SNL Season 42: Worst to Best Episodes, Ranked — Lin-Manuel Miranda, KStew, Chappelle, Tom Hanks, ScarJo and More

Nearly every week from late September through mid-May, we here at TVLine highlight the best and worst of what Saturday Night Live has to offer, before turning it over to you, our loyal readers, to grade each episode.

And with SNL taking the next three weekends off before returning with host Louis C.K. on April 8, we’ve decided to revisit how each of the previous Season 42 episodes have fared, based on the average grade that you gave them.

Just how high does Tom Hanks rate thanks to David Pumpkins? Does Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hosting stint come in lower than you’d expect? And what about Kristen Stewart after her surprisingly well-received outing (and that one very steamy Pizza Rolls ad)?

Peruse the attached gallery above (or click here for direct access) to see how TVLiners ultimately ranked each SNL Season 42 episode from worst to best, then tell us if you’re surprised by any of the results. (And yes, we will update the rankings again before season’s end, so check back soon.)

1. Kevin Tran says:

The Lin-Manuel Miranda episode was great and the Crucible Cast Party is one of my faves this season.

2. Mark Yacullo says:

Casey Afflecks Dunkin Donuts sketch was pretty hilarious and he was a big part of that.

3. Tom says:

#2. TOM HANKS
    OCT. 22, 2016
    AVG. GRADE: A-
    This episode may be remembered for… David Pumpkins, man! Any questions?
    ~
    Yes. What’s so great about David Pumpkins? All these months later, I still do not get the obsession over it. It was stupid in my opinion.

• Anne says:

I honestly don’t know what makes the David Pumpkins thing so popular….but I can’t deny that I found it delightful

4. Superwoman says:

Casey Affleck’s gay robots skit and the Dunkin Donuts one were hilarious…he was awesome in those.

5. cuius says:

By my calculations, the average of the 16 shows is B-. Not exactly a ringing endorsement – any other show would have been binned by now. Still Saturday Night – not much opposition

6. S. says:

Honestly I thought ScarJo’s ep was the best all season. Mikey Day really broke out. I don’t know how it’s the same writing staff as the Octavia episode which came before it. Not the first time that kind of pendulum swing’s happened. Were they not as inspired to write for Octavia? Did she shoot down some pitches that would’ve been better? Seems like she got short shrift for some reason. It’s weird how arguably the weakest episode can come right before a great one at SNL sometimes.

7. immeam says:

Enjoyed the season .only the episodes with those British actor/actress and Octavia were disappointing

8. Harmony says:

Kristen Stewart’s episode was my favorite. She was wonderful and fit in really well with the whole cast. I’ve watched her monologue and the Totinos Pizza Roll commercial more times than I can count and I think I love her a little bit more every time.