap Sawyer

We all know who’s going to win Season 8 of The Voice — even though his coach semi-sabotaged him tonight with an unspeakable army of Ariana Grande clones.

Still, the identities of the four artists who’ll join preternaturally talented Sawyer Fredericks (AKA He Whose Recorded Burps Would Crack the iTunes Top 10) in next week’s semifinals are far less of a certainty — especially after a mixed showing on Top 6 performance night.

Will viewers bow down to Kimberly Nichole’s epic “Dirty Diana,” or crinkle their nose at her overbaked “Free Fallin'”? Can Koryn Hawthorne’s perfectly imperfect “Everybody Hurts” wash away memories of her overly ambitious “Dream On”? And what to make of Meghan Linsey, whose three-minute scream session on “Steamroller Blues” stood in direct opposition to her ethereally gorgeous/gorgeously ethereal “Amazing Grace”?

The Voice - Season 8There really isn’t a bad singer left in the mix — only the occasional bad song choices, bad arrangements, bad advice and bad staging. And that makes it tough to predict which solitary singer will be cut on Tuesday night — just missing the Top 5 in the process.

But let’s not get too caught up in handicapping the race; the more pressing business of grading this week’s performances is at hand!

Team Xtina: India Carney — John Legend and Common’s “Glory” (from Selma) — Grade: B | For the opening 30 seconds of India’s performance, I thought to myself, “Opera chick is finally going to have a moment!” But as India flipped Common’s rap into a sung verse — and cranked up the vibrato to 11 — her intensity level waned, and (as has become all too common these last few weeks) the end product seemed to be more about technique than genuine emotion.

Team Adam: Joshua Davis — U2’s “Desire” — Grade: D+ | It’s unclear whether we really needed a New Orleans jazz twist on U2’s “Desire” — but I can say without any hesitation that Joshua shouldn’t have been the one attempting it. Team Adam’s sole remaining singer has a rich, soothing tone — but his performance had all the passion and sexual energy of a room-temperature stick of margarine, a thudding error for a song that’s primarily about lust. Just as unfortunate, Adam’s decision to surround Joshua with The Voice band members backfired, too — as the horn section’s enviable charisma merely reminded me of how little magnetism Joshua has himself.

The Voice - Season 8Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne — REM’s “Everybody Hurts” — Grade: A- | Were there some pitch issues in the final refrain? Could Koryn have benefitted from a touch more restraint? As Ryan Lochte would say, “Jeah” and “Jeah!” But as Blake noted, her emotional and physical investment in the songs she tackles is kind of transcendent. Tonight, the bubbly teen brought to life the complex mix of hope and sadness of an REM lyric that was a monster hit several years before she was even conceived. (!!!) The fact that she also managed to add her own intricate inflections and bring a fresh touch with her distinctive quavery tone made the end product infinitely greater than the sum of its individual notes.

Team Xtina: Kimberly Nichole — Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin'” — Grade: B- | Without a doubt, “Free Fallin'” ranks as my favorite song covered on Top 6 night. But Kimberly’s opening verse was pitched so high, it brought out a slightly grating edge to her standard operating growl. Perhaps even more troubling, she brought so much holleration to the latter half of the number that she rendered Tom Petty’s wonderfully simple ditty almost unrecognizable. It was an odd choice — one that felt more aimed at “Look at the notes I can hit!” moreso than on capturing the mood of the lyrics (which aren’t as feel-good as Xtina kept insisting).

Team Blake: Meghan Linsey – James Taylor’s “Steamroller Blues” — Grade: C | I’ve complained about Meghan’s lack of nuance before – just last week, in fact, regarding her screamfest on The Beatles’ “Something” — but “Steamroller Blues” was her most egregious ALL-CAPS interlude. She treated James Taylor’s slinky blues jam like a Monster Truck decimating a compact car — kicking it off with the volume dial on full-blast, with her voice falling to pieces like an unpaid credit card bill in a shredder as she somehow got louder and more maniacal with every bar of music. When her own coach’s best compliment was that Meghan stomped on a ketchup packet and splattered America in the face (vocally speaking), you know this was a mess.

Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks — Daisy May Erlewine’s “Shine On” — Grade: A- | True confession: I’ve never heard the original version of “Shine On,” but after experiencing Sawyer’s tender, heartfelt take on the folk ditty, I can’t imagine a version more pleasing to the ear. As Blake pointed out, there’s something so simple, real and powerful about the way this teenager approaches a song that not even an army of rhythmless audience SwayBots can stop me from getting caught up in the magic. Eschewing crazy runs and outsized glory notes, Sawyer wraps his gifts in simple brown paper and a piece of bailing twine — and that less-is-more approach makes it all the more thrilling when he opens up and brings to life a lyric in vibrant, pulsating color.

The Voice - Season 8Team Xtina: Kimberly Nichole — Michael Jackson’s “Dirty Diana” — Grade: A | As a proud reality singing competition conspiracy theorist, can I please point out the perturbing one-two punch of Kimberly being forced to perform first in Round 2 of Top 6 night (only two numbers after her Round 1 jam) and Kimberly being obscured for half her performance by blasts of dry ice/steam more potent than the breath of Khaleesi’s dragons. Nevertheless, the self-proclaimed rock-n-roll ballerina lived up to her moniker by delivering a crazy-nasty-cool vocal highlighted by sexy, staccato verses, strut-and-grind choreography and a backbend-y final glory note that left me holding my breath with excitement. As I write this, Kimberly’s “Dirty Diana” remains the lowest ranking iTunes recording among the Season 8 Top 6 — a crippling blow to fearless acts of musical risk-taking, and a reminder that we’d all be ready to type the hashtag #VoiceSaveKimberly Tuesday night around 8:54pm ET, mmmkay?

Team Adam: Joshua Davis — The Beatles’ “In My Life” — Grade: B- | I won’t try to pretend that Joshua was out of tune or that his tone was in any way displeasing on his second song this week — but I can’t lie and say that it moved or excited me in any capacity. Team Adam’s last artist standing has a peculiar tendency not to emphasize any word or phrase over the next — and it all just winds up running together like a canvas that’s coated with cream-colored paint. And so inevitably, while my job requires me to pay strict attention to what the dude is doing on camera, his performances always wind up being a study in willpower not to check Facebook or take a snack break or refresh my email inbox.

Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne — Aerosmith’s “Dream On” — Grade: C+ | Isn’t there a quote in a history book somewhere that those who do not know their Voice history are doomed to fall short of Amanda Brown? No? Well, there should be. Because Amanda’s “Dream On” was the greatest thing ever to happen to NBC’s reality singing competition — even more epic than Christina Milian’s exit from the Sprint sky box! Koryn’s opening verse was noticably wobbly — and while I liked how she dug into the groove when she walked to the front of the stage and jammed out with a pair of guitarists, her aborted attempt at the song’s treacherous high note was deeply disappointing (and didn’t go unremarked by La Aguilera).

The Voice - Season 8Team Xtina: India Carney — Sam Smith’s “Lay Me Down” — Grade: B- | Just like with her first performance this week, India quickly drew me in as she mastered the quick cadence and desperate ache of Sam Smith’s opening verse. Alas, though, the spell was broken when India’s pitch began to waver at the top of her register — and a breathless (gaspy?) quality began to muddy her tone. Adam and Xtina rambled on about how the performance had returned India to front-runner status, but you’ll never convince me that ship didn’t hit an iceberg somewhere around Top 12 week.

Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks — Al Green’s “Take Me to the River” — Grade: B | I don’t know whose idea it was to surround Sawyer with a pack of shimmying Ariana Grande clones, but this attempt at bringing “FUN!” into his performance was akin to interjecting Godzilla in the background of Casablanca‘s final, climactic scene: Equal parts ridiculous, distracting and irksome. Sure, the vocal was solid, but with Sawyer’s Americana realness under heavy siege, the kid himself seemed a little bit disconnected from the lyrics. Sure, Pharrell would have to dump a bucket of pig’s blood over Sawyer’s head mid-performance to

The Voice - Season 8Team Blake: Meghan Linsey – “Amazing Grace” — Grade: A | Mad props (ugh — I just typed “mad props”… forgive me!) to Meghan for bravely going a cappella on the opening verse of her hymn — and sounding as flawless as Rihanna’s yellow mega-cape looked at the Met Ball. OK, sure, the giant pillars/church organ set was cheesier than a croque-monsieur (and her false eyelashes so heavy they actually obscured her left eye), but vocally, this was a risk that payed off — and proved Meghan can pull off dynamic range (when she chooses).

Will Be Bottom 2: India, Koryn (India going home)
Should Be Bottom 2: India, Joshua (Joshua going home)

OK, your turn. What did you think of The Voice‘s Top 6 performance night? Who were your faves? Who’s in trouble? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to expand on your thoughts!

1. Polly says:

Thank you Kimberly for not PUTTING ME TO SLEEP! lol. So sick of these heart-warming “inspirational” songs constantly on this show!

• Cathy says:

Very tired of all the screaming. That means you, Kim, Meghan, and Koryn. At this point, I don’t care who wins. None of them are outstanding.

• Cynthia says:

So totally agree..Can’t any of these “girls” just sing a song without screaming.

• Nanc says:

I agree. I have to go with Joshua – he doesn’t scare my pet:)

• JM1 says:

I listened to all the songs on iTunes. Sawyer bores me on stage, but sounds nice on iTunes. (“Take Me to the River” was bad, though – like poor karaoke and didn’t suit his voice.) Meghan is way less screamy than may appear live and has a GORGEOUS tone in her iTunes songs. Koryn’s voice sounds heavy, like a sledgehammer, and her vocal limitations show more. Joshua sounds generic (although “In My Life” is such a perfect song that it sounded good anyway) but could work on the radio if his songs are good. India has a very warm, inviting voice, doesn’t stand out that much but could slay if the song is right. Kimberly sounds really good on iTunes, but her song choices really didn’t work for her and, like when live, she sounds a little frantic.

• Birdy says:

What I find sad is that India has probably the best “pure” singing voice of any of the gals, but she can’t seem to quite put it all together in a single performance. That being sad, I hope she stays on. Her voice is lovely, and I’m getting tired of Kimberly and Koryn both yelling! I think Meghan has a great voice, but, God, she does some awfully weird, out-of-context stuff with it…. Maybe trying too hard?

• Lisa J. says:

Amen!

• Charlotte says:

Nobody is buying Kimberly’s iTunes unfortunately. She is the only one outside the Top 200 and BOTH of her songs are there. Bad omen for tomorrow night.

• Tyler says:

I’m not surprised. Free Fallin’ started off great but as soon as Kimberly stood up and started yelling like a diva–she ruined the song. I have a feeling Xtina had a lot to do with it. I think I would like Kimberley more if she was on anyone else’s team. I really don’t like how Xtina has to turn all of Kimberly’s performances into a diva rendition.

• JM1 says:

If you look Kim up on youtube, you will see that she is truly being herself. In this case, Xtina is giving her free rein and is not the one pushing the diva yelling. Surprising, I know!

• Terry says:

I lost all respect for Xtina after she jacked Postmodern Jukebox’s arrangement of ‘Creep’ (feat. Haley Reinhart) last week and passed it off as her own. Such a low character thing to do. SMDH. At least Kimberly posted on her social media accounts that her performance was inspired by Haley’s rendition. That made me appreciate Kimberly more, but I have a feeling she’s going to be the one eliminated tonight, no matter how much Michael tweets voicesavekimberly.

• Desmond Kane says:

While Xtina didn’t mention Postmodern Jukebox arrangement she didn’t jack it. Kimberly brought the arrangement to Christina and Kimberly did give them credit in press

• Terry says:

Um, what you said just proves that she jacked it. They should have mentioned the arrangement they were using was PMJ’s, that would have been the right thing to do.

• I agree I just dont care for her singing

• Yes I noticed Kimberly isnt charting but India is! That is a switch? I dont get it because I loved Dirty Diana!

• Nanc says:

Have you even heard the original “Dirty Diana”? Kimberly was flat-out awful in “her” cover of it.

I am truly tired of hearing the “classics” ruined this season. “Imagine” by Sawyer was absolutely atrocious.

• Yes The original Dirty Diana was Waaayyy better and I changed my mind. I liked it at first, but then went back and decided the performance was just tacky.

• So I know that Sawyer has been tweeting to help save contestants when they were in the bottom! Last week He tweeted for India and the week before Josh. Im curious who he would support if Josh and india are both in the bottom! Also if Koryn is in the bottom? I have an idea who might be in the bottom. I like Josh but dont think his song choices were great!

• Awww Just saw on Sawyers facebook, a picture of his mom and him and his 2 brothers It looked like the kids were 5, 6 around that age. All three boys are absolutely beautiful children and his mom was gorgeous! It looks like it could be an add for some type of beautiful family commercial. They all look like models!

• drc says:

I just don’t like her and hope she is gone after tonight.

• BobbieJo says:

Me too. She belongs on the adult cabaret circuit with her flaunting and screaming, not on this show that children watch!

• Jacob Harris says:

That’s one of the pettiest and ignorant comments I’ve read in a long time. You’re not invisible. I see who you are. Own it!

• Jules says:

BobbyJo, maybe you need to stick to watching the 700 Club or the Disney channel if you’re so worried about “vulgarity” and things that you deem to be “obscene” or inappropriate for kids. OR buy a damn DVR and fast foward through everyone but Sawyer so your precious, virgin eyeballs and ears won’t be damaged by the other singers. You DO have options!

• Temperance says:

Well, that’s a bizarre comment.

• Bringing Back the Sunshine says:

Agreed. She never should have made it this far.

• Jacob Harris says:

If it were based solely on singing ability she would be a shoe-in to win.

• drc says:

I disagree (obviously), but that is why there are so many genre options and performers out there. It would be a sad day if things became so “vanilla” that there were no choices.

• Angie_Overrated says:

There are some damn good singers in this competition this season. That being said, she’d absolutely be a very strong contender if it were based solely on the voice.

• Birdy says:

A shoo-in, you mean. But I think there are more talented singers on the show. She’s a good performer, but I don’t think she necessarily has the best voice.

• Nanc says:

Only if you like to hear screaming.

I think that she might have the best voice – (based upon the first phrase of each song)- but after the first section, all of the screaming, high pitched nonsense just takes over.

• Jlb says:

Shoo-in, nothing to do with shoes

• Jlb says:

Shoo-in

• Jacob Harris says:

You don’t know her to like or dislike her. But, you are what you are.

• drc says:

Okay – to be more specific – I just don’t like her style, voice and stage presence. Other than that, she may or may not be a nice person – nobody really knows from watching the program. Regardless, I still hope she is gone after tonight..

• Jill Moy says:

For cryin’ out loud, will America please eliminate THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN?????

• Jill Moy says:

Sawyer does not have the range or sounds even 1% like John Denver! What is everyone listening to?

• wild_child says:

*rolls eyes* because John Denver is the greatest vocalist of modern times…yeah, sure

• Tina says:

I totally agree. He sounds like karaoke. There are so many much better than him, he should be gone already.

• Christina Johnson says:

Sawyer is the most overrated contestant in the history of singing competitions. ill stop watching the voice if he wins

2. Ellie says:

Worst of the night was Koryn, followed by India. Not that they were bad, they just weren’t as good as the other four. “Dream On” was beyond young Koryn’s abilities but I think India has the target on her back.

• wild_child says:

NO….Joshua’s Desire was far and away the worst performance of the night by a country mile

• Nancy says:

Nearly all the performances tonight annoyed me. Not sure why. Lousy song choices. Too much oversinging — even by my fav, Kimberly. Wish Meghan had sung a cappella for the whole song. At least Sawyer finally gave a performance some effort. (Take me to river) Just don’t get his huge appeal.

• Bringing Back the Sunshine says:

Finally! Someone who agrees with me about Sawyer. I’m just don’t get him…

• Sharon says:

He has an awesome voice! He also doesn’t need to screech. It’s always pure joy for me to hear him sing! I would buy any of his songs.

• Me either, i think its just he is young and cute, all the girls vote for him.

• wild_child says:

why are you trying to invalidate the kid’s talent. Sawyer has undoubtedly that broadest fan base in terms of age demographics on this show. He’s not just appealing to teenage girls I assure you. I am in my 30s so he is old enough to be my son. I know he has fans that are in their 60s, 70s and even older. While some of you may not get what he does and feel the need to post about it incessantly here and elsewhere there is a large group of us who just love to listen to the purity of his voice Sawyer. He is an incredibly talented kid and an amazing songwriter. He will be the first major success story to come out of this show.

• A.R. Vega says:

Why would the girls be voting for him? He looks like a girl, so I can’t imagine its because he is cute. In fact, he is really creepy looking. He should get votes for his sound, that’s all.

• The Beach says:

I realize that Sawyer has his “look” and I’m usually fine with it but just once, maybe for just one song, I would love him to ditch the hat and tie his hair back…shake things up a bit with a different look. But that’s just me.

• Deborah Dean says:

Fortunately, Sawyer knows who he is, even at such a young age, and doesn’t feel the need to change to satisfy people whose attention span is that of a gnat.

• Fran says:

Well that was just rude Deborah. Beach didnt say anything bad about Sawyer.

• Paul G Haase says:

I completely agree, I find him boring to watch. Move around a little!

• The Beach says:

I have no idea how your mind went from my wondering what Sawyer (whom I like BTW) might look like without a hat to my having the attention span of a gnat but since you made that stupid comment why don’t you just act like a gnat and bite me!

• drc says:

Not his best, but I think that “Dream On” was a poor choice and poorly executed.

• Tyler says:

Was that Xtina’s choice? Same with Take Me To Church and Creep?!

• Jon says:

What was Pharrell thinking tonight? Surrounding Sawyer with those gyrating teens made him look like he was singing in a cheap 1970’s TV variety show. Take Me to the River is actually a decent choice for him, done simply with the band — but that staging was atrociously cheesy.

And giving Koryn “Dream On,” when even casual Voice fans know about Amanda Brown’s superlative performance, was just stupid. Koryn is really talented, but she doesn’t have Amanda’s range (who does?). Why open her up to unflattering comparisons? Now I remember why Pharrell did so badly last season…

• Mytake says:

You are 100% right with everything you said. Koryn was terrible on Dream On and nobody on the Voice should ever consider singing that song after Amanda slayed it. Amanda’s performance was the best performance ever on the voice IMO. It was painful listening to Koryn she was so off key.

• Katie Killjoy says:

Honey, that was anything, but off key.
            It just wasn’t a good arrangement for the song AND she didn’t go for the note. It was anticlimactic
            She was off key on her first song.

• Birdy says:

Aside from the stupid dancers, Sawyer’s performance was great; showed he can do more than the ballad-style stuff. Koryn’s “Dream On” wasn’t great, for sure, but far better than last week’s “Girl on Fire.” IMO, anyway.

• JM1 says:

Michael Stipes is cackling somewhere right now b/c no way was Everybody Hurts an “A.” And the less said about “Dream On,” the better.

• Reasonable says:

The song “dream on” is notorious for getting talent show people eliminated, either that week or the week after, because they lost ground against the others. so, scream-on. …

But this week, Kimberly fell-off the the bandwagon with both song choices, so hard to say which one is in the bottom right now.

3. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I AM BEGING TO AMERICA TO PLEASE VOTE FOR KIMBERLY TONIGHT!!! I don’t want her to leave, me and my mom are EXTREMELY WORRIED!!! PLEASE!!! 😰😥😭😪

• BobbieJo says:

Sorry she was literally exposing herself to America tonight. How tasteless and obscene! She will go home.

• OhMy says:

What in the world are you talking about?

• BobbieJo says:

She was thrusting her crotch and showing her panties. Completely grossed out by it. Plus is she a lesbian? Just curious.

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

She did nothing like that

• BobbieJo says:

Yes she did and you could see right up her skirt and she kept thrusting!! It was just yuck and WILL get her voted off! She repelled America tonight and is dead last on iTunes already. Say bye bye to her cause she is going home tomorrow.

• SaraPo629 says:

I had to go back and rewatch and i saw literally none of those things lol And the lesbian question? Oh my goodness. I NEVER comment on here, but i had to jump in on this ridiculousness…..COME…ON……

• Jacob Harris says:

I think you are a closet-lesbian.

• JM1 says:

I think Bobbie Jo is the lesbian and the reason she (alone) saw the crotch thrusting and panty flashing was because she was looking hard for it.

Happily, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING LESBIAN AND WHO CARES ANYWAY.

• I am very surprised. They are all charting except for Kimberly. Maybe some people at home think she was being too naughty like some people do here. I myself didnt really think so, but my eyes werent on her performance the whole time as I was on the phone. Someone said she showed her underwear? EEEK! I hope not. I have never seen her not chart at all! I will have to rewind and watch since I was on the phone most of her performance! I liked Sawyer and his mom. Pretty Emotional!

• Oh GEEEEZZZ! I just rewatched Kimberlys performance and yes, somebody here is exactly right! Nice Black Panties! That might be why all the Guitarists were standing around her below the stage. They could see right up her dress! Besides the fact that she laid on the floor and gave a second view of skivvies! Not Cool! I dont care who here gets mad at what I say, that was tacky and raunchy. Gross!

• ROL says:

Looks like someone’s missing the point of the song. It is, after all, called “Dirty Diana” – MJ’s most sexual song, about a slutty groupie (and what happens to a rockstar when he cheats on his wife with her). Any “vulgarity” was totally appropriate to the song.

• Jacob Harris says:

BobbleJo has never been entertained by anything stronger than Sesame Street. You see in her reply to you she’s even calling the woman a lesbian as though there would be something wrong with it if she were.

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I’m sorry to be rude, but what are u trying to say? She did nothing that was obscene or disgusted?

• Jacob Harris says:

Please return to the 1800’s or maybe even the Mayflower.

• as says:

Kimberly is the only one not charting for either song on i-tunes. You know her remark that last week was to show vulnerability shows just how insincere she was last week. Tonight, sorry, bu she was definitely doing some “dirty dancing” to Dirty Diana….might have come across better with Patrick Swayze backing her up.

• Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I didn’t really see that

• as says:

Well watch again. She’s been performing live for too long I think….she’s too rehearsed and that Michael Jackson Thriller crotch move was sort of tasteless for a woman her age in a tutu. She gets props for her BIG voice and I’m sure puts on a good show in NYC, but I don’t think she has a unique or authentic point of view vocally. Michael Slezak take off your rose colored glasses and tutu. You over-graded her again. What does every famous star say? Emote…tell a story…sing with feeling. All missing with Kimberly. She’s loud and a bit of a gaudy show-off.

• drc says:

Amen

• NotVirgin Mary says:

First off, she’s only 32.
            She is the only one to consistently emote in her performances. To say she isn’t emoting is ridiculous because she is the only one consistently doing that. In all of her performances, she is the one telling the story. Being loud isn’t mutually exclusive to being emotional. Just go rewatch Creep. Or What’s Up. Or House of The Rising Sun. To say she isn’t telling a story when that’s literally what she’s doing is inane.

• as says:

Just go listen to Haley Reinhart sing Creep with Modern Jukebox. Performing should come second to ‘singing’ the song. All of Kimberly’s performances were just that…performances. Over-the top and seriously, 32 years old is old enough to not gyrate, grab your crotch and show your underpants. It obviously wasn’t well received given her i-tune sales.

• Tyler says:

I saw no emoting in Creep or Dirty Diana. Just an actress who tried to be those characters and failed miserably.

• Nancy says:

I’m also worried. I think she really blew it tonight. Not obscene (that’s ridiculous) but just the wrong 2 songs. The first one — snooze. The second — just shouting. Did not have her usual exquisite finesse.

• drc says:

If you are worried, there must be a reason – and it could be that she doesn’t deserve to stay. I continue to be surprised that she is still on.

• Bringing Back the Sunshine says:

You should be worried. She should have been eliminated weeks ago. She’s gross…and grotesque.

• Jules says:

Gross and grotesque??? Grow up. Or change the chanel. If you’re going to have an opinion on something at least try to come to it with some intelligence. If you’re at all capable.

• Temperance says:

It’s just the same troll, posting under several names. Ignore the !@#$%.

• Jules says:

That was actually my first thought and I should’ve ignored them. It’s so hard to when they say such stupid stuff!!! Ugh! I honestly just shouldn’t read the comments at all.

4. BobbieJo says:

None of the rest are worthy of smelling Sawyer’s dirty sneakers! He will win and he will deserve it and who cares who finishes second, third, etc. None of the rest will have a career!!

• kevstar says:

And there it is. That feeling you get when you realize the person you’re speaking to is… certifiably CRAZY!

• BobbieJo says:

Oh look, Sawyer is in the Top 10 already and the rest trail far far behind in the land of loserville. HE IS THE ONLY STAR OF THE SHOW. PERIOD!! The rest all scream out of tune and Joshua is just flat and a bore and not one tenth as good as Sawyer despite being double his age! There is a Holiday Inn somewhere waiting for Joshua to perform. He can borrow Megan’s tip jar. lmao

• Sherr says:

Bobbie jo…I think you missed your meds today. Please take them. now.

• Tyler says:

Is that why Josh went to #4 on iTunes last week?

• rhonda says:

I am a 60 year old woman and Sawyer reminds me of all the folk singers from the 60’s. Thankyou Sawyer for bringing me back to my youth we just love you here in NY. I will say your coach should never have put in the dancers! it was like WoodStock meets Laughin! bad idea, but your voice still sounded amazing..

• Jacob Harris says:

You are so right. BobbleJo has some real and deep issues that need to be dealt with by professionals. Don’t you imagine her as an old woman with a petticoat and bonnet?

• Soma says:

Yeah BobbieJo Sawyer rules!!!! Please vote all Sawyer fans.

• kevstar says:

Goat boy sounds the same on every song. He might win the show because all the fuddy duddies like him. Oh, and don’t forget teeny boppers like Bobbie Jo. ( That name! You can practically smell the trailer park from here)

• Bart says:

That is just plain creepy.

5. Meghan and India were my favorites tonight! I never connect with India but this week she was just so passionate in her vocal. I think Kimberley’s in trouble.

• Kevin says:

India ruined the second half of her Sam Smith song. Meghan’s first wasn’t impressive. Try again. Koryn butchered Aerosmith and I will never forgive her for it. Sawyer was the only one good on both songs.

• I thought all of the Sam Smith song was gorgeous, and I usually don’t like Sam Smith songs. Glory was my favorite, though, I though it won the first round, with Meghan and Sawyer hot on her tail.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sawyer’s first song was admittedly awesome, and I’ve been a heavy Sawyer critic. Sawyer’s second song was his worst performance ever and I was literally getting red in the face from embarrassment for him.

• Sawyer’s first song was hypnotizing. I didn’t like his second song. I just watched Courtney Love do that on Empire, and she really brought the feeling the song needed because she’s lived through so much. Sawyer didn’t relate to it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Sawyer’s first song was the first time I got “it.” Not a perfect vocal, but it was good enough and he was fully connected to the lyrics in a way that was consistent with how he was delivering it musically. I approve greatly.
            The second one was awkward to the nth degree. Painful even. Forget the dancers. Let’s talk about his deer in headlights approach to stage presence for just a moment…

• Carolyn says:

Serious??? Sawyer is not a 40 something year old crack ho. He is so young but somehow finds a way to pull it off!

• Carolyn, I am also a huge Sawyer fan, but Tell us how you really feel! Lol Which one is the crack ho? LOL A couple of them look 40!

• JM1 says:

We can all agree that Sawyer himself did not suggest that staging and those backup dancers. How can anyone hate him that much?? It’s like kicking a puppy.

• tvtjw says:

That’s such a perfect way to word that – loved Sawyer’s second song, yes, I thought it was great. The backup dancers, though… oh my God, who thought of that? He’s just a baby, with all these grown women parading around him… that was like kicking a very innocent, fledgling puppy.

• S7 Fan says:

I know! Sawyer seems to be a very sweet kid with the talent of a potential vocal legend.

• tvtjw says:

The last thing we need is to corrupt Sawyer. Pharrell, or whoever created that, had their head in the wrong place. People love the innocence and beauty of a simple singer, and nobody needed the checkerboards and long legs dancing around him.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Thanks Angie. She butchered Amazing Grace. He needs softness, emotion+shading. The song is absolutely gorgeous so even an average performance will sound good, She did not come close to that. SLezak said ethereal, I say offensive.

• Those dancers around Sawyer was ridiculous, like an old elvis “Beach Blanket Bingo” movie with terrible dancer moves! Sawyer is a bit too young for that.

• bobsaccamanna says:

wow I was literally just going to write the same thing Angie. His first performance tonight was , for me, easily his best and most emotionally connected performance of the season. Then he completely sucked any soul out of a song that is just dripping with soul whether it is performed by Al Green, The Talking Heads, or the Commitments. He gave it the full “Children of the Corn” treatment. Something is missing with Sawyer because by all accounts I should like him, I like the tone of his voice, and he sings the kind of music I normally listen to away from the show, but until that first song tonight I have never felt a thing when he sings. I was counting on TMTTR to be the song that turned me into a Sawyer fan, one of my favorite songs, but unfortunately he sang it like someone on a robotics team had programmed him to sing it. Kind of disappointed in the whole show tonight, with 6 talented singers doing two songs each I was counting on being thoroughly entertained and I wasn’t. That first mess with Meghan, god that hurt my ears.

• Sharon says:

I agree it was horrible!

• Angie_Overrated says:

I was getting worried I’d turn into a Sawyer convert after his first performance. That second performance put that fear to bed. The good thing that came out of tonight is when he wins in 2 weeks, I won’t be angry because after Shine On, I am starting to see what the kid is capable of. Prior to tonight, I felt like the one person trying to point out that the emperor is kind of naked.
            Meghan I thought was a mess on both songs, but she’s apparently about to hit top 10 on iTunes with Amazing Grace. And a lot of people here loved it as well, which makes zero sense to me, but it is what it is.

• Sherr says:

Angie overrated…what a perfect name for you. You obviously are completely and irredeemably tone deaf. Meghan’s Amazing Grace was gorgeous.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m not tone deaf. I may, however, be deaf now from the supersonic volume explosion on that funeral hymn. I am now rewriting my will to ensure Ms. Meghan never sings at my funeral. You know, just in case.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Ok, I shall put this under the right comment. I agree with Angie. Meghan was a disaster. Amazing Grace is a beautiful song that even when sung average, sounds wonderful. Amazing G needs shading, needs softness, needs emotion, something Meghan seems incapable of doing. She is too loud, too strong, she ripped the feel of the song right out of it. Slezak says ethereal, I say offensive. There I put it in the right column.
            Sawyers first song was amazing. When Pharrell lets the kid stay in his comfort zone, stops trying to make him something he is not, the kid can perform magic. The 2nd song had no chance with the fiasco surrounding him.

• Linds says:

I agree – Meghan’s Amazing Grace was a B- at best – and I loved the comment about even meh singers doing a better job. I try and try to like her, but I just can’t really get on board. On the other hand, Koryn isn’t as technically perfect but brings it home. India lost me a few weeks ago, and last night I was shocked to find that Joshua and Kim have lost me as well. Sawyer – that boy is unbelievable. Of course the dancers were ridiculous, but THAT voice & soul are ethereal.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Sorry comment in wrong column

• tammy says:

I agree. Blake said it all! He is a great singer, but he is a terrible performer, he obviously can’t dance that’s why they put the dancers next to him, but the whole thing just looked awful.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Sawyer butchered the second song, you can’t sing Take Me To The River with no passion, whatever version you are attempting.

6. AmyP says:

Hmm. I’m struggling to root for any specific contestant this season. They’re all talented, but I have yet to buy a single song off iTunes this season. Not loving the song choices.

7. Helena says:

Joshua is so down the middle every performance because he has no vocal range!

• Jon says:

And Joshua is NOT a rock singer, no matter how much he wants to be. He is fine in the mellow/coffeehouse style, and there’s no shame in that. “In My Life” is currently doing fine on iTunes, and that sort of Boomer-lite stuff works for him.

8. wild_child says:

I’m sorry but it’s time for India to go. I hated Joshua’s Desire but he rebounded nicely with In My Life. India was the only contestant tonight of who had two loser performances for me tonight. Her biggest issue has been song choices and tonight was no exception. She did not live up to Sam Smith/John Legend’s vocals. I’m sorry but it was a misfire. Nice girl, nice voice but her time is up.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Counterpoint: India had two excellent performances.

• Runner says:

It was a great night for India to shine. If this were strategy, it would be a good one.

• Angie_Overrated says:

She turned her vibrato back on finally. When Christina advised her to do so, there was a lot of hootin’ and hollerin’ coming from this living room. And she finally sounded good again. Not perfect, but on a messy night like tonight, it should be more than enough.

• kevstar says:

Glory was fabulous. Koryn is the one I suspect will go home.

• saucie says:

i agree ^^ i thought “glory” was fabulous and india had a great night. i didn’t like either of koryn’s performances much. she and meghan should go, IMO. but they won’t . . . if they stay and kimberley goes home i will be sad!

i loved koryn’s performance of “make it rain” a few weeks ago. i liked “amazing grace” and meghan has a set of pipes but she just doesn’t move me.

• Tyler says:

Don’t you think that’s true for almost all of the divas this season? They have a good set of pipes, but Kimberly, Meghan and Diana don’t move me at all. Koryn moves me a little bit but I haven’t been crazy about her song choices. I guess that’s why I prefer Josh and Sawyer because at least they manage to move me at times.

• PlayTheGame says:

I have to disagree. For me, India is muzak-boring personified. Yes, she hits most the notes, she’s pretty to look at. But I also forget her almost immediately, even with her theatrics. She probably would be great on Broadway. She’s probably a better technical singer than say, Kimberly — but Kimberly is just more believable.

• JM1 says:

I thought India performed her best tonight and she couldn’t be lovelier. The thing about her, for me, is that the top part of her voice is not super pleasing. Even the high notes are in a deep voice. It may be technically perfect, but I wouldn’t go search her out on iTunes.

9. Angie_Overrated says:

Wow, polarizing night I see. I thought Meghan’s Amazing Grace was infuriatingly bad, and I’ve been a Meghan fan most of the season. I really really hated that quite viscerally. Why did she scream a funeral hymn at us?
    I also thought India was #3 of the night behind Sawyer and Koryn. She had two solid performances, both of which were better than anything she’s done since the live rounds started.
    I also didn’t think Koryn’s Dream On was as bad as a C+. It wasn’t great, but if Jax can get a B+ for Human (?!?!?!?!), then Koryn’s Dream On should be an A+++++++.
    The one thing we can all agree on was that Joshua’s Desire sucked. Like, really sucked.

• OhMy says:

Agree about Jax, but nevertheless, tonight — that was a C at best.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m biased. Koryn’s my baby girl. I can’t give an objective opinion on this one, much like Slezak can’t give one on Jax. But I have a sneaking suspicion you might be right even if I refuse to acknowledge this unfortunate truth.

• danin says:

Meghan had many moments if softness & different textures in Amazing Grace.She &Koryn w/Everybody Hurts, gave me chills.Thought Sawyer’s first song was boringish.And I love Sawyer.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You didn’t like Sawyer’s first song? I thought that was his best performance of the season and I say that as someone who has not been a Sawyer supporter. And the only texture I heard on Amazing Grace was garishly loud.
            Funny how two people hear something completely different from the same performances. Back to my original point, this was a polarizing night. :)

• Sherr says:

Ah, that explains so much. You are in heaven over a shrill, screechy voice with an out of control vibrato. Got it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ah, the infantile words of someone lacking in eloquence who will resort to name calling as those are the only tools available to someone as ill-equipped as you…

• Runner says:

Dream On was just the wrong song choice. Fortunately for Koryn, even with a weird song choice – she is still better than most.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I didn’t hate it like most apparently did. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if India or Kimberly leave tomorrow. I believe we’ll get a consolidation of votes behind the remaining two ladies. But if two of them make it the finale, they’re both toast against Sawyer.

• Charlotte says:

Jax is absolutely terrible most of the time and is barely worthy of a C most weeks. Mr. Slezak just latched onto her at the beginning and refuses to let go. All six singers on The Voice are miles better than her and her fake little Hot Topic tween rocker chick act.

• Dee says:

Glad I am not the only one who was wondering why Meghan was singing so high on Amazing Grace!!! But yea Koryn, I appreciate her trying Dream On but it didn’t hold a candle to when Amanda Brown did it back in Season 3 I believe.

• Davey says:

I agree about Meghan. So affected. Amazing Grace is an incredible song, and I’ve had folk singers like Pete Seeger do much more inspiring versions. The organ really felt like they were pandering to the Christian vote.

• JT says:

So using an organ on a Christian hymn is “pandering”? Next you’ll tell us that using an electric guitar is pandering to the heavy metal vote…

• Adam says:

Totally agree. Her high notes are just screams with no melody what so ever. I literally lower my TV volume when she gets ready for a high note.

• ellie says:

Agree about Meghan. I told my husband that when they play that song at a funeral it can be very touching but I didn’t care for it on the voice. But it’ll probably save her from being in the bottom 3 so that’s just fine coaching by Blake.

• Carolyn says:

Meghans rendition of Amazing Grace was the best of all tonight! I would be honored to it played at my funeral. She sang it because she can!!

Glory was awesome, gave me chills. Which was good because Joshua almost put me to sleep….

Sawyer is Sawyer, he is awesome and whatever you say he will be a big star and huge player in the music business!

There, take care

• Angie_Overrated says:

I would come back and haunt anyone who allowed Meghan to sing that song at my funeral. No seriously, I will. I don’t know what the afterlife protocol is (does anyone have a copy of the Handbook for the Recently Deceased from Beetlejuice?), but I would so haunt them.

• The Beach says:

I thought the ending of Koryn’s Dream On was really odd. It just sort of stopped with no real defining end.
      Those ’60s go-go dancers were about the stupidest and most distracting production I’ve seen since X-Factor (thankfully) went off the air. Pharell needs a swift kick in the butt for that idiocy.
      And what you got with Meghan’s Amazing Grace was a Blake last ditch desperation move to win The Voice again by getting all his god-fearin’ country folk fans to vote.

• Angie_Overrated says:

If Slezak can give Jax a B+ for Human, I’m allowed to be entirely irrational and say that Dream On was amazing, ok? :) To your point, yes. I think she actually screwed something up actually. I don’t think she was singing the arrangement as agreed. Or maybe the band played the wrong thing? There was clearly a miscommunication there of some sort.

• angiesucks says:

Just because it’s used at funerals doesn’t mean it’s a “funeral song” only. It’s not freaking Danny Boy. Too bad there’s not any guys doing only falsetto this year for you!

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m sorry that my not liking your favorite performance wounded you so mortally. All my thoughts and prayers go out for your healing process in this difficult time.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I agree with you regarding Koryn’s Dream On. I enjoyed the hell out of it until she backed away from the climactic glory note. It’s the signature note of the song, and without it the performance is just meh. Still, I would give her a solid B because everything that can before it was damn good.
      Also, I didn’t think Amazing Grace was bad, just not a choice I wanted to hear. Meghan’s first song, however, was a solid A for me.

10. Sheri says:

My hearing must be off cuz I thought Koryn missed several notes on Everybody Hurts

• Angie_Overrated says:

Your hearing’s not off. She did. But your hearing would be off if you thought that any of them had perfect vocal performances. None did. They had a sloppy night.

• Kaba says:

She hit a slew of them.
        For a moment I thought she was just gonna go entirely off key for the rest of the performance cause it felt like it was teetering at some point

• JM1 says:

Thanks, Kaba – I never know why Koryn’s performances put me off but you just said it. She kind of teeters on the edge where she can go either way and it unsettles me.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Koryn’s not one who has struggled with pitch. The ones where pitch was an issue are all gone now. All 6 of these finalists stay almost entirely in tune.

• Kaba says:

Understandable, though this is the one night where I felt she was just flat out teetering.
            Other nights, particularly last week, the notes were just off.
            Not as off as Everybody Hurts was tonight though.
            Everything before Make It Rain has been fine though.

• JM1 says:

I don’t mean pitch. When she starts the head-shaking and hand-wagging, I’m not always sure she’s going to keep it together. That said, she does keep it together so kudos to her. I just find it unsettling. But props to her and all of them for getting up there.

11. Evan says:

India or Joshua could go and I would be okay with that. It should really only be the two of them but I think Koryn could be in the bottom two. I thought Meghan had the best night, followed by Kimberly. Joshua’s U2 song arrangement was HORRENDOUS but he sounded great on “In My Life.” Sawyer has no stage presence and that is making it so hard to root for him even though I’ve accepted his inevitable victory. Koryn was haunted by the ghost of Amanda Brown with that “Dream On” performance but “Everybody Hurts” was great. India was bland in both performances so I think I’d like to see her go.

• tealeaves says:

But Sawyer does have stage presence. That’s the thing. He has a presence.

• saucie says:

yes, he does. i think “take me to the river” would have been waaaaayyy better with just him and the band.

• saucie says:

i just love sawyer, too. i do wish he had done the song more like al green’s version, however, props to him to challenging himself. i thought amazing grace was lovely, but for me : now meghan can go home with those dancers-! if she wins this you will hear me screamimg (in dismay) all the way from the state of maine.

12. Eurydice says:

For the first time all season, I didn’t like Kimberly’s performances – I don’t know why, but they left me cold. Still, I think she’ll be in the final three along with Sawyer and Meghan.

13. lori says:

Koryn’s performance on “Everybody Hurts” was spectacular! I also enjoyed Amazing Grace, but Koryn gets my vote.

14. Ralphthegoat says:

Sawyer is at least 3 quantum levels above all the rest even when sabotaged by checkered dancing fools attempting to distract from him awesome natural talent

15. MC says:

Slezak’s grading seems pretty darn accurate tonight, although I’m still checking out a few of the videos. I’m glad to see he enjoyed “Amazing Grace” as much as I did. Incidentally, Meghan has some interesting music videos out there. Check out “Cocaine and Jesus” and her cover of “Counting Stars.” Good stuff.

16. Charlotte says:

Joshua’s Desire was the worst easily but he will stay because he’s a white “good family man” and they show his baby every 3 seconds. I thought Koryn was terrible and shaky on Dream On and she clearly couldn’t hit the notes. Koryn also seems the same every single week regardless of what song she does. Girl is cranked up to a 10 constantly and shaking like she has Parkinson’s or something. It’s ANNOYING! India is a good singer but boring and forgettable all the same. Best three were Sawyer, Kimberly and Meghan.

17. Kim Moores says:

Thought India was rather great tonight.
    Underrated performances.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes. I’m greatly confused by the India ambivalence. She was pretty good tonight, and relative to her competitors, she was excellent. And you know I haven’t been singing that girl’s praises at all the last several weeks. She stepped it up tonight in a big way.

• Kim Moores says:

I enjoyed the mess out of Glory, which was your favorite India performance tonight?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Honestly, I loved them both. I was beginning to become convinced she was incapable of giving us another good performance as she hasn’t done anything noteworthy since all the way back to her battle round with Stay.
          If I had to pick, I’d begrudgingly say Glory. I was absolutely feeling that one. I loved the Sam Smith one a lot though too.

• Kim Moores says:

Well at least she gave us a good one before possibly being sent home. Her iTunes rankings aren’t looking the best…better than Kim though!

• Mack_attack says:

I started out loving India, but she is so darn confusing! She has a beautiful voice, she just doesn’t connect all the time. I’m glad that she had a good night, it made me remember why I liked her so much at the beginning.

• Birdy says:

She sure did, Angie! I love that girl’s voice, and she’s blossomed the last couple weeks! Loved “Glory” and “Lay Me Down” wasn’t too bad, either. LOL…

18. Kim Moores says:

K. Lemme break down performances:
    Joshua:
    First song was unforgivably bad, second song was better…but not anything special. I can literally see buskers doing that half asleep
    Kimberly:
    1st song was a Joshua song, boring A F. Second song was electric A F. Looooved it
    Meghan:
    Me not a fan of her first song. Her shredded upper register was ott.
    Koryn:
    1st song awesome, 2nd song…if you ain’t going for the note leave the song along…the build up was awesoe as hell though
    India:
    Great first song, 2nd song just as great. Not rated high enough cause she was awesome
    Sawyer:
    Nope

19. Kim Moores says:

Also…
    I’ve spent the entire season thinking Meghan was in her late 50s.
    Low and behold she’s YOUNGER than my eldest sister..
    She’s 29? Wow…age is not on her side.

• JM1 says:

Luckily she has talent on her side. :-)

• JMI I see you are a nice person. I hate when people start hating on a singers looks. I like Meghan and it must hurt her to see how some people with fake names and photos call her unspeakable names and make comments about her age. Who cares if she looks older than 20 or is not as pretty as Xtina?. This is supposed to be about the voice not AI yet at the end, as in life it all comes down to how young and pretty someone is. Michael is right in Sawyer will win because he fits that image yet even with his talent I think he is not ready for prime time. I actually liked the go go dancers around Sawyer because it was so uncomfortable to look at him there with them. I wish everyone well

• BobbieJo says:

Meghan is cursed with a Droopy the Dog face that makes her look 15-20 years older than she actually is.

• Gailer says:

That break up must have aged her

• Lisa Hanna says:

The platinum hair and the wardrobe do her no favors.

20. tvtjw says:

Ah yes, another wonderful week of Slezak putting Joshua down :) I hope someone recognizes the sarcasm there.

• Kim Moores says:

Joshua was awful tonight.
      His first song…admittedly his first song would have been awful if they’d removed him from the equation and let the band wail out like they obviously wanted to.
      His second song…that’s a feasible performance on a show called ‘The Voice’? It was a nice vocal, but that was on the level of your average teenaged busker.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I was finally able to figure out what it is about Joshua that I don’t like. It’s so muzak. Yes, his second song was a lot better than first, which is like saying eating donuts is tastier than eating rocks, but it’s so sleepy and adult contemporary. I would be greatly appreciative if I heard his covers in a dentist’s waiting room before a root canal. But that’s about the only time I’d want to hear his covers.

• Tyler says:

That’s exactly how I felt about India and Koryn’s first songs. Dentist office music.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Back to my original point…. polarizing night! I loved India’s and Koryn’s first songs. Two of the best performances of the night IMO.

• tvtjw says:

Yes, the band drowned his first song out, but Pharrell was right in the comments in that he looked like he was having fun – and that is a GREAT vibe to get from a performer! He seemed to genuinely enjoy singing and being on stage, so I liked Desire. I really had nothing against it until I came onto this website. I still have nothing against it, but apparently everyone else does.

• Davey says:

Yes, Joshua was having fun and he will continue to have fun playing music after the Voice. It looks like he has a good thing going with his wife and family.

21. Bimmy Murray says:

WT Heck were they thinking with the go-to girls on SF’s performance of “Take Me to the River”?! Who is in charge of these productions? JUST what I was afraid they would do to Sawyer! It disrespected his talent! Luckily,nothing changes his gift or his ability to shine! Shine on, Sawyer!:-)

• tealeaves says:

The X-Factor style production was truly perplexing. We they TRYING to sabotage him? His vocals were fantastic, though. I think it was a great song for him. Whoever decided to put him amid a see of 60’s Go-Go dancers really should be fired.
      But I have no doubts he is walking away with the win this season. He’s one of the best singing show contestants I have ever seen.

• tealeaves says:

Um, that was supposed to read “Were they TRYING to sabotage him?” and “amid a sea of 60’s Go-Go dancers.”
        Guess I got a little too fired up and careless.

22. Matt says:

I was immediately intrigued when they said Kimberly would do Dirty Diana. It lived up to some very high expectations I gave for it. Therefore Kimberly should absolutely move on along with Meghan and Koryn. India’s as good as gone unless she sings a Toni Braxton song for her last chance song IMO. Having said that, when India is near the bottom it shows that this is a very good final 6.

23. Davey says:

I love the song Amazing Grace. I’ve heard more inspiring versions of that song at my local church. And I’ve been spoiled by Judy Collins’ rendition. I can’t buy the Meghan Lindsay kool-aid. She sang her best song a few weeks ago. I’m tired about hearing how many ups and downs she’s had. Except for Sawyer, I think all the other singers have had their ups and downs. She’ll probably be in the top 3 because of Blake.

Much as I love Kimberly I don’t think either song choice helped her tonight. I know Michael has his biases, but there was no way that Joshua should get a D+ for his first song. I didn’t like the song but I liked the arrangement and I thought it suited his voice much better than Adam’s pick for him two weeks ago. And In My Life was a B+. He sang the song well despite the idiot clappers.

• Tyler says:

Agree. I liked the jazzy vibe to Josh’s first song although the band drowned him out towards the end. I think it would’ve been better with just a piano. And I didn’t buy Koryn’s intensity in Dream On so I didn’t think it was good at all. Slezak’s grades never make any sense. They’re even more inconsistent on this season of Idol.

24. danin says:

India B&B- Josh C&B+, Koryn A-&C-, Kim-B+&B+, Meghan-C&A+, Sawyer-B&B+(who wrote Shine On?) And was Kim struggling for words a few times in Dirty Diana? Meghan&Kim gave me goose bumps tonight w/Amazing Grace&Everybody Hurts.

25. Kim Moores says:

Sincerely don’t understand how Kim is charting so low.
    She’s dead last on both songs.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Just pray she’s in the bottom two with Joshua. That would be a funny sing-off. It’d be like watching Evander Hollyfield boxing against a newborn.

• Kim Moores says:

iTunes indicates she’s gonna be in the bottom with India at this rate…
        This is weird.

• Angie_Overrated says:

It’s all moot anyways. They’re all playing for second place at this point. No one can beat Sawyer no matter what. Read this board. His second song was a total mess and people are still praising his performance and blaming it all on the dancers. And it’ll probably break the top 10 on iTunes.
          That’s effectively what Blake was shouting (drunkenly) when he was yelling “it doesn’t matter!”

• Paige Turner says:

Sawyer is an unremarkable singer. I’m disgusted by the season’s cooing over such a mediocre performer. Clearly they were told to praise him no matter what. The show’s fixed.

• JM1 says:

I mostly buy the songs that I don’t already know well . . . then they seem new to me. Like songs that haven’t broken big yet, or where I never heard the original.

Nothing about Free Falling or Dirty Diana makes me want to buy those songs, no matter how much I like Kim Nicky.

• The Beach says:

I’m the very same way. I would probably buy Sawyer’s Shine On because I was not familiar with it and it was very good. But if I’m adding a song I like to my library, 98% of the time it’s going to be by the original artist rather than a soon-to-be-forgotten talent show contestant. There have been a few exceptions like Amber Carrington’s Stay and Elise Testone’s Vienna but not many.

26. TC says:

Not sure what you were listening to Michael, but Kimberly’s Dirty Diana was a train wreck. Maybe I was expecting too much because I’ve heard so many great things about her rendition of that great song. Or maybe it was just that bad.

27. Lori says:

Why do they say each week they want the total package, then ptaise, Sawyer, who only has a voice, one that can only sing the same type of music each time. He has, NO personality, no emotion, only that weird creepy smile. He is stiff and afraid to even reach out to his fans. I find him completly bored and soooo overrated. enloy the passion from Kimberly and Megan. Both totally invested in baring their soul. Koryn, is over her head, and shakes to much, she pushes every song to full on no let up. I know we are stuck with yucky Sawyer, save Megan and Kimberly!!!!!

• tvtjw says:

Wow… Sawyer… emotionless… in one sentence? His performances are all about the emotion. He connects with every song so well. You can see it in his face and eyes, when he plays the guitar, even when his voice breaks, it’s done tastefully, like when he lost it on Imagine. It genuinely seemed like a heartfelt moment.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Well, not all of us feel that emotion. I actually did for the first time ever tonight. My biggest problem with him throughout the season is he’s trying to communicate adult lyrics with dead eyes and a nervous smile with almost no musical phrasing. Shine On was the first time he ever once sounded like a musician to me. Then his second song was a reminder of what it was I was not rooting for all season.

• danin says:

See, though I wasn’t enamored of Shine On, the thing I love vei about Sawyer is his tenderness..and I felt that coming from him and as you said he connected w/the song.He didn’t once look at his guitar,he didn’t need to.And I see tenderness in his eyes,not dead eyes to me at all.His humility&auhenticity DO shine on.I believe that’s what most of us are getting with as well as the juxtaposition of the grit in the voice to the image..the strength of his voice juxtaposed w/his unassuming sweetness.

• S7 Fan says:

^^^^^ Yes

• Cip says:

I think people see what they want to see…..all objectivity is gone after week two of these competition shows. And I agree with you 100% Danin and tvtjw, I see nothing but sincerity and emotion in Sawyer’s performances while other’s (who shall be nameless) performances seemed a bit contrived

• slo@8 says:

I LOVE your description of Sawyer! Creepiest smile and no range at all.

28. Gailer says:

Not a great night overall. I think it was song choices IMO. Which this means Blake will probably win again with Meghan.

• Jacob Harris says:

I agree. I don’t think the song choices were good tonight. I still don’t think Meghan will win. However, I personally like all of the 6, but Joshua is a bit too boring for me.

29. Matty says:

I have loved Kimberly since Day 1 but I think she’s in jeopardy tonight. I don’t think Dirty Diana was an A. Music was too loud and that was all performance based, which doesn’t translate to iTunes sales. I hope Josh is sent packing, but I can totally see her going home – neither song was memorable.

• drc says:

I have long thought Kimberly should go and do like Josh. However, don’t think he has the big start power package. Not the right decade for the folk guy to be on top.

30. Eve says:

India is so boring and overly dramatic. She is beautiful but belongs in musical theater. The other women just scream. Hurts my ears. Josh is boring. Sawyer is just so sweet looking and has certainly captured the hearts of the older crowd with his folk music. Very refreshing and I hope he wins.

31. Soma says:

Please VOTE FOR SAWYER!!!

• Jill Moy says:

SOMA,

You need to take a couple somas! Sawyer is average! AND….HE NEEDS TO GET RID OF THAT RIDICULOUS LOOKING HAT!

32. JM says:

Agree with Michael that most singers gave one bad performance and one good one. Not sure what was up. India and Sawyer were good on both songs. Poor Sawyer, I think people are judging his 2nd perf. based on the dancers, which isn’t his fault. And I thought his stage presence improved from last week when he tried to walk around. Like his Mom said, he is slowly coming out of his shell.
    Side note: Can’t wait to see Vicci Martinez tomorrow night! She was fav. to win her season.

33. tealeaves says:

I posted weeks ago that my favorites were Sawyer, Joshua, and Meghan. That’s a diverse group where each has had one of my favorite performances on any given night. Joshua’s Desire was a hot mess arrangement-wise, so he might be in trouble. As much as I liked his performance on In My Life, the slapping was really distracting so it might not have redeemed him.

34. Actually, Kimberly is in trouble tonight. Has barely broken the top 200 on iTunes. I also wasn’t very impressed with her performances (especially Free Fallin’ – but haven’t we seen her pull off her “I’ll just lie down on stage and scream at the end” already? Tedious.)

35. Josh deserves at least a few extra points for managing to sing through that horrific, rhythm destroying clapping.

36. Paige Turner says:

So sick of all the screamers. And I predicted Sawyer a month ago because they’re shoving him down our throats. He’s definitely a case of the Emperor’s Clothes. The kid is unspectacular, boring, lacking in charisma, and quite often out of tune. I DARE these singers to sing a song without screaming, without mellismas and runs, without over-singing.

37. Delecia says:

Tonight’s performances were average… Joshua was ok.. Adam was annoying. Kimberly I thought she was very rehearsed but I love her confidence. India has a great voice but unfortunately she cannot seem to connect and the Rendition of Sam Smith could have been wayyyyy better, but she was good. Meghan, not a huge fan but good job. Sawyer is my favorite, though not his best performance I liked that he stepped out of his normalcy but those dancers I MEAN COME ONNNNNNNNN…. NO! Koryn I found she screamed a bit but thats all in a performance I guess.

38. Jujubemar says:

Don’t understand the people’s reaction to Sawyer?? He sings ok..nothing fantastic..but he is creepy to look at i think..am I the only one that finds his strange??

39. susie says:

Kimberly and India had the wrong song choices tonight, especially India who really messed up Sam smith’s Lay Me Down…didn’t like that rendition. Loved both of Koryn’s and Sawyer’s song, especially their first songs. Joshua has a good voice but he does not excite me with his song selections…too boring for me with his song selections and Meghan, I agree with you Michael, screamed the heck out of that first song. I had to turn my TV down. Her second song was much better. My grades would be: Kimberly – B on both of her songs; India – C+ on first song and D on second song; Joshua C on both of his songs; Meghan – C+ (for screaming) on first song and B on second song; Sawyer – A- on first song and B on second and Koryn – A- on first song and B- on second.

40. Ashley judd says:

Kimberly just yells every time she is terrible, no idea how she made it this far.

41. Lux rucker says:

Kimberly Nicole is the best singer/performer on the show, not many people can rock dirty Diana by Michael Jackson. The girl has pipes.

42. Kimberly just keeps getting better.

43. Ashley judd says:

Kimberly is the worst. Never should have made it this far. Her screaming of lyrics have made me go deaf.

44. Phyllis rucker says:

Great job Kimberly Nicole.

45. slo@8 says:

Song choices, 4 the most part, have been really sabotaging. They all are too crazy anxious to win and are coming g across as too in your face. More females vote than males…Sawyer will win but shouldn’t. Maybe in a couple of years when his voice matures and range develops.

46. Kim Moores says:

Can someone explain to me how Meghan slides by every week without being called out for screaming? Her shredded upper register sounds exactly like Kimberly when she actually screams a note.
    The difference is that Kimberly will call a scream and the rest of yall will claim Meghan was ‘beling’.

• JM1 says:

I get your complaint that Meghan belts too much – as most of them do – but she puts a lot of dynamics into her singing so there’s a good balance of soft and loud. The scary thing is that, sometimes, she’s belting while I swear only using like half of her power.

• danin says:

And there you have it! Meghan,dynamics..I love her

• Kim Moores says:

And then we come back to Kimberly…she’s only really gone full crazy on HOTR and Dirty Diana.
          Otherwise her performances have been well rounded and with noticeable dynamic shifts.
          So, as I said, why does Kimberly get harped on when she openly says she’s going all out?
          Meghan has had performances with less dynamic shaping than Kimberly’s.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I think it’s hilarious how everyone was whining about Creep last week being over the top. Amazing Grace tonight made Creep seem solemn, restrained, and subtle by comparison. It seriously feels like I’m living in a parallel universe where right means left and sock means banana. Nothing is making any sense to me tonight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ok, I’ve been a Meghan fan, until tonight that is. How can you argue that there were dynamics on either of her songs tonight? For all the talk about how Hannah had her volume dial stuck on 11, if Hannah was stuck on 11, Meghan was stuck on 22 tonight. There were zero dynamics to speak of.
        I hope she fixes this problem, because I really liked the girl. My worry is that she’ll be emboldened by her chart success and think that screaming everything is the winning formula.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Meghan was far and away the worst I’ve ever heard in terms of screaming on the show. Now, you know I love the big voices, but both of her performances tonight were artless screaming. I hated each and every second of them, including the song that is currently #12 on the charts. No, let me rephrase, ESPECIALLY the song that is currently #12 on the charts.
      But back to the question you pose…. I have no answer. There is no answer. The black ladies historically do not do well on The Voice. In fact, I can’t even think of any who have even made the finals. Which is especially unfortunate this season because the black ladies are delivering in a huge way.

• Kim Moores says:

Meghan is so viciously guilty of relying on her upper register I guess it’s just safe to assume people just don’t notice the nonsense. It’s like back in S5 when Will Champlin was howling his way, aggressively, through every song, but Jacquie Lee was the only screamer that season.
        Tessanne made it to the finale…but she was half black. It’s amazing how keen they are to vote against anyone they even suspect of being a ‘diva belter’.
        Kimberly is pretty much strictly rock with soul infusions, but she’s a screamer..have we not heard rock? Rock is all about screams and howls a lot of times.

• JM1 says:

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more, but that’s just me. Go listen to iTunes and you’ll see how beautiful and not-screamy her voice is.

47. Sherr says:

Oh Michael, you completely lost me tonight. Kimberly, as much as I like her, had an off night. Particularly didn’t like Dirty Diana, no matter how gritty she tried to get. Koryn, just as I was getting to like her, was really shrill on Everybody Hurts (I know my ears were hurting) and her out of control vibrato did her in on Dream On. Joshua wasn’t at his best on Desire, but that’s because again, too much band (horns? Really?), but he was subtle and lovely on In My Life. Meghan Linsey was full out great tonight. The only thing. I agree with you about is that Sawyer will undoubtedly win.

• Blynn says:

Yeah, I don’t get the hate for Josh, myself. I didn’t find fault with his vocals–I don’t know the song, so don’t have it to compare to. I thought the band was overly loud–not that Josh was too soft. That trumpet–I wanted to stick a mute in it.
      Josh has gone as far as he can, i believe. He’s got a huge following in Michigan and surrounding states among folk aficionados, and was well known in the Michigan music scene. He has cut 11 albums (if memory serves) and is a songwriter as well. He’s not going to be hurting if/when he gets eliminated.

48. Not a good week for Pharrell. No dancers around Sawyer ever again. And don’t let Koryn sing songs she can’t actually sing. That’s why you are a coach.

• Birdy says:

Yup, no dancers for Sawyer anymore! But he himself was great. The appeal of Sawyer is that he is honest and simple–and nobody should try to make him into something he isn’t. But that song showed some range for him (people were starting to think he couldn’t sing an uptempo song!). Agree about Koryn, too. I think she’s trying to do more than she’s capable of at this point in time, and it’s not working so well.

49. Katie Killjoy says:

Tonight was…pretty crap.
    The song choices suggested, on paper, greatness. Then they performed and there isn’t a single drop of bacardi left in my bottle.
    Josh needs to open up a daycare and thrive off his eternal naptime worthy performances.
    Koryn was just not in pocket at any point tonight, nope.
    India was good….that’s a change.
    Kimberly was just bland on that first song. The second song was a great performance with a drowned out+ eh vocal. Lots of screams, effective in the rock world, but watchers of The Voice consist of a lot of pretentious non-vocalists that want ‘singing’ but want different genres on the show too.
    Meghan, that woman was screaming too. All night, the entire night.

50. Carolyn Devonshire says:

Wish Joshua had not done “Desire.” Bad choice for a “folksinger.” Liked his rendition of “In My Life” very much. Sawyer is never a disappointment and excelled as usual May 4. Just hope both Joshua and Sawyer (a given really) will be in the top four. All the remaining singers are good, but Meghan was a pro and should not have been allowed in the competition as she had opened for Blake Shelton. Pharrell and Adam do more to support their team than the “look at me” Christina and rather boring Blake. Coaches make a difference. Joshua’s progression is evidence of that.

• Katie Killjoy says:

Can you explain exactly how much more supportive Pharrell and Adam are than Christina and Blake?
      I can understand Christina, sort of. In her defense, her contestants usually get the axe the fastest, but she keeps in contact with them according to her former alums
      Blake just keeps talking to all of them.
      Pharrell is on his second season and I have yet to hear of any Sugar Joans collabs that he guaranteed. He also is more of a pep talker than a coach.
      Adam is just awful, dunno what you’re talking about.