Orphan Black Recap: Mother, May I?

Orphan Black Bonnie Shoots Mark

Man, they keep dropping like flies on Orphan Black this season.

Just one week after Rudy put Seth out of his misery, another Castor clone possibly bit the dust in this Saturday’s episode. Meanwhile, Cosima made a big discovery from Seth’s brains and Art confessed his love for one of the female seestras! Oh, and more than one mother proved herself to be a powerful force.

THE HUNT FOR MARK | After Art walks in on her and Felix trying to clean up the mess left by Seth’s dead body, the cop and Sarah team up to find Mark. They track down the midwife from the Prolethean compound, who reveals that Helena and Gracie are pregnant with Henrik’s babies. Along the way, Art divulges that he was in love with Beth and that he feels a need to protect Sarah because she is just as fierce as Beth. But Sarah points out that he’s no use to them if he gets suspended from his job, so Sarah continues in their mission on her own.

Meanwhile, Gracie wants to know why her hubby Mark won’t come to bed with her, especially now that it’s not a sin. (Maybe because the age difference looks creepy?) Eventually, he does succumb, after much button opening – man those Proletheans sure do wear a lot of buttoned-up clothes — but the afterglow is short-lived. Mark confesses he never left the army and he was assigned to recover valuable scientific material that Henrik stole. Gracie has an idea of who might be hiding it for her father and goes to retrieve it herself. However, the locked box is full of junk and Mark is forced to take matters into his own torturing hands.

Gracie gets another ugly wake-up call when she runs into Sarah at a diner and finds out she married one of the abominations. At that opportune moment, her mother Bonnie tracks down an emotional Gracie at the hotel. “He took advantage of you. And your stupidity,” she says with hug. Gee, so comforting.

Back at Henrik’s pal’s home, Mark has tortured the guy into a lethal heart attack when Sarah appears and drops a bombshell on him. Thanks to Cosima’s scientific efforts, they now know the Castor and Leda clones are brothers and sisters. Mark refuses to believe they’re family, and as he’s running away, he gets shot in the leg by Bonnie. “I love her,” he pleads, to which Bonnie replies, “Not like her mother,” before delivering another (fatal?) bullet.

Orphan Black Bonnie Shoots MarkHOME BASE AWKWARDNESS | Things do not appear too copacetic at the Castor base, with an aura of tension surrounding Major Paul’s interactions with both Mother and Rudy. While her job is to cure the clones of their neurological defect, Paul’s is to protect them. But now there’s a weapons glitch, which means the program is one budget review from oblivion. To top it off, there’s a seriously weird vibe between Mother and Rudy, who clutches at her like a child and sucks his thumb. When he tells her that he wants to go back into the field, Mother promises to take care of Major. As for Helena, she doesn’t get tortured this week. (Yay!) Instead, she gets some stabs in at Rudy (“You are the ugliest Mark yet”) and Paul’s proclivity for getting into bed with her seestras. For his part, Paul declares, “I am sorry it has come to this.”

ALISON: PHARMACEUTICAL ENTREPRENEUR | Alison’s campaign for school trustee gets off to an expectedly amusing start – “I will speak to your children so you don’t have to!” – and her and Donnie’s new “soaps” business proves key. The customers/voters are flooding in even with the upped prices. (Clearly, the discount-for-referral program is working.) When Alison’s oblivious competitor challenges her, she replies, “Go sell a house, Marcie,” except that’s totally not what she’s saying at all.

BACK TO THE BOTTOM | We finally get an update on Dyad’s former top clone: Rachel’s having trouble with her motor skills, although she is making progress. (She recognizes the Project Castor symbol as “horses.”) Meanwhile, Delphine has covered up what happened to Rachel with a story about a plane crash. Delphine is really not to be messed with this season.

Orphan Black fans, what did you think of the episode? Do you think Mark is dead?

1. Joey says:

Honestly I was kind of expecting Sarah to knock out Bonnie and save Mark, but I dunno, still getting the feeling he’s still alive.

• Andrew says:

@ Joey – I was thinking the same thing (about Sarah). I don’t think he’s dead, either. If all of the Castor clones are basically soldiers, I would think any one of them could handle a Prolethean psycho with a shot gun. Maybe he lunged up toward her and shot her at the last second?

Now that we know the originals were siblings—which I thought was an interesting development—why introduce these male clones only to kill them off this quickly? Somehow, I think Mark will live.

• Joey says:

Well he didn’t shoot Bonnie at last second because next week’s promo showed her walking out of the cornfield. Will still be interesting to see what happens.

2. Ian says:

I feel… Im not really feeling the Castor clones and their addition to the show. There’s just too much of them. Of course we werent going to love them, but I dont even find them interesting. Im fine with them being killed off. The faster we get to Sarah finding this desert base camp and busting Helena out so we can get back to the sisters finding more answers together as a team, the better.

• Joey says:

The only thing I dislike really about the Castor storyline is Paul’s extended presence in it. Dylan Bruce is such a bore as an actor, unfortunately, and everyone else just acts circles around him. As far as I’m concerned, they could add 20 more Castor clones and dump Paul, and I’d be ecstatic.

• Ian says:

I think they just havent found a good enough use for Dylan. He had charisma for sure, IMO.

• Erica says:

No way; I love Paul and his intrigue! I find his character fascinating & I like Dylan Bruce’s restrained performance that totally fits his part-military tough guy repressing emotions. He’s great!

• jerrired says:

I agee. My problem with the male clones is that they’re not that different. It just feels like the same one each time, and none of them have any remotely interesting traits. However, Mark is the only one showing a bit of character. And I’m getting more invested in him. I think now that the siblings reveal happened, it might be the opportunity to make them more sympathetic and interesting, especially Mark. I actually thought he died tonight but now I’m rethinking it.

• Jeff says:

Of course. The Leda clones were all raised separately and allowed to develop their own personalities. The Castor clones were all raised and trained by the government. There will be much more similarities than differences with them, especially in that type of rigid environment.

• Luli says:

I’m fine with the Castor clones dying as long as they don’t start killing Leda clones…

3. Terri says:

Wait, does the Castor tattoo picture mean Rachel knew about Castor pre-aphasia? Did Dr. Nealon? Why is he showing her that picture? He’s up to something.

4. abz says:

I hope Mark is still alive. Why are the killing off all the male clones so fast? What’s the point? Things were just getting a bit interesting with the whole brother thing. And seriously I too am surprised Sarah did nothing. I was expecting her to wack that woman over the head. I’m liking the Castor clones and the actor seems much better this season (I didn’t care for him or the Prolethian storyline much last season), however, they should really work on more interactions with the female clones (Allison, Cosima, Sarah). They’re all separated this season and I’m kind of missing them together. And they should give more to Felix to do. Lastly, I hope we see some Felix/Allison interaction. I mean with her drug business and her campaign, there’s a lot of comedy that could come from it.

5. Luli says:

I need more Clone club interactions! I do think the show is at its strongest when we have scenes with Allison, Cosima and Sarah together! Vlada, please tell me we are getting more scenes between them!? They haven’t been in the same room in a while…
    —-
    Also I love when a clone pretends to be another clone, Tatiana does an amazing job every single time! I’ll accept more of that too.

• bos4ny3 says:

This is EXACTLY the problem for me this season. Everyone is off doing their own things. Alison, for example, is not even involved in the Castor plotline. Even Skype time between Cosima and Sarah is minimal. There’s just no interaction between the sisters.

6. Erica says:

I like the Castor clones & the reveal that they are biological siblings. Paul’s investment in them is interesting to me, too. Alison & Donnie are hilarious. Love this show!

7. At first I thought the male clones twist was a good one, but now they seem to be all over the place with plot threads. Everything is too scattered. Do we have to wait until the season finale to make heads or tails of what is going on? And why introduce all these male clones, only to kill them off before we get a chance to know them? I thought the season started off well, but now I feel like it’s foundering on a lack of cohesiveness.