Ratings: Red Nose Day Draws Small Crowd, Wayward Pines Rises

NBC’s Red Nose Day three-hour fundraiser special on Thursday night drew 3.2 million total viewers and a 0.8 demo rating, while collecting more than $21 million for children’s charities across the globe.

Elsewhere (and with the Thursday deck now cleared), Fox’s Wayward Pines (4.6 mil/1.2) rose 21 and 20 percent from its premiere, while ABC’s 500 Questions (4.6 mil/1.0) slipped 10 percent and two tenths from Night 1.

And dat’s all she wrote!

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Guess there’s a reason why nobody watched Red Nose Day. Wish NBC isn’t laughing about this.

2. English says:

I didnt even know it was on until I got a tweet randomly. They should have done more advertising.

3. A says:

After the heavy competition Wayward Pines had last week, upticks against soft competition was expected….next week will interesting when Aquaris gets added to the 9pm mix.

4. Boiler says:

Haven’t watched Wayward Pines but give Fox props for trying original scripted programming this time of year. Maybe it will pay off even in average ratings

5. Drewer says:

I was suprises at how little marketing I had seen about Red Nose Day, I’d forgotten about it until I’d seen something about it on here yesterday morning; and then the first hour of it was never broadcast in my area because they aired our mayoral debate instead.

• dman6015 says:

Then you don’t watch NBC. They’ve been advertising it non-stop for weeks on air and on their various Internet sites.

• Shannon says:

You must not wash commercials. Walgreens and NBC have been advertising non stop.

6. topoopon says:

I didn’t watch because the marketing for this thing looked SO ANNOYING! Just awful. This one internet ad kept popping up with a group singing and I think Kirsten Dunst smirking with a ball on her face. No interest at all.

7. Eric says:

UK version is funnier

8. Nicole says:

It is was not as funny as the UK version. Also the UK version is a HUGE country wide mega event. NBC advertised but did not do enough to really make it an event. I did not think America could pull it off as well as the UK does.

9. wrstlgirl says:

Whoohooo for Wayward Pines. I’m hooked.

10. m3rcnate says:

IMO it would have been way better off as a 1 hour (limited commercial) thing where there’s way more “pull on your heart string” video pieces than there is SNL style comedy. The only things that i loved was the Game Of Thrones bit and the opening phone call bit. Besides that it was basically a 3 hour SNL episode with breaks for really sad video segments about poor/homeless children.
    Make it an hour, educate and show whats happening, have 1 or 2 comedic bits but overall be more serious than “SNL” in style.

11. Evan says:

Sounds like it did a good job making money overall through Walgreen’s and its other donors, contributors, and other methods.

Telethons as a whole just don’t seem to work anymore. No one wants to sit and watch the stuff, when they can just do a donation and then go on with the rest of their day. The important thing is to just keep getting the donations.

I think MDA could probably still do as well as it does and never have to do a Labor Day telethon again.

12. kmw says:

I guess good for Wayward Pines but with nothing on it should have been expected to rise. Telethons take too much time to watch now even the MDA telethon has been reduced from what it used to air

13. Alichat says:

Red Nose Day wasn’t entertaining at all. I came in towards the end of the first hour and lasted about 20 minutes. It just wasn’t funny. I was expecting it to be like Comic Relief.

14. Minna Trower says:

It was unfortunate that the 1-844….phone number was not accessible to Canadians. However, congratulations on raising the amount you did. You should be proud of yourselves.