ABC's Shondaland Series The Catch to Recast Male Lead, One Tree Hill Fave

ABC Catch Recast Bethany Joy Lenz

If you (like us) were digging Bethany Joy Lenz‘s edgy look and naughty aura in the trailer for ABC’s new Shondaland drama, The Catch, here’s a bit of bad news.

The One Tree Hill alum revealed via WhoSay that the midseason series is seeking “a different type” to play her character, Zoe.

UPDATE: What’s more, the series’ male lead, Damon Dayoub (NCIS), is also being replaced, our sister site Variety reports.

The Catch stars The Killing‘s Mireille Enos as Alice, an elite fraud investigator who ironically finds herself the victim of a long con perpetrated by her fiance Kieran (Dayoub). Lenz’s character, Zoe, is Kieran’s actual wife.

“But please still watch!” Lenz urged fans. “It really is SUCH a good show and I’m so proud of my friends’ work!”

Recasting or reconsidering roles after a pilot is filmed and sold to a network is not at all unusual. Already this Upfront season, CBS has decided to revisit the Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders ensemble, moving forward without Anna Gunn (who appeared in the planted spinoff), while our sister site Deadline reports that ABC’s Wicked City and NBC’s Heartbreaker are also recasting roles.

Watch the Bethany Joy-ful trailer for The Catch below:

1. Mary says:

This is some bad move ABC!!! BAD MOVE!! I was gonna was cause of Joy!!! Best luck to the cast and crew but, they just loss a viewer!

2. Beth says:

I was excited for it because of her. :(

3. Dave says:

No! I was so excited about her seeing her on tv again and playing a different character! She was a big reason I was tuning in! :(

4. Lizo says:

No biggie for me. Still going to watch.

5. Sara says:

Still gonna watch but I really hope I would have seen her..

6. Darn, really liked her in the promo. Was the primary reason I considered watching.

The pilot that I wish they would recast is Lucifer. :(

• Weezy says:

I agree with everything you said christopher. The dude from Rush and the girl who always looks like she needs a freaking candy bar are two of the poorest casting choices in recent memory. He’s obviously going to act just like he did on Rush (if the trailer is any indication), which was decent enough, but I don’t think they would have much trouble finding a superior charmer for the role. As for the main actress, I’m sorry but she is a terrible actress and looks like she REALLY needs some help. Of course she could just be naturally skinny like that, but I remember her from things years ago and thought she was beautiful. Now she just looks like a skeleton. I’m going to go with casting couch for her selection…only thing that makes logical sense as to why she continues to get roles.

• 1canuck says:

BJL is a head case. Ask anyone who’s worked with her.

• Nero tTvf says:

Is this Chad Michael Murray? I knew it! Hey, how’s it going dude? You guys are doing great on Agent Carter. Great show. Say ‘hi’ to Hayley for me.

I hate to ask this, but have you talked to Sophia recently? Did she about me? No? Darn it.

• Nero tTvf says:

ahh, I made a typo! Sorry about that Chad. I meant to type –

“Did she ask about me?

Hey, if so, tell Sophia we’ve having a party up in the hills this weekend, but don’t tell BJL. You remember the last time we had that party at Hilarie’s place off Sunset? Totally out of control, and I promised the local police BJL and I wouldn’t be jumping off the roof into the pool anymore when the OTH producer’s and director’s kids are still playing in it! That was very inappropriate and BJL and I realize that now.

• The first post was slightly amusing. The second was over-kill. Quit while you are ahead.

• Arvin says:

I agree with you. I felt like the actor is trying way too hard to be charming that he looked like he was hitting on that cop during that scene. I have no problem with Lucifer being gay but the character needs to show that he’s not only charming but powerful and always in control.

7. Sarah says:

Damn, I was so excited for her! Will still watch tho.

8. Alisa G says:

I was planning to watch because of her, what a shame! :(

9. M80 says:

They should obviously cast Samantha Shelton :)

• Sammi says:

Haha this made me smile. That’s the first thing I thought of after reading this sentence, “Recasting or reconsidering roles after a pilot is filmed and sold to a network is not at all unusual.” It’s too bad they are recasting her though, because I may have watched the show for her, but I don’t know that I will now.

10. zac says:

Bummer but was planning to watch anyway. I love her. favorite OTH actress. I always try to see where former CW stars land after their shows end.

11. Ashton says:

Yeahhhh, she was the only reason I was gonna watch.

12. lorna says:

Was not a big Haley fan, but I like Joy. Best of luck to her.

13. Aleasha says:

Bummer! I was really looking forward to seeing her on tv again!

14. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know if Shonda Rhimes’ new series The Catch is going to be a hit or miss when it premieres mid-season after HTGAWM is done in its second season. Recasting an OTH fave is a bad move on the series’ part.

15. Maryann says:

Anna Gunn would have been my only reason to watch The Criminal Minds spinoff.

16. Matt C. says:

This SUCKS! She’s the main reason I wanted to watch this show. The trailer does look interesting, but this is so disappointing. I feel like nobody from OTH has found a successful show since it ended except Sophia Bush.

• Carly says:

Chad is having success on ‘Agent Carter’ which was renewed for a second season & Rob Buckley is on ‘iZombie’ which was also renewed for a second season :)

• idk says:

That’s because most of them couldn’t act. It didn’t help that the writing on that show was atrocious

17. brie says:

She was half the reason I was going to watch. I wish they would have kept her.

18. lana says:

bad news I was considering watching it only because Joy was in it

19. Jen says:

Nope. Not gonna watch now.

20. Soapstef says:

No way! I was going to watch for BJL. How about they recast that Bachelor contestant looking con artist fiancee instead! Not buying him as someone who could fool the lead character for 2 seconds!! ABC is screwing up left & right lately. First cancelling FOREVER…now this crap.

21. Shay says:

Great! I don’t like her. Shondaland will find another and I’m sure better actées

22. Carly says:

Thanks a lot Shonda, I was looking forward to seeing Joy on TV again. Not going to get anybody as good as her.

23. analog says:

They should have changed the guy too.

24. ChicagoDan says:

TC premise is pretty much a one-season deal. Woman gets taken by man. Woman hunts down man, man gets away (multiple times), smacks down GF tells her she’s been played too…. I bet the change in direction is minority casting, which is not a bad thing. BJL is a class act the way she handled it.

25. Sammy says:

That’s stupid tho. The recasting. Why can’t they adjust? Isn’t it more expensive to reshoot? But its maybe a personality clash too… Shonda wants specific people to work on her shows and if they question their characters or stories they get axed.

• Anna says:

Not necessarily – pilots are watched by so many people before they go to air that it could have been that the network didn’t want to pick it up with her playing that specific part. Roles are recast all of the time because networks want to see someone sassier, or sexier, or taller, or louder, or curvier, or whatever.
      In fact, Joy was actually not in the original One Tree Hill pilot. They re-shot her scenes after they decided that the girl playing Lucas’s best friend (Reagan played by Samantha Shelton) wasn’t a good fit. So Joy gets it – recasts are just a part of television.

26. herman1959 says:

As long as they’re not recasting the lead, I don’t see what difference it makes. Plus, if I remember correctly, several new series were recast last season and it wasn’t the end of the world.

• herman1959 says:

UPDATE – To the posters who said the male should have been recast as well: You called it! Sometimes it is possible to be too good looking in Hollywood.

27. kt says:

was only going to watch FOR Bethany! :-(

28. Teagan says:

The only reason why I was gonna watch this was because of joy lenz and now I just watched the trailer and now I was even more excited to watch it but now I’m so mad because she’s not gonna be in it!

29. Mike says:

maybe shonda can just kill her off in a car crash and no doctor knows what to do.

30. donholley77 says:

I’ve liked Bethany since Guiding Light, but after seeing the trailer, it was painfully obvious, she was miscast. Glad The move was made, now she can find something better suited for her talents!

31. Heather says:

And they have lost a viewer!
    So sad to read this…
    Was looking forward to seeing Bethany on my TV again…

32. bj says:

“a different type” ? An actress should be able to play any type.

• Soapstef says:

Bethany has a winning way about her. They are probably afraid of making it too easy for people to root for her…or they just want someone who’s look screams “evil con artist”.
      Its depressing. I was so excited when I saw Bethany in that trailer. I rewinded it like 3 times. She’s awesome.

33. Birmingham Dawg says:

Will not be tuning in! I won’t watch anything Shonda does ever again after she killed McDreamy.

• LaurenMC says:

Agree. I will NEVER watch another Shonda show after she ruined Grey’s Anatomy. Half the cast is dead. And she did the same thing on Private Practice – if an actor was leaving the show, she just killed them off. Ridiculous.

34. didi says:

well, they just lost me..

35. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Damon Dayoub looked too young and dumb to me in the trailer. The lead was supposed to be this intelligent and sophisticated career woman and she is paired up with a person who looked like he just graduated from college and left the frat house last week.

• Soapstef says:

…and he’s clearly taking this lumbersexual thing too seriously. Hoping it makes him look older. FAIL.

36. vcoolwater says:

Also Dougray Scott is also out at Quantico according to Variety. He played Liam

37. Stacy says:

Well, I’m out. The pilot looks okay, but I’m not a big Shonda fan. Bethany Joy Lenz was the main draw for me. I don’t get it.

38. Stacy says:

I should add: I think recasting the male lead was a much better idea than recasting BJL.

39. Mal says:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

40. Stacy says:

I wonder if the real reason they’re recasting is to get someone who looks more obviously different than the lead. Sometimes those test groups think everyone looks the same… The daughter on Last Man Standing was replaced because people had trouble telling the two actresses apart. I could see that being the reason here.

41. gcw07 says:

She was the only reason I was going to even give the show a look. Oh well, there are plenty of other things on.

42. Dude says:

Boo! I was excited to watch BECAUSE of Joy :(

43. Elizabeth says:

I don’t care for Shonda Rhimes, but I was going to give this show a shot because of Bethany Joy Lenz. Guess I’m not watching it now.

44. Shannon says:

Well, that is one last show I’ll be tuning into next fall. BJL is awesome!

45. matty says:

I am so mad about this! There were two reasons I was going to watch this show: One was Bethany Joy Lenz, the other was Damon Dayoub!

46. Matty Si. says:

I won’t be watching anymore. I love shonda shows but I’m not a huge fan of mirielle Enos. I was going to watch bc of bethany. Maybe I’ll reserve it and see what people think once it airs.

Will they reshoot the pilot then?

47. NP says:

Was going to watch because of Lenz but now I’m not interested

48. Spence says:

No!! He’s so hot!

49. Ray says:

I’ll still watch, but I don’t know what this portends when two of the three main cast members are being replaced.

50. Heather says:

Was totally gonna watch mainly for Bethany! Don’t recast her, she’s perfect!!!