Comic-Con

Comic-Con 2021 Cancelled; Organizers Eye Smaller, In-Person November Event

Comic-Con Logo

San Diego Comic-Con is officially taking another year off. The pop culture event has, once again, been postponed following last year’s cancellation as a result of the global coronavirus outbreak.

“While we are buoyed by the rollout of the vaccine and the growing number of individuals being inoculated, it appears that July will still be too early to safely hold an in-person event of the magnitude of Comic-Con,” the organization said in a statement. “For this reason, we have made the challenging decision to postpone Comic-Con 2021 as an in-person gathering until our 2022 dates, and once again hold this year’s celebration as the free online Comic-Con@Home.”

The virtual fest will be scaled down to a three-day event, taking place July 23-25, 2021, because the multiple postponements of Comic-Con and WonderCon have left the organization with “limited financial resources.”

Additionally, a smaller, in-person con is slated for this November in San Diego, with details to be announced at a later date. “As the timing and scope of our larger event factored greatly into our decision to postpone, we believe that launching a smaller in-person event at a later time may be a safe alternative,” the statement reads.

Popular on TVLine

Last year’s cancellation of Comic-Con marked the first time in SDCC’s 50-year history that the event did not take place. Those who purchased badges that were rolled over to the 2021 show will have their badges automatically transferred to 2022, unless a refund is requested. For more information about badge rollover and refunds, visit https://comic-con.org/cci.

Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t forkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV!

1. iamaroom says:

You Americans are lucky. We Canadians aren’t allowed to have the vaccine till September.

2. GHD says:

CC is going to permanently change after this. I’m willing to bet no more three-day campouts for Hall H.

• Jay says:

I have a feeling they may go the Reed Pop route of a combination of day of entry to a line for a given Hall H panel (you choose the one you attend with complete removal of the house after each panel) with no camp-outs as well as “raffles” for the spots in the room for the major panels.

3. PaulH says:

Complete horse-s decision. New name for this convention: #SanDiegoComicCant. Or should that be #SanDiegoComicWONT. Each is doable with me.
    Yet ANOTHER event shows its cowardice by telling all of us they have zero confidence in our own safety and health protocols. That’s what this says to the world. When will an event, multimedia or music or whatever, have the stones to say the show WILL go on? Enough with the Zooming crap. Enough with the at home crap.
    Grow a pair and take the first steps towards getting back to normal. SOMEBODY out there…

• Lincoln says:

It is not safe this year for big events.. They are being responsible.

• GHD says:

They are.

But some people don’t care if they make others sick.

• PaulH says:

I resent that; the UK is lifting its restrictions on outdoor concert attendance in mid-June. There is forward motion; but we’re stuck in neutral. To make this decision now, with ComicCon a quarter of a YEAR away is foolhardy. What about all the attendees who have been screwed over a SECOND time who already spent air/hotel/ticket $$ and who might not get all of it back?
          SDCC quit on them today.

• Tom says:

SDCC probably noticed how lax people are being in San Diego alone. How many people in this country knowingly and flagrantly violated guidelines by holding or attending Super Bowl parties not even a month ago? If there’s one thing Americans can be counted on to do, it’s look out for themselves and nobody else. Cramming 100,000 people, some of whom are already pretty damn selfish and obnoxious with no pandemic around, into a small building seems incredibly irresponsible at this point. We haven’t earned it.

• PaulH says:

When, then? 2022? Later? I’m f’n tired of being in COVID limbo. A lot of others are, too. When? If they’re that scared, then scrap SDCC and Wondercon while they’re at it altogether and be done with it. People have to have something to look forward to. And that was taken away from them today. Will New York ComicCon be next? That’s in October. Things have to be better by then, surely? PANDEMIC FATIGUE HAS TO END SOMETIME.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Dude.

• PaulH says:

Can’t reply directly under your post, Matt, so I need to reply above it. My pandemic fatigue is at Defcon 1. I’m sure others are at that level. I guess I’m just the only one to say it out loud. :|

• GHD says:

Paul, I have “Pandemic whiny crybaby that my life has been inconvenienced, I wanna pretend it’s not happening, so who cares how I may affect everyone else” fatigue.

And you people have been doing this since LAST March.

So I guess we’re even.

• PaulH says:

Pandemic fatigue. It’s real, and at some point, somebody’s gotta step up to the plate. There can be limits on attendees, seating capacity changes. Temperature checks, mandatory masks and social distancing. It’s just a matter of being the first to be brave enough to do it.

• Laura says:

First of all, the people who have gotten ill and went into the hospital and/or died, that’s BRAVE.
          Going to a convention, not brave.

• PaulH says:

University of Alabama greenlit full attendance at Denny-Bryant stadium for football this fall. 100,000 is their capacity. Just saying…

• VickyS says:

I am tired of being mainly stuck at home too and tired of having to wear a mask when I go out. But too many people have died, too many people became long haulers still unable to shake COVID. symptoms. It is great that through the vaccine things may be getting better but making sure COVID variants are knocked out and it becomes a minor illness is too important. So you have to miss COMIC-Con this year, boo hoo, if we do the work now, i t should be back next year. Better safe than sorry.

4. Vivian says:

Because California sucks.

5. Chris says:

Anyone here lose a loved one due to Covid? 🙋🏽 I have. So let’s be real here people. Follow protocols. Yes this sucks. Do I want to be able to attend this event and others heck yeah! But I can’t cus I can’t trust other people to be responsible!! I’ll take what I can. But I also want to point out that Wondercon & Comic-Con have lost money but please. You have made thousands if not millions off of us so don’t give me a bs financial excuse to any limited or future cancellations. People grow up!!