Red Nose Day on NBC: Best and Worst Moments

It’s hard to criticize Red Nose Day as a charitable event — only an actual monster would object to raising money for needy kids in the U.S. and abroad — but that doesn’t mean NBC’s accompanying three-hour telecast is exempt from a critical eye.

With dozens of A-listers including Gwyneth Paltrow, Will Ferrell, Ed Sheeran, Matt Lauer and Helen Mirren in the lineup, expectations were high. And while some folks vastly exceeded our predictions (hi, Jack Black, could you please pass all the Kleenex?), others fell just a tad short. (And no, that’s not a passive-aggressive dig at Martin Short — who was very, very funny.)

So who left us howling, who made us blush and whose shtick proved a little cringe-worthy? (Before we answer that, we should mention you can donate at RedNoseDay.org or by calling 844-446-6673.)

With that said, check out our gallery of Best and Worst Moments — or click here for direct access to the photos — then hit the comments and tell us where we got it right, what we messed up and which unmentioned moments would make your highlight reel!

1. sara says:

Game of Thrones: The Musical.

that is all.

2. sara says:

oh, and Felix and Jack Black broke my heart.

3. Dude says:

I genuinely want to see Game of Thrones: The Musical.

4. Fdo says:

Man, i’m peruvian and the comment of Michelle Rodriguez was “disgusting” how did she dare to say that. Peru is not only about what was shown. Actually that is not what Peru is. She can’t say something like that we have huge problems dealing with what other countries show of Peru. It just wasn’t the right way to express herself.

5. bearcouch says:

Do you guys have a summer premieres list anywhere? Thanks.

6. Samena Ul-Haq says:

Where you went wrong for Red Nose Day. You didn’t let people know how much you expected to raise and then keep us posted as to how much money had been raised throughout the programme. Instead you just told us at the end! Seth Miller was stiff as a board! Red Nose Day is supposed to be funny while raising money for a serious cause so, why were the presenters in suits? Why were they all so serious? The very first Red Nose Day in the UK raised over $22 million in 1988! I expected so much more for the US!!!

7. Evan says:

All that time with Paltrow on screen and no one had any guts to ask her if she was donating any limes.

8. randall says:

OK so i hate to be a downer about charities but lets take a little look at RED NOSE DAY and all the public that is asked to donate but lets looks at those asking for donations NET WORTH:
    adam levine 50 mill
    N. CANNON 20 MIL
    JIM FALLON 25 MIL
    BONNON 600 MIL
    J BLACK 20 MIL
    WALGREENS CEO 13.2 BIL
    oh walgreens first quarter earnings for for 2015 809 million dolars
    Now I dont know about you but if just the folks I have listed above gave 1% of their NET WORTH (not including Walgreens the company) you are talking about having raised a grand total of” 140 million. Lets see what the total raised tonight amouts to from the public rather than what the stars could have donated. Shame on these Celebs for even asking the public for donations. Talk about your 1%.

• randall says:

you all should check out the IRS 990 on all the charities that the show was linked to. The Execs. there are making outrageous sums and I cant stand charity appleals when the Execs or CEOS are not donating or making reasonable salaries rather than up to 1.5 million plus perks. Something to think about here.

9. Yo says:

If everyone who appeared on stage donated fifty dollars, this event would have made more money. It is not the fault of involved charities, but certainly is the fault of NBC. This has been talked about for a month, but who had any idea of what it was all about?

• Tallee says:

Correct! I was familiar with the British version, so I already knew, but I’m not sure it was EVER explained here in the states by NBC, Walgreens or any of their ads anywhere…?

10. DRL says:

I was surprised at Al Roker’s mixed up comment about how people vote multiple times in Chicago. He started out by trying to tell people to call (to donate) but got mixed up and said vote — then seemed like he was trying to make a joke of it by adding “like they do in Chicago”. Just strange — probably funny to some, but not really the kind of humor the show called for!

11. graze says:

I honestly had no idea what it was a fundraiser until this week or that it was a 3 hour TV event until last night. For the longest time something to do with red noses so maybe children. Very disorganized in terms of promotion and purpose of event.

• graze says:

I mean – For the longest time I thought it had something to do with red noses so maybe that meant children. Forgot to edit…

12. retired secretary says:

I enjoyed the show. I don’t go to Walgreens so I had never heard of the Red nose charities. I donate to other organizations, such as United Ways and I was touched by the segments on the overseas children. I have to say that I am still upset with myself but when they showed Elizabeth from Chicago speaking about her children being hungry all I could think was “that is because you eat all their food you big fat cow.” Judgmental I know. Did enjoy the show and I am glad I learned about the children’s health fund, that is a wonderful thing and so helpful. I do hope the stars donated not only their time but also a lot of their money.

• T.J. says:

Have you ever thought she was overweight because all the food she can afford for herself is cheap, unhealthy fast food? Don’t judge the book by the cover when you haven’t read the story yet.

13. Nancy says:

Worst Fund Raiser I’ve ever watched, but hope they raise lots of money to help children.
    Most sincere was Jack Black and two exceptional Doctors working in Uganda.

14. Carol says:

The richest people in this country were begging the common people for money. There was no mention of their personal donations —or was their donation the 60 or 70 seconds they appeared on the show?
    I hope they were kind enough to take care of the boy in Africa and the family in Peru or do they all have to wait on the rest of us?