Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Season 12: New Male Doc Poised to Check In

Grey's Anatomy Season 12

McDreamy 2.0?

In the wake of Patrick Dempsey’s surprise departure from Grey’s Anatomy, ABC’s still-durable medical soap is looking to add a major new male presence in Season 12, TVLine has learned exclusively.

According to fresh casting intel, Shonda Rhimes & Co. are searching for a “name” actor in his late 30s to late 40s to portray the series-regular role of a doctor. Among the requirements of said performer: He must be good-looking, charismatic and believable as a surgeon.

Rhimes acknowledged back in April that “the entire Grey’s Anatomy family” is entering “uncharted territory as we head into this new” post-Derek era, adding that, “The possibilities for what may come are endless. As Ellis Grey would say: the carousel never stops turning.”

So, which available actor should jump on the Grey Sloan carousel? Peruse our gallery of suggestions below, and then hit the comments with your own casting tips!

1. Bianca says:

John Stamos would be a great fit, but I assume he’s already too busy as he can be right now

2. Mary Kate says:

Honestly I’m just going with whatever in regards to Greys now after this season. I just hope they don’t try to make this a potential love interest immediately without a substantial amount of time passing. I’m not interesting in seeing Meredith with anyone else for a long time.

• Julie says:

Keep in mind that a year has already gone by in GA land. I had a hard time remembering that the last few eps. :) I hope I’ll never be in the position to know what a substantial amount of time is in this situation but I’d imagine it’s at least that long. I’m with you though. I’ve been a loyal viewer since the first episode. I’m still pissed that Derek was killed off and not sure I like this post-Mer-Der era. But I’ll keep watching, at least for now.

• Elle Coble says:

Fully agree. It’ll feel too unnatural (despite the amount of time that’s passed in Grey’s); like they’re pairing Meredith off just to give her a love interest.

Owen getting with Amelia felt a little forced and too soon after Christina left.

3. Noa says:

If only Mark Feuierstein (sp?) wasn’t busy with Royal Pains…

4. Frankie says:

As if 13 characters aren’t enough,. time to add another series regular! And possibly more, you never know with those interns we saw at the end of the season, or what other love interests the show may add for all the single docs on the show.
    Grey’s Anatomy is not ER. This carousel is owned and operated by Meredith Grey. When she walks, it stops turning.

• why bother since the viewers are still pissed at shonda so why shove another character down their throat as a replacement that she needed not to kill.

• rowenamck says:

I still think it was the only way to write out Derek permanently in a believable way. Though it’s just rumors, it sounded like there was tension between Dempsey and Rhimes and we all know how she handles the characters those people play. I won’t deny that it does make for a good story in the end, but it does suck when favorite characters get written off with no chance for return.

• Julie says:

I think his EW interview pretty much said there was tension. He wanted a flexible schedule, she wrote him out in a way that left no room for return. I think it was believable to keep him in DC but Im sure the dilemma they had was what to do with Meredith if Derek was alive and well offscreen. I don’t know if id be as pissed if they hadn’t alreaady killed off characters that I loved (ahem, Mark and Lexie).

• aph1976 says:

I agree that killing Derek was the only way to write him off permanently because he would never truly abandon Meredith and their kids.Yeah Derek could have lived in Washington D.C. but that would have limited Meredith in certain ways because fans wouldn’t accepted her been with someone else while Derek was still alive.

• radmcawesome says:

Derek’s dead. Get over it. The episodes after his death were some of the best in a while. It’s the first time we couldn’t guess which direction the characters are going.

Weren’t you getting tired of the whole Mer and Der want different things, they fight, things are weird between them until they make up – not because they resolved anything but because of the post it?

The show is called Grey’s Anatomy not the Mcdreamy Adventures of Derek Shepherd – Avenge His Death!

On a side note, I don’t see the point of adding a new character but I trust Rhonda.

• jadensgranny says:

I agree and I couldn’t be happier for Patrick with his racing career. He had wanted out at least the past 2 years. He is full filling his life’s dream.

• Elle Coble says:

Absolutely. Some of the best acting we’ve seen from Pompeo, especially. And Scorsone was so friggin awesome.

It was a well written arc – well executed too – I mean, the music, the flashbacks. C’mon.

5. Krystan says:

I vote Scott speedman!
    Mark Feurstein (sp?) Would be amazing.

6. Al says:

The show’s biggest flaw is having too much characters, get rid of Steph, Jo, and 1 more character. Focus on the core group.

Bring back past doc too
    (Teddy, Christina, Addison, Hahn)

• rowenamck says:

Steph and Jo have really grown on me, but what I think they need to do is not actually bring in more interns (or like, they can be there but not really as much a part of things, like the nurses on the show).

• abz says:

I too have warmed up to Stephanie and Jo, but I liked how things were the year Lexie came in with the interns. Minimal focus on the interns with only Lexie being heavily featured for obvious reasons.

• abz says:

Ew. Definitely no to Hahn. TERRIBLE character! However, I’m with you on the other suggestion. Loved Teddy, Cristina, and Addison. Doubt Sandra Oh would be willing to right now. Kate Walsh and Katherine Heigl’s shows were both cancelled. Would love to see them return.

• A.M says:

I know ae , Hahn will forever be one of the worst characters on Greys…thank goodness she’s gone

• Kelly says:

I agree! I did not like Hahn at all. I loved Teddy and Addison. I don’t Christina will be back for awhile.

• Tony says:

You say the show has too many characters, yet you want to bring back a bunch of past doctors? That makes absolutely no sense.

• abz says:

With this new character, we have to spend so much time getting to know them and their backgrounds and personality, etc. At least with a returning character a lot of history is already there. Viewers know it. The core characters know it.

• radmcawesome says:

Steph and Jo are integral to the plot now. I’ve grown to really like them.

What’s the point complaining about too many characters when you want to add 4 more lol

And Hahn? She’s too unlikable to even mention. She didn’t have chemistry with anyone – let alone Callie.

7. Lindsay says:

How about bring back Kate Walsh and Benjamin Bratt?

• Kate Walsh and Benjamin Bratt would be great, loved them in Private Practice.

• How about Katherine Heigl and Danny Pino while We’re mentioning people NBC gave up on too soon for one reason or another?

• A.M says:

Katherine Heigl NO!

• Terry says:

Yes, to Danny Pino aka Nick from Law & Order SVU aka Scotty from Cold Case, that’s some fine eye candy right there!
          No, to the other person you mentioned, just no.

• gemini says:

Danny Pino sounds perfect for the role as described but would he want to join another show facing its “end of days?” Non-network television is where it’s at these days. Grittier, more compelling, risk-taking, better written. He said he wanted “to spread his wings.” Going from cop to doctor isn’t spreading them too far.

• rowenamck says:

I would love to see Addison back and with Derek’s death, even though a year has passed, it would be a plausible excuse to bring her back. I didn’t have any interest in Private Practice so I’m not familiar with Benjamin Bratt’s character, but I like him as an actor.

• Sina Lynn says:

I loved Addison but pediatrics is covered with Arizona and Alex. Benjamin Bratt would be great!

• jph_gsg says:

Good thing Addison isn’t a pediatric surgeon…

• Pedro says:

Addison is a board certified OB/GYN, subspecializing in maternal-fetal medicine (perinatology), a neonatal surgeon (one of the foremost in the country) and a medical geneticis.

She is not a pediatric surgeon.

8. rowenamck says:

I would LOVE to see Ioan Gruffudd and with Forever having been cancelled, he’s likely on the market for a new role.

• Lauren says:

I love the idea of loan Guffudd! Scott Foley would also be awesome.

• I completely agree since we can’t have Ioan Gruffudd on Forever.

• L. says:

No, no, nope! Holding out for Forever to get picked up by someone else. (Netflix, Hulu, TNT, ANYone) France is only part of the way through last season and it’s their number 1 show with 10% of the country tuning in. It also did well in the UK, and didn’t have horrible numbers here. (8 mil average including DVR, even with ABC’s bad handling) It’s said that WB is currently shopping it, so here’s hoping!

9. Kate says:

Why not focus on the characters they already have instead of adding new ones?

10. Fernanda says:

Between your suggestions I could choose: Scott Speedman, Patrick Wilson or Kris Polaha. But I remember the writers’ obsession about LOST and Shonda could choose some men of that cast like the one and only Jack Shepard, the amazing Matthew Fox. Josh Holloway, Nestor Carbonell, Daniel Dae Kim are on my list.

But I will put my money on Matthew Fox.

11. Sheryl says:

Ioan Gruffudd would be perfect.

12. Mary Bucklew says:

None of the above.

13. Becky says:

I would believe Charlie Hunnam as a doctor.

14. Tess says:

Matthew Goode…since he’s now departed The Good Wife. This would be a really “goode” move for Team Shonda.

Back-up would be a Scott Speedman pick.

• abz says:

I like Grey’s, but after The Good Wife I feel like it would be a step down for Matthew Goode. I’d much rather see him return to TGW than Grey’s.

• SW says:

Sadly, he’d be too busy for Grey’s. That’s why he left TGW. He’ll be too busy with Downton Abbey to do anything else. I would love to see him on Grey’s, though.

• A Fan of TV says:

But Downtown only has one more season. He’ll be done shooting it by the end of the summer at latest, no?

• Lauren says:

Matthew Goode, Ioan Gruffudd or Patrick Wilson (Scott Foley’s brother-in-law) would definitely keep me tuned in on Thursdays. Nice list, BTW.

15. DeeDee says:

I vote:

Ioan Gruffudd (Forever)

16. Maybe Ian or Scott Spedeman, Mathew needs to come back and marry Lady Mary and be happy together forever

17. Andrew says:

I don’t watch, but I always think these types of articles are fun: How about Casper Van Dien? He’s paid his dues, give him a break…:)

If not him, then maybe David Conrad from Ghost Whisperer?

I would think they would want someone who’s somewhat well-established (and not too young), but what do I know?

18. abz says:

Instead of adding this new character, Shonda should let her grudge go and move on and bring back Katherine Heigl for a guest arc (now that her show is cancelled) just like she did with Isaiah Washington. There’s already enough characters. No need for a new one. At least with Izzie if they bring her back, she’s not new and no need to spend too much time exploring her background because we already know a lot about her. They already spent so much time on Pierce this past season. Next season should focus a lot more on Callie, and Meredith, Alex, Amelia and Arizona. The rest of the cast can be focused on but it really should be to a lesser degree. I highly doubt the majority of viewers care about Bailey/Ben, let alone Bailey herself who has become a very unlikable at times and meh character. Same thing goes for Richard and Catherine. Does anyone care about them or their boring drama? I hope with her show being cancelled, they’d also consider bringing back Kate Walsh for an episode. Have her check in on Amelia and Callie (really miss that friendship).

• rowenamck says:

Izzie coming back would be great and it could throw a little bit of a wrench in Alex/Jo. He says he’s over all of that and everything but what would his reaction be to her actually being there. I don’t see this as likely to happen though.

• abz says:

Yeah there could be many drama-filled ways to have her return. She could want to use the eggs they preserved because she wants a baby. She could be the other candidate for chief (who knows how well she’s done the past 5 years wherever she’s been. They never really talk about her. Plus I’d only want to see that happen just to see the look on Bailey’s face. Priceless). Maybe one of the characters is travelling and something happens and they head to a hospital where Izzie is a top surgeon and they need her help. And many other ways I’m sure the show’s writers could come up with something interesting and creative if they tried.

• What does izzie/KH Have to do with finding new MALE lead?

19. Denise Rambo says:

This is the PERFECT place for Josh Duhamel! Add a little bit of Leo DuPres into his character and … OMG!

• rowenamck says:

I’m not too sure about him being convincing as a doctor though.. But I would be willing to give him a chance if he was cast.

• Ashbash says:

I would be all for Josh Duhmel as McDreamy 2.0. I might actually watch the show again I’ve been way too heaetbroken over them killing off Derek to finish the season

20. Tracy Black says:

Eric Mabius would be a good option. Ioan Gruffunds is too refined for Grey’s, don’t think he would be a good match. We need a Dr. Mc Lusty.

21. LC says:

Dylan McDermott! He’s free now that Stalker has been cancelled.

22. Sophie Carmichael says:

Yeah how about Benjamin Bratt!! He would be great. Or I would vote for Patrick Wilson or Ioan Gruffudd. Really mad they cancelled Forever anyway. One of my very favorite shows.

23. brianonrose says:

How about Sam Jaeger from parenthood? I miss him!

24. itssoowrong says:

Rob Lowe. Original McDreamy. At this point any male…..Too many tough females on this show.

• Josephine says:

Rob Lowe has a new show in the fall on Fox called The Grinder. So as much as I think he’s gorgeous he can’t do it.

25. aliciabtv says:

Matt Bomer mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• abz says:

He’s gonna be busy on the next American Horror Story. Plus he’s too good of an actor for Grey’s. He needs to lead another show of his own again someday. White Collar was great.

• herman1959 says:

Agreed, Matt Bomer is too good for this show, and the same goes for Ioan G. and Matthew Goode. Rob Lowe would be good, but he already has 2 shows coming up. Omar Epps has already played TV doctors for too long, and John Stamos would be perfect, but he’s busy elsewhere, so…let’s let Shonda worry about it!

26. Emily says:

Kris Polaha please.

27. Vanessa says:

John Krasinski

28. Allie says:

Michael Vartan

29. Jessie says:

JOSH HOLLOWAY

30. Cynthia says:

From your gallery, I’d like Ioan Gruffud or Matthew Goode (if he’s not too busy with Downton Abbey). If he could be lured back to a network series, I’d love to see Josh Charles. Jon Hamm would also be an interesting choice, maybe as a Mark Sloan type so that Jackson could have a new mentor. I also like the idea of bringing Addison back, with or without Benjamin Bratt.

31. Devin says:

Omar Epps! Yes!

• herman1959 says:

I agree, but Omar has spent half his career playing TV doctors (ER and House), so I doubt that he would be willing to do so again so soon…type casting, you know.

32. Nancy Boyles says:

Can’t imagine this show without the main actor, Dempsey! He was an asset to the show. Meredith too! I have great respect for the writers. Love the show.
    Nancy Boyles

33. Patty says:

I would love to see Patrick Wilson join the cast, but probably because I want to hear him sing with Sara Ramirez. I think they need to bring in an actor with a completely different edge to play a character who could really shake things up across the entire cast. Is Walton Goggins available?

34. Vanessa says:

Carlos Ponce

35. Here’s ABC’s big chance to again show NBC how you run a network. Bring back Katherine Heigl and bring in Danny Pino to be the new Doctor.

36. Tracy says:

Matt Bomer would have me returning ti Grey’s on Thursday’s ;-)

37. Charlie says:

Tom Welling!!! He should play the too-handsome for Meredith doctor!

38. Melissa says:

Ingo Rademacher, “Jax” from “General Hospital” would be awesome and so incredible to look at!!

39. Grey says:

Jamie Bamber would be an awesome choice

40. Walton would be a good fit..he could be that doctor who doesn’t follow the rules, always a little edgy but has the medical prowess of “House”…over the edge..and could sweep the ladies off their feet…

41. Josephine says:

Eric Mabius please!!! I would love to see Daniel Meade be a yummy doctor!! :-)

42. Babygate says:

Do all of these qualify as ‘name’ actors? Anywho, my only vote is for Eric Mabius who I loved in Ugly Betty and the Evil Resident movies.

43. Lisa Price says:

Scott Speedman!

44. Josephine says:

Chris Meloni would be awesome! Good god! Talk about HOT doctor.

• Reba42 says:

^This!

• Kathy A says:

Chris Meloni as the new Chief of Surgery.

Both Patrick Wilson and Jamie Bamber have played surgeons before (A Gifted Man and Monday Mornings, respectively – both of which were dumped on the discard pile too soon), so I think they could handle the role.

45. Josephine says:

How about Eric McCormack?? Eric McCormack or Chris Meloni or Eric Mabius would definitely make me tune in to Grey’s again!

46. CJ says:

John Cho or Jay Harrington would get my vote.

47. violet blue says:

Dylan McDermott

48. Deborah shaffett says:

I think Omar Epps and Kris Polaha would be good for the show.

49. Courtney says:

Scott Speedman would be amazing

50. margaretames says:

Loan Gruffudd…I loved him in Forever and he is HOT!