Ratings: Mad Men Ends on High Notes

Mad Men Series Finale Ratings

Mad Men‘s series finale was the real thing.

The acclaimed AMC drama’s very final episode on Sunday night drew 3.3 million total viewers, with 1.4 mil landing in the coveted 18-49 demo — all-time finale highs, on both counts.

Versus last summer’s Season 7A finale, Mad Men surged 74 and 64 percent. TVLine readers gave the series capper an average grade of “B.”

Two more fun reference points: The Season 6 finale drew 2.7 million total viewers, while the series premiere in 2007 attracted 1.7 mil.

In total viewers, the series finale was only bested only by the Season 5 premiere (3.5 mil) and the Season 6 opener (3.4 mil).

1. Mr. Tran K says:

What a great way to end Mad Men on a high note and I hope that Jon Hamm gets Emmy nominated one last time for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.

2. michaeldshea says:

For comparison’s sake:

“For the grand series finale Sunday night, Breaking Bad hit 10.3 million viewers, with a 5.2 rating among adults 18-49.”

• LT says:

2 completely different style shows. I think it’s unfair to compare…

• michaeldshea says:

I really wasn’t trying to imply anything. Just thought it interesting that at the start Mad Men had much higher ratings than Breaking Bad and at some point it reversed.

• Jen says:

I don’t think that Mad Men started out with ratings thaaat much higher. Both started out in the 1 million range for their season. Mad Men’s ratings didn’t get into the 2 million range until S4 and Breaking Bad didn’t until S5. So I think it pretty much evens out. Breaking Bad’s ratings didn’t really, really start to take off until Part 2 of the final season.

People do have to think though, Breaking Bad has a wider appeal than Mad Men does. I was able to get my entire family into Breaking Bad, but only my brother was able to get into Mad Men. I don’t think Mad Men is everybody’s cup of tea. In a lot of ways, Breaking Bad can be more “exciting” to the average viewer than Mad Men.

Having said though, both are absolutely incredible and are in my Top 5 favorite series of all time. I just think that Breaking Bad has a wider appeal than Mad Men does, which is why it kind of took off like it did at the end of it’s final season.

3. Eric7740 says:

Remember, Mad Men put AMC on the map. Without Mad Men there probably would not have been a Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, please keep that in mind. Plus, no other show on AMC has received more critical acclaim than Mad Men. And yes, Jon Hamm is long overdue for an Emmy for his outstanding work on this amazing series.

4. The whole series – transcendent television! So many moments. One scene in the series finale – the moment Don feels the humanity in “the other” (man) and is moved to comfort him – made me feel proud to be a human being. I’d like to see more TV like that. Great talent to pull it off, and in a cultural media milieu that begs for forgiveness. Big thanks!…a viewer.

and….I wouldn’t be so sure Don goes back to McCann. I thought ending on the Coke ad was an ironical cherry in the Manhattan – a reflective riff on the industry’s manufacture of desire.. Don finally sources where happiness resides and it makes him smile the face of “satisfied desire.”

5. Toni Garner Brown says:

Great ending. The Coke ad is frequently mentioned in my Marketing classes. Hope, purity, game changer, etc.

6. Toni Garner Brown says:

My favorite Don scenes–beside the obvious (the Wheel, confessing to Betty, the Suitcase) were:
    — Don snatching Bobbie’s crotch — a pimp move!
    –Don paying to get slapped
    –Don in those white slacks with the Euro trash
    –Don kissing Peggy’s hand, telling her he would spend his life trying to get her back
    –Don in a suit!!!!!