Syfy Orders The Magicians to Series

Syfy Magicians Series

Syfy has conjured a series order for The Magicians, an adaptation of Lev Grossman’s best-selling novels.

The Magicians stars Jason Ralph (A Most Violent Year, NBC’s Aquarius) as Quentin Coldwater, a brilliant grad student who enrolls in Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy , a secret upstate New York university specializing in magic. He and his friends soon discover that the magical fantasy world they read about as children is all too real – and poses grave danger to humanity.

Stella Maeve (Chicago P.D.), Hale Appleman (Smash), Arjun Gupta (Nurse Jackie) and Summer Bishil (Lucky 7) also star.

The pilot was penned by John McNamara (Aquarius) and Sera Gamble (Supernatural), who will serve as executive producers alongside Michael London and Janice Williams.

“The Magicians pilot beautifully delivers a world filled with wonder, fantasy and intrigue,” Syfy president Dave Howe said in a statement. “We can’t wait to delve deeper into the lives of Quentin and his college friends, as they struggle with the enormity of their burgeoning powers – and unleash them upon the world.”

“Ever since The Magicians was published I’ve wanted to see this story on screen,” Lev Grossman said. “I’m so thrilled that it’s finally happening, and I’m beyond thrilled that we found the right people to do it. Get ready; you’ve never seen anything like this.”

The 12-episode first season will begin shooting in Vancouver in July.

1. Wordsmith says:

Syfy is really stepping up their game lately, in terms of original programming. Seems like they are trying to move beyond their b-movie and wrestling period and actually air more legit sci-fi/fantasy.

2. ZacheryD says:

a secret upstate New York(Vancover) university

3. Dude says:

Ah, American Hogwarts

• nerdrage says:

Yeah like JK Rowling was so original and groundbreaking in envisioning a secret society based on magic…this is like the people who complained that the Lord of the Rings movies were an obvious ripoff of Star Wars.

• James says:

The Magicians is a more adult approach to magic than Harry Potter ever was. It sounds exactly the same but it is not. You should give it a try, the books are great.

• Lizo says:

Ah yes, those childish themes of murder, genocide, racism, classism and slavery….I wish Harry Potter had tackled adult themes. :/

• Wordsmith says:

Really, it sounds more like X-Men with wands, with the whole Upstate New York private school thing…

• Temperance says:

No, not even close. The books are… pretty strange. Not every accessible. I’ll bet the show is much better. Good ideas, but very standoffish writing.

4. nerdrage says:

Good news, SyFy is greenlighting decent shows again! 12 Monkeys, The Expanse, Childhood’s End and now this. They might get to the point where they’re worth watching again.

5. Annie says:

The books are INCREDIBLE, and I am really excited – although also nervous – about this series. Please, don’t screw it up, SyFy.

6. Morgan says:

SyFy has been on a good roll of late. Hopefully this turns out better than their adaptation of The Dresden Files.

• tp says:

I really like The Dresden Files. Either way I hope they give it a shot and don’t cancel it on a whim.

7. Dani says:

If they make Quentin miraculously likable, I may watch it. I read the first book and I didn’t like it as I thought I would.

• AnnieM says:

I agree with Dani – I’ve read the books, found them interesting, but I thought Quentin was a jerk.

• Temperance says:

I tried twice to make it through the first book (I received the first two as a gift), but I didn’t make it to the fantasy world part either time before I put it down and didn’t pick it back up. I’ll bet a TV series will be better.

8. Ray says:

Are these magicians in the vein of Houdini and David Blaine or straight up sorcerers a la Merlin and Harry Potter? Makes a big difference as to whether I’d consider watching or not.

9. Katie says:

So excited!

10. The Watcher says:

I’m down with the premise, but two things are working against it already.

1) It’s a Syfy Channel adaptation of a Book (Previous Experience has taught me they don’t do these very well)

2) Sera Gamble (Sorry to say, but her tenure as show-runner on Supernatural Post-Kripke was just bad.

That sad, I’m cautiously optimistic.

11. Kim says:

I couldn’t even finish this book, don’t see how TV could make it more interesting.