Ratings: Scandal, Blacklist Down Sharply From Previous Finales

Scandal Season 4 Finale Recap

ABC’s Scandal wrapped Season 4 on Thursday night with 8.1 million viewers and a 2.3 demo rating, ticking up 10 percent and a tenth week-to-week, but down 24 and 32 percent from last year’s finale (which closed the night at 10 pm).

Opening ABC’s night, Grey’s Anatomy (8.3 mil/2.2) inched up 8 percent and a tenth vs. last week and was off 7 and 15 percent year-over-year. At 10 pm, American Crime‘s freshman finale (4.3 mil/1.0) was steady. (Next season: A new case, some returning faces in new roles.)

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Blacklist (7.3 mil/1.5) ticked up 6 percent and a tenth, but versus its freshman finale (which aired on a Monday) was down 30 and 42 percent.

FOX | Bones (4.7 mil/1.0) dipped a tenth, while Wayward Pines debuted to 3.8 mil and a 1.0.

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries (1.5 mil/0.7) ticked up, and was off just a tenth from its previous finale. Reign (870K/0.4) was down in audience vs. its freshman finale but matched the demo rating.

CBS | The Odd Couple finale (8.2 mil/1.8) was flat… Elementary (6.9 mil/1.2) ticked up week-to-week, was down two tenths from its previous finale.

1. wrstlgirl says:

So is that good, bad or just okay for Wayward Pines?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well, surely no one expected it to build on BONES, especially up against SCANDAL and BLACKLIST finales. And it didn’t lose any of BONES’ demo. So… it’s a push?

• wrstlgirl says:

Thanks Matt. I wondered why they didn’t wait a week because of the Scandal/Blacklist finales but I’ve never been one to understand why networks do what they do :-)

• Fran says:

Was it any good?

2. Malik says:

American Crime is amazing! Wish more people watched it. Excited to see where the next season will be set at.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Guess next season it’s Blacklist vs. Scandal Round 2. BTW, any update on how well One Direction on The Late Late Show with James Corden did.

4. A says:

there were two big baskeball games on last night, plus early Thursday releases of Mad Max and Pitch Perfect 2, the ratings were pretty decent across the board all considering. IMO

5. Boiler says:

Still wish someone would have asked Pedowitz about decision to cancel Hart of Dixie and keep lower rated shows. If it turns out show didn’t know where to go from here that would be nice to know too, straight from the mouth of someone connected with show. Based on what I know this cancellation as well as Perception were very unfair to its fans

• brandydanforth81 says:

Omg would you please stop with this every week!?!!Rachel wants to stay home with her baby rip units are,HoDs ratings weren’t good and the difference between Reign & HoD ratings this session is negligible .HoD can be syndicated,Reign can’t.HoD doesn’t do well internationally,but Reign does a little better.CW seems to support/favor Reign more.Reign has DVD,tie in novels while HoD doesn’t have tie novels or a third season DVD out.The only reason HoD got a fourth season in the first place was for syndication and wrap up purposes.Anyone that seriously expected it to be renewed past s4 was kidding themselves,HoD was getting 0.2-0.3 last spring,so CW decided to end.CW doesn’t keep shows getting 0.2-0.4 in s2/3 for more than four seasons to wrap up,get to syndication numbers.Czw said,I believe ,that they’re happy creatively with Reign.As for Perception,it was Reign ratings of 0.3,it deserved to be cancelled.

• Boiler says:

Brandy I don’t care what you think and if you think they don’t keep shows at those ratings there will be no CW next year!! Also what the hell do you know what Rachel wants to do. I have NEVER seem that. As to Perception the .3’s were after they announced it was cancelled. As with CW they kept crap that did worse. And when did HoD get .2 and .3. I certainly don’t remember unless it was reruns. Just quit replying to me since I don’t understand half of what you are saying

• MarleneK says:

JUST LET IT GO. HoD is not coming back. Period. And you’re not owed an explanation, it’s the nature of the business. JESUS.

• David4 says:

Slow claps.

Can I still bitch about Wonderfalls or Fire or Dead Like Me or any of the 100000 shows I liked that got canceled?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Last spring when HoD moved to Fri it got 0.2-0.3 and it got one 0.3 on Mon in Feb too.Im not saying I know what Rachel wants just that I’ve heard she wants to stay home with her baby.Reign will make Czw more money than HoD is/ will so that’s why it was renewed,HoD cancelled.HoD can make back lost first run episode money in syndication now,Reign can’t yet cause it needs more seasons for syndication and Reign makes more money internationally than HoD and has international syndication appeal while ahoD doesn’t and costume dramas like Reign also have visual appeal that HoD didn’t have.CW makes money from streaming and syndication and Flash is hit ,Jane a critical datling so CW will be around after next yearits never been avpbout just ratings with/for CW.I get you’re upset ahoD is cancelled but move on.Oh and Perception was getting 0.3s before it was cancelled.As for HoD,where would it have gone in s5 anyway?Zade married and had a baby,Lemon/Lavon married,-there were no more stories to tell.

• Joe says:

Let it go

• Boiler says:

what I am getting at is that as a fan of the show and comparing its ratings to other shows on the network, which so called experts say to do, this makes no sense as doesn’t the Perception cancellation. Lower rated shows that do well overseas have no bearing on US advertising dollars. I actually do think some type of explanation is owed when they do stuff that makes no sense. Perhaps then people will understand why they are doing it. If actors or producers are done with the show so be it but SAY something. This is just good business and I am sorry if you people can’t understand something that simple. This site and those like it would earn more respect if they asked this stuff. Good riddance CW

• Carla Krae says:

Overseas does matter. If they’re making money off a show internationally, it makes up for lower ad dollars here. The CW and the production company both spend money on a show….it isn’t solely the CW’s bill. And The CW’s CEO has already answered this question of HoD vs. Reign. Comparing all data vs. all data, Reign won. Let it go!

• brandydanforth81 says:

Overseas performance/sales of shows matter-it’s the biggest reason -along with being cheap and halfway to syndication-that BatB got s3&4 despite getting constant z0.3s-worse than Reign-in s2 because it sold well internationally and those sales are making it money and paying for its production along with it & Reign being cheap Candaian co-productions

• tabularasalocke says:

The only 2 shows that did as bad or worse than Hart of Dixie in ratings is Reign, which is most likely going to get a shorter final season this year, and Jane the Virgin which just nabbed them their first golden globe. I’d venture to guess that season 4 was always going to be the final season. The terrible ratings in the 2nd half of season 3 solidified it, and CW gave them a 10 episode order to wrap it up.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Umm actually look at tvbythenumbers CW index and see Jane did better than HoD.Only Reign and Messengers did worse and HoD barely did a tad better than Reign.But I agree whole hearatedly about most of the rest of what you said.Also,Reign is on in fall next season and a season away from syndication so it may have got a full season-Czw hasn’t confirmed episode orders.CW will give Reign a short fourth season to wrap up and get to 70 +some episodes for short syndication like Nikita,HoD,BatB.

6. bigdede says:

So Grey’s beat Scandal again? Scandal will never have the ratings it use to have

7. dj says:

They have both become downright silly, especially Scandal. No more for me!

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Really hope that next season NBC takes down ABC and forget about Thursday Night Football over on CBS.

• I’m kind of pissed off at Scandal’s finale, not because of me being an Olake but how Olitz was reunited. While I don’t agree with how Mellie handled things, Fitz anger and throwing her out came almost out of left field. Then to top it off, the season finale felt underwhelming. I expected more and when I looked at the clock and saw that it was 9:40 and nothing remotely OMG happened, I was bored. Hope season 5 is better.

9. Drew says:

I enjoyed Wayward Pines a lot. Creepy and mysterious without being corny. That is not something that a lot of TV shows get right.
    Question: Was that the same place where Eureka was filmed. It looked familiar.

• Fran says:

Glad to hear that. I was looking for a good mysterious not a corny one. And I think both shows were filmed in British Columbia, though I’m not sure exactly where.

• AM68 says:

I read the book which was good, but I don’t think I will watch the show Matt Dillon just does not fit the role.

• herman1959 says:

I’m late to the party here, but I watched Wayward Pines this afternoon and I like everything about it (even Terrence Howard. It held my interest, and it made me want to stay with it until I know the whole story. I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just say that it seems to be much better and more complex than the Secret and Lies/Gracepoint type of thing.

10. zac says:

Last night’s Scandal was lackluster. Very disappointing. Was expecting Rowan’s head exploding everywhere at the least but no it didnt happen. I mean how many years can you get time for with embezzlement. He’ll be back for sure.

11. herman1959 says:

I’m not surprised about the low ratings for Scandal and The Blacklist. In the Fall, I’ll be saying goodbye to The Blacklist, watching Scandal on hulu, and watching Sleepy Hollow live (for as long as it last). My 2015-2016 TV schedule conflict is solved!

• dman6015 says:

With Sleepy Hollow up against The Blacklist and Scandal, you won’t have to wait long for Fidgety Fox to bag it.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Blame Fox for moving Sleepy Hollow to Thursdays @ 9 next season. This should be bad news heading into its upcoming third season.

• AM68 says:

And TVD, and The Orginals and How To Get Away With Murder… They did not plan that well at all!

• Cheyenne says:

Fox moved Sleepy Hollow to Thursday at 9? Are you kidding me?! Are they trying to tank the show or what? Sleepy Hollow almost didn’t get renewed for a third season. The second season was dreadful. The only thing that saved it was the finale.

• AM68 says:

Oh jeez – Sleepy Hollow in on Thursdays now?! I didn’t realize that. So basically all the shows I watch will be on at the same time. Great… These studios need to get that nobody wins when they do that. This makes me just want to watch everything on Hulu or On Demand and skip the live viewing altogether!

• B says:

I know how you feel Bones Sleepy Hollow Scandal HTGAWM and The Blacklist and The Originals I hate Thursdays

12. AngelWasHere says:

I loved Wayward Pines! I didn’t even know it was coming on till someone told me. So glad I watched it. :)

13. S says:

Is there a reason Scandal and Blacklist have to be against each other in the 9/8 time slot? I feel like both networks should realize this a bad move all around.

14. Way
    to go! $

Tvline Excellent job!

15. dawn jack says:

SCANDAL FINALE WAS DOWN CAUSE THERE WAS A CAMPAIGN ONLINE TO TELL PEOPLE NOT TO WATCH CAUSE THEY SAID THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO SHONDA RHIMES AND HER WRITERS TO CHANGE COURSE OF SHOW BACK TO WHAT MADE IT SUCCESSFUL. I THINK IT WIRKED CAUSE OF THE ENDING!! THANK GOD!!