What to Watch Tonight

Roots Begins, SYTYCD, Mistresses and Scream Return and More

On TV this Memorial Day: The harrowing tale of Kunta Kinte gets a fresh take, Matt LeBlanc makes his Top Gear debut and Sirs McKellen and Hopkins tackle The Dresser. Here are 10 programs to keep on your radar:

• NBC
    Stanley Cup FInals

Game 1: The San Jose Sharks take to the ice opposite the Pittsburgh Penguins.

• ABC
    The Bachelorette

Time slot premiere: Corporate synergy alert! Six bachelors accompany JoJo for a “dream date” to ESPN’s SportsNation.

• Fox
    So You Think You Can Dance

Season 13 premiere: Because American Juniors worked out so well, this season of SYTYCD will pair dancers aged 8 to 13 with all-star alumni. (Should Fox have pulled the plug instead?)

• History, A&E and Lifetime
    Roots

Miniseries premiere: Newcomer Malachi Kirby stars as Kunta Kinte in this remake of the iconic 1977 mini; Forest Whitaker, Anna Paquin, Laurence Fishburne, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Anika Noni Rose, Matthew Goode, Erica Tazel, Chad L. Coleman, Derek Luke, Mekhi Phifer, James Purefoy and — whew! — T.I. co-star. (Watch trailer.)

• Starz
    The Dresser

Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Anthony Hopkins star in this TV-movie based on Ronald Harwood’s World War II-era play about a troupe of actors staging a King Lear production. (Watch trailer.)

• BBC America
    Top Gear

Season 23 premiere: Jesse Eisenberg (Batman v Superman) and Gordon Ramsay stop by as Matt LeBlanc traverses the Moroccan desert in an Ariel Nomad. (Watch trailer.)

• TBS
    The Detour

Season 1 finale (two episodes): The Parkers arrive in Ft. Lauderdale and attempt to take down Nate’s company. (Get renewal status.)

• ABC
    Mistresses

Season 4 premiere: Joss testifies in Wilson’s murder trial; Karen’s male nanny (Jerry O’Connell) makes an unsolicited advance. (Watch sneak peek; view photos.)

• CBS
    Person of Interest

Reese, Fusco and the latest POI are trapped in their own precinct by The Voice; Root makes an unexpected discovery.

• MTV
    Scream

Season 2 premiere: A friend of Emma’s is killed upon her return from a recovering retreat. (An after-show follows at midnight.)

1. MMD says:

It is beyond me how Matt LeBlanc continues to obtain employment but I guess that’s the reason we have remotes and free choice. To each his own.

2. K2 says:

It will be interesting to see SYTYCD’s ratings because I definitely won’t be watching and I’m sure a lot of other devoted fans won’t be as well due to this switch-up.

3. Kevin K says:

Stanley Cup Final for just one hour then switch to the NBA Playoffs Game 7. Wonder if we’re going to see two respective Bay Area teams (Sharks and Warriors) win championships.

• Go Warriors! But it will be hard to root against Lebron and Cleveland in the finals. Cleveland’s fans have suffered so long, but I sure do like Curry and company. Should be a great finals, even if OKC wins tonight.

• Sue says:

We need a Cleveland championship.In the meantime, I think tonight will be really fun. I don’t care if OKC or GSW wins. I’d kind of like to see OKC, but I love Steph Curry, so…I’d be fine with either.

4. Dan the critic says:

Scream

5. kirads09 says:

POI (they aren’t phoning this final chapter in. Been soooo good)
    After being even more impressed with David Tennant in Jessica Jones and Olivia Colman in the Night Manager, I am binging Broadchurch which is amazing.

• You might want to stop after the first season, though. And Olivia Colman is brilliant. Night Manager was very good, and it even had Tobias Menzies as a “baddy.” If Hiddleston becomes the next James Bond, Menzies would be a perfect foil for him.

• LynnH says:

I enjoyed both seasons of Broadchurch quite a lot. Season 1 was the best, of course. But, as there is going to be a third (and final) season you’ll want to watch S2 if you plan on watching S3. :)

6. sunshine says:

I doubt if Roots or any other remake will find much of an audience. We crave original content, not stuff we already know and was done well the first time. Hollywood creativity is at an all time low.

7. Joey Padron says:

12 Monkeys, Scream, and Scream after show.

8. Josh says:

WWE Raw
    Scream and Scream aftershow

9. flowerduh says:

The Detour
    Person of Interest

Usually I would watch SYTYCD but Fox ruined it!

10. CK says:

Roots
    Scream
    (I’ll catch Person of Interest before Tuesday’s showing)

11. The Beach says:

I, like much of America, was riveted to the original Roots. I have no need to see a remake.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

NBA: GSW V. OKC

13. Scream is back. This season will be amazing. CAN’T WAIT

14. Sue says:

I have watched every season of SYTYCD, but not this. Then, this isn’t really SYTYCD, it’s Dance Moms without the Moms (I hope for anyone who is actually going to watch).

• Karen says:

I agree. I am so sad to see one of my favorite shows take this turn. I was looking forward to this season returning to the way it used to be. Obviously, that did not happen, and I am not in the least bit interested in watching a group of children being pushed beyond their limits while they are expected to perform like adults. This is just wrong.