The TARDIS is traveling to HBO Max: WarnerMedia’s upcoming streaming service has acquired the exclusive streaming rights to Doctor Who.
All 11 seasons of the current incarnation of the BBC sci-fi series will be available to watch when HBO Max launches in spring 2020. Future seasons will also be streaming exclusively on the service after they air on BBC America.
Additionally, HBO Max will carry episodes of BBC’s The Office, Top Gear, Luther and The Honorable Woman.
Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…
* Chicago P.D. has tapped Lisseth Chavez (The Fosters) to recur — with an option to become a series regular — as Vanessa Rojas, a fearless undercover cop, our sister site Deadline reports.
* Adam Scott (Big Little Lies) is adding host to his resume with ABC’s upcoming comedic physical game show Don’t, which counts Ryan Reynolds among its executive producers. The program follows one family of four who must work together throughout five mental and physical challenges with only one rule: don’t — as in don’t slip, don’t forget, don’t laugh, don’t say it, don’t scream, etc.
* Jennifer Cheon Garcia (Van Helsing) will guest-star in Supergirl‘s Season 5 premiere as the murderous villain Midnight, who has been released from an otherworldly prison to enact revenge, our sister site Variety reports.
* BET has given a series order to Sistas, a drama written, directed and executive-produced by Tyler Perry, per Deadline. The show stars KJ Smith (The Fix), Ebony Obsidian (If Beale Street Could Talk), Mignon Von and Novi Brown as a group of black women from different walks of life who bond over their one common thread: Why am I single?
* Netflix has released a trailer for Hyperdrive, featuring elite street racers battling an automotive obstacle course. The program, from EP Charlize Theron, premieres Wednesday, Aug. 21.
Which of today’s TVLine Items pique your interest?
Wow a female Latino cop. They could’ve got someone else to replace Antonio but they have to do this as an insult to injury. Fifty bucks she’ll be shacking someone, by episode 2
Won’t take you up on that bet because you’re probably right. Ruzek is due for another romp after he gets out of prison or is it Halstead’s turn? No wait, they are likely matching him up with Upton who previously slept with Ruzek. But we can’t forget Burgess who must be lonely now after all this time without her former fiance, Ruzek. Maybe Atwater can comfort her. But wait, Ruzek is still pining for her even thought he pursued Upton, right? And Upton secretly loves Halstead even though she also deeply cares for Ruzek. And Halstead is probably still pining for Lindsey, and etc. etc. etc. Meanwhile, old man Voight out there grunting, slapping, and doing his thing. It’s like The Young and Restless, CPD style. Good bye to the characters with families and believability (Dawson and Olinsky) and hello pandering only to the young demographics. This show has jumped the shark!!
Partly why I dropped Fire it was just musical bedmates. Loosing Shay was another blow I mean I’m fine with replacements after people leave so long as they are markedly different than the person before I was insulted they casted another blonde. And history repeats with Antonio and this chick.
What’s HBO Max going to be price wise?
wait does that mean killing eve will be switch over to.
No offense to the actress hired for Chicago PD, but she looks like a 16 year old high school student. And she is supposed to be a replacement for Jon Seda’s Antonio Dawson?? His portrayal of a cop was to me the most realistic of all the characters on that show – tough, no non-sense but still struggling with the moral dilemmas he faced daily. I will never understand why the current showrunner ruined both the Dawson and Olinsky characters. They both brought so much to this show to be cast aside for apparently younger actors. I have gone from never missing Chicago PD to not caring about it at all. Not even sure why I’m bothering to comment but I just hate how they have ruined this show for me.
You’re surprised by a young-looking undercover cop? I expect she’ll be a close-to-rookie dealing with the ethics and morals of infiltrating various groups for the first time…
I’m still holding out hope somewhere in all of this that Antonio spits out the pill, finds his family, & retires somewhere outside of Chicago. I get that it doesn’t work like that a lot of the time in real life, but I think his character deserves a happy ending
I agree I loved Al and his approach to the unit. He was really intimidating at times and he was a really good detective. I’ll never understand either why he was killed off. The show has a void that won’t be filled.
I was wondering how silly BBCAmerica would have to be to lose Doctor Who. Glad they will still air first run.
Yes, I’m glad that BBC America will still air first run with “Doctor Who”. Having it on HBO-Max though might double the number of viewers for the show. .
Will Doctor Who also still stream on the BBC America app?
I imagine that it will. It has to. “Doctor Who” has always been a BBC Production, so I don’t see how that will change since the show is one of the crown jewels of the BBC Network.
I’m glad that BBC America will still retain the right to air “Doctor Who” first run. Having it on HBO-Max though might bring more international viewers into the mix. Can you imagine a Premium Cable Network like HBO picking up “Doctor Who” & making it with a “Game of Thrones/Westworld” type budget. Of course, the BBC would have to be involved. I was also thinking that “Doctor Who” could be on AMC since the network has had surprise success with two British imports “The Discovery of Witches” & “Killing Eve.” Plus, I believe it could reach an even more wider audience on AMC Imagine if “Doctor Who” aired next to “The Walking Dead?” Thoughts anyone?.
Supergirl… the casting of Midnight fits into the Supergirl S5 theme of technology and the fight to save Lena’s soul. Provided Midnight is actually the computer program created by Lena called M1dn1ght (aka Midnight) that evolves and eventually becomes sentient. In the Superman comic, Lena created the program to help free herself from an otherworldly prison. I’m assuming Midnight’s target will likely be her creator.