Vampire Diaries Video: Candice Accola Talks 'Payoff' for Steroline in Season 7

The Vampire Diaries might be one of the most romance-heavy shows on TV, but after Thursday’s season finale — which killed Jo and Liv, then laid to Elena to (temporary) rest — there’s really only one couple still standing in Mystic Falls: Stefan and Caroline, and even that remains a slow burn.

TVLine caught up with Candice Accola this week on the red carpet at The CW’s upfront presentation for her thoughts on Stefan and Caroline, including whether or not she’s potentially ready to be one half of the series’ main — and, as previously noted, only — couple. (Note: This interview was conducted before the season finale aired.)

vampire-diaries-season-7“It’s a nice payoff to see them together,” Accola said, adding, “I like that she’s taking that time for herself. I think it shows maturity in her character.”

As for why Caroline didn’t immediately return Stefan’s declaration of love in the finale, executive producer Caroline Dries tells TVLine, “She’s still coping after her mother’s death and her humanity being off; she’s not feeling like herself. In Season 7, she’s going to try and figure out if she and Stefan can actually do this.”

While you wait patiently (lol) for Season 7 to arrive, hit PLAY on our interview with Accola above, then drop a comment below: What do you hope to see from Stefan and Caroline this fall?

1. Kinsey says:

Andy you’re the best you always come through for us and ask, love you!

2. Maren says:

Andy… was her dress as ugly in real life as it seems on the pics/video?
    Jesus woman you have tons of money and yet you dress like a grandma..

3. Tracey says:

I’m so happy you asked about Steroline, they are my main reason for watching TVD so thanks.

4. Lizo says:

I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t like Steroline. I’m eager for VD to end and Caroline to go to New Orleans and get together with Klaus.

5. Stacey says:

Trust me Lizo, you are not the only one. I used to love the Steroline friendship but now I can’t stand them together. I just don’t feel a spark between unlike Klaroline which I felt was amazing, Joseph Morgan and Candice Accola really have crazy chemistry. It just feels platonic for me for Steroline. If that is the main pull for season 7, count me out.

• Kristen says:

Yes I totally agree. I almost wish there was no Klaroline because the chemistry was so amazing I have had the hardest time seeing klaus or Caroline with anyone else. I have given up ever seeing klaus and caroline together again since they don’t want to do crossovers, but it’s hard to forget how sizzling joseph Morgan and Candice accola were together. Now Caroline has 2 people waiting for her😄

6. Jade says:

Obviously Steroline is endgame and because of them only I still continue watching this show

7. Sarah says:

Eventhough most people watching this clip will know lovely Candice, you should probably enter her name in the description ;)

8. Alisha says:

I hope that steroline remain friends they shouldn’t have ruined there friendship

9. PRANIE DYWANÓW NA WSKROŚ – to metoda polegająca na całkowitym przemoczeniu
    dywanu, jego runa i osnowy.

10. Taki piec gazowy jest więc najlepszym rozwiązaniem do małego domu lub mieszkania,
    w którym na duże urządzenie szkoda miejsca.

11. khadijahh says:

Well I love steroline…I would say after all they have been through…they deserve happiness with each other…and I also understand that the death of jo,elena and liv….is tragic..simply for the question of what Damon’s going to be up to?…well I also know that…that’s just something we’re going to have to wait for!!! And p.s. to all the steroline haters ..Chilax

12. Katie says:

I hate that their friendship was ruined for an awkward forced romance. Paul had better chemistry with Nina and Claire. Stefan and Tessa even had way better chemistry than Steroline. Candice’s best chemistry was with Trevino and Morgan. I was hoping S7 would fix their friendship and not continue with more awkward romance scenes. Steroline have been glued to each other all season and both need a break from each other. Caroline and Stefan both need their own separate storylines in season 7. It’s boring to watch SC being all about each other and have nothing else to do.

13. Dee says:

Can’t wait to see Steroline finally get together it’s been a long time coming

14. Marika says:

There are time in life when you are going to realize that we as humans being have different views and opinions. And thank god for that. Some like horror movies some despise them (me) but what makes those differences ok is the way we chose to embrace/react to them. But most importantly we have to respect those differences. You can not hate on people because they like something else than you. You can give your opinion but you cannot be rude or force someone to be like you or think like you. I am saying all that because of all the funny comments on how Steroline has no chemistry.

Breaking news!!! Some people REALLY see that spark. Some people didn’t even realized what they had since S2(ME).

That being said, I hated Damon and Elena together but I tried to understand that some people liked them but in no case I was threatening to stop watching the show just because of that or insulting others. As a matter a fact, I stopped caring which mean stop talking about TVD altogether. I was hurt but understood. But really it’s funny when I read comments about how the show suck because of a ship. So basically when your ship would be reunited it’s going to be the best show ever? Hypocrite much?

Just enjoy the show and like Zayn Malik would say “stop making bitching*** comments” just because you are sad.

• Becca says:

This comment is priceless.

It starts out preaching love and acceptance and respect for all, and then it devolves into “If you don’t like Steroline, too bad, stop bitching, you hypocrites!”

LOL

• Lisa says:

Actually yes? Not liking a ship is a huge factor for liking a show or not. Because plainly said, the show’s core point was the love triangle between Stefan/Elena/Damon, so if one doesn’t like the other ship, of course it’s a reason for not liking the show? VD resolves around teenage love. Love,love,love. Everything else are plotlines that come with the love triangle. It’s natural if the show focuses so much on romance. Of course people can drop it if they don’t like a ship (main ship, which I think Steroline belongs too since Caroline and Stefan have a lot of screen time individually), because the ship is part of the storyline that follows.

Like for example with Klaus and Caroline. Due to Klaus falling in love with Caroline, his actions (plotlines) were kinda driven around the fact he likes her. No matter what other storylines, it always came back to it.

I personally have to say, I hate Tvd. After Season 3 I dropped out because I seriously had enough when starting season 4. The plotlines were predictable, the characters grew totally irritating and boring and the overall writing was just not mine. I get a show has great moments and bad moments, but after season 3, there was nothing for me that would let me watch anymore besides Steroline friendship. But seeing as they started there to form the romance I totally was bored out of the show.

So yes, my dear, if you don’t like a ship, you can say you don’t like the show, because (especially in TVD), the ships are the main plots.

15. Jess says:

I’m really, really trying with Steroline. I just can’t get into it. It just isn’t interesting to me and I don’t think it does anything for either character. That said, I’ll give it another shot next season or I’ll learn to ignore it like I did Delena.

16. kevin says:

kill Caroline she is an extremely irritating character,that stupid bitch deserve to die

17. Lisa says:

I hate romantic Steroline. VD had one good thing left, only one and that was the great friendship between Caroline and Stefan. It was the only thing that was great about the show and the only thing that overall remains my most favourite TV-friendship. And they ruined it. Because Caroline for once can’t have no boyfriend at all, because her storylines are focusing too much on her love life than anything else. The producers say that they don’t do what fans want, but this clearly is one. Fanservice. Like Klaroline. Written out of fanservice. Caroline shipped Stelena like she shipped nothing else and the producers could have proven that for once a girl and a boy can be friends without anything romantic happenings. Sorry, as much as there are a lot of romantic Steroline fans out there, I won’t deny it, but it’s boring to no end and destroys everything good. Especially because there are as much if not more fans who didn’t want any romance here.

18. Thomas says:

I can guarantee you that every single poster here complaining about Steroline is someone who is invested in another ship. Nobody who doesn’t hate on the ship for sinking their own could have anything whatsoever against romantic Steroline.

19. Lou says:

Love steroline!!! It’s a perfect foundation for love ..Brilliantly written.. With lily salvatore story, bonnie and Damon the darkness of the mother and boys bond… Writers of TVD are amazing … Will be forever watching