Castle Recap: Not Ready for Crimetime — Plus, Did Martha Move You?

Castle SNL Episode

Remember that time Castle‘s Rick and Kate were told to wait a few minutes for a piece of evidence, so that Carly Rae Jepsen could perform her new single in the middle of an episode…?

Whether you loved, liked or felt otherwise about this week’s episode, that moment had to feel conspicuous — though maybe it was intended to “mirror” the musical break in a typical Saturday Night Live outing? Plus, it did give us that bit of fancy footwork from Rick and Kate.

But me, I will endeavor to remember this episode for something entirely different, namely Martha’s most emotionally resonant B-story in a while. At first, it was played for comedy, as we discover that, in readying for her first Broadway bow in years, Martha repeats her first line over and over for days prior. (Though when it was noted that Martha was premature with this habit, I feared we were heading down an Alzheimer’s road.)

But later, when Martha mysteriously aborts her tradition, she reveals to Rick the real issue at hand: her fear of braving eight performances a week, on Broadway, in today’s everything-goes-viral age. Her fear that some smart-ass with an iPhone will Periscope her performance for the purpose of online derision.

Rick, though, isn’t about to let his mother bail on her “second act.” “You’re a fighter,” he reminds the veteran thesp. “You have earned this.” And if that bit of mother-son bonding didn’t mist up your eyes, the closing scene — in which Rick read the online reviews of her debut (a la “a revelation,” “masterful” and the always trusty “amazeballs”) and then toasted her second act — had to get you there. (If you weren’t distracted by the choice of song used to underscore that tag. I never notice music, that simply isn’t my thing, so… it was an unusual pick, with vocals and stuff, right?)

The Case of the Week was forgettable — something about a Lorne Michaels-type being killed because he discovered a colleague had embezzled — yet it perhaps will (and should!) be remembered for the “Model Cop” sketch-within-the show, based as it was on Beckett/Castle. It’s not easy to ruffle Kate’s feathers, lord knows, so to see her take umbrage to the “SNT” cast member who was mimicking her “gait,” hair-flips and such, getting her impractical heels stuck in a door while kicking it down…. Highly amusing. As was Kate’s fangirling a bit over Gregory Harrison’s character, whose Hot Suspect reruns, she claimed, planted a seed for her interest in crimesolving.

What did you think of this season’s penultimate episode — and the series’ 150th —  “Dead From New York”? Ready for the finale?

1. lw says:

Loved it! Good old time Caskett show!

2. Alex says:

That was a good one, feels good after the two last episodes we’ve had. And it was nice seeing Castle a little jealous, for once.

3. leigh says:

Fun episode. 😊 Looking forward to next week.

4. N says:

Great episode! I loved the puppet and Kate & Rick dancing!

5. c-mo says:

Terrance Paul Winter does such a fantastic job of writing episodes that are poignant yet funny and this one did not disappoint at all! The loft scene with Rick and Martha was fantastic not just because of the writing but because Susan Sullivan is such a great actress!!!

6. george says:

Gregory Harrison’s been on my radar ever since Logan’s Run! But my google-fu fails me – was his Falcon Crest run after Susan Sullivan left..?

• Heather says:

I think it was. Course I remember him more as Gonzo from Trapper John

• Nan says:

They fooled me. As soon as I saw GH I figured he was the killer because a big name in a supporting role generally signals that. My bad.

• I remember him from the mini-series Centennial. He was young and wonderful as Levi Zendt. It was on during the late 70s Roots era when ABC was the king of the mini-series. They also did Rich Man, Poor Man and The Winds of War. It was a great time in television.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hmm, it’s a close one — IMDb shows her on thru ’89, when he started….

7. Teri says:

Martha, Martha, we need her more. Yes, I misted up when Castle gave her the pep talk. The case was meh, but seeing Stana Katic act brilliantly throughout made my day. Happy 150 to Castle and many more.

8. bj says:

I loved the Martha subplot too. And I had the same fear when her timing was off. Her scenes with Rick are always good but these were definitely moving.

I agree that the case was forgettable, but I was enjoying the trimmings too much to notice. I loved the mimicking and laughed out loud when that high heel got stuck in the door. lol (Those shoes she wears are so impractical. )

I’d love to see more of this type of action.

9. Kristine says:

Wasn’t feeling it. Dancing to Ms. Jensen side stage was so cheesy too. Meh.

10. Jess says:

I really enjoyed this episode, after feeling less than enthusiastic about the last two. I’ve always been a sucker for the heartfelt Castle/Martha moments.

Still no word on Stana’s contract? :-/

• DarkDefender says:

About SK’s contract.. They have her for at least 13 Eps on the current contract (I think because season 1 was a mid-season replacement) and she has always been the one championing that married couples can solve crimes with pizzazz.. So I suspect her “art” is intact, since they have not yet really gotten into the crime solving spouse storytelling groove. I hope the lack of confirmation is because she was busy planning her RL wedding and started a movie shoot the moment Castle wrapped. Also, IMHO – ABC would not have went to the trouble to re-sign NF if they were not renewing for a season 8.

• Just one thing says:

This is the first I’m reading of any definitive handle on SK’s contract. If that were the case, wouldn’t outlets like TVLINE have stated that a while back?
        Also, I thought contracts went by what’s generally recognized as a season, regardless of how long the first one is…?

• KCC says:

No definitive statement’s in DD’s comment. Just “I think” and “I hope” along with an “IMHO.” Until we get a definitive statement from either ABC or Stana Katic (or her reps) anything you read is speculation. Especially in a comments section on the internet.

• DarkDefender says:

Exactly. This is just my thoughts on it all from my understanding of things. Not definitive as I do not know SK or those in power.

• Just one thing says:

Not to nitpick, but…
            “They have her for at least 13 Eps on the current contract…”
            No “I think” or “I hope” until…
            ” (I think because season 1 was a mid-season replacement)…”
            … which references the WHY of the previous statement.
            Hence, my confusion.

• DarkDefender says:

JOT, I… like most of the posters here, like to guess about stuff. No surprise, there.
            My apologies for your nit picky confusion. If someone had “definitive” knowledge of the situation, pretty sure it wouldn’t be in the form of a speculative post by someone in a comment section, but would rather come in the form of an actual TVLine article on the matter.
            But you already knew that.

• Just one thing says:

Yes, the snark is absolutely necessary.

• Tom says:

TV Guide said they are now having a cliff hanger this year in case they are not coming back

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TVLine’s own finale preview covers the cliffhanger details quite well, thank you.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nope; Season 1 counts as one season of the seven-season contract. Actors aren’t contracted for a number of episodes but a number of seasons — and sometimes those seasons are short, sometimes they are long.

• DarkDefender says:

Fair enough. I thought I read somewhere that ABC had an option for 13 more episodes under the current contract. I thought maybe it was related to the first season starting as a mid-season replacement series.
          Thanks for the clarification, Matt. Mucho appreciated.

• S. says:

As far as I know, they would definitely work to re-sign actors only to not renew because that does happen, however Castle would otherwise be an obvious renewal but for the contract situation. I’m just saying don’t conclude that making the effort to negotiate equals renewal plans for sure. ABC wanted to at least have the option to bring it back or not and NF was the most critical piece. Now obviously we fans are gonna include Stana in that (and the others, she and NF aren’t the only ones re-signing), but their priority was getting the titular character. Really have no idea what they’d do sans Beckett. We’ve nearly lost her before. Nothing’s set up for offing her now or having anything believable to write her out. If she goes and doesn’t come back for a goodbye, you’d have to do something like time jump to Rick mourning her death and working with the guys to solve her murder or something. You’d think Stana’d give them a heads up if she felt like not renewing for sure. Time to write it in or something.

• pat says:

I hope you are right without her there is no Castle they are great together and what would he do without the love of his life.

11. Betisa says:

Great episode, TPW is the best writer of Castle by far. Sadly the audience lost the excitment for this show after 7×02. They miss something good tonight.

12. Mr. Tran K says:

Kudos to guest stars Jaleel White & Carly Rae Jepsen. Both were great in the episode. Can’t wait until next week’s season finale to find out on what would the future holds for Beckett even though Stana Katic’s contract is still on hold and also a guest starring role for Lance Reddick who was so great on one of my favorite TV dramas The Wire (HBO).

13. Claire says:

I quite liked it. The case was just so-so, but let’s be honest, who watches for the cases anyway? I loved the humour and the vulnerable moments with Martha and Castle. Stana and Nathan were both excellent. It’s so good to see them working together like this. Classic Castle. The only thing I didn’t appreciate was the Tori replacement. We didn’t need that.

• JeffDJ says:

Yeah, what was with the Tori stand-in? I guess the actress was busy on SHIELD that week, but couldn’t a member of our team have handled that computing task?It didn’t seem overly complex.

• DarkDefender says:

It really was only one scene, but if they weren’t going with Tori they should have had Esposito look it up (he did it in the early days) or get someone completely different. The actress they had seems like Tori-lite. She kinda looked like her and spoke like her.. It was creepy.

14. JBKD says:

Too many laugh out loud moments to count. Loved the “model cop down” but. And that girl mimicking Beckett’s “bizarre gait” and Kate’s reaction…one for the highlight reel. Stana Katic’s expressions were priceless! She’s got a flair for the comedic – more than I’ve previously thought

But hands down, the key scene stealer was Susan Sullivan. Just makes me wish for more scenes with her. She’s always been a favorite on the show. Kudos to her work in this episode. Funny, touching, heartbreaking, triumphant in the end.

We need more great writing like tonight’s episode and less of the drivel like we saw in the past 2 episodes. Just fantastic. Bravo TPW. Bravo!

• Badpenny says:

We had a whole Nikki Heat episode where Laura Prepon mimiced Beckett. I really did not need to see it again – or what her use the same basic line “Do I really do that?” Completely unoriginal.

• Just one thing says:

I really don’t understand why they rehashed something that was so funny SO long ago. Very strange, and comes off as a bad collective memory versus a funny callback.

15. Badpenny says:

Has Castle fallen so far that they need to put a music video in the middle of the episode to try and attract younger viewers? Is Carly Rae Jepsen signed to a Disney-owned record label and they needed to promote her?
    I am truly glad this Season only has 1 more episode in it. Amann has done a terrible job with Castle this year.

16. skrable2 says:

Can we get Susan Sullivan some love in the Performer of the Week selection process?

17. James D says:

enjoyed it. could of done with out the carly rae bit but other than that i chuckled on more than a few occasions.

18. Matthew Weber says:

It was a pretty good episode. Lots of good lines, a little Jealous!Castle, lots of Caskett, and that moment between Castle and Martha was amazeballs.

Looking forward to next week. Really hope this isn’t the real end of the Castle story.

19. luli says:

Loved the episode. Martha was the highlight for me… Susan always does a great job! Loved Caskett as always and I actually enjoyed de Carly Rae Jepsen bit. I’ve had that song stucked for days! Lol

20. Loved it, Loved it very funny

21. lauri5567 says:

Should I assume that Kate drinking champagne at the end of the episode will put to rest speculation that she was thinking about her pregnancy at the end of last week?
    Subplot with Martha – ugh. My least favorite character – wasn’t she supposed to be moving out of the loft?

• skrable2 says:

Don’t wory: If they want Beckett to be pregnant at the end of next week’s episode, she will be. That champagne will be forgotten as quickly as her father terrorizing her date for the prom that she later said she never went to

• pat says:

We don’t know that she really took a sip she could be pretending

22. DarkDefender says:

As far as Castle episodes go, this was pretty balanced. I agree with Matt, the COTW wasn’t much, but just seeing Caskett drop a “I know who the killer is” in unison.. Made up for it. The gems were the little easier eggs, the sketch, Martha’s reviews and her smile of pride when Rick was giving her the pep talk in the apt. One noticeable evolution of the characters was Castle and Beckett’s comfort ability with each other. Since the marriage there is a kind of secure under current between them.
    I must say I was watching intently to see if Kate passed on actually drinking the champagne and was happy she drank it (no little Castle babies cooking yet).

23. I think it was a little rough timing with the African-American cast member being the first suspect, considering what’s gone wrong with Tracy Morgan lately (which I believe kept him off the Anniversary special).

Also, the sketch-cop might have been funnier in the first or second season, when the actual show itself hadn’t been on long enough for the real “SNL” to be cooking-up actual “Castle” spoofs. Same goes for the actress playing Beckett, which just reminded me to break out my DVD & watch Laura Prepon “do” her for a whole episode (followed immediately by memories of Nathan doing a take-off on his own sci-fi history & Beckett discussing her own costume ownership, in the ComicCon takeoff episode).

24. Harvey says:

Awesome episode! But I don’t get one thing, when Castle scene was with the santa claus girls, it was a bad thing, Kate does the same thing, actually second time this much, considering an almost kiss with Eric, it’s alright?

• Pasto says:

Maybe because Castle never seems to be interested in Beckett like he is with every other women …
      But honestly I wasn’t bothered by this scene with these girls, things like the kiss with Gates, with the geisha, letting Cottera straddling him or the almost kiss with Vaughn for Beckett on the other hand are very annoying and not alright.
      I actually thought it was nice to see Castle being a little possessive with Beckett, they always make him so passive and indifferent … It was a change for once.

• Harvey says:

Well yeah, they have reduced their interactions in the last 2 seasons at least, like they ain’t interested in each other that much. Only, Beckett could have pushed away Eric, while Castle couldn’t really have pushed away the reporter or Geisha as they are women, and he tried to dodge as much as he can, except Beckett didn’t move until Eric had kissed her. Geisha and Santa girls were too overdone, and so was this really, annoying all of them.

• Pasto says:

Castle could have just been firm with these women to stop them, he really wasn’t…
          Anyway I’m with you on that, it had been done way too much since they are together, especially since they’re written with so little passion between them. But it’s like the interrupted kisses, it won’t change until the end of the show so …

• pat says:

I liked that part too he needs to be more jealous and how come they never refer to her as Mrs castle once in a while?

25. Jennifer says:

I loved all the scenes with Becket, Castle and Martha but specially Rick talking to his Mom. He can tell how much they love one another. They both have been through so much together as a Mother and Son. He supports her in everything she wants to do, even the crazy stuff because he knows Kate supports his crazy ideas and plans. I loved the part where Kate turns to Rick and asked “Do I really do that?” then Rick says “what answer won’t have me sleeping on the couch tonight?” Beckett just gives him a look and walks away. Even without really giving an answer he answered her question. I’m really hoping that we find out either today or this week if Stana Katic is coming back for season 8 if there is a Season 8. They can’t have Castle with their Queen and that Queen is the 1 and only Stana Katic playing Kate Beckett. At least for this fan. Team Beckett!!

26. patissier says:

Acheter un robot patissier n’est pas une demarche a effectuer avec precipitation.

27. Maria says:

I think I would have enjoyed the episode a lot more if it weren’t so dark on the set. Did someone forget to pay the electric bill over there?

28. Lena says:

I wish Castle would smile at Beckett sometimes, would be more dynamic like he used to, looking less bored when they are talking. Seeing Beckett smiling all the time and Castle just being -_- is kind of annoying.

29. Jason says:

The toast at the end of the episode was clearly a nod to… Castle’s 150th episode… which was last night’s.

30. JImN says:

Blah. The definition of derivative. Little nodes to things that worked very well in past episodes just showed how well things were then than in this episode. Susan Sullivan far and away the best.

31. Luis says:

I almost forgive “Castle” writers for their criminal under-use of Susan Sullivan and Molly Quinn after the past two weeks. Last night’s episode was a heatstring-tugger and showed off the wonderful chemistry between Nathan Fillion and Susan. Also fun to see Beckett getting all flustered by the attention paid her by Gregory Harrison’s character, a reminder of what a hunk he was considered in his “Trapper John, M.D.” days

32. bill says:

Why did they waste our time by showing that lip-synching singer with the bad haircut? Is she related to one of the producers of Castle? The song was annoying and had nothing to do with the case. That whole scene was odd and totally useless.

33. loislane8@hotmail.com says:

Much better than the last couple of weeks (which both needed far more Beckett). I was delighted to have more Martha and a break from Alexis, and at least Castle appeared slightly jealous this week after months of seeming completely uninterested in his wife (who frankly is now way out of his league). I did feel I’d seen the main plot before (the Tom Bergeron episode for starters), and of course the Laura Prepon mimicking of Beckett was much more thorough, but the repeat was okay in the context: I assume it was meant as a nod to the previous episode in the same way they’ve been repeating odd comments over the last couple of years (‘You still remind me a little of Hooch’, etc). I held my breath when the song started – with no disrespect to Ms Jepsen it did seem shoe-horned in – but at least they didn’t halt the show for the entire duration!

Hoping for a good finale next week and fingers crossed for season 8. With NF renewing his contract comparatively early it hopefully means he’s more interested than he sometimes looks (perhaps he’s just not liked some of the scripts) and with someone taking a proper overview of the plot lines I still think this show has a lot of potential to be great.

34. arial2 says:

At first, I was sure the “fangirl” thing was a ploy because SK played it so unrealistically. And we all know she joined the police because of her mother’s murder, not because of some tv show. Stick to your mythology, Castle. I love watching Susan Sullivan as Martha. Her comedic timing is always great, and, occasionally (like last night), she gets to show her dramatic abilities. I think Martha balances the episode anytime the show seems to veer off into downright silliness. She may be my favorite character.

35. lame says:

This was one of the good episodes, in a season of quite a few misses. Even the big reveal of 7.20 landed with a resounding thud. In retrospect that entire Castle abduction and the way it was developed,was one of the biggest misses ever. While enjoying 7.22 immensely, I look with trepidation to the season finale, fearing another convoluted mess, but hoping one of those few EPs.

36. Based on that promo for the finale, is it safe to assume that Stana will only be back part time next season? Man, this show is The X-Files all over again (shipwise, that is).

37. Jill says:

Loved the Martha B story and model cop, but there were a lot of clunker line in this one. Ryan saying “And he was wearing a mask and has a gun!” We just saw that, strong grasp of the obvious Ryan. Also the musical interlude was just odd. I hate when ABC/Disney does these promo things. It reminded me of how Nashville keeps bringing on these random celebs that do not belong in a primetime drama (I’m looking at you Xtina!).

38. lame says:

P.S
    Love the return to the season 3 hair style

39. shirley says:

this is off course but I just hope ABC is not playing around with us Castle fans.
    The waiting is killing me.

Thanks

40. joepetitjean80 says:

Loved it Martha killed it love the actress

41. M. Johnson says:

Love this show and am praying for season 8. Enjoyed the Martha and son moment, very nice. Got a kick out of the short dance with Caskett although Beckett looked somewhat stiff, but Castle pulled it out nicely. All in all lots of funny moments.