Longtime Daily Show scribe/correspondent Wyatt Cenac — who recently made waves after detailing a rocky relationship with Jon Stewart — will next turn his attention to The Group, TBS’ upcoming comedy pilot in which he will star.
The Group — which counts Conan O’Brien and Greg Daniels (The Office, Parks and Recreation) among its executive producers — focuses on skeptical journalist Wyatt Jones (Cenac), who investigates a support group for people who believe they have been abducted by aliens. The more he digs into the oddballs’ claims, however, the more confused, intrigued and seduced he becomes.
The cast also includes Oscar Nuñez (The Office), Ana Gasteyer (Saturday Night Live) and Alice Wetterlund (Silicon Valley). Find full character descriptions below:
* Cenac as Wyatt Jones, a curious, accomplished and serious-minded staff journalist in the town of Beacon who finds himself pulled into the fringe world of alien abductees, or “experiencers,” as they like to be called
* Gasteyer as Gina Morrison, a very competent, dedicated and thorough therapist who has taken a few wrong turns in life, lost her accreditation and is now running a support group for alien abductees while also working part-time at a home-furnishings chain store
* Nuñez as Father Doug, a “hip” priest who manages the community-room rentals at Our Lady of Sorrows in Beacon
* Wetterlund as Kelly Grady, a goofball who doesn’t know quite how attractive she actually is, and a perpetual temp who perpetually dates perpetual jerks
* Luka Jones (Up All Night) as Gerry Johnson, an amiable social dropout, tollbooth worker and enthusiastic expert on all things alien
* Tracee Chimo (Orange Is the New Black) as Chelsea Healey, a strange, high-strung soul in the body of the model housewife who is hiding something much darker and weirder
* Da’Vine Joy Randolph (Selfie) as Yvonne Watson, one of the more successful door-to-door cosmetic salespeople on the Eastern seaboard
* Marylouise Burke (Hung) as Margaret Flood, a retiree who is taking full advantage of her newfound sexual freedom after moving into a retirement community in Beacon
Your thoughts on The Group and its colorful cast of characters? Drop ’em in a comment below.