ABC Family's Shadowhunters Series Casts Simon and Isabelle

Shadowhunters Cast Simon Isabelle

Two more key cast members from ABC Family’s adaptation of the Mortal Instruments books have finally stepped out of the shadows.

The network on Friday announced the casting of Alberto Rosende (Blue Bloods) as Simon, the handsome best friend of yet-to-be-cast protagonist Clary Fray, and Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood, a lethal Shadowhunter with a weakness for bad boys.

Based on the novels by Cassandra Clare, Shadowhunters follows a young girl named Clary who discovers on her 18th birthday that she’s a Shadowhunter — a human-angel hybrid born to hunt demons. Following her mother’s kidnapping, Clary teams up with a fellow Shadowhunter named Jace (Dominic Sherwood) and her best friend Simon (Rosende) to fulfill her destiny.

Your thoughts on Rosende and Toubia’s casting? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Dana says:

first you have a mistake in the article according to the book Clary discovered she is a shadowhunter on her 16th birthay and honestly I can’t imagine a better Simon than Robert Sheehan, this is so disappointing

• Florcita says:

In the tv series, Clary will be 18. They are going to be older.

• Celyn says:

They are aging up the characters, similarly as in what they did in the movie. It’s not a mistake in the article because in the show they will be 18. Notice the key word of BASED upon the novels by Cassandra Clare.

• Temperance says:

Yup – and being 18 takes you out of any gray areas in the romance and free determination areas.

2. Florcita says:

Can’t wait! So far I think they’re doing a good job with the casting :)

3. a fan says:

I LOVED Robert Sheehan as Simon (one of the only good things about the movie) so have to wait and see how Alberto measures up!

4. Melosm says:

I am so happy the books are going to have a second life. The movie was just okay. I think a TV series will be a perfect fit. Plenty of material!!

5. Sarah says:

Can’t wait for the tv series but I can’t really say most about this actors because I didn’t found much about them…so only in the premiere I can judge there abilities.
    Simon casting doesn’t seem to be right one in my opinion but will see.

6. Liz says:

hmmm, Simon is Jewish, and Alberto doesn’t look at all Jewish. I agree Robert Sheehan was great in the movie. I’ll wait until I see footage, but I’m not sold. Clary’s casting is going to be the biggest question. I still imagine the actress that plays Alexis on Castle, would be awesome if she could play double duty.

• Dee says:

Actors of fully Jewish background: Logan Lerman, Natalie Portman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mila Kunis, Bar Refaeli, James Wolk, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Julian Morris, Adam Brody, Esti Ginzburg, Kat Dennings, Gabriel Macht, Erin Heatherton, Odeya Rush, Anton Yelchin, Paul Rudd, Scott Mechlowicz, Lisa Kudrow, Lizzy Caplan, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Gal Gadot, Debra Messing, Robert Kazinsky, Melanie Laurent, Shiri Appleby, Justin Bartha, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Margarita Levieva, Elizabeth Berkley, Halston Sage, Seth Gabel, Corey Stoll, Mia Kirshner, Alden Ehrenreich, Eric Balfour, Jason Isaacs, Jon Bernthal, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy.

Andrew Garfield and Aaron Taylor-Johnson are Jewish, too (though I don’t know if both of their parents are).

Actors with Jewish mothers and non-Jewish fathers: Jake Gyllenhaal, Dave Franco, James Franco, Scarlett Johansson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Radcliffe, Alison Brie, Eva Green, Joaquin Phoenix, River Phoenix, Emmy Rossum, Rashida Jones, Jennifer Connelly, Sofia Black D’Elia, Nora Arnezeder, Goldie Hawn, Ginnifer Goodwin, Amanda Peet, Eric Dane, Jeremy Jordan, Joel Kinnaman, Ben Barnes, Patricia Arquette, Kyra Sedgwick, Dave Annable, Ryan Potter.

Actors with Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers, who themselves were either raised as Jews and/or identify as Jews: Ezra Miller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Alexa Davalos, Nat Wolff, Nicola Peltz, James Maslow, Josh Bowman, Winona Ryder, Michael Douglas, Ben Foster, Jamie Lee Curtis, Nikki Reed, Zac Efron, Jonathan Keltz, Paul Newman.

Oh, and Ansel Elgort’s father is Jewish, though I don’t know how Ansel was raised. Robert Downey, Jr. and Sean Penn were also born to Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers. Armie Hammer and Chris Pine are part Jewish.

Actors with one Jewish-born parent and one parent who converted to Judaism: Dianna Agron, Sara Paxton (whose father converted, not her mother), Alicia Silverstone, Jamie-Lynn Sigler.

7. Typhoonred says:

Molly Quinn as Clary. Enough said.

8. Madi says:

NO. This person who they say is playing Simon is NOT SIMON OK

• Celyn says:

What do you mean? This is the actor that they’ve chosen to play Simon in the TV adaptation. I know he’s not Robert Sheehan (who was fantastic) but I have a feeling the producers/TPTB are trying to distance themselves from the movie. So for all intents and purposes he is Simon.

9. Shari says:

I get that they want the characters to be slightly older in the tv show, but in City of Glass, Clary and Isabelle couldn’t fight in the battle against Valentine because they were underage. So if they’re older in the show, does that mean they are gonna fight in such battles???

10. A says:

I don’t think any of the two–Jemima West or Emeraude Toubia will do Isabelle justice. Maybe Emeraude’ll do it better than Jemima. I don’t know. Those two look so innocent compared to the daredevil that is Isabelle Lightwood.