Grease: Live Adds Keke Palmer as Marty

Grease Cast Keke Palmer

Keke Palmer is joining the ranks of the Pink Ladies.

The actress — who next stars in Fox’s horror comedy series Scream Queens — will play Marty Maraschino in the network’s live staging of Grease, BuzzFeed reports.

As previously reported, Dancing With the Stars alum/actress Julianne Hough and High School Musical grad Vanessa Hudgens will headline the musical as Sandy and Rizzo, respectively.

Marty was played by Dinah Manoff in the 1978 film.

The three-hour Grease event airs Sunday, Jan. 31, 2016 at 7/6c.

Hit the comments to let us know who you’d like to see play fellow Pink Ladies Jan and Frenchy (and, of course, Danny Zuko).

1. Lola says:

She’s not a great actress. Keke has grown into a beautiful woman and it’s nice to see a young woman grow up in Hollywood and maintain a sense of class. She’s not steeped in the usual issues of a former child actor. But acting wise, she leaves a lot to be desired.

• Ian says:

I wouldn’t agree that Vanessa Hudgens and Julianne Hough are any better though.

• Amor Jackson says:

Um your very wrong she is a great actor and I don’t think you can judge because your just some nobody who watches her on tv and I’m pretty sure she’s doing better than you in life.

2. Fernanda says:

and Danny?? who can it be? Darren Criss? Blake Jenner (as he did on the episode Glease)? Nick Jonas? Zack Efron? Aaron Tveit?… or my favorite, former Spring Awakening OBC, Pitch Perfect’s Skylar Astin

3. Behzad Sandila says:

Why does this very talented girl keep signing up for 5th/6th leads (Scream Queens and now this!)???

4. :-) says:

I’m happy for her. At least she’s getting work. I wish the View had hired her. She came prepared and added value over silliness

5. Lizzie says:

I was so excited for this Grease Live & then I read and it said Vanessa Hudgens & Julianna Hough where involved and instantly became disappointed. They really couldn’t find a better Sandy & Rizzo. I can already see their over acting and awfull singing.

6. Paige says:

I know it’s a pipe dream but I would just really love to see Anna Kendrick as Patty Simcocks! When you think about it, it’s kind of perfect lol

7. Will says:

Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo!?! In what lifetime.. gimme a friggin break. No one else with real talent was available? Same for the Dancing with the Stars chick as the lead? I hope this fails miserably. Back in the late 90s early 00s there was a rumor of a Grease remake with Britney Spears and NSYNC… even THAT would have been much better that this…

8. Kristina Totten says:

I see the PC Police had a hand in casting. A black Pink Lady? Really? Grease is set in 1959. Most schools had only been de-segregated for about 5 years. However, we’re supposed to believe that a group of “tough” white girls not only befriended a black girl but made her part of their exclusive little group. The Pink Ladies were supposed to date the T-Birds too. A bunch of “Greasers” like the T-Birds were into interracial dating? Was there a lot of that in 1959 and I missed it?
    Also, a black football coach in 1959? Sure. The leader of American Band Stand as a Latino? Come on! I love all the multi-ethnic male cheer leaders too. Most guys nowadays wouldn’t be caught dead as a male cheer leader in High School much less in 1959. I’m all for diversity, but are we going to “sanitize” every classic now even if it doesn’t actually fit the historical narrative of the piece?
    There are a lot of amazing black actors out there, Keke Palmer included, and they deserve the chance to shine, but give me a break! Are we going to re-write every classic and make sure our kids grow up in a world where we can pretend slavery, racism, segregation and the Jim Crow Laws never happened? We’d better remember them. Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it. We are still struggling with these issues and while I applaud the Producers efforts to create a diverse cast, some of their choices just didn’t make sense for the timeline of Grease, which just makes them yet another sad attempt to be politically correct. I’m not sure which is more racist, excluding black actors or casting them in traditionally “white” roles to throw them a bone and keep them from boycotting or throwing a fit about something else. Then it’s just pandering.