Flash Renewed Season 4

The CW Renews The Flash, Supernatural, Crazy Ex and 4 Others

The Flash, fittingly, was quick to secure a renewal for the 2017-18 TV season — as were six other CW series.

The network kicked off its Sunday appearance at the Television Critics Association winter press tour by announcing the seven shows had earned early renewals, including the aforementioned The Flash as well as Jane the Virgin (both of which will be heading into Season 4), Supernatural (for a lucky Season 13) and Arrow (now targeting Season 6).

Additionally, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and CBS import Supergirl all will be back for Season 3.

The 100, iZombie, The Originals and newbie Riverdale have yet to premiere their seasons, while The Vampire Diaries will air its series finale on March 10. It was previously announced that Reign’s upcoming fourth season would be its last. Freshman dramas Frequency and No Tomorrow did not receive “back 9” orders, though officially no decision has been made on their fates.

“Over the past several seasons, The CW has built a schedule of proven performers, from our lineup of DC superheroes, to critically acclaimed comedies, to sci-fi dramas,” network boss Mark Pedowitz said in a statement. “Early pickups of these seven series now allow our producers to plan ahead for next season, and gives us a solid base to build on for next season, with original scripted series to roll out all year long.”

The Flash is The CW’s top series, averaging a 1.2 demo rating — which equals or bests 22 of the Big 4 network dramas — and more than 3 million weekly viewers (in Live+Same Day ratings); Supergirl follows with 2.7 mil and a 0.9. Arrow, Legends and Supernatural tie for third, each averaging a 0.7 rating season-to-date.

Crazy Ex collected two Emmys last year (for editing and choreography), while co-creator/star Rachel Bloom won a Golden Globe a year ago, for lead actress in a comedy/musical. Jane the Virgin‘s Gina Rodriguez is a three-time Globe nominee, grabbing gold her first time around, in 2015.

Which of The CW’s lucky seven are you most excited (or surprised?) to see return?

1. Agata says:

So happy about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin!!! Great shows with great characters.

2. bluji says:

Extremely happy about the superhero shows!!

3. Elaine says:

I love Arrow! It’s my favorite fall/spring season show. Happy to see Flash return also. Supernatural is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going and…..

4. Robert Dassler says:

Hardly surprising. The CW are their usual cowardly selves by refusing to get rid of the deadweight. Arrow, Supernatural and Legends of Tomorrow I’m looking at you.

• Kendall says:

Why do you care? If you don’t like the shows, then don’t watch them. Supernatural will end only when the cast stops wanting to make it. :) Congrats to Jensen, Jared, and Misha!

• notpercysowner says:

Except these shows are highly rated for the CW and bringing in money. SPN has had a syndication deal for years and Arrow just got one. Whatever YOU think of the quality, people are watching and they’re making money. I mean I LOVE CEG but the ratings should make it toast.

• Spencer says:

Have you seen the drop in Arrow’s hating this season? People are over it. They got over it the moment they turned it into an Olicity soap opera. It’d be better if the show ended on a high note rather than running forever until nobody can sstand it anymore.

• notpercysowner says:

And it still gets good ratings and has a syndication deal with TNT. In the end, it comes down to money and Arrow and SPN are making money for Warner.

• Dysturbed says:

Ratings are factually down but money coming in from other ways helps make up for the lost ad revenue.

• Dysturbed says:

Based on CW’s (always low compared to other networks) standards combined with money coming in for those those through things like syndication, distribution deals, etc. they’re not the dead weight you claim they are.

• rowan77 says:

Far from it. Robert Dassler does not understand all of the income streams for Warner Bros and the CW that go far beyond commercials during first-run episodes.

• dude says:

They renewed their quality shows and the shows that make them money, that seems pretty equal and fair for a network.

• Nathan Everett says:

You must haven’t seen the ratings

• Goldenvibefan says:

Yea Arrow just needs to die already.. They’ve ruined one of my favourite comic book characters, and killed off another. Wish that Arrow, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and Jane would get cancelled already. The latter 2 don’t preform well at all.

• abz says:

How does it affect you if they are still on the air? If you don’t like them then don’t watch. Plain and simple. Plenty of shows out there to watch. CXG and JTV are great shows. i’ll agree that Arrow’s quality has definitely declined, but it still has a large fanbase and is tied for #3 for the network’s top rated shows. Did you really think they’d cancel it?

• Pedro says:

Any show with 13 seasons mints millions and millions in syndication. And Arrow has just got a syndication deal.

• Dead weight? If they don’t have shows in the pipeline that will get better ratings then they’re the OPPOSITE of dead weight.

• Ben says:

Your definition of deadweight must be ‘shows that you don’t like’. I’m guessing CW’s definition is ‘shows that don’t make them money’. I think their definition is better.

• ekolint48 says:

U literally just named 3 of their top 5 shows, per the article.

• artiespet says:

If you don’t like the shows don’t watch them. The CW is daring to do what the other networks refuse to do and that is air shows viewers actually want to see not that crap they try to make you believe you want to see.

5. crazy ex has about 10 people watching it at any one time basically, though it would have looked bad to cancel it since its one of the few series on CW that is nominated for a legit award every year.

6. Billy meacham says:

Dang supernatural at season 13?? It seems like it wants to break law and order SVUs record.

7. Molly says:

Who the f.ck renews Supernatural? Its an all white show in 2017 with sexist, heteronormative undertones!

• Kendall says:

*sigh* No. Move on. There are so many shows out there, if SPN doesn’t crumble your cookie, then just watch something else. I’m a queer POC female and I love it.

• Meg says:

It’s one of the highest rated shows on The CW. So regardless of the lack of diversity of the cast and your distaste at it having “heteronormative undertones” (please explain why that’s a bad thing?) it’s always going to get renewed.

• YoureVerySmrt says:

BWAahahhahahha I hope you’re a troll.

• L. F. says:

Back off! You can’t accuse Supernatural of lack of diversity. This show has tons of diversity: humans, angels, demons, vampires, ghosts, witches, and the list goes on and on. If you do not like it, don’t watch it. There are lots of other shows that may satisfy your wishes.

• You’re certainly free to dislike and criticize the show (I love it and I think it has its issues) but you must be living on different planet, if you think, “heteronormative undertones” constitutes a criterion for cancellation when it comes to TV shows.
      And who keeps renewing it? The folks who understand that a show that is #3 of its network at TWELVE years old, with a syndication deal that makes them good money, is a rare thing. But by all means, throw the golden goose in the trash. LOGIC!

• Joe says:

Yep. That is the BEST part about it!

• dean says:

Nevermind the cross dressing protagonist who gets crushes on male actors and wrestlers and whose feelings for his brother were described as “erotic” by an all-knowing being.

8. Cathy says:

I like Frequency, and hope it has a future.

9. Lysh says:

I’m sorta surprised with Arrow. I thought maybe they’d want to stop. But I’m glad! I still love it, despite everything. And lol at Supernatural…I hope they go for 15 seasons. Anyway, YAY renewals! What a nice thing to start the day with.

• Chris says:

Bertlanti has said the original plan was for 5 season but that changed and I think now he said it will probably be 7 or 8 as long as ratings hold up.

• clintbrew says:

at least the flashbacks will end even though the flashbacks sometimes are better than the present day stuff also supernatural will never end

• Ben says:

Sometimes the flashbacks are the worst thing about the series. Like, say, all of season 4. I think the format has run out and so I’m glad we will finally be doing away with them.

• Christopher says:

Definitely agree, the flashbacks got to go. They were great in the first couple of seasons, but mostly boring and forced in seasons 3 & 4. The flashbacks have been much better this season, but I’m more than ready for Arrow to maintain a permanent focus on what is actually happening.

10. Balázs Beni says:

YAAAAY for Crazy Ex Girlfriend! I wish No Tomorrow gets a 2nd season too, we need more funny shows next to these dark ones

11. Meg says:

I’m honestly (pleasantly) shocked by the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend renewal. And it seems like renewing SPN is just a formality every year.

12. Kendall says:

Congrats to Jensen, jared, and Misha! Can’t wait to watch you guys for a thirteenth season. <3

13. Aly says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, Supernatural! ♥

14. legends, flash, arrow, supergirl. were always going to be renewed. Hope these universes can be integrated a bit more over the years than just the annual crossover.

15. Jared says:

The CW network has a really fun lineup! I probably watch more on this network than most. Happy to see all my faves renewed for next season.

16. MockingbirdGirl says:

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND!!!! Finally, some legitimate good news in 2017. W00t!

17. Mia says:

So happy that I don’t have to worry about my DC shows.

18. asm says:

Oh my god.. So happy with Crazy ex. I was expecting they’d get axed (“Because of the ratings”). But the last eps have been good. Even sans Santino Fontana.

• Ally Oop says:

I laughed so much in both of yesterday’s episodes. I thought the show would be cancelled too but it’s not so I’m thrilled. I’m thankful to the CW for each season they give the show because ratings do not justify a renewal.

• Lex says:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin are the CW’s first entries into critically-acclaimed “prestige TV,” showing how the term is being redefined now that the cliche morally ambiguous anti-hero shows are gone. They’ve also won awards for a network that never had any credibility… they’ll continue to foster the shows… they’re the network’s gifted but socially awkward children who are still valedictorian (to use a metaphor relating to the network’s “teen show” reputation).

19. Excited to see Supernatural come back. :D

20. webly3 says:

The only renewal that I was really scared about was Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so I’m incredibly thrilled about its renewal!

21. Erika says:

If they decide to let No Tomorrow go, I sincerely hope the writers are prepared to have the finale show the Asteroid *actually* hit the Earth and they don’t let that opportunity slip through their fingers.

• RichieS says:

Was really interested for a S2 to see how funny the writers could make massive death and destruction. I guess James Franco and posse already did that in ” This is the End ” . I suppose it would be hilarious to watch the lead wandering through the corpses and rubble in one of her cutsey outfits.

• Erika says:

Don’t get me wrong, I would *love* to see it continue. I’m really really enjoying it… but if it has to end, I think they should go the “Xander was right” route and really smack an asteroid into the Earth.

22. Michelle says:

I was a little concerned about Legends but am thrilled it got renewed! It’s fun and doesn’t take itself too seriously.

23. Lucy says:

My only problem is that there are too many superhero shows, I get that they are on trend, but the amount is ridiculous and leaves less variety of shows on the Network unless they increase the number of shows on the channel next year.
    I hope The Originals does get renewed but I have a feeling it will be the last. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend gets low ratings but they get awards so no surprise there. I hope The Originals can also create a huge social media buzz, it could end up like Fringe where most of its survival was due to the fans.

• Haz says:

I honestly think the Netflix deal has more to do with Crazy Ex and Janes’ renewal instead of awards recognition. Don’t get me wrong I am sure they are happy with the awards the shows have won, but in terms of ratings it didn’t help them at all. I think with the exclusive deal to Netflix plus the launch of their app has benefited both shows in terms of renewal chances. I began watching iZombie this past fall and probably will wait until it’s 3rd season ends and goes to Netflix before I watch it, same with Riverdale. I’ll probably wait the two weeks and watch it in its entirety on Netflix.

24. abz says:

I’m so happy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is renewed. It gives me some hope that we’ll get to see Greg/Santino Fontana again :D

25. Katie says:

I can’t believe CXG is on this list. I mean, you push a show to Fridays and cut the episodes ordered, certainly sounds like death to me. But nothing could make me happier. I’m also a little surprised about the SPN renewal, just because 13 years is absolutely insane, but great for them too.

26. And all #SPNFamily thank Chuck for this! 💪♥️❣️

27. Matt says:

So exited that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will continue! That was my number one bubble show this year. It’s so creative and always makes me laugh. Plus Rachel Bloom is beautiful and amazing.

28. Butch says:

Happy for Legends and the other Arrowverse shows. I am guessing it will still have a shorter season than the others in the Arrowverse. With its extremely late start, I hope there is still a chance for iZombie to continue beyond this season.

29. Dominique says:

glad to hear all the DC shows will be back! :D
    i’m still hoping for frequency to get another season, maybe as a midseason or summer show or something. i feel like the show isn’t on the right network, same way supergirl wasn’t a good fit for CBS.

• Olivia says:

I totally agree. Frequency is good, but it feels kinda out of place during the regular season… a move to midseason/summer could help it. Also yay for Supergirl! ^^

30. MadHobbit says:

well i stopped watching flash due to the third year of speedster main villain,arrow went dark again so stopped it again,super girl is too preaching of a gay agenda , no longer kid friendly.LOT is boring and too predictable like the others. But they have a right to make the shows and I have a right not to watch

• abz says:

“…super girl is too preaching of a gay agenda , no longer kid friendly…”
      I can’t wait for the day that stupid, ridiculous comments like this cease to exist.

• Tai says:

I keep telling myself that they will but then I see comments like that and another one where a woman claimed her son was uncomfortable with two women kissing but totally fine with people of opposite genders having sex in a supply closet.

• abz says:

Yeah, it’s so stupid. A character going through the difficult process of coming out and dealing with starting a new relationship is “preaching the gay agenda”, yet we have James and Wynn lusting over Kara for a full season, but that’s not “preaching the straight agenda”. When will these people grow up.
          Can’t stand people who try to use their kids as a way to hide their homophobia. I came across this one guy online who told me it was unnatural and how his young daughter stopped watching because two girls were kissing and then tried to back track by saying that his daughter made the decision herself to quit because the show wasn’t focusing much on Supergirl. What a bunch of loser, bad parents.

• Lex says:

So say we all.

• Il_leone says:

These shows are not suppose to be kid friendly. If anything Supergirl seems to be written by someone with a message to Donald Trump about a tolerant and accepted society we live in.

31. Joey Padron says:

So happy my favorite DC shows got renewed!

32. Another Poster says:

Hooray for the renewal of Supergirl. I was worried that the move to CW, the lower budget, the move to Canada and the departure of some of the cast might hurt it, however, it’s still popular, and it’s my favorite Monday 8 PM show. I am so happy for the fans of these renewed programs.
    Thank you CW!

• Goldenvibefan says:

I love that it’s second ratings wise for CW. I too was worried with the move, but not anymore. They are going strong! :D

• Phun says:

I felt the same way about Supergirl’s move to THE CW. But after viewing the first half of the season and now the news of its renewal, it’s in good hands! :)

33. Azerty says:

Very happy about the superheroes shows. Now start thinking about next year crossover!!!

34. Ally Oop says:

I watched both No Tomorrow and Frequency but I saw the writing on the wall since the beginning and am not disappointed they likely won’t be back. I don’t watch any of the superhero shows anymore or Supernatural. Vampire Diaries has sucked for a few years now so I’m glad it’s done. So happy about Crazy Ex and likewise Jane the Virgin cause I watch both. The 100 and The Originals are my favourite CW shows so hopefully both have good seasons and get renewed.

35. Kevin says:

So happy about Supergirl getting renewed. Don’t know if the upcoming season of Supernatural will be its last.

36. Teresa says:

super excited about Supernatural – luck number 13 ❤💜❤

37. Teresa says:

Bummed about Frequency, but love that Supernatural is renewed

38. John036 says:

I’m surprised they’re keeping Crazy Ex, I mean it’s a great show but the ratings are just…abysmal. My major gripe with this network is their lack of cancelling shows. The schedule is already crowded as is, and it’s like they don’t even care! Keeping Crazy Ex at 13 episodes for season three will be a smart move, because it’ll open up a slot for the spring (cause they won’t move it out of the fall line-up because of the Golden Globes).
    My recommendation for their schedule for the 2017-2018 season would be:
    MONDAY: Jane the Virgin (22 episodes) & Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (13 episodes)
    TUESDAY: Supergirl (22 episodes) & The Flash (22 episodes)
    WEDNESDAY: Arrow (22) & LoT (13 episodes; or an episode order that isn’t a full season but a max of maybe 16?)
    THURSDAY: Supernatural (22) & Riverdale — if it gets renewed!!! (22 episodes — a teen drama not having a full season is just stupid imo, especially if the show takes place during the school year)
    FRIDAY: The Originals (13 episodes but maybe a full season, though I doubt it) or a new series

MONDAY: Jane the Virgin & iZombie
    TUESDAY: Supergirl & The Flash
    WEDNESDAY: Arrow & The 100
    THURSDAY: Supernatural & Riverdale — if it gets renewed, of course —
    FRIDAY: New series & New series

This is taking in consideration that Frequency and No Tomorrow will both be cancelled, of course. And I didn’t include Reign cause I’m pretty sure the upcoming season is going to be the last.

39. Jeffrey E Holmes says:

The 100 is an excellent show. So is izombie, and THE ORIGINALS, IT would be a mistake to cancel those shows. If you did or do I would leas the. Petition to #caancelthecw

40. BlittleU says:

I am so happy about the renewal for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It’s the lowest rated Network show I watch so I thought it might be a goner. Thank goodness for award recognition…and CW’s new fall shows tanking.

41. Spence says:

In shock about Crazy Ex, the best kind of shock!!! Crazy Ex and Jane the Virgin are both phenomenal!

42. Mark says:

As a DCVerse addict, I’m thrilled that all four will be back next season!

43. Laura Markl says:

My four shows I watch on the CW will be safe. SUPERGIRL, THE FLASH, ARROW, and DC LEGENDS OF TOMORROW.

44. Joe says:

They really should have cancelled Crazy ex-girlfriend. I’m pretty sure it’s not doing very well in the ratings department and it didn’t get a “back 9 order”.

45. Max says:

I hope this means we’ll get more episodes of Tyler Hoechlin as Superman on Supergirl or perhaps a spinoff (fingers crossed).

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Greg Berlanti said about Superman:
      “There’s no plan to do a series. There are no plans at the moment for him to return [to Supergirl].”
      Mark Pedowitz said about Superman:
      “I can’t even answer the question yet because at this time there are no plans to do it and there have been no discussions about it,”

• Thanks, that’s great news. I’m in the minority when it comes to Superman. I don’t want him back. Superman doesn’t need sidekicks on his shows but Supergirl can barely stand on her own. Between Clark and The Guardian, there are too many male superheroes crowding the stage. Kara should be able to manage her city on her own.

• Lex says:

Amen. The fun, occasional cameo for a team-up is okay… but I’m a little worried about Guardian. Thrilled James gets something to do, but like you said… why can’t Kara save the day by herself? Or with Alex… I absolutely adore the Danvers sisters! Alex is the real badass even though Kara’s Supergirl… but she’s a cupcake! They work together in a way the Lance sisters never did because they were both trying to be the badass instead of complimenting each other. And may I say I’m loving the inclusion of Maggie? In another thread someone was complaining about it preaching the “gay agenda,” to which I say hell yes– everyone’s a little bi-curious, and it’s wonderful!

46. ninergrl6 says:

I love that The CW makes these announcements early. Gives us fans, as well as the cast and crew, peace of mind. I’m particularly happy for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath for No Tomorrow.

47. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Nice I didn’t have to wait until May to find out if Supergirl was renewed. It was really getting annoying to see all the other shows getting renewed, or at least word they were getting cancelled, while Supergirl was in limbo week after week last season.

48. Jon says:

Happy Supernatural gt renewed for S13 , like to see the Winchesters: Dean,Sam &Mary fights demons for another season

49. The Flash, check!
    Supernatural, check!
    Jane the Virgin, check!
    Supergirl, check!

All is right with my world :)

50. Andrea says:

I was overexcited to see that Supernatural would be back for Season 13 This is my favorite
    series-and the whole cast is beyond wonderful the acting is great- There have been many episodes that have a “real” feel – Thanks for making this fan very happy-