Post Mortems

The Originals' Colin Woodell Shares Aiden's Parting Message to Josh

The Originals Aiden Dies

It’s been a few days, but the sting of Monday’s Originals remains strong — especially for those fans of the Jaiden variety.

But even though “Aiden” is no longer with us, Colin Woodell remains very much among the living, and he recently stopped by TVLine’s New York City headquarters to discuss his time in the Big Easy. Scroll down for Woodell’s thoughts on Aiden’s life, death and what he wishes he could say to Josh from beyond the grave.

TVLINE | Given the nature of the show, were you always a little unsure of your future?
Oh, yes. When I signed on to do this show … I wouldn’t say I signed a death certificate, per se, but I would have been shocked if they told me Aiden was going to live for a long period of time. I sat down with Michael Narducci, and seven episodes prior to Aiden’s death, he had an inkling that something was going to happen to Josh or Aiden. They’re lovable characters, but they’re also such easy tipping points to forward the story for the main characters.

TVLINE | Was a part of you crossing your fingers that it’d be Josh?
[Laughs] A little bit, but Steven [Krueger] has such a long history with this show. And, frankly, I don’t even know how one character can exist without the other; they grew so close this season. So I’m interested to see what happens with Josh.

TVLINE | How much did they tell you when you first got the part. Did you even know you’d be Josh’s love interest?
Josh’s love interest was all that I knew, that the character was going to be gay. He was a tough werewolf who was lieutenant-like. But the cool thing about this show is that the creators like to listen to the audience’s response. I think Aiden’s relationship with Josh, more than anything, is what made him lovable.

jaidenTVLINE | Speaking of the audience’s response, what kind of feedback did you get on Twitter?
Almost all good, and I think that’s rare. [Editor’s note: It’s very rare.] I’m relatively new to the world of Twitter, and I’m not the best at keeping up with it, but it’s amazing to see how much people love the show and love the Jaiden ‘ship. That blew me away.

TVLINE | I also might be overlooking someone, but I think you were TV’s first gay werewolf. [Editor’s note: I did overlook someone.]
I think I was! I’m pretty sure. … This was a forbidden romance, not because it was between two men, but because it was between two people from two different sects. That’s what we wanted to focus on.

TVLINE | Have you ever been killed on a show before? That must have been kind of exciting.
I got stabbed on Devious Maids, but I’ve never been killed before. [Aiden’s death scene] was brutal. It lasted for about three hours, and I loved it, because it felt very theatrical. There were no limitations about what I could do.

TVLINE | Having to lay on that table was, I imagine, less fun.
That was the worst. I actually had food poisoning that day, which was awful. Long story short, it was starting to kick in as I was laying there, and I had the funny idea — in the midst of all this — to pop up and gasp. So I did it, and it made everyone laugh, but at the end of the day, they didn’t put it into the final cut. … It was tough lying there. I had filmed everything, so that was the final hurrah, and being sick didn’t make it any easier. But it was weirdly cool to hear all these characters being distraught about my body.

TVLINE | You just shot an ABC pilot, Kingmakers, with two Vampire Diaries actors, Michael Trevino and Kendrick Sampson. Please tell me you traded war stories.
Michael Trevino’s transformation in Season 1 of The Vampire Diaries totally set the tone for what a werewolf transformation would be in this world. So I really studied that, just in case I’d have to do the brutal transformation, and I had a long talk with him about that. I thanked him for doing an incredible job with that, and for leading the way for the wolves.

And since Aiden never got to say goodbye to Josh, we figured we’d ask Woodell to send a message to him (in character, naturally). Hit PLAY on that message below, then drop a comment with your thoughts: Are you still not over Aiden’s death?

1. Nope, either Aiden or Charlie, whichever one was gay, on Teen Wolf.

2. John Davis says:

I’m so sad with the last episode. It was really sad see Aiden’s death. They were so cute together…

3. Fx says:

It’s funny because Josh and Davina have more chemistry than Josh and Aiden ever did. If they wanted to give Josh a boyfriend, it should’ve been someone as quirky. Their relationship always seemed forced and awkward to me.

• ChrisGa says:

I agree, I didn’t see the chemistry between the two. That said, hate to see Aiden go; the character and Colin Woodell (who is SO hot and sexy)are wildly appealing to me, much more so than Josh and his portrayer.

• Isobel says:

Agree I would have killed off Josh

• zed says:

Me too. I would have killed Josh. It would stir Davina to become a nasty witch. She needs spacing up. Aiden was an interesting character.

• zed says:

Correctiin lol-Davina needs spicing up

• Jose R says:

true… Josh being Killed, would’ve been an easier YES to her becoming the next leader of the covens. She would be working on two bodies to revive… well, in the sense that nothing would’ve happened to Josh’s body…

4. Maxine says:

I loved the Josh and Aiden relationship. I’m still not over how Aiden was killed off. They were such a beautiful couple. It was so sad how Jaidan’s relationship came to an end. I’ve lost interest in the show now and plan to stop watching after this season.

Funny how we see things differently…I thought Colin and Steven had really good chemistry which only got better as their storyline progressed. The last two episodes I thought their chemistry was off the charts.

Good Luck to Colin Woodell on his new show.

5. lovergirl says:

Am I over Aiden’s death? Wow. I will never get over it. The day he died was the worst day of my life. I am leaving the originals now but will keep checking on how josh is doing. Words can’t describe what his death did to me. I cried through sleepless nights and … whatever. Jaiden, I love you… always and forever.

6. Dave says:

Didn’t know he was dead until I saw the TVLine headline. Thanks for the unwanted spoiler.

• J.B. says:

The episode aired on Monday. Today is Thursday. That is fair game in Internet time. Why people hop on these kind of sites if they are days behind on watching an episode is the epitome of stupid. There were I think 2 other articles before this one that didn’t spoil the death. You should have known better.

7. Maxine says:

I’m still so upset.

From all the negative responses the show is getting over the killing of Aiden it is clear the Josh and Aiden story was very much loved. These characters may have been secondary, but they have quite a large following.

I don’t even think the writers realize that by nonchalantly killing off characters, even if they are secondary, has resulted in lost viewership. They may think they are getting buzz around the show with their slash and burn method, but it creates nothing but backlash, and killing Aiden has been the worst. His death was completely unnecessary, and to me done out of cruelty with the middle finger given to the fans of this storyline.

Josh and Aiden could easily have been written off the Originals with them leaving together without affecting the rest of the story lines too much. It just sickens me how Aiden, one of the nicest characters on the show, was killed in such a horrible manner. Now the lovely Josh with his broken heart is destroyed.

• Tranea Jean says:

Yes killing Aiden was the stupidest thing you could have done. You guys who did that made me not want to watch the show. I still will but that decision was very, very stupid. I will never ever be over aidens death.😒 I loved him and Josh together and I was devastated when he died.😟 I really, really hope he comes back. I loved him so much😘, please bring him back for all the Jaiden fans, please.😥

8. what beautiful message to josh
    and sad at the same time; /

9. Javlyn says:

My niece Delylah is having a hard time coming to terms with Aiden’s sudden death on the show but she has been asking (I will ask for her,) will he return in cameos??

10. Skye says:

Nooooooo

11. Aaron Rodger says:

No charlie(Ethan) from Teen Wolf is the first gay werewolf charactor but yet wt was there b/w Josh and Aiden was special,and Aiden was heartbreaking,,,,,,,,,,,,,

12. Roro says:

I hate when they said that one of them will die , I wish he came back from the death and they stay with each other and fight togather.

13. geena says:

i saw Aiden and Josh stare at each other and i felt the magic. It was amazing and crazy how they got together ….the whole sneaking around was fun. I cried and turned the tv off when Aiden died and im still not over it. Part of me still hopes he does a come back

• Tranea Jean says:

I cried and didn’t want to turn my tablet vs k on but I ha e to know if he comes back. I wish nothing more than. For Aiden to come back. #Jaiden😘💖💞

14. Juu Ramos says:

I really loved jaiden its so sad that i know that i will continue watching the show without their love, without Aiden T.T I loved their parts,…i wished that Davina could also bring him to life again T.T

15. charity says:

jaiden is dahm cute with Josh…just want back to the show…it’s going to be boring without…plz bring him back…the two we’re super hottie….