TNT Orders The Alienist Adaptation, Young Shakespeare Pilot and More

TNT Alienist Miniseries

TNT is venturing into both the Gilded Age and the Elizabethan Era, via two new projects announced Wednesday at its Upfront presentation.

The cabler has made a series commitment to an eight-part adaptation of The Alienist, Caleb Carr’s bestseller that is set in 1896 and follows then-New York City police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt as he attempts to solve gruesome murders.

True Detective‘s Cary Fukunaga will direct the series, with Hossein Amini (Drive) penning the episodes.

TNT also announced a pair of pilots: Will, which revolves around a young William Shakespeare and is told in raucous style by filmmaker Baz Lurhmann’s long-time writing partner, Craig Pearce; and Animal Kingdom, which is described as a family crime drama set in a gritty surf community.

1. Riana says:

So what’s with Titans? Did they not pick it up?

2. johnhelvete says:

Paramount had the film rights to the Alienist years ago (late 90s), I have never read the book but sounds like it could make for a quality limited series.

3. Daisy says:

I could be convinced to watch The Alienist depending on the cast but the others sound kind of blah.

• Nan says:

Teddy being my favorite POTUS, I’ll watch The Alienist. And the Shakespeare one sounds interesting as long as it’s not in iambic pentameter.

4. Lisa says:

What’s happening with Lumen?

5. jennifer says:

The Alienist is one of my favorite books. I’m cautiously excited as the description TNT is giving is a bit misleading. Roosevelt’s more a supporting charater/catalyst for the story, not the main detective. Hoping as more details are released this will change.

• msemmyjones says:

Oh good, I was about to say the same thing! Yeah, Roosevelt’s in it, but he’s hardly the one out solving the murders. But this is one of my favorite books and I’ve long thought a tv miniseries adaptation was needed so I’m, like you, cautiously optimistic.

• Andrea Coates says:

So glad other people are mentioning this! The description is definitely misleading. I love the book, but Roosevelt is not a main focus of the story.

• Jules says:

After all, it’s called The Alienist, for the pioneering psychologist who heads up the sleuthing team, not The Police Commissioner.

• acgogo says:

To do the Alienist justice they are going to have to go very brave. Painted boy prostitutes and male brothels; grisly dismembered corpses; brilliant psychologist/detective who thinks outside the Victorian box; fascinating Dahmer-like serial murderer who is still strangely sympathetic; and, a supporting cast of distinct and unique characters that we have not seen before on TV due to censorship (I think they call it standards and practices). And a talented production team to bring it all alive. On HBO maybe, but TNT. Hmmmmm. We’ll see.

6. Wow says:

Oh my god, THE ALIENIST is finally going to be filmed? Hurray!

7. Geo says:

Finally! I’ve always thought The Alienist and its sequel would make terrific movies or a series. Great cast of characters. Now if only Carr would write more in the book series, as he once seem primed to do.

8. Lorena says:

I have this book. i think its time to start reading it

9. erika says:

What about Titans? Did TNT didn’t pick it up?!

10. MCronin18 says:

FINALLY!!!! I only read this book about 20-21 years ago when it first came out.

11. B says:

Wish TNT would pick up “Forever.” Rather see that than Animal Kingdom.

12. nerdrage says:

Alienist sounds interesting…

13. ScottJ says:

Animal Kingdom was a 2010 Australian movie. Rather good movie too from memory. Sounds like this would be yet another unoriginal, pointless adaptation.

14. maggie says:

I’m happy that The Alienist is finally being made into a mini-series. I always thought it would be better as a series than a movie.

15. DanielleZ says:

The Alienist is a terrific book. I recall not being able to put it down and I was not at all into turn of the century NY crime novels. I hope TNT and Cary Fukunaga do it justice. Perhaps he’ll reunite Woody Harrelson and Matthew Mcconaughey like in True Detective. Regardless, I hope it has a good cast.

• DanielleZ says:

On second thought, Harrelson and McConaughey are Texans so I don’t think they’d work for The Alienist but I’m anxious to see who is cast.

16. dp says:

Really enjoyed the Alienist novel, that could be promising especially with Fukunaga.

17. tsevca says:

Will looks interesting.

18. Sue Rollins says:

How about Linus Roache in the starring role in “the Alienest?”