Once's Merlin, Empire's Own Iggy, Arrow's Darhk Foe and 26 More Homes for Stars of Cancelled Shows

Actors Cancelled Shows

The month of May brought many TV show cancellations, but with the bloodbath comes a silver lining — many talented actors are now free agents.

So casting directors and producers, take note, because in this photo gallery we’ve cooked up some new roles for familiar faces from Forever, Hart of Dixie, Cristela, Parenthood, Stalker and other defunct series, on our current fave shows. (Some are Good, some are Vamp-y and one is just downright Super).

We also found the perfect thesps to fill the roles of Once Upon a Time‘s Merlin, Arrow‘s Damien Darhk and Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s new captain. And in the case of Gabriel Mann, we loved his Revenge alter ego so much, we discovered a way to transplant him to another ABC drama!

Flip through the gallery to see our picks and then head to the comments to share the beloved faces you want back on TV ASAP.

1. bj says:

I think Alana De La Garza would be a great addition to Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders. She has great screen presence. I’d rather see Gabriel Mann heading his own show. And I’ll take Ioan Gruffudd in anything.

• Lisa says:

Yes to Ioan Gruffudd in ANYTHING, although I do love the idea of him being Merlin on OUAT. I think he would be ideal. As for Alana De La Garza, there are 2 opportunities really. There IS after all a vacant spot on the original Criminal Minds also.

• Lisa says:

Not to mention it might actually help to end the curse of the brunettes on Criminal Minds. I’d like to know who the unsub is that keeps killing off the brunette’s chances of lasting very long lately.

• AddieM says:

Well done to Team TVline..you never disappoint.
      Yes to Nolan Ross being on HTGAWM. He’d fit right in, they do lack an interestingly-smug tech wiz on the show.
      Yes to ‘George Tucker’ being a secret villain on supergirl.
      Yes to Nick Offerman being the new Brooklyn99 captain, the only problem is we might end up liking him as much as Captain Holt.
      I’d really like to see Maggie Q in a superhero-y role like replacing Laurel as the Black Canary or something kickass like that.
      Liked Wilson Bethel cameo in Bates Motel, hoped he’d stay. After this past season I am officially done with TVD, I don’t really want anything to pull me back in again esp having Wilson B on the show.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Scott Porter on Supergirl? That’s something.

• Dick Malverne – An orphan at the Midvale Orphanage who is one of Pre-Crisis Supergirl’s romantic interests. While living at the orphanage as Linda Lee, Supergirl meets and befriends fellow orphan, Dick Wilson. Dick suspects that Linda is secretly Supergirl and constantly tries to prove it. Later, Dick is adopted by a couple named Malverne, and changes his name to Dick Malverne. In the post-Crisis continuity, Dick Malverne is a newly arrived resident of Leesburg who befriends Linda Danvers.

3. Kubrick says:

Agree about Alana De La Garza on the CM spinoff. As a fan of Arrow I vehemently protest against Dylan McDermott going anywhere near it every tv show that guy joins gets canned.

• Lizo says:

Arrow survived the Summer Glau curse, so I think it could survive the Dermot curse.

• Lizzie says:

Nah that only applies to new shows with the exception of AHS. But he would be awesome as Damien Darhk and Felicity’s potential daddy. Also agree on Nick Offerman as new captain on BB99.

4. Gerri says:

All great suggestions. Your team is on fire.
    Get the Hart of Dixie boys back on TV stat.
    Love the idea of Ion being the Wizard on OUAT
    Not sure about Gabriel Mann on HTGAWM, Conner could use another boy distraction but not him.

5. Lizo says:

ABC should just renew Forever.

• Michelle says:

Couldn’t agree more, i think ABC were crazy to axe it.

• dude says:

Crazy to axe a show with bad ratings?

• Lizo says:

It didn’t though; not really. Plus the days of giant ratings are over.

• wgsecretary says:

They didn’t give Forever much of a chance. I rarely saw it advertised and it had such an off and on again schedule, that I’m sure it was missed by people who would have enjoyed it. And, I agree with nother comment that the days of giant ratings are over. There are too many other ways to watch TV these days that don’t get taken into account. With as popular as supernatural and crime shows are, Forever could have been a huge success. ABC did it a disservice by not advertising it very much and, without warning, having no new episodes for weeks at a time. I don’t recall ever seeing a commercial for it during primetime hours.

• fiberlicious says:

I’d love for there to be a huge letter-writing campaign to get it un-cancelled. It’s worked before…

• Tenney says:

There is a petition of change.org to save Forever. I signed it a few weeks ago, but I am guessing it may be dead in the water by now. It’s such a shame, Forever was a great show.

• wgsecretary says:

I actually emailed Hulu and Netflix to ask that they consider taking it on as an original series and both of them said they’d received a lot of mail about Forever. Fingers crossed! You never know! ABC is too stupid to keep a good show and give it the promotion it needed. Perhaps it would get better treatment elsewhere.

• Lisa says:

Agreed. It really was a bad move.

• Brette O'Connell says:

I agree with you, Lizo.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Too late. ABC had no choice but to cancel Forever because week after week it wasn’t enough to topped Chicago Fire (NBC) and Person of Interest (CBS) in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot. I really hope that Alana De La Garza should be the perfect fit to fill the void for Anna Gunn in the Criminal Minds spin-off Beyond Borders. She was great during her run on Law & Order which ended back in 2010.

6. Anna says:

These are (mostly) all amazing ideas! Also, Gabriel Mann should be on every show. Preferably as Nolan Ross. The world needs more Nolan Ross.

• Someone get Nolan Ross to fly for Los Angeles, where he becomes a professional revenger, taking cases of people who have been unjustly condemned or set up, and goes on and beyond to discover the real story, the responsible and make them pay. Each case could last 3 or 4 episodes, with cameos of Amanda and co whenever Nolan needed a time off or someone good in entering and breaking..
      Meanwhile a rookie cop, with tech skills and kick ass moves becomes aware of those cases being messed with, and starts to investigate the responsible, eventually getting Nolan but deciding to help him instead… And for the casting of the cop: Allison Mack.
      Done. You have a winner!!!!

7. Michelle says:

Love the idea of Alana DeLa Garza on the new Criminal Minds spin off, i think she and Gary Sinise would make a great team. With new show “The Catch” also recasting, how about Jessica Stroup in the role Bethany Joy Lenz was supposed to play.

8. From playing Lancelot to playing Merlin…

9. AnnieM says:

Omar Epps would make a great Mr Freeze.

10. Riana says:

Zoe’s probably too young to play a doctor (NPH aside) and I would aim higher than a show that is being reduced to a web series.

11. Tony Lang says:

Mae Whitman deserves either her own show or a few major movie roles. She’s way too good to step in for a small supporting role on an long-running show.

12. spindae2 says:

I like Ioan very much, but I want Joe Lando as Merlin.
    Jessica would be neat in Oitnb, but I would prefer her on a more regular basis. Not hitting me with her in a one month marathon.
    I dig WB in the Vdverse but he’d be better as one of The Originals first prodigies.

13. TVPeong says:

Ioan Grufudd as the new royal on Grimm. Now that the king is dead, they need a son to take his place.

14. Bob says:

“We’d love to see the former SNL scribe and popular standup comedian return to Studio 8H and replace Colin Jost and Michael Che at the Weekend Update desk.”

… Uh, what? They’ve literally only been doing it for one season. Why would they need to be replaced?

How stupid.

15. I would absolutely love to see Scott Porter on Supergirl, perhaps as Simon Tycho and try to get close to her in an attempt to exploit her powers.

16. Chris says:

Judd Hirsch actually sounds pretty spot on for Howard’s father.

17. dude says:

I love the idea of Empire getting an Iggy Azalea type and I love Eliza Coupe so I’m gonna say yes to this even though I feel like Eliza is too old for the part to be believable (seeing as she’s playing an up and comer and not a veteran).

18. Nicholas says:

OK if I don’t get Dylan Mcdermott as Damian Darhk or Arrow that I will be very disappointed.

19. Interesting in your choice for Damien Darhk for Arrow. I’m on the fence on that one–but don’t know who I would like if we don’t get Sebastian Roche who I think is a favorite of many.

20. Nico says:

I thought all of this was actually happening… Misleading title!

I was so looking forward to Eliza Coupe on Empire and Gabriel Mann on HTGAWM!

21. chuckiechk says:

Matt Ryan as Constantine on Arrow, The Flash, or Legends of Tomorrow

22. Monica4185 says:

UYes to Peter Krause playing Alicia new love interest on The Good Wife.

• Tenney says:

I agree, definite yes to Peter Krause joining The Good Wife as a new love interest for Alicia. Since the awesome Matthew Goode will not be returning, Peter Krause would be a great alternative.

• aaj says:

yes, at least he looks her age! I didn’t like how all of Alicia’s love interests looked like they were 20 years younger.

• schu says:

Agreed! I think that would be a casting choice that would much reinstate my interest me in the future season.

23. eva says:

For some reason I started going through the gallery thinking these were actual castings, and got sooooo ecited for Nolan Ross on HTGAWM!!! Nor I’m heartbroken that it’s not true :(

24. Brette O'Connell says:

Forget Ioan Gruffudd in anything but FOREVER. I have to believe another network will rescue this excellent series!

25. Steven says:

Alana on Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders – Yes! Or even have her join the mothership as a full time replacement for JLH.
    Jessica Stroup on OITNB – How do we make this happen?!
    John Mulaney on SNL – I’d rather he just replace Michael Che. He and Colin Jost could have a very funny and awkward chemistry.
    Maggie Q on Chicago PD – I’d love to see a regular on anyone of the Chicago shows. She’s just amazing.
    Peter Krause on TGW – Am I the only one who loves the idea of him basically replacing Josh Charles (who he worked with on Sports Night?)
    Tyler Ritter – I’d so much rather see him on something… good.

26. Tom says:

Love the idea of Ioan Gruffudd as Merlin and Judd Hirsch as Howard’s dad. And anytime Ken Marion can work with Rob Thomas, he should. Kevin McHale would be great for Alex, or maybe even Haley. Get her away from Andy. And Offerman on Brooklyn Nine Nine MUST happen. Offerman, with the mustache of course, NEEDS to be on tv.

27. Maryann says:

Sorry, I don’t care for any of your choices, except for perhaps Revenge’s Nolan Ross moving to How to Get Away With Murder, or perhaps casting the former Henry Morgan to play Merlin on Once Upon a Time. I would really hate to see Alana de la Garza wasted on the new Criminal Minds spinoff. Sorry, the original is too dark to be watchable, and I can’t see that the spinoff is any better.

• Tenney says:

I agree that Criminal Minds can be dark, but is not too dark to be watchable. I think it averaged about 10 million viewers each week, so there is a bunch of people that would disagree with you. Considering it just finished its 10th season, that’s not too shabby.

28. Ashley says:

Yes to everything except for Dylan McDermott as Damien Darhk.

29. stefany says:

Since my first choice for the cast of Forever (that the show return elsewhere) seems unlikely…. I like the idea of Ioan as Merlin, but I don’t watch OUAT, so I’m hoping for a great new show for him. Alana – Criminal Minds 1.0. Maybe she can break the Prentiss curse and / or become a new love interest for Hotch. And the idea for Judd Hirsch is PRICELESS. This must happen!

30. Gary D Williams says:

Constantine needs a home best show on TV. Forever was ok.

31. Tammy says:

You nailed it with John Mulany!

32. Jooshua says:

I love the idea of Eliza Coupe on Empire, and Nick Offerman on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.. but Matt Ryan should totally be Merlin on OUAT.

33. jerrired says:

Oh all of these are brilliant ideas! However, I wouldn’t want to see Nolan on HTGAWM. I feel like Nolan might be better suited for another series, just not sure which one. Maybe Nolan could actually be on OITNB but seen through flashbacks on one of the new character’s backstory. Maybe they landed in prision from a revenge plan Nolan helped them with but it went wrong all too fast. Heck maybe even Piper and Alex hire Nolan (somehow from the inside) to get revenge on the Kubra. I just think it could be hilarious watching Nolan having to interact/deal with some of the OITNB characters.

34. kirads09 says:

Love your ideas for Billy Campbell and Judd Hirsch. Perfect. Would love to see that come to reality on both shows.

35. Lee says:

Here is to hoping Wilson lands on something as far away from the CW as possible.

• Heidi says:

Wilson Bethel deserves sooooo much better than the Vampire Diaries

• wgsecretary says:

The CW is currently airing a show with an Emmy award winning actress and a show that’s been on for a decade. It’s not exactly respected by all, but it deserves more respect than it gets. They do have some great shows that are not all geared toward teenage girls.

• Riana says:

Golden Globe. She probably won’t win the Emmy.

• Lee says:

Any Network that renews the junk the CW does just to make a buck from Netflix regardless of it quality does not deserve respect. I won’t even get into the way they treated HOD.

• wgsecretary says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree some of the shows are not very good, but some are excellent. It just depends on your taste. I never got into HOD and wasn’t upset it was cancelled. Obviously, you did. My point is that they have grown to have much more quality programming than when they began.

• Allison says:

I agree, I’m going to at least check out Astronaut Wives Club this summer largely because of him. Unfortunately, I read in an interview he did several months ago that he’s working on a pilot for the CW for next year that is surprise, surprise, some find of Sci-Fi genre show. You know, since they don’t have anything like that already on their network! After the way the network treated HOD, string them along for all those month without telling them one way or another if they were canceled, I can’t believe he wants to get invovled with them again.

36. Evan says:

Dylan McDermott as Damien Darhk is absolutely perfect!

37. Rockell says:

Eliza Coupe (Benched), Elisha Cuthbert (One Big Happy), Zachary Knighton (Weird Loners), Casey Wilson (Marry Me), Damon Wayons Jr (departed New Girl) and Adam Pally (departed The Mindy Project) in a Happy Endings revival.
    Please and thank you.

38. Jared says:

Would love to see the Hart of Dixie boys back on TV in anything but hope they might stick with The CW and show up in some of there new series.

39. greysfan says:

I say bring Emily Vancamp to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.!!!

40. ArchieLeach says:

Since we saw a hint of him in The Flash finale it’d be cool to see Peter Krause as Jay Garrick or another aging superhero from the future. Heck Also, yeah, Scott Porter needs a roll in one of the many comic book flicks. Krause would also be a great pick for Vandal Savage.

41. Ian says:

Mae Whitman on Shameless would be incredible. It’d need to be a role worthy of her though.

And Matt Ryan as Lord John Grey? Seriously? Absolutely ridiculous.

42. DS says:

The only person I can see playing Merlin on OUAT is Colin Morgan. Then bring on Bradley James as King Arthur. That would be the best!!!

43. Jennifer says:

Well, my first choice for Alana De La Garza, Ioan Gruffudd, & Judd Hirsch would be back on Forever somewhere (BITTER!!!!), but the casting you put forth is beyond perfect. Ioan would be PERFECT as the Sorcerer. And Judd Hirsch as Howard’s dad? BEYOND perfection!!!

44. M says:

The Lord John Grey and B99 casting is very intriguing! I do love it.

45. Just one thing says:

That was a fun read.

46. Karen says:

The Judd Hirsch/Mr. Wolowicz is the best casting EVER!

47. Luis says:

Judd Hirsch as Howard’s father? YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

48. GeeMa says:

Matt Ryan in anything. Would love to see him as James Bond!!