The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

Vampire Diaries Boss Warns of Another 'Painful' Death Coming in 2017

We hope you didn’t waste all of your tears on Tyler Lockwood, because he’s about to get some company in Vampire Diaries Heaven.

When TVLine asked if Tyler was the last major character fans would have to say goodbye to before the series wraps on March 10, executive producer Julie Plec merely replied, “Nope.” When pressed for more information, she simply offered unpleasant adjectives like “painful” and “terrible.”

While death has always been woven into the CW drama’s fabric, can we really afford to lose any more characters from the pile of dwindling fan-favorites? (Depending on where Alaric’s upcoming crossover to The Originals falls timeline-wise, he could be one of the only safe bets to survive the series.)

Speaking of death, we can expect plenty of carnage from Stefan now that Cade’s newest man servant has flipped his humanity switch.

“Stefan’s never been good with temptation while in ripper mode,” Plec reminds us. “We know from past experience that Stefan has a threshold, and it’ll be Damon’s job to monitor his brother and make sure he stays on the good side of that threshold. If he crosses it, there’s a risk of losing him forever.”

Wait, now Damon is responsible for keeping Stefan from losing control? (Good luck with that.)

TVD fans, which character(s) are you worried might not live to see the series finale? And what are your general hopes for the final run of episodes? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Jen says:

Clearly its Bonnie. Ptherwise how would Damon and elena reunite. This one was easy.

• Sara says:

Can it please be all of them and can Bonnie do it? Let her burn them all up and drive away in Damon’s car with a little smirk on her face.

• Hallie says:

First off it is the last season and in the final episode so at that point JP doesn’t care who lives or dies the death will be someone huge ( minus aleric which we know is in the originals set a few years in the future, I doubt it will be Caroline). I know the obvious choice is Bonnie but I don’t think so besides it is to predictiable the whole season seems to be setting it up as one of the salvator’s will die and I believe it will be Stefan on some level it makes sense there has to be some finale to the show and JP has said several times that the vampire diaries is stefans story so it only makes sense it would end with Stefan. I knew Tyler was just the warm up and all the talk about how Stefan is the reason all these people lives are messed up I am pretty sure Stefan is the death

• Hallie says:

Why are you so sure they will reunite

• Bob Wood says:

Its already been confirmed that Chris Wood is going to appear as Kia who placed the curse on Bonnie and Elena, so its possible Kia will lift the curse and maybe Bonnie will live.

• Selena says:

Hard to believe that Kia is coming back.Damon cut his head off.Just to far fetched.

• Samantha Hall says:

Julie Plec is known for bringing characters back from the dead and especially since Kai is magical and put such an unbreakable curse on Elena and Bonnie I dont think its far fetched at all.

• Kelly says:

She brought the original which back from the dead twice.Once in TVD and again in The Originals, so it’s very possible.

2. Stacey says:

I just hope Bonnie, Enzo, Caroline, and Elena stay alive. I don’t care about the rest.

3. Stacey says:

Still think they’ll find a loophole so that both Bonnie and Elena can live at the same time. They always do, esp. if ND decides to come back.

• That’s what I think, too. My guess is 50/50 Enzo or Stephen leaving either Bonnie or Caroline (and we fans) without their happy ending. If it’s Damon who dies the whole of S8 will be a waste.

• Ma says:

I agree fully!!! This show is about Damon and Elena more than anyone else!! But why not let all the original friends live and be happy!!!

• Gurl wot says:

BS. It’s about Defan, even though we had a lot of Dulena shoved down our throats, it was nevah about that awful couple

• Sara says:

This show is not about DE, only the DElusionals think that.

• Hallie says:

seriously the show is not now or ever been about delena or any ship good or bad JP has said from the begining many times that the show is Stefan’s story it is about him wether Nina comes back or not is irrelevant

• Stacey says:

I agree. I hope Damon gets redemption and reunites with Elena if possible. I would be fine with Stefan dying, he is by far my least favorite character. Hope Bonnie and Enzo get their happy ending and Caroline gets her freedom and can escape MF and travel the globe.

• Selena says:

Don’t understand your thoughts or reasons.The show has always been about Damon and Stefan.Yes it’s also been about there love lifes,but more about brotherhood than anything else.If you don’t get that then you need to re-watch the shows.

• Michon says:

Agreed!

• donna says:

Bonnie gets turned into a vampire and she and Enzo live happily ever after. Elena wakes up. Boom…

• Stacey says:

I hope! Guess that wasn’t an option right away because Bonnie use to despise vampires and would not have her magic anymore if turned, though she doesn’t have it right now either, lol.

• Hannah says:

That’s what i was thinking too. She has no magic, and is clearly not getting it back anytime soon. Chances are something major happens to her, and Enzo saves her by turning her into a vampire. She dies, therefore Elena wakes up and i don’t know about the rest. Plec promised a happy ending in TVD fashion, so i’m hoping everything works out between the brothers and their relationships.

• Selena says:

I would love to see a happy ending for everyone, but don’t see that happening.Would love for Stefan and Caroline to go save Klaus. Matt to go be with Rebecca. Bonnie and Enzo stay in Paris. Most of all Damon realize he can be happy without Elena for the next 60 years while Bonnie lives out her life with Enzo as a mortal.

• Tonya Thistle says:

They could do exactly that because Bonnie could become a vampire there for breaking the spell because her human life would be over but her Immortal Life would begin

• Pamela says:

If Bonnie becomes a vampire to be with Enzo can’t Elena come back?

• Lisa says:

Sure Hope they do and keep the entire original group of friends alive. Still hope some how some way there are future episode’s and Tyler comes back to life too. Anything is possible. 😊

• Jade Cermet says:

I agree and think there are two ways: 1. Kai returns from ‘hell’ or whatever and he undoes the spell, or 2. Kai was a Gemini witch, Alaric’s twins are also Gemini witches, albeit siphons. Remember all the times Bonnie was used to undo a Bennett spell? The twins could siphon magic and be used to undo Kai’s spell.

4. Ari says:

Tyler deserved better. I can’t believe people cried over the totally unemotional way they killed him off. I say that as a Tyler Lockwood hater as well so you know they effed it up. Bonnie is going to die so Elena can resurrect to bore us once again.

• Elizabeth says:

Agree with everything you said. Tyler def deserved better and Elena was boring and very whiny

• occheermommy says:

Thank u. I was so happy when Elena departed. I’m so tired of the world around Elena. I kinda hope she doesn’t come back because the show is better without her. I haven’t seen season 8 because I wasn’t caught up and I have to find the start of the season now. But I think they should kill off Damon at the end. Since the show is over anyway it would tie everyone else up in a happily ever after package. I love damons character don’t get me wrong but it would be a fitting end to their nauseating affair. Maybe she could wake from vampire Bonnie’s turning and Elena would be heartbroken. I’m so cruel

• Selena says:

I hate that any of the original characters had to die.I just hope now that Stefan is going to be human again that they don’t pair Stefan back with Elena.I want Caroline and Stefan to have there June wedding. Stefan an Caroline have had more loving history together.Plus hope Bonnie can forgive Stefan for Enzo’s death.

5. Jess says:

Neither of the female characters. I’m tired of girls getting killed off of TV shows for shock value or to give the male characters something to be upset about. I wouldn’t mind if either Stefan or Enzo or Matt died.

• Sam says:

yeah only female mains die across both shows with TO. Tyler being the first. Jeremy and Alaric being undone.

Hope Damon and Stefan die.

6. Rita says:

As long as it isn’t Damon

7. Dmac says:

Maybe Elena will die. It would be a tragic way to end the series, but Julie like tragic.

8. Ellie says:

…did …anyone waste tears on Tyler?

9. Muriel says:

They better not kill Matt!

• Stacey says:

I think he’s safe, JP adores him! I don’t see her killing him off or turning him.

• Selena says:

From watching several com a cons it’s going to be Damon and Stefan that die.Will be last show and they are going to take off their rings together and go out in flames.

10. Alycia says:

Since Alaric’s most likely safe, it should be Enzo or Damon (Julie Plec doesn’t have the backbone and loves him too much) but anyway… Or both brothers. Or Elena. But definitely not Bonnie or Caroline and even Matt the irrelevant considering they haven’t even lived enough of their lives yet (same as Tyler) but I’d be okay will Elena dying… She’d be better off dead than with Damon Salvatore for the rest of her life.

11. They’ll probably bring Jeremy back just to kill him off the way they did Tyler. In order for Bonnie to “be with Enzo forever” she’ll have to die and come back a vamp like her Mom did. That will be the loophole for Elena to come back.

• bobbysgurl says:

Kai said NO loopholes or both Bonnie and Elena would die. If that was the only way for Elena to come back, they could have done that the very first moment they realized what Kai had done.

Turn Bonnie. Bonnie drinks the cure from Elena to become human again. Elena and Damon could have been together all this time.

If they do it now, it would be STUPID. Oh, I forgot. TVD is STUPID.

12. The most painful part about Tyler’s death was the awful way he was written out.

• Stacey says:

So true! And that Matt was the only one that truly mourned him. I expected way more of a reaction from Caroline, with him being her first love.

13. joncuriel says:

Pretty sure it’s Bonnie, although it could be Enzo and Matt too.

14. YestoKylie says:

Please let it be Caroline…

15. Nemo says:

Hopefully it will be Damon :D
    but I think it’s going to be Stefan :(
    and I’m little bit scared it could be Enzo :/

16. Ma says:

If they don’t reunite Elena and Damon the past 8 yrs of this show has been for nothing! Will be a very big let down! Let all the close friends live !!! Find a loop hole so Bonnie can live and Elena wake up and have her ever after with Damon!!!
    Question?? When Katherine took the cure why did it make her old?? Somehow I missed that! So why wouldn’t Elena die as well???
    All Damon ever wanted was for someone to love him truely love him!! It was always his brother! Plz let him get the girl let him have Elena!! Their love story has been the best in yrs! My opinion!

• Stacey says:

I would be fine with Delena, you guys deserve your endgame. When Katherine initially took the cure she became a 18 (or however old she was) human again. She only turned old when Silas sucked the cure from her system. She gradually got older and older since she had been around for 500 years. If Damon sucked the cure from Elena, she would age those few years she was a vampire, so like to 20, and Damon would turn human. I’m not sure what would happen if she was sleeping 60 years. I guessing it should still be okay for Damon to drink the cure from her since Kai’s spell is like suspended animation.

• Gurl wot says:

So tired of the entitlement of Delena fans. Get over yourselves, it was never the delena diaries. Idgaf about them

• Stacey says:

I’m not a Delena fan either but I think it will be endgame. The fanbase is huge and makes up a good percentage of TVD fans. If they can’t get ND though, all bets are off.

• Bambii says:

Not really like it will matter if that percentage of the fanbase gets pissed at the fact that they wouldn’t be endgame, the show would be over. Personally I feel like since it’s the last season, they can do whatever the hell they want, since they won’t have to worry about future ratings.

• Sara says:

I’m going to laugh hysterically when there’s no De endgame.

• Cyd Taylor says:

Katherine got old because the Cure was sucked out of her and she begin to age back all the years since she became a vampire when it gets sucked out of Elena’s she will only age a couple of years

• Selena says:

Katherine was 500 years old so her body was catching up with her.Elena has only been a vampire for 3 years,rhats why she won’t die from old age.

17. Hilary Cummings says:

Bonnie will be the one to die. If Elena is coming back at the end….Bonnie will have to die in order for Elena to resurrect due to their connected curse. I’m thinking since Bonnie and Enzo are so madly in love and obviously couldn’t be together forever w/him being a vampire and her being human……..I bet Bonnie will turn into a vampire thus her “human” body dying which could aid in Elena waking up.

18. Dominique says:

i think it’s too much of an “easy” way out for elena if bonnie were to die. yet i wouldn’t put it past plec&co.
    but i’m worried it’ll be either caroline or enzo. they might off enzo because they view him as the least important character (and we all know what they do with characters as soon as they deem them unimportant). caroline would be a massive blow, and might be what would bring stefan back.

19. Cristian says:

Please Stefan… But I think it’s gonna be Enzo because Bonnie can’t be happy for that long :(

20. Leah says:

Nina has not filmed a scene yet for season eight and there’s only a couple more to film. She also has a movie to promote in January. Doubt it would be Bonnie MID season then, maybe Enzo. All those waiting for an in depth, huge Delena reunion and wedding are running out of time and luck.

• Stacey says:

You’re right, it will have to be a short scene with ND, recycled footage, or a body double being shot from behind if they want a Delena reunion. It’s down to the wire at this point.

21. Liza says:

They’ll find a loophole to the Sleepy Beauty curse so both Bonnie and Elena can live at the same time. Enzo’s death would have little impact on anyone but Bonnie so I think he’s safe. Plec loves Matt too much to kill him. They won’t kill Caroline. Alaric’s not important enough…It’s definitely going to be one of the brothers. Either Damon will sacrifice himself in a “heroic” manner to save everyone and find redemption, or Stefan will die saving Damon and we’ll get some bs with him finding peace in death.

• Stacey says:

I completely agree! I’m leaning more towards Stefan so JP can make the Delena fans happy. But who knows, maybe both will die. That’s what PW has been saying the last few years is his ultimate ending.

• Ma says:

That makes sense ! Elena won’t wake up for years so Damon protects Stefan and than dies!
      Also in previous it shows Damon trying to saving Bonnie and carrying her away! Was that from a different season or season 8???

22. Quinn says:

I think it’s Stefan. There’s just no coming back from a second bout of “Ripper life”. It might be the key to making Damon pull his head out of his arse once and for all and get his act together, start acting like a genuine human being again and be with Elena when she awakens.
    I also hope Bonnie finds end game happiness with Enzo and that Caroline finally gets her freedom from being passed around by every male character on the show. Oh yeah….spare Matt. He’s still one of the few anchors or normalcy on the show.

23. Brenda says:

I want to see all the characters that are left get a happy ending. All characters have suffered tremendous loss during the course of this show and they deserve to be happy.

• Ma says:

I do too! Over the years we have loved them all! I bet Caroline will live and go be with klaus on the originals! And honestly it’s sounding more like Katherine will be back and not Elena!
      From the moment Elena first met Damon there was a big attraction! She loved Stefan but she adored Damon with her heart , soul and mind! He her also! If they don’t reunite them I won’t watch another jule show ever!!! This show has been tragic all along end it with Elena finally being happy with Damon , Bonnie an Enzo, Matt finding someone ! I also bet Stefan goes to the originals!

• Selena says:

I think Caroline is going to Originals to save Klaus.Remember Klaus told Caroline Tylor would be her first love but, he would be her last.Hope Matt goes to Originals to be Rebecca’s love and Alaric and twins to be with Freya.

24. Jason says:

Bonnie and Enzo are the most in danger, I would say. There is an obvious flaw in their intense and likely star-crossed connection to each other. Her humanity means a tragic end to their romance, be it now or many years in the future.

25. Andre says:

I think it will be Bonnie, but I would truly love for Enzo and Bonnie to have the life that both of them deserve. Yes, I would like to see Elena come back but Bonnie is the one who always has to sacrifice.

• Stacey says:

That’s the reason I don’t think it will be her or Enzo. They already killed her off multiple times, so why do so again. Plus Enzo seems too obvious a choice and his death wouldn’t affect anyone but Bonnie. Hopefully JP will let them be and give them a happy ending. They both deserve one.

26. Mona says:

I hope it’s Damon. He deserves a slow painful death. It also makes sense bc once he’s dead the other people around him can have a nice happy ending, Stefan wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore, Elena can wake up and date a nice human guy. Everyone is happy.

• Nemo says:

I couldn’t agree more! Damon is constantly blaming Stefan for his vampirism so if he doesn’t want to be one, die already ^^

27. Julia says:

I hope Damon is the death. To me, Damon dying is the only way for him to find redemption.

28. TJ says:

Bonnie used the term “forever” with Enzo. Will they have him turn her, giving them forever and allowing Elena to return?

I half expect Damon and Stefan to go out in a blaze of glory and give neither a happy ending.

29. Phoebssss says:

My guess is it will be one of the salvatore brothers. Could be Damon, since TVD started with Stefan’s voice over saying this was his story? But it could be Stefan thinking back on his life in his final moments before he dies. It’s the most painful and terrible thing for one of the main actors to die. Either that or Elena dies. I don’t think it will be Bonnie.

30. theresa lentner says:

I would love to see Elena come back considering the story started with her. So I understand why the show has to end in that sense. It’s just a shame
    I certainly hope that the Originals says on because honestly it is the only reason we watch the CW. All of the superhero shoes are overkill

31. Kathy says:

Damon & Elena must over come all the obstacles put in their path to finally find the happiness they have been fighting for. It would truly (suck) if after all they have gone through love would not prevail. Hope all crossover to Originals

32. Ben says:

I feel like whoever dies will do it to sacrifice for someone else.

33. Maria says:

If anyone has to die then I would prefere either Stefan or Enzo

34. Ma says:

Any idea if the cast or producers see our comments?? Or do they just ignore the fans feelings and ideas and do what they want???

35. Selena says:

Bonnie is one that will die I also think Enzo.Feel from watching some com a con interviews also Stefan and Damon on last show. I’m holding my crocodile tears until then.

36. 1927 Bugatti Girl says:

I think it would be great if Vampire Diaries ended with Elena waking up and EVERYONE else being dead. Then, she would have to read their diaries to find out what happened.

37. Selena says:

Bonnie of course,but also Enzo.Enzo will die trying to save Bonnie. From watching interviews from some of the com a cons Stefan and Damon. Saving my real tears for the finale.

38. Oncer says:

Please not Bonnie, she has suffered more than anyone else on the show, and not Caroline.
    I don’t want any of the current characters to die, i’d rather it be Elena, the show is about Stefan and Damon anyway, Elena was the least interesting character.

39. Elle says:

As long as Damon and Elena survive and reunite they can kill anyone else they like

40. Lisa Fabian says:

Enough is enough. Leave the original group of friends in tact for possible future reuniting. We can never get enough Vampire Diaries. Hint hint.

41. Ma says:

From things Ian has said in some of his interviews hed love for Elena to wake up and not remember anything just certain parts and live a long healthy life! And the two brothers take their rings off and die!! BUT I’m praying that doesn’t happen! I just want to see all the main characters alive and with their soul mates!
    We need the ending we’ve all been waiting for since episode 1!!!
    Please don’t end it like SOA!!! End more like Friday night lights!!!
    This show has gotten me through 4 yrs of cancer with my dad That I lost, having surgery and never being able to ride horses and barrel race again !!! I’m sure this show has helped others get through things in life! That’s why I loved the love story with Damon and Elena!! Took me out of reality for awhile!
    Band besides they have to wake Elena up or there won’t be closure and if Damon dies she won’t be able to go on look what happened to her before!

• Love,Frances says:

SOA that ending ticked me off to no end. While I was happy mom Got shot
      Him driving into the truck is dad’s motorcycle was stupid. He could’ve easily left and started a new life. Was he that stupid? Was he that out of control but he couldn’t control himself and his outlaw tendencies?
      Nero and his poor 1st wife gave him options.

42. Eler says:

With comments like “terrible” Caroline comes to mind. She’ll be the hardest to loose at this point. Or Bonnie or Enzo…

43. Emma Sproule says:

As long as it is not Damon or Stefan really dont care about the rest of them

44. Robin Williams says:

Matt needs a happy ending! Jeremy perhaps?
    Hoping not👎 Please leave us happily satisfied we’ve given you 8 years of loyalty we need to see them at peace and happy! Do it for the fans The actors can suck it up and make it work… The fans deserve it because of our dedication and watching the show through the latter seasons that were sometimes tough to watch we helped their careers to flourish 🙃

45. Love,Frances says:

There’s been a rumor that she’s not even going to make an appearance at the end of the season. That her appearance is going to be like a vision or a dream.

46. Linda Hale says:

Think Bonnie will die, which will bring Aleina back, but she’ll be a vampire so we will really not lose Bonnie.

47. Michon says:

Damon, if he left I feel the show would be such a bore. So plz keep him, Stephen, Bonnie and Caroline. And definitely bring back Elaina.

48. Stacey says:

Lol, crossover with Supernatural. The Winchesters come in and wipe out the Sirens, Cade, and Salvatores. They find a way to wake up Elena and let Enzo, Bonnie, and Caroline go, but keep tabs on them. Matt becomes a fanboy and asks them to teach him their ways. And Elena falls in love with Dean and Sam, lol.

49. sheila myers says:

FYI it is Damon
    Inside tip

• Ma says:

How do you know???

• Ma says:

If it is Damon than I’m done! The show was ruined when Elena went off and I really hoped for their reunion! I won’t be watching the last episodes not worth my time!

• Lauren says:

Same!! Damon is the heart and soul of the entire show. No way can they take out Damon AND Elena, and they can’t have Elena wake up and Damon not be there! Just doesn’t make sense. I really doubt that they would kill him off. People were already mad when Nina Dobrev left and they would be even madder if Damon died. It would not be a good move for the show.

• Ma says:

I’ve always felt bad for him all he wanted was to be loved! Both his parents choose Stefan, Katherine and finally one girl loves him back that she’d rather die without him and they kill her. She was his life! So why can’t they just let them be together?? It’s the end of the show end it right!!!

• maria says:

Could not agree more. If damon dies, there wont be nobody left to wattch. The Show would be a total bore and no way can the rest of the actors pull of the show, without damon, there all playing of off Damon/Ian

50. Dawn says:

Bonnie will die I’m sure…