Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time: Dania Ramirez Is Playing 'New' Cinderella — Photos

Once Upon a Time is telling another Cinderella story.

At the D23 Expo in Anaheim on Saturday, exec producer Eddy Kitsis revealed that new cast member Dania Ramirez will be playing a new version of the iconic Disney heroine in the ABC drama’s forthcoming seventh season. Additionally, as many fans had surmised, she will indeed be Adult Henry’s (Andrew J. West) wife and baby mama.

Per Kitsis, the present-day story will be set in Seattle, while flashbacks will take viewers into the Enchanted Forest — but things will be a little different. “Henry is in a new Enchanted Forest, with characters that we have seen before but with different tales,” the EP teased. (Cinderella was previously played on Once by Jessy Schram.)

Storybrooke, however, is not out of the picture completely. Kitsis shared that “we may see it a few times throughout the year,” beginning, apparently, in the season premiere, when Jared Gilmore returns as Young Henry. “We’re going to follow him as he leaves home,” Kitsis shared, adding that Henry “wants to find his own story.” (For more from Once‘s D23 panel, click here.)

Scroll down for the first image of Ramirez as Cinderella, and then hit the comments with your thoughts of Once‘s Enchanted Forest reboot.

1. Rob says:

Why the ever loving EFF did ABC renew this show and prolong the inevitable? They’re retreading and they’re proudly shouting from the rooftops that they’re retreading.

• Jo says:

If someone’s forcing you to watch please dial 911.

• peterwdawson says:

I get your point, but don’t forget that people who have watched this show and are upset at the new direction are invested in what came before. It’s easy to say ‘stop watching’, but even if you’re not watching, you’re still aware of what’s happening to the thing you liked/loved.

• Butch says:

How invested in a show are people who have asked or predicted that the show would be cancelled since Season 2. I sure there are plenty of things for people to do on a Friday night if they don’t want to watch this show. Glad to hear Jared will be back for the premiere. I am guessing there will be a scene where he says good bye to his two mothers. They make the story sound like Once is having their own version of Flashpoint where everything and appearently the people have changed. Wasn’t Cinderella’s prince called Prince Charming not Snow White’s prince. Henry is becoming his Grandfather.

• Butch says:

How invested in a show are people who have asked or predicted that the show would be cancelled since Season 2. I sure there are plenty of things for people to do on a Friday night if they don’t want to watch this show. Glad to hear Jared will be back for the premiere. I am guessing there will be a scene where he says good bye to his two mothers. They make the story sound like Once is having their own version of Flashpoint where everything and apparently the people have changed. Wasn’t Cinderella’s prince called Prince Charming not Snow White’s prince. Henry is becoming his Grandfather.

• Stanz says:

I love Dania, but I wish they’d HONORED the first 6 years by just making her a new character or a character that hadn’t been shown yet. I get that she’s a NEW cinderella, it just seems off to have a NEW cinderella. It doesnt honor the OLD cinderella. She could have been Elena, or Sofia or any other unused Disney princess.

• Tray says:

I agree 100%. Took the words right out of my mouth.

• Stephanie Anderson says:

Moana? Pocahontas? I wish just a teensy but that it was Violet, but he WAS dancing with another girl at the wedding, sooooo…

• laurelnev says:

Yup…bad writing that dishonors their own concept. See the ridiculous, sycophantic replies to my similar comment. Their excuse is there are 3 Cinderellas–a live action one, a musical one, and a live action one. Dishonors their own concept. SO makes me NOT want to stick around for this season. This already portends bad writing!

2. Chris Evans says:

Garbage total garbage so now Henry is prince charming.

3. David Hess says:

It kinda reminds me of the multiverse in comic books.

4. Wordsmith says:

She’s got conspicuous cleavage, so by official OUAT rules, she must be a villain.

5. laurelnev says:

They’re going to “honor” the 1st 6 years…yet they marry Henry off to someone who was stuck in eternal pregnancy until the curse broke? And who obviously was too old to be a lover for Henry, unles they want to pay homage to Harold and Maude or something. What…were there no other fairy tale characters to exploit?

• David Hess says:

This is not the same Cinderella.

• Daisy says:

For the first time ever, I think this show should’ve been cancelled. They should’ve ended it with the characters endings no whstever. Not try to change the whole story!!! What in the world? Honestly!

• Karen W says:

laurelnev
      You are obviously not following what is being said. It is not the same Cinderella. Not just that it is a different actress playing Cinderella.

• laurelnev says:

Oh, I’m following all right…it’s just a crock of BS, and I guess folks like you show that there are fans stupid enough to blindly follow whatever ridiculous notion they decide to throw at us! (And I do not mean that as a personal attack against you, no matter how trollish I sound.) You can NOT excuse bad writing and dishonoring a world they spent 6 years establishing! It’s as bad as Lestat procreating!

• Heather Matthews says:

There were alot of different cinderella movies so they are obv putting another cinderella sort of following that story.

• ninergrl6 says:

I was at D23 Expo and attended this panel. The way they explained it was that there’s an animated Cinderella and a live-action Cinderella (and FWIW a musical Cinderella that has nothing to do with Disney), same character, same basic premise, different movies with slightly different details. That analogy made sense to me.

• laurelnev says:

With all due respect, there is only ONE Cinderella. Now, in the ORIGINAL Beauty and the Beast, her sisters were named Rose Red and Snow White. And there WAS another “Snow White” in Fairy Tales. But despite the fact the Cinderella story has been remade many times, there are NOT multiple Cinderellas…in fact there really was no Cinderella…there was only Ella who was treated badly by her sisters and given that horrible nickname. That’s like saying there was a Gay Hook and a Straight Hook because of the way DiNero played him. Now, let’s see them say there are more than one Bo Peep or King Midas, because they’re sorry they threw those characters away early on. Are we forgetting that Snow and Ella were great pals, and they used Ella to trick Rumple into signing the contract with squid ink? And I’m not even a rabid-detail remembering fan. No, claiming there are multiple iterations of Cinderella just cheapens their whole concept and shows they neither honor their OWN continuity, nor the world they established in their first 6 years.

• Rachel says:

Could it somehow be the daughter of the Cinderella we know? After all, TIME is weird on OUAT.

• Talia says:

That is an interesting theory, never thought about it that way. That aside, curious about Season 7 and will continue watching OUAT.

• Brandy says:

No.Neither Ashley or Thomas were latina

• Brandy says:

Plus I don’t think 20 or more years have by by( Henry was 14 in s6 finale and is seemingly 30s now.)Plus Asheky & Thomas scssighter was named Alexabdra not Jacinda.

• Stephanie Anderson says:

That’s what I wasn’t thinking. Maybe it’s Alex? She really wouldn’t be that much younger than Henry. My parents are nine years apart. Alex seems like the only one who would make sense if it was a child of Cinderella. They didn’t say her name just that it’s a ‘new’ Cinderella. If her name is Ella that would make me mad, but it could be her?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Agsin Ashkey & Thimas were white not Latina so it can be thier daughter who we saw was also white in s1&4.
          Plus her name was Alexandra and this “new Cinderelaas” name is Jaci da( from captions of photos).
          Also Henry was 10 when Alexandra was was born and 14 in the s6 finale so Akexsbdra would be considerably younger than him.Jacinda looks older than Henry in the new present day and in her late 30s not 10 years younger & 20s.

6. CC says:

Gosh, she looks old, especially in that first pic.

7. Why a new Cinderella? Why not make her the live-action version of Sofia The First instead?

8. Nemo says:

Cinderella is now a 50 year old Hispanic woman. Got it. Go Henry.

9. George H. says:

Didn’t know Cinderella was supposed to almost have her boobs fall out if she sneezes too hard.

10. Brennan says:

So Henry goes to the wish realm?

11. Eli says:

very angry. Jessy Schram is brilliant and needs to be back. Bad move OUAT.

12. Kat says:

Ok so it’s suppose to be in seattle,and are all the cast besides the ones who left in real life,going to be in Seattle? Then is there suppose to be mines for the dwarfs and what about blue,Regina,hook. It should have ended with snow,charming,bell,ema and belle living in the enchanted forest happily ever after that way they could cameo.

13. Cam says:

So basically there just out of ideas.

14. Karissa says:

No we need the original Cinderella!!!! No Bring her back Bring her back

15. brandydanforth81 says:

I’m not suprised Henry ended up with a fairy tale character since A&E said he would& their romance ” is epic and in the tradition of Snowing”& with Henry being The Author and going to all these other realms/lands/worlds and SB having been populated by fairytale charcters.
    Her dress is pretty but I’m not sure how much I like the idea of ” new Cinderella”.But I’ll give it a chance.Henry was the Truest Beliver but now lost his belief/hope so I hope nothing bad happened to Emma to cause that.

16. Rob TO says:

This move that OUAT had the balls to make, is what I want to see Gotham do. Recast David Mazouz and tell the older Bruce Wayne story where it makes sense that he’s a step away from becoming Batman. Then bring Mazouz back for flashback episodes that show more of the build up.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Gotham is perfectly fine just the way it is. Recasting Ivy was stupid. Recasting anyone else takes stupidity to the nth degree. I see absolutely no reason to recast Mazouz because the show is never going to be a Batman show.

17. Allison Williams says:

I have to say I’m not on board with the new Cinderella idea. What happened to the old one, and what happened to the highschool girlfriend?

18. Lily says:

So, Henry left Storybrooke for the Enchanted Forest, because he wanted to be like Grandpa Charming? Thank goodness, Emma’s love interest was not a fairytale prince.

• ninergrl6 says:

IIRC the way they explained it at the panel was that Henry leaves Storybooke at age 18 to go to college, like many young adults. How/why he ended up in the Enchanted Forest is still a mystery.

19. Chris says:

I hear one of those old soap opera voice overs repeatedly saying “The character of so and so, is now being played by such and such”. I don’t mind the actor/character changes so much since this is a fantasy show, but another freaking curse? Really? Is that all these guys can write?

• laurelnev says:

Recasting would be a lot more acceptable. No, the explanation is “The Live Action, animated, and musical Cinderellas are 3 different people.” Balderdash!

(And back in the AMC days, I used to say that there was a reason they never mentioned haircuts. The conversation would go like this:
      “Erika, I Love your new haircut.”
      “Thanks, Mike. And I LOVE your new face!”)

20. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

No offense to the actress, she may be fine in other roles, but she is kind of homely for Cinderella