Exclusive

Mom Season 3: Who's In? Who's Out?

mom season 3 cast

Mom will be down one boyfriend — but up a girlfriend — for Season 3.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Spencer Daniels, who plays Violet’s baby daddy Luke, will not be a series regular when the comedy returns next fall. The change doesn’t come as a big surprise, as Daniels’ character did not appear in the final 14 episodes of Season 2, getting phased out after Violet gave her baby up for adoption.

Meanwhile, Beth Hall (AKA “Weeping Wendy”) has been promoted to series regular for Season 3, though she will not appear in every episode.

Hall recurred in Season 2 as Christy (Anna Faris) and Bonnie’s (Allison Janney) new friend from AA with a penchant for bursting into tears. The actress is best known for her role as Caroline, Roger Sterling’s assistant, on Mad Men.

In March, CBS announced that guest star Jaime Pressly would also be a series regular for Season 3; Pressly’s Jill is the super-wealthy pal who chooses Christy as a sponsor on her road to sobriety.

Excited about Wendy being a more regular part of the Mom mix? Sound off in the comments!

1. Colleeen says:

Love making her a regular for next season – she had some of the funnest moments with Allison Janney last season

2. Trish says:

Doesn’t even matter about “Mom” now – I’m not watching anymore since the producers killed off Bonnie’s ex. The ONLY healthy male in the show – and he’s dead. Makes one wonder. I STOPPED wondering. I love both lead actresses and the cast in general. But it’s not enough to keep me interested. To me, the show has failed to interject tragedy into comedy. “Mike and Molly” have that down pat. THIS show has a ways to go to demonstrate consistency.

• rowan77 says:

You say they “failed to interject tragedy into comedy” right after you complained that they killed Christie’s father – which was both a funny and touchingly tragic episode. You can’t have it both ways Trish.

• r0ckmypants says:

He wasn’t “healthy.” It was made clear from the beginning that Alvin had heart problems.

Also, I think you might be missing the point of Mom. It’s not to inject tragedy into comedy, but the exact opposite: inject comedy into tragedy. They find humor in darkness, and that’s been the whole idea since the start of the show.

• Joe says:

I watch mike and Molly also I don’t see what u mean

• Jeri says:

I miss Alvin too but when I read that the show was meant to be about the women & they didn’t want to turn it into a family show it kind of made sense. Lots of family shows out there, less about lower middle class women coping & being funny too. I really liked Alvin though.

• Sandi Land says:

I think you’re way off on your statement about interjecting tragedy into comedy…what do you call Christie’s dad dying??? That was very sad but they sure got some great stuff from his passing!

• Maxsmom says:

I don’t know from Mike and Molly but I completely agree on Mom. I have been a Kevin Pollack fan for a long time and this was a good role and a good fit, producers doing things for shock value in the name of artistic integrity make me want to scream, it’s easier to simply move on…

• hud says:

Killing of Pollack lousy idea. Stopped watching then, not going back. Next gay/bi. storyline.

• Melinda says:

I didn’t like that either. I also think they should have kept Christy with Justin long instead of a long string of totally inappropriate men.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Time to give up watching Mom if you people start complaining about what I’ve said or perhaps I’ll think about watching it On Demand. Jaime Pressly promoting to series regular is a good fit for her in the upcoming season.

4. bshaid says:

I tried watching the show but even Allison Janey cannot make this appealing…

5. Sherri says:

I really enjoy Mom! Doing a sit com with such serious topics as the main premise has to be incredibly difficult. I think the writers do a wonderful job with the show. Allison Janney and Anna Faris are both very good actresses, as is the entire show ensemble. Jaime Pressly’s character adds a lot to the show.

6. I think this past season was one of the best seasons. (okay so there have only been two) — I am looking forward to the new year. We have to remember that “Mom” does not only mean who gave birth to who… it also means those who take care of you.

7. Clandestine Green says:

I think that downplaying the kids was a good move. i don’t think they really added much to the show. Jamie Presley I could live without but I am happy about Mimi Kennedy and Beth Hall. I am also glad they got Anna Faris out of the restaurant…that didnt work. I am glad to see a show that realizes that it has issues and is working to fix them. Too bad Octavia Spencer isn’t going to be a regular.

8. Gwen says:

I want my comedies to be funny. I don’t mind the occasional sad or rueful moment…but this has become a real downer series. If it doesn’t uptick in the first few new episodes in the fall, I’ll be dropping it from my series list.

9. Sandi Land says:

Great cast in MOM! We love the show and don’t miss it! Anxious to see what the future holds in store for them all!

10. God says:

Make Octavia Spencer a regular. The three of them are very good.

11. rkar7 says:

I love Mom. one of my favorite shows. I think it’s pretty ingenious how they are able to inject the comedy into some pretty serious material, and I find myself laughing at it. Anna Farris and Allison Janney are great together. Weeping Wendy is funny but they will have to make her a bit more dimensional than what she has been thus far.

12. LE says:

I’m surprised that Nathan Corddry and French Stewart are still series regulars….

• dman6015 says:

Who? They’re hardly in the show. They’ll probably disappear when Christy finally leaves the restaurant for a real job.

13. ann says:

Weeping wendy is hilarious. Whats the status on David krumholz?

14. Isy says:

I know! We should start a petition. Lol!

15. Daron says:

I love this show so much! It kinda reminds me of George Lopez. Glad to see Jamie Pressly make series regular.

16. Dawn says:

Are you kidding me? Think they should have made more out of Octavia Spencer’s Character Regina. Absolute funniest moment is when she’s on the kiddie bicycle cycling to Canada and gets off turns it around and heads for Mexico! Absolute class!

• Lisa says:

Agreed! That was one of the best scenes ever! I hope she comes back..she’s a fave! Also love our Weeping Wendy and Jill!

17. Lowware says:

So glad this show has made it for another season. I bought the entire series and play it repeatedly.

18. J Scott says:

I miss Octavia Spencer she was very funny and added diversity.

19. Barbara breglia says: