ABC Family's Shadowhunters: Your Guide to Who's Who (and Who's What)

Shadowhunters Cast Photos

After weeks of reveals met with unprecedented fanfare on Twitter, the primary cast of ABC Family’s Shadowhunters is finally intact and in the midst of its first week of rehearsals in Toronto. If any part of this is news to you, allow me to bring you up to speed.

Based on Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments book series — and previously adapted into the feature film City of Bones — 2016’s Shadowhunters follows a young woman named Clary Fray who discovers on her 18th birthday that she’s a human-angel hybrid destined to battle dark supernatural forces.

Fans of Clare’s books, as well as the 2013 movie, will notice that several changes have been made on the journey to the small screen — Clary, for example, is a few years older on the show, and Luke has been rebranded as an NYPD detective — but the heart of the franchise remains very much intact.

Browse our gallery of Shadowhunters‘ key players below, complete with full introductions to each, then drop a comment with your thoughts on ABC Family’s supernatural drama.

1. Taylor says:

I forgot how amazing the supporting cast for the movie was (Robert Sheehan! Lena Headey! Jonathan Rhys-Meyers! Aidan Turner!). Too bad the film itself sucked. :(

2. Ploki says:

I think the casting seems fine, my biggest doubt is Jace, the actor in the movie was pretty much exactly how I pictured him from the books. The casting for Clary isn’t perfect imo either, I want her with red hair for one, however that could change before they start filming I guess.

3. Kenia says:

Amazing! I love this new cast so much omg

4. Izzy says:

I think Dominic is the perfect Jace! and in the books the hair of Clary isn’t red!! The cast of the series is perff

5. CJ Dawn says:

I’m really excited about this cast. Nearly everyone is much closer to how I actually pictured the characters than the movie cast was. While I liked a lot of the cast members from the movie, none of them were anything like I pictured the characters, with the exception of Godfrey Gao and Aidan Turner.

6. Cy says:

It was all good until I saw who they cast for Magnus Bane. Godfrey Gao was perfect.

• Ray says:

Agreed. I’m still excited though. This is the best series ABC Family has announced in quite some time and I need something to fill the void Witches of East End left.

• J says:

He wasn’t perfect. He couldn’t act and failed to bring the character to life , and he could barely speak English. The little dialogue he had was visibly recorded in post – not that it helped much.

• S says:

I think Godfrey Gao did a pretty good job and he knows how to speak English quite well actually. You obviously have no idea that he grew up in Canada. The fact that he didn’t have any lines in the movie was probably because of the editing or the script.

7. Cate says:

Thanks for the info. Great books, hope the series can live up to them.

• Lyndsey says:

Well they already ruined it if they’re gonna change their ages. Clary is only supposed to be turning 16 and Alec is the only adult..

• Guest says:

Thank you!!!!! Guess when Jace loses his protection against demonic influence he can’t be saved because the treatment only works on a shadowhunter who’s 17 years old or younger. All casting blows and so does aging the characters.

8. Sara says:

Can’t wait for this show and 2016 seems so long!! I love the cast and I can’t wait to see them all with the looks in the trailer…the only think I don’t really like is Luke being a cop but is a minor thing compared to the rest.
    Hope the tv show lives to is worth.

9. Rachel says:

Awful casting for Clary and Jace. So disappointed.

10. Amber says:

What I can’t wait for is that they now can be more faithful to the books because they have more time. The movie wasn’t that bad, though it could have been better. I just hope the TV show can bring the special effects up to the viewer standards and the actors up to the fan base standards.
    Good luck to the cast of Shadowhunters. I hope we can watch this show for years to come :)

11. skaddadle says:

I feel like the casting of luke, valentine and magnus aren’t that great, I mean Godfrey Gao made a pretty badass Magnus in the movie. I mean don’t get me wrong I love Harry shum I just don’t know if he’s gone be a good fit. And I think Jamie campbell bower was a perfect Jace. he was exactly how I pictured him in the books. And i loooveed the Luke in the movies. I just hope this new guy they casted can cut it. I really want this series to be sucessful. The books are soo good.

12. andre says:

As always the writers ruining the best stories

13. melosm says:

I am so happy this show is happening. I was so disappointed with the movie.

14. Lynn says:

Not a fan of the new cast Jace from the movie was perfect fit and so was Magnus, Isabelle, Jocelyn and Luke hated the rest from the movie. The new cast still hate valentine now i hate jace, alex is still not right hate luke hate valentine still magnus might get a pass. I hate when they want to change backstories Luke is a shop owner clary is young big deal simon is suppose to be her age stop messing up the books further no changing them just no that is why the film did not do as well as it should have.

15. Tobias says:

i prefer clary’s hair a tad bit darker
    the twins don’t even resemble each other (wtf)
    + they made simon look like a loser

16. Angie says:

I’m glad the movie cast weren’t brought back. The changes they are making make sense because it brings more to the story, allowing them to create a bigger world. And I’m most happy at the fact that they made it a more diverse cast (Mexican Izzy/Alec and black Luke) I love this cast based on looks but until I see the actual show, I’m saving my negative comments. No “disappointment” here. Not yet, but hopefully never.

17. jake says:

Of course they’re still changing it… Apparently nobody wants to make it the way it should be. Just hope it turns out better than the movie. We know how that ended. Might have been good for someone who hasn’t read the books but for those who did…well u know. Abc family has good shows and hopefully this one actually goes by the book. Show would be amazing. Don’t let me down.

18. Agiukas says:

Im very excited about this TV show. Cannot wait for the first episode! Hurry up 2016!!! The cast is superb

19. Winchester says:

I love the cast and I’m happy they’re making this TV show. But changing characters’ ages don’t make any sense ! Alec is supposed to be the only adult of the group, the only one to have be able to speak during Clave meetings. Having them all over 18 is not all very good choice …
    And changing Luke’s job is useless.

20. Autumn Rynes says:

I liked Aidan Turner as Luke in the movie personally but I’m glad that you’re changing it up and adding color! I can’t wait to see the premiere!!

21. M says:

They might actually do it justice this time. Very exciting.

22. katie says:

Really looking forward to seeing it, cast is great, but WHY do you feel the need to change an awesome storyline? people want to see the series BECAUSE of the book, Just once it would be nice if the producers stuck with the original story from the book, then perhaps it wouldnt be a flop, name a movie that has lived up to it’s book??? Clary is NOT 18, Luke owns a book store and Jocelyn is an artist.

23. Patri says:

The cast is perfect, it’s just like the books describe them. And the only changes have been to add more diversity, which in my opinion is always great. I hope they don’t change too many things from the books, but come on, it’s about time people understand what an ADAPTATION is. If you want a copy of the books, you already have the books! They will have to add things to make be able to make an entire season from each book. I just hope the use that extra time to develop more the characters, instead of wasting it in silly subplots. My favorite character is Alec, and the actor, Matthew Daddario, is such a hottie. But the character wasn’t well developed in the first book, so he is the one I hope they give more time to explain his motivations because I feel a lot of readers didn’t understand what he was really going through.

24. MF says:

Mmm Jace Clary and Jocelyn are ok, obviously diying their hair.. but Simon??? where are those big ayes?? Alec and Izzy couldn’t be more different from the books!! I think the look of the character is one of the most important things so they really should have blue eyes!!! And Alec angular face?? Im soooo dissapointed =( Luke a detective? wtf? it doesnt match his personality at all! why cant they stick to the books that are amaaaaaaaaazing (Sorry for the grammatical mistakes or misspelled words, english isnt my native language!)

25. tash says:

I think they all are a pretty good fit except for clary, luke, and magnus. I prefer Magnus to look a little older. I don’t like the casting choice for clary at all. And luke was not black or a cop. I get you got to change stuff but ok i have an image of luke in my head and this is not it. The books were fantastic. I hope they do it justice.

26. eliana says:

So far I’m really loving the cast..not sure about Luke being a cop… But i am really excited for the tv show to begin!💗💗💗😀

27. A says:

Umm they can’t be older it just dosent work Jace has to be younger for the brain thing to be fixed and clary can’t be older than Alec or jace… Also Luke as NYPD …

28. Jessica says:

Yayyy I’m soooooo freaking excited thank you all soo much for making a series I support it 100%… I love everything shadow hunters from the book’s movie and merchandise.

29. cindellera says:

It is more interesting to watch if the characters were the same. Too sad they changed the characters. Jamie and Lily were perfect.

30. Claire says:

I will be honest, I don’t like the new cast, Jamie and Lily were perfect for Jace and Clary…

31. Olivia says:

I don’t like the new cast. I think the movie cast was pretty good, and I hate this Jace… These Jace and Clary don’t seem like book describes… Jamie Campbell and Lily Collins were the perfect couple for being Jace and Clary…
    I’m so disappointed, I fell they are gonna ruin all the serie because of the cast.

32. Sa t says:

I’m scared how the show is gonna turn out, I don’t like change so it’s hard for me not to see the original cast of the movie and all the changes with the ages. :( Also I was kind of hoping for another movie not a tv series only because I wanted it to be appreciated like how everyone was all about twilight and hunger games, oh well I really hope I’m proved wrong and I love it

33. Melissa says:

First, I hate the new cast!!! Everyone in the city of bones movie was exactly the way it should be. And is no one talking about the fact that Hodge is waaayyy younger than he was in the books. And why change Luke’s job??? And make every one older when Alec was supposed to be the only adult in the group. I want to see this, but I am NOT pleased with the cast AT ALL. No disrespect to the actors and actresses at all. But its just not right. At least once I’d like to see casting directors consult the author before just doing whatever the hell they want! Not happy with this cast.

34. Chrissy says:

I wish the cast stayed the same not sure how I will like the new show because of this.

35. Ashley says:

At 36, I never read the series and saw the film from a position of complete ignorance. I enjoyed it except for Lily Collins who cannot act her way out of a paper bag. [Godfrey Gao was actually worse]. Having watched the first episode of the new TV series, I can say the opposite is true. Katherine and Alberto [Clary and Simon] are the only ones who can remotely act which is a true shame. Dominic [Jace] was clearly chosen for his face [which is hardly compelling to begin with]; he lacks talent and charisma which is a nail in the coffin given the importance of his character. Overall, it’s a show of glamour and little substance that moves far too quickly for those unaccustomed to the story. For viewers unaware of the difference between brilliant writing/acting and shoddy showmanship, I strongly suggest watching “The Walking Dead.”

36. Johanne says:

Sorry but I can’t seem to get used to the new Valentine… I can handle everyone else who is new, but I liked Jonathan rhys the best. And I’m a little annoyed about the runes are not written but just slided on :/ sorry But I like everyone else though! So it isn’t that bad :)

37. Metaiya says:

Being completely honest here – this show was an amazing concept. However, the casting is a complete mess and taking artistic liberties does not work in a series where there are a lot of surprise family bonds, and there is literally an entire series describing EXACTLY what everyone should look and act like. Changing Luke’s job was pointless, as well as making him black. Trying to please the board by throwing some diversity in there was ridiculous because there is already enough diversity in the books to begin with (Simon – Jewish, Maia – African American, Raphael – Hispanic, Aline – Asian). Tried to watch an episode but couldn’t make it past 15 minutes. The movie was so incredibly cast (save for the Johnathan Rhys Meyers as Valentine mess, also Dorothea & Pangborn and Blackwell) and I have a feeling that if they stuck a little more to the novel’s plot, DIDN’T TAKE SO MANY ARTISTIC LIBERTIES and got much better publicity that it would have been a heavily successful movie franchise. This show cannot live up to reader’s expectations. Nice try though.