Smash's Broadway Event Expands! Who's Joining Ellis (!) in Bombshell?

Smash‘s Broadway concert just became a BYOS (Bring Your Own Smoothie) event.

Jaime Cepero, who played universally loathed, smoothie-poisoning Ellis Boyd in Season 1 of NBC’s musical drama, is among the latest additions to the cast of Bombshell, a one-night-only concert event based on Smash‘s Marilyn Monroe musical, which takes place June 8 at New York City’s Minskoff Theatre.

Cepero isn’t the only late addition to the cast. Playbill.com reports that Leslie Odom, Jr. (Sam), Brian d’Arcy James (Frank), Jeremy Jordan (ugh, Jimmy), Ann Harada (Linda), Donna McKechnie and, perhaps most importantly, Wesley Taylor (aka the indomitably charming Bobby) will make history at night (click here if you don’t get the reference) in Bombshell.

Previously announced participants include Megan Hilty, Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, Christian Borle, Will Chase and Katharine McPhee.

The performance will include all 22 songs from Bombshell, heard during the Peacock Net drama’s two-season run.

1. Anna says:

Please, please, pleeeease tell me someone somewhere will record this? I just rewatched the show last month and I would LOVE to see it. Sadly, I live in Germany and I’m in college and have no money and I have finals, so it’s literally impossible to see this. This is so frustrating! I love that this is happening, but I’m heartbroken that I probably won’t get to see it.

• Melinda says:

Great idea Anna. I’m close to NYC but won’t be able to go. I would love if they record it and either show it on NBC or PBS and/or make it available on DVD. Great cast.

• The Beach says:

I’m sure they will record it. How could they get all these actors together for a one-night-only musical event and not record it. Doesn’t make sense.

• Karen says:

The Actors Fund folks been saying they won’t, er make that can’t, film it and release it on DVD later. Makes no sense to me. I’d buy a copy, or pay to view if that were an option.

• David H says:

They can’t because of the unions.

2. Karen says:

No Derek Wilis?

3. Anne says:

SO excited that most of the cast is coming! Yes, even Jeremy Jordan- Jimmy was kinda awful, but Jordan is super talented otherwise.

4. Diz says:

They should air it live!

• Karen says:

Totally! It should be on tv!

• BB says:

Yep! Jeremy Jordan is great! What’s up with the ugh reference to him? This is a series Netflix should renew!!!

• AT says:

Jeremy is great but his character, Jimmy, was just awful.

• Meh says:

If only his character Jimmy was even remotely tolerable. No, that show was put out of its misery for good reason.

• PL says:

It was the story they put around the fantastic production numbers, that was boring. We look now on Youtube and hear and see those great numbers, but we forget how bad the story around those few and far between numbers really were.

• The Beach says:

That would be great. After all they did Sound of Music and Peter Pan. And this is way better than these awful summer reality shows they are throwing at us right and left.

5. greysfan says:

THIS should be broadcast on TV!!! I’d also love to see Hit List too. I actually preferred the music from Hit List over Bombshell.

6. Y says:

Can’t they just get rid of The Wiz and do this as the live holiday special on NBC this December?

7. Alan Dvorkis says:

This is extremely exciting

8. Andrea says:

Was Bobby one of the guys who hung around Karen and Anna? I’m blanking out on who Bobby was. I also agree about missing Derek and wanting a DVD or streaming or something! I’d pay for it. I know that, under normal circumstances, you have to actually go to Broadway to see a performance. However, this is only one performance based on a TV show that a lot of people saw. If HBO can make a deal to record and televise Billy Crystal’s 700 Sundays, someone should be able to make a deal to make this more available..

• ninergrl6 says:

Yes Bobby was one of Karen’s dancer/chorus friends. I LOVED Wesley Taylor in Rock of Ages, so I was always looking for Bobby in the background.

• Marianne says:

I believe they were trying to work something out so more people could see it. Unfortunately nothing worked out. There is a lot more that goes into airing this stuff than people think. I just feel lucky to have gotten a ticket because they were a difficult thing to get. And no, I am not going to illegally record it. My seats are in the back of the mezzanine, so it would suck anyway.

9. Brandy says:

Cmon Netflix, pick this show up for a 3rd season!

10. ninergrl6 says:

Still so upset I couldn’t get a ticket. Sold out in 20 min. I wish they were doing multiple performances or at the very least a live stream. I’ve seen Megan & Jeremy solo & they’re SPECTACULAR. I can’t even fathom how awesome this event is going to be.

11. Carola says:

Jack Davenport was also supposed to go but he is filming a movie in Spain. Damn it.
    I really wanted Jack to make a cameo as Derek Wills. Please someone let him free that night so that he can fly to New York!

12. Jen says:

For legal reasons the show can not taped. The Broadway actors union will not allow it I read this on another website. It didn’t go into much detail to why the union would not allow. I personally would love to see this myself . Lastly I must be the only person who loved the character of Jimmy. Jimmy was flawed but who isn’t and he was a good person who made bad decisions. Jeremy Jordan did what he could with the character who was poorly written.

• Gail says:

I believe the reason it can’t be broadcast is because it is a charity event and musicians and stagehands etc. are paid at a lower than normal rate. If broadcast or recorded they would have to be paid fairly high royalties which would make a recording or the cost to broadcast very expensive. The stars are appearing without pay. They would also probably be due royalties if broadcast.

13. Carola says:

Oh can Netflix put Smash back on TV for a Season 3? That would be amazing. It could happen!

14. Mollytanner says:

I’m sure Jeremy is a great actor in other productions but he was awful in Smash. I don’t even think it was the writing.

15. The Kaibosh says:

I liked Ellis.

16. Matty Si. says:

I really hope they tape this. While I love they are producing it even for one night I am bummed I can see it.

Does anyone know if they are actually producing the show Bombshell or just doing a concert version of just the songs??

• Gail says:

Per various articles about the event:
      According to Meron, “It’s just going to be a concert. There’s nothing about it that resembles a show. It’s one song after the next.”

Stars of “Smash” will reunite for the event that is produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. Bombshell will be co-directed by Joshua Bergasse and Wittman with choreography by Bergasse. It is presented as a benefit for The Actors Fund.

There was initially hope that Zadan, Meron and The Actors Fund would consider a second performance, but it has just been learned that it’s not an option.
      “The performers are available for a single performance,” producers Zadan and Meron told . While they recognized that there will be a lot of disappointed “Smash” fans out there, the single-day availability of the actors and creatives involved means that Bombshell will fade into legend – as a one time only, had-to-be-there event. In addition, a chance of a live recording is highly unlikley.
      The concert will consist of songs from Bombshell written for the TV series.

17. Tracy says:

I wish they would record this for DVD! Better yet, NBC should never have cancelled the show! SMASH was amazing – it was Josh Safran who was the problem! Safran was a terrible showrunner and his ideas for season 2 were a train wreck! Season 3 could have come back strong!

18. Dennis Sisneros-Rios says:

Oh my God. WOULD LOVE To SEE this. So jealous of those who will be able to. Hopefully it will be recorded to DVD. How exciting. I miss this show so much.

19. Bark Star says:

I want “The Hit List” !

20. Meh says:

So many opportunities for that show to have been wonderful and at every fork in the road they chose the worst possible direction. It’s one of the most disappointing shows to me because of that. I’m not even sure I will be able to watch that performance because Jeremy Jordan is in it. His character Jimmy ruined any chance for that show to have gone out on a decent note.

21. sam says:

Will Chase! Yes! On Nashville I knew he looked so familiar, and that’s because he was on Smash! I never bothered to IMDB him for some reason but now it all makes sense.

22. ktbanks says:

I’m sure the actor who plays him is lovely, but seriously: Ellis is THE WORST!!!

Also hoping this is recorded. I’d LOVE to see this!

23. Iakovos says:

LOVED SMASH! Sadly, some of the writing was not up to par. The parallel and not intersecting story lines of Karen and Ivy (such potential to be volatile frenemies) derailed the momentum. But the musical numbers and songs were so wonderful. And the talent! A third season was deserved, even on a very limited 6- or 13-episode run. I have my DVDs, my downloads. LOVE SMASH!

24. HAP says:

So, if this is a charity event, I guess no performer will be getting paid. Did the theater owner give it to them gratis?

25. Knope says:

Please, please, put this on iTunes !!!!

26. Anandasky says:

Hi Matt, Our local independent movie theater has been broadcasting some special “live” events – plays from Great Britain. Any chance this could be offered in a similar way. Great opportunity to continue raising funds and personally I’d love to see a “concert only” treatment of the songs. Thanks!

27. Nancy Ambrosio says:

Would love if NBC will tape/record the The Actors Benefit of the “Bombshell” SMASH cast on June 8 at the Minskoff Theatre for future broadcasting on the network, or have PBS air it on a night they ask for subscribers.
    The concert selling out so quickly only means SMASH is very missed
    and the public will pay to see those actors sing the score on Broadway. Is there a producer
    out there willing to take the chance?

28. Kc says:

I’m so completely heart-broken that they aren’t filming it.
    ugh.
    I’ll just be crying into my pillow.