“Olicity” ‘shippers, the news out of Arrow‘s San Diego Comic-Con panel on Saturday was… good and bad?
“It’s still a partnership,” executive producer Wendy Mericle said of the exes’ dynamic, adding that they will pick up on the same “ambiguous” note they left off on in the Season 4 finale. From there, “You will find out some more right around Episode 5.”
Star Stephen Amell heralded “a really dynamic scene” that the former couple shares in the Season 5 opener. “We speak to each other as equals, as team members,” he shared. “It’s pretty clear that Oliver loves Felicity, but I don’t know if they’re going to be together [romantically].”
Co-Star Emily Bett Rickards also noted that the characters’ communication as teammates is “getting stronger.” And outside of her dynamic with Oliver, Felicity is “dealing with a lot of bottled up emotions” and “holding onto this guilt” over the deaths in Havenrock, Rickards previewed.
Other highlights from the panel:
* Season 5’s Big Bad will be Prometheus – but he’s not to be confused with the one from Justice League. The new foe “fits into the theme of legacy,” EP Marc Guggenheim said.
* Oliver will go back to his original mission to protect Star City, but he’ll be failing on that front as mayor. “What a garbage mayor he is,” Amell exclaimed. “He’s terrible. And he’s terrible because there’s no team.” While Oliver is focusing on fighting crime as a vigilante, it’s actually Thea “carrying all the water as mayor.” The actor also expressed his desire to see the elder Queen rediscover the principals that led him to run for office and earned him a large write-in vote. In the comics, “He had a point of view and an ideology. I think all of those things would be interesting to explore” in the future, Amell added.
* Lance has “more demons haunting him and [is] trying to pick up the pieces of his lost family,” Paul Blackthorne shared.
* Diggle is working with Special Forces in Chechnya. “He misses the team,” David Ramsey noted, but Dig is also still dealing with his guilt over Laurel’s death and having to kill his brother.
* “We have some pretty big plans for Curtis, especially with respect to his marriage,” Guggenheim previewed. “He wants to become a vigilante and start fighting crime. At the same time, he’s got this husband at home who’s probably going to start to notice he’s coming home with these bruises and cuts.”
* The show’s milestone 100th episode will be the middle part of the four-show crossover with Supergirl, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.
* Katie Cassidy will return in Episode 501 – and, as already reported, has been made a series regular across Arrow, The Flash and Legends.
Arrow Season 5 premieres Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 8/7c on The CW.