Fall TV Preview

The CW Fall Schedule: Vampire Diaries and Originals Form Fangtastic Thursday, Arrow/Flash Spinoff MIA

The CW Fall Schedule 2015

The Vampire Diaries and The Originals — together at last.

The CW is the final broadcast network to unveil its 2015-16 schedule, and Julie Plec’s undead siblings are being paired together on Thursday nights.

Also of note: Reign is being banished to Friday; new dramedy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will be paired with Jane the Virgin on Monday; and the anticipated Arrow/Flash spinoff DC’s Legends of Tomorrow is being held for midseason.

On tap for midseason: Plec’s new drama Containment (FKA Cordon), and returning series The 100Beauty and the Beast and Whose Line Is It Anyway?

All told, the The CW’s surprisingly familiar schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY

9 pm The Originals

FRIDAY
8 pm Reign
9 pm America’s Next Top Model

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Hart of Dixie and The Messengers

1. greysfan says:

Reign on Fridays? I dunno if i like that idea…..

• Dude says:

I see them getting Nikita treatment, season three and a 10 episode final season.

• ChrisGa says:

Absolutely. This is a pattern with this network; throw them on Fridays before cancelling them(Nikita, Hart of Dixie, the Carrie Diaries). Shame because I’m still loving Reign and while I always thought the Originals should’ve been paired TVD from the start it seems pointless two years later to do it unless, again, you were getting rid of another show. Highly unlikely that Reign will see a fourth season now.

• opus says:

So Reign is going to Fridays! And CW cancelled Hart of Dixie which, on Fridays, had better ratings than Reign on Thursdays. Stupid! Stupid! Should have just kept HoD!!!! In my opinion HoD was the far better show anyway.

• brandydanforth81 says:

HoD was at the point it can be syndicated,Reigns not.Reign does a little better internationally than HoD.Rachel wants to be a stay at home mom.HoD was just barely rating better than Reign.Reigns also a cheap international co production,with finial perks that HoD have as a non international co-production.

2. Wilson says:

Hmm that’s a lot of shows for midseason. I wonder where they will all fit? If Legends of Tomorrow replaces iZombie at midseason, I’m not sure where Containment and The 100 would go. Are any current shows going to have shortened seasons?

• Ana says:

Crazy Ex-grilfriend might end and so america’s ntm. I don’t know anything about shortened seasons tho..

• Ana says:

To be honest it would have been so much better if they A. canceled Reign or B. gave it 13 episodes instead of 22 and then they would have more space in the schedule. The show is getting bad anyway and it definitely does not deserve a whole season.

• wrstlgirl says:

I like Reign but 22 episodes is to much for any show IMO. I much prefer the shorter seasons like they do on cable. Keeps the shows interesting

• brandydanforth81 says:

Quality doesn’t matter.If Reign got a full season,it’s to get it to syndication in s4or they could’ve done like BatB-short third & fourth seasons

• brandydanforth81 says:

I’ve heard The 100 will, Girfkriend got 13 but idk if that’s it’s limit and I’ve heard IZombie creator want it to have short seasons.CW has yet to confirm this though except The 100s limited order.

3. SANDY says:

I am bannishing you to the Tower of London for messing with Reign’s time slot!

• safistikaytdlayd says:

Agreed!!! Hoping this is not the death knell for Reign!!! If so, “off with their heads” LOL

• brandydanforth81 says:

Really? reign is their lowest rated show renewed and doing too poorly to justify keeping its Thurs slot.Fri has lower ratings expectations and there it will await a short fourth season & syndication and moving to Fri was/is Reigns best chance to survive

4. Michelle says:

Wish we didn’t have to wait to midseason for the return of The 100 :-(

5. aidagda says:

Where is The 100?

6. Monica says:

With that movement of the Thursday, only hope one thing…crossovers :)

7. Bill says:

I thought it was announced awhile ago that the DC spinoff would be mid season anyway

• Zorkel says:

You are correct. It’s been said from the beginning it would be held to midseason.

• Dj says:

It wasn’t an official announcement, but yeah they have always talked about this show starting in med season.

• Robert says:

I wonder since Legends is going to be midseason, will they have to be very careful not to have any story line crossovers ,with Arrow and Flash, since both shows will be months ahead of them?

• herman1959 says:

They remainder of the Legends cast have to be introduced on Arrow/Flash episodes, so those will be the first crossovers.

8. A.M says:

So mid-season means the new season/show will start after the Christmas break in Jan/Feb.

9. Boiler says:

For those complaining about Reign on Friday, you are lucky CW renewed it too early as there is no question Hart of Dixie should be there

• Tracy says:

Agreed. I love HOD and did love Reign but season 2 has been a disappointment where as HOD was at the top of its game. I wonder how many episodes Reign has been renewed for?

• Allison says:

Agreed. I think they should have let HOD and Reign share the time slot and before the final announcement about HOD came in last week that’s what I was hoping would happen. They could have given them each 12-13 episodes. I thought Pedowitz said they were going to do more of that time slot sharing/shorter order count so they didn’t show as many reruns in season and these 2 shows would have been perfect for that in this time slot. Reigns ratings are below what HOD was getting this year and are well below what HOD got in it’s second season. HOD was back to form in season 4 and should have gotten another short season.

• brandydanforth81 says:

God I am so sick of hearing this arugrment-Reign cant be syndicated yet,HoD can.Reign does a little better than HoD internationally.Rachel wants to stay home with her baby.Hod/Reign ratings difference this season is negligible .

10. aph1976 says:

I’m wondering if The Vampire Diaries and The Originals been on the same night will lead to more crossovers between the 2 shows because it might make things easier to coordinate things.

• Letti says:

I don’t think this matters. And the writers were pretty clear about not wanting crossovers. Though terrible ratings might make them do it.

• Lori says:

I’m with you I think the ratings are going to make them do it too. They should’ve just combined the shows that would’ve been a better idea. Although unless they change writers that will bring new ideas TVD will surely sink.

11. Letti says:

I can’t believe The 100 is put to midseason again :( I predicted Reign Fridays, so it’s not a surprise. TVD and TO are both falling fast, I don’t know if this was a good decision for them. Though I won’t watch either next year.
    BTW Crazy Ex-Girlfriend looks like an epic fail. And it’s as a lead-in… flop. Even if it makes sense to put it with JtV.

12. David4 says:

Beauty and the Beast comes back midseason after being a summer show? What does it have to keep CW from canceling it?

13. Lysh says:

I binge watched all of The 100 a couple months ago, I think right after the season ended. Seems like a really long break in between seasons.

14. Sabrina says:

This looks like a very solid schedule, although I did not expect to see ‘Crazy Ex-girlfriend’ for the fall schedule as I would have thought they would need to re-tool it. I expected ‘Containment’ to be on the fall schedule though.

15. xomareen says:

I am literally about to die because of the midseason move for The 100. I was already freaking having to wait until October.

• Dizzle says:

Yep, same! The finale was bananas and I need to know what happens next! It’s just like NBC holding onto Hannibal into the summer when series 2 ended so crazily…

16. Dude says:

Predicting Containment will be this year’s The Messengers.

17. ninergrl6 says:

Not surprised about the move for Reign but still not happy about it. They just have nothing to pair it with & don’t seem all that invested in making anything beyond season 3, which makes me really sad because I love the show. Did it even get a full season pick up?

• brandydanforth81 says:

They moved it to Fri with lower ratings expectations to await short syndication-70 some episodes.I think it got a full season but I’m not 100% sure on that either

18. Remy says:

I’m excited that iZombie is now going be a regular season show. No word on whether it will be TVD’s last season?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Pedowitz said so no plans for s7 to be the last for VD,he hopes it can last a few more seasons

19. Boiler says:

Did anyone ask Mr. Pedowitz why he has a show in the same slot as Dixie with about 20% lower ratings?? I would think advertisers would wonder what is going on. The only reason, other than the actors didn’t want to continue, is that the CW is horribly run and needs to go away.

20. tjj50 says:

So you’re saying that Thurdays at 9pm is gonna be Scandal, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, and the Originals… Shoot me now!!

21. n8frogg says:

Why is “The 100” being held to midseason? It’s CWs best show besides the DC properties.
    That also reminds me that this is becoming a big problem. Most of the new shows that the networks have announced that look like they could be good are all being held to midseason. Why do the networks keep doing this? It seems they all end up getting cancelled. I think it’s because some people get used to watching something in September and refuse to try something new. It’s such a shame. It’d happened the last 2 years and this will be the 3rd.
    This year it was “American Odyssey”, “Allegiance”, and “Empire”. Next year it’s “X-files”, “The Family”, “The Catch”, and a few others.

It’s a trend that I don’t see changing but shouldn’t the networks have more faith in a series and at least give it a chance?
    Another one from this year that got axed to soon was “The Messengers”. Cancelled after its 3rd episode because it was put on Fridays in April. Anyone watching TV on Fridays probably already had something that they watch. It will continue but how about promoting the shows a little more.

• Tea says:

Whoa now lets remember lots of fall freshman shows get cancelled too.

• n8frogg says:

Yeah but almost all midseason ones do. I’m shocked both “American Crime” and “Secrets and Lies” other got renewed this year. It certainly wasn’t because they got really good ratings either. None the less I was happy that they did.

• brandydanforth81 says:

“best show” is subjective .The 100 has limited episodes season best suited for midsession/summer runs.Its also one of the lowest rated shows renewed other than Reign.Reign only got a fall slot due to Czw trying to get it to syndication.

22. Jamie says:

Reign on Fridays HA! I hope the writers realized they ruined their show with the whole rape storyline, then Mary’s affair. I love Adelaide Kane and Toby Regbo, but good riddance to Laurie McCarthy who alienated fans with her terrible writing and inconsistent wishy washy characters. Here’s hoping AK and TR find acting jobs worthy of their talent

• tp says:

Couldn’t agree more. She’s delusional about what the viewers wanted to see. The writing team drove Reign into the ground this season. Catherine w/ghost Henry, everything with Francis and Mary not to mention Bash and Kenna. There had to be better ways to add drama without burning down the very reasons people were watching. By the time the rape happened I had given up. I miss what Reign was in season one.

23. Kashawn says:

So tired of the networks moving all the shows to Thursday @ 9. I love The Originals and Scandal, now I can only watch one live. I understand the networks are about that advertising money, but all these shows at 9 end up cannibalizing each other in ratings.

24. Nick says:

Usually don’t get upset about these things, but I am SO. MAD. that The 100 got pushed to midseason. It’s way too long to wait. I like iZombie fine, but now I have a grudge against it.

• Arvin says:

The only available slot for the 100 is Friday. It is incompatible with America’s Next Top Model. It will crash and burn there partnered with a girly show.

• brandydanforth81 says:

It’s the second lowest rated renewed show after Reign(excluding summer show BatB)& it’s shorter seasons make it ideal for for midsession/summer runs and Czws priority was getting news on the air-even Legrnds, Containment will get regular season midsessin slots before The 100.

25. NKOTBsMonica says:

I am okay with the schedule, only a few shows that I watch Reign, The Originals, Supernatural and Jane The Virgin show times will fit into my viewing habits with ABC, NBC and CBS shows. I hope Reign is not cancelled after the third season, it has me hooked.

26. Carla Krae says:

Good gracious, my Thursdays at 9pm are overloaded. Originals, Sleepy Hollow, and The Blacklist all at the same time? Argh.

27. Mr. Tran K says:

Blame the CW for benching Legends of Tomorrow for mid-season. Hope Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is going to flop big time.

28. wrstlgirl says:

You know what ever these networks do either you make it work for yourself or you don’t. I look forward to seeing the Fall calendar to see how all this shakes out. As far as having to wait to mid-season for a show to start I’m just grateful it is starting and not cancelled.

29. Joey Padron says:

good they pair The Vampire Diaries & The Originals on Thursdays. I guess Legends of Tomorrow will premiere in beginning of next year. hope The CW will release a trailer or preview for the show later today.

30. sprizzle2182 says:

i actually liked having TO on mondays and TVD on thursdays. I have to DVR all my shows and it gave me plenty of time to watch both. i dont like that they will be crammed together, The Originals is it’s own, great stand alone show, why keep it on the coattails of another one?

• Darla says:

I think this pairing was a response to reinventing TVD now that Nina is leaving. If anything I think the network is hoping The Originals will help TVD. It keeps on hitting series lows.

31. WenRaz says:

No more Hart of Dixie. Boo.

32. Alex Mindev says:

Very disappointed that THE 100 is midseason. A friend of mine suggested the CW maybe trying to use Netflix (when they put S2 on there) as a way of to try and get more people to watch it so it lifts the ratings up (there we go again, antiquated ancient useless way of gauging show’s viewership but oh well).

As far as Legends of Tomorrow, I’m super excited for the show, not surprised it’s being held to midseason…however I strongly hope they pair it with either FLASH or ARROW. I don’t see it succeeding on another night. Maybe, maybe Mondays at 9pm. Thursday is just brutal. You already have Supergirl and Gotham at 8pm on Monday so 9pm probably would be OK for the LoT show. Any other night like Friday would be bad news. I just hope they give the show a chance to succeed.

Ex GF and the Contagious or whatever it is sound awful and not like CW material or where they’re taking the direction of the network.

One last thought…iZombie has been a fun revelation. Glad it got picked up for a 2nd season and it’s sticking around.

33. Charles says:

It really is a shame that the CW is waiting until mid season to air their best (THE 100) show.

• brandydanforth81 says:

“best” is subjective.The 100s limited episode orders made ideal for midseason /summer and other than Reign,it was the lowest rated show renewed( except summer show BatB)& Czw priority was/will be getting their new shows on before it and Reign got a fall slot for a possible full season for syndication.How do you think BatB fans feel having to wait 11 months between the end of s2& start if s3?

34. Riana says:

This is great news. No Originals/Supergirl conflicts.

35. Drew says:

I am cool with The 100 being a midseason show. Season 2 was too long. A shorter, stronger season would be much better.
    I am wondering if they will use Legends as a regular midseason show, or as an event series to bridge a hiatus gap of some sort. As psyched as I’d love to be for that show, I’d rather just have some reassurance that the Arrow writers are planning to fix what went wrong with season 3… I’d be super cool if that was the horrible timeline that Rip Hunter decided to change.

36. Scott says:

They finally canceled the Hart Of Dixie about time that show sucked. Now if they could just cancel Jane the Virgin that show is so awful what waste of TV. time. Glad that I zombie is in the regular schedule and Beauty And The Beast will be on in the summer that is good news anything is better then it getting canceled.The originals and The Vampire Diaries on the same night is good move.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Just cause YOU,one person,doesn’t like as how it should be cancelled? grow up.Janes is Czw critical darling ,winning a Peabody,a AFzi( or something), nominated for a Critics Choice Award and won a Golden Globe plus it’s cheap to produce.Perception of quality or lack thereof doesn’t decide cancellation/renewals

37. M says:

I am not handling The 100’s midseason push well. Not in the slightest.

38. Matt Ceccato says:

Looking forward to season 2 of “iZombie.” Has anyone heard how many episodes the CW is initially ordering?

39. ggny says:

Any news on Constantine heading to the Arrow/Flash universe?

40. Carol_R says:

Geez, the shows I’m interested in are all midseason (Containment, The 100). I’m wondering where they’ll put them. The 100 will have more episodes this next season too.

41. Charissa29 says:

We have to wait A YEAR for The 100? CW are evil bastards!

42. janet says:

Great, now ones I’ll be opposite big bang theory which I miss. And the other against the blaclust. Thanks guys. Crap

43. Arvin says:

The 100 is not compatible with America’s Next Top Model that’s why it’s being held up for midseason. It would crash and burn partnered with a girly show.

44. Kim (@AD76) says:

If “Whose Line” is going to be on Fridays again I watch a show on the CW network every single night. And I’m older than their demographic. Take that!

45. Guest(Real name won't be revealed until i say so) says:

Here are my thoughts of the 2015-2016 fall schedule from The CW. Beginning with Mondays: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend could be a hit or it could bring down the entire night. Tuesdays: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Wednesdays: same memo apply. Thursdays: All i have to say is well finally! Fridays: Does everyone here believe that these two should switch timeslots? Well those are all my thoughts of the 2015-2016 fall schedule from every station. See you in September and as for The CW October. So long for now. (The Next Big Thing plays)

46. B says:

The Originals, Sleepy Hollow, Scandal, Bones, The Blacklist, HTGAWM are all on Thursday this fall I guess I’ll have to watch one live and dvr the other and cut one each hour of the night thank a lot execs

47. evaughn gay says:

My favorites are (originals( supernatural) (the strain)when does the season start again love the shows don’t want to miss any episodes.

48. Shelby says:

They had to put originals on the same day as vamp diaries to up their viewers now that Elaina is gone…

49. jakara piggs says:

CW messed up big time for Thursday nights, now both originals and tvd will have to get recorded although I love both I love scandal better. Reign on Fridays Big mistake too

50. Tela Fraley says:

Hi i just recently got cable i have been purchasing vampire diaries seasons but i dont want to wait a year to get it i know its airing now but i dont want to miss the first 7 or 8 shows not sure how many has played can you please do a incase you missed rerun day and let it he known ahead of time so i dont miss PLEASE