greys anatomy season 13 biggest moments

Grey's Anatomy: The 15 Biggest Moments From Season 13, Ranked

Now that the smoke has cleared in the wake of Grey’s Anatomy’s Season 13 finale, there are but two things we can do to tide us over until the ABC drama’s fall return: 1) Eagerly anticipate Season 14 spoilers, and 2) Reflect on the season past.

Any way you slice ’em, the last 24 episodes were a wild ride, one that committed Meredith to a new relationship that might have been doomed before it had even begun, reunited April and Jackson, if only for a night, and set up Arizona with arguably the most polarizing love interest in the show’s history. Oh, and we can’t forget the worms. Seriously, we can’t. We’ve tried.

But which of Season 13’s many memorable moments were the biggest, most shocking and impactful? Click on the attached gallery — or click here for direct access — to see our picks (and pics), then hit the comments with any omissions you’d have included.

1. NC says:

The only big moment that involved Minnick is when Bailey fired her. Arizona’s new relationship is hardly a list-maker. Matter of fact, Arizona has had and deserves better.

• E. D. Boddy says:

The net effect was silly: The whole premise of Minnick was Catherine’s notion that they hadn’t been teaching their doctors properly. Yet Minnick’s exit is based on that the notion that they WERE all along?

• Fabrizia says:

Minnick’s method was great and benefitted the residents greatly. She was fired because she said that Edwards should have not been there that day.
        I don’t know if things would have been different with someone else in her place (a man could have overpowered the rapist, another woman probably not) and I don’t think Stephanie is to blame for anything, but Richard should have respected her disposition and send Stephanie home.
        Bailey has been taking brave decisions all season against a band of spoiled whiners, so of course she has to undo all the good work, otherwise she would prove she’s a good chief and we know from past seasons that she is NOT.

• Shelley says:

Right. Happiest time of my life was hearing Bailey say with no hesitation you’re fired lol if it wasn’t for her dumb protocol Stephanie and Erin could have been located alot faster. But these same doctors wasn’t taught well I guess they were

• Fabrizia says:

The security protocols have nothing to do with Minnick’s work and without them the rapist would have probably taken Stephanie outside then cut her throat.

2. Ethan says:

LOL this season is one of the dullest of the series. The only “moment” I was somewhat surprised is the scene where they showed Derek. Meredith/Nathan dragged on forever until Megan was revealed to be alive at the end (to no one’s surprised). Jo’s absence really hurt her storyline with Alex. I don’t even see the point of showing Jo’s husband when Jo is gone for the last few episodes. Maggie hooking up with Jackson makes no sense when she was pining over Nathan the entire season. Arizona did nothing except hooking up with Minnick just to have her leave at the end (thank god, she was annoying). April and Deluca were also given nothing to do. Shonda really need to end the series. They had several great arcs last season with Derek’s death and Callie/Arizone fighting over Sophia. This season is so scattered and I was bored except maybe for that plane episode with Meredith/Nathan and the finale. Everything else was forgettable.

• Fabrizia says:

This year’s big stories were the triangle of Doom (which should have been done by Christmas really: Maggie finds out and is mad at Meredith for lying, they don’t speak for a few episodes, then make peace and maggie gives her blessing and moves on), instead we got dead parent number #6 and her bad advices.

The war against Minnick wasn’t too bad (until the finale, that is).

The Alex started well and I was surprised that he confessed in the first episode. It could have been a great lesson about responsability and abuse but ABC must have heard the complains of the Alex fans and turned the story upside down with a ridiculous Deus Ex Machina. Alex learned nothing and it’s like nothing ever happened. DeLuca shouldn’t have put his face in front of Alex’s fist, all is forgiven.

I give it a C +

3. Christine says:

Jo telling Alex she’s married and that Jo isn’t her real name should be #1. That moment was a huge moment for both characters and their relationship. It’s too bad the writers did such a terrible job after that by not doing anything at all with that story line.

4. Daniel says:

Wow. This made me realize how bad this season was

5. Wordsmith says:

This isn’t entirely surprising, but it’s interesting to note how none of these moments really have anything to do with surgery or medicine. The show could be pretty much the same if it were about police officers, for example.
    (Which only reminds me how much I miss Rookie Blue…)

6. Sara says:

Ummm, yea, April and Jackson finally sleep together again half way through the season and the writers completely forgot about it. Pathetic attempt at continuity.

• Fabrizia says:

They didn’t forget. They hooked up they way exes sometime do, but their issues remain the same.

• Anne says:

Be that as it may, it wasn’t handled well. Even if they weren’t going to get back together, an acknowledgment of staying platonic coparents or a talk or atleast a scene with both of them in the same damn room would be nice. But nope. They purposely had them share zero scenes which is super weird considering they were living together (are they still? WHO KNOWS). It was pretty obviously done to keep Japril fans guessing, giving no obvious hints just to drop the random cliffhanger in the end. Which btw is super forced.
        Oh so Jackson & Maggie who never really spoke suddenly have scenes in 4 straight episodes with mainly each other & now they’re into each other? Yeah, not random & predictable at ALL.

7. T. says:

Pretty happy that #Ariliza is in the top 15 :) I’m in love with them, I’m happy to see Arizona happy again and love Minnick.

Great for Japril, the finale was a huge bummer with how they want to pair Jackson and Maggie.

I loved all scenes involving Owen’s sister; I’m all for seeing her again next season. Plus, I’m eager to how it will impact Riggs and Meredith.

I’m so over the Owen/Amelia drama, I hope they find an interesting story line to tell next year, whether they are together or not.

8. evababy says:

My favorite moment was Stephanie telling Minnick to “Get Out of My FACE” in the finale.

Other good moments include:
    – DeLuca’s face after Arizona hugs him. Before that everyone else had been rallying around & more concerned about Alex. But DeLuca as a victim had been largely ignored.

– Not a real moment, but I loved the two guest actresses who played the lawyer and the doctor in the Prison episode. They were highlights and really stood out.

– Richard showing Stephanie what real teaching is after Minnick punked out and ran away in tears after that little kid died on the table.

– The entire episode of Maggie’s mom’s dying. Sad, but really powerful.

• Phil says:

So with you about DeLuca. In a weird way, I’m almost glad they gave him little to do this season. Shonda these days either gets stuff really right or really wrong, and her track record lately has had more wrongs than right. I rather have DeLuca be always there in the background with little to nothing to do instead of having more of him and have it be a crap plot. Hopefully with Minnick gone, we can more Arizona and DeLuca friendship screentime.

• Fabrizia says:

This show doesn’t do friendship unless it’s between two women.

• Phil says:

The Meredith and Alex friendship is great whenever Alex isn’t dealing with Jo. I did take Cristina leaving for that to get proper exposure though. And way back in the beginning, we did have Izzy and George before it became a trainwreck. Derek and Mark also had a good friendship once they resolved their problems with Addison.

9. Larc says:

If these were the 15 biggest moments (and I’m not saying they weren’t), they do little more than remind me what a boring season it was. I don’t think they even killed as many patients in the OR as usual.

10. Jec says:

Really terrible season. Hoping that Season 14 is a vast improvement. Otherwise they need to end the show…

11. Beverley says:

What a season of mediocrity! I kept waiting for something, any storyline to kick it up, but nothing! Rhimes shows little respect to her audience as can be seen from the bad patronizing interview done on TV Line a few months back. This is reflected in the pointless storylines. This show needs to end if this lackluster writing continues.

12. Gospino says:

Definitely one of the weaker seasons, but some of the moments were good. Meredith choosing to move forward and Amelia not wanting a baby were among the better ones for me. But really, you single out Diane’s “Be slutty” line as her top advice to Maggie? Sluttiness is disgusting, not cool or funny.

13. Julia says:

Sorry, but there have been no big moments this season! Most boring season of Grey’s ever. Used to love the show – still watch reruns on Lifetime. But Grey’s hasn’t been good in a few years. Might be time for it to end. I keep watching just hoping that it’ll get better but it continues to disappoint.

14. Dannie C says:

I’m behind with this season but kept up via TVLine recaps but not their best season…hopefully next season will be better

15. iloentje says:

Hmm. If this is the list of big moments, I now too have to admit that it was a pretty lame season :(

16. Shelley says:

You guys are right this season was pretty boring can we please get Callie, Christina, and Allison back

17. Jo and Alex were the only storyline of the season that was exciting, and they were relegated to the back burner. Minnick was awful. Stephanie and Jackson make no sense and their ‘obvious’ attraction came out of nowhere. I still don’t know the purpose of Leah’s return. Megan’s being alive was the worst kept secret ever. This season was a mess. I’m pretty sure I’m hate-watching at this point.

18. Rebecca says:

ugh, I love Nathan and Meredith together, so the arrival of his long-lost finance is frustrating. Also no to Jackson and Maggie!

19. ivone says:

Quero o casal April e Jac de volta! por favor!

20. Rick says:

“Highly explosive nitrogen?” Whoever wrote that caption failed high school science.

21. Annielane says:

I like the #JaprilTheSequel episode 16, I like the episode 2 when Catherine’s asked April about Harrriet’s last name and how April defend the meaning of her last name. I like Meredith and Nathan outside na airplane scene,ovely couple.

22. Janete Lee Wardell says:

Why don’t you bring back Finn the Vet for Meridth? They made a great couple.