Zoo Crew on CBS Thriller: 'We Want the World to Fear Their Schnauzer'

Zoo Season 1 Preview

You may never look at your pet pooch the same way again after watching CBS’ upcoming event series, Zoo (premiering June 30).

Based on James Patterson’s book of the same name, the drama chronicles what happens when “the animals decide… they’ve had enough,” explains executive producer Jeff Pinkner, “[and] it’s time to fight back.”

Despite the scary nature of the premise, fellow EP Scott Rosenberg insists, “Nobody wants to create an environment where [viewers] are anti-animal.” That said, “We want the whole world to fear their Schnauzer,” he adds. “Then [we know] we’ve done our job right.”

Ultimately, Rosenberg notes that the cast of characters, led by James Wolk’s renegade biologist Jackson Oz, “want to heal the animals… that they love.” And even though their actions are grisly, “the animals, in a strange way, are the hero[es]” of the story, Patterson maintains.

Meanwhile, fans of the novel shouldn’t assume they know how the series will end. “It’s going to change a lot from the book, which is excellent,” the author says. “They have 13 [episodes], so there’s no excuses. In this case, I do think the [show] is going to be better than the book.”

Check out the trailer below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Will you be visiting CBS’ Zoo?

1. Boiler says:

This is the one bad Patterson book and I assume the show will be too

2. LynnH says:

I’m sorry but this sounds horrible. I will not be tuning in.

3. theschnauzers says:

[quote]That said, “We want the whole world to fear their Schnauzer,” he adds. “Then [we know] we’ve done our job right.”[/quote]

That will never happen. So the other Schnauzers tell me.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Sheesh, the negativity on these boards today, is it a full moon?!?! I’m in, looks like a great summer time show. Better than reality TV folks

5. rinaex says:

This sounds as bad as Under The Dome. I already hate Jackson from this description.

6. Nicole says:

I’ll check it out especially for James Wolk but I hope it stays an event series. As soon as Under the Dome got renewed I stopped watching. A clear ending is a good thing with this type of show.

7. Diz says:

The promos have caught my attention so I’ll give it a shot.

8. Ray says:

Sounds like Under the Dome 2.0

9. David4 says:

I liked the show more when it was called WHEN ANIMALS ATTACK!

10. Stacy says:

This one is a NO.

11. Joey Padron says:

Trailer for the show looks pretty good. Happy James Wolk is back on TV!

12. The issue I had with the book was that it had too much padding. Not enough happened for what was supposedly a pulse-racing “action” novel. When I heard it was becoming a TV series, I was hopeful it would only be a limited event series- I don’t think it’ll work otherwise.

• Amelia says:

I wonder if they will add more action. The Botswana scenes already look like they will be different from the book.

13. Ally Oop says:

I wasn’t going to check this out because the premise sounds awful but the trailer was pretty good so now I think I’m going to watch.

14. Mr. Sunshine says:

Now, when are they going to make the Maximum Overdrive movies? :-)

15. Alienate says:

No thanks. I already dislike most humans. i don’t want to add animals to that list.

16. arial2 says:

My instinct is to root for the animals. Perhaps they’re working with Mother Nature to send a message to humans, who obviously aren’t in touch with MN. ;) (Haven’t read the book, though)

17. Lee says:

I absolutely love James Patterson’ book, but this show is very offensive, and it makes me no longer such a fan of his work. This show makes the sick people who abuse animals have a validated reason to do so in their sick, twisted minds. I hope it gets canceled fast. People do not need to see animals portrayed in such a negative, dangerous, and disgusting way. I am absolutely disgusted that CBS would show such a thing.

18. Candiiey says:

God I hate the human race…all of you ignoramuses p***ing and moaning about not watching would probably the first to die if this actually came true, since you clearly cannot grasp the gravity of the point that is being made.

19. James Patterson is one of the best writers anyone anywhere. I have read every book he has written. This is going to be I believe a Series that will continue for years to come. Good Luck #James you deserve it

20. Bobbie says:

I want to know if animals are abused to make this TV show.

21. Dave Carp says:

we’ve been through this its called the cave man days, stupid

22. Dave Carp says:

the sequel zoophelia

23. WolfSpirit says:

Never read the book. But I believe animals should win. #animaltevenge. You see, animals are beaten, abused, hunted, by PEOPLE who think they’re so strong with a gun. Please. Animals are natural fighters. Their weapons ate their own body part(teeth,claws,horns) Anyway. Were animals abused making this series? If they were… Then I will not give in to such a franchise. I read that the animals were trained. But HOW?
    Were they orphaned animals who were cared for by people and trained nicely, with food and snuggled, or animals ripped away from their home, and whipped to do this show?

24. tsevca says:

Does anyone know who sings the song? It sounds familiar.

Beyond the Revolution actor, I like it. But it would be better as miniseries. What interesting can happen there season after season?