Fall TV Preview

Peter MacNicol Leaving CSI: Cyber

Peter MacNicol CSI Cyber

Peter MacNicol is signing off from CSI: Cyber.

The actor, who plays FBI Assistant Deputy Director Simon Sifter on the CBS procedural, will not return for its sophomore run.

Though details of MacNicol’s departure are unclear, our sister site Deadline attributes his exit to creative reasons.

As TVLine previously reported, CSI star Ted Danson will bring his character, D.B. Russell, to the Cyber spinoff this fall.

As for the mothership series, it will wrap its 15-year run with a special movie event on Sunday, Sept. 27, which will include original cast members William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger.

Your thoughts on MacNicol’s exit? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

• sanchopanza says:

Me too. It was nice getting to see him again. I was just thinking how individual he is in all his characters. Too bad.

1. JJM says:

Obviously to make room for Ted Danson.
    I think they’d have pushed Patricia Arquette out too for Elizabeth Shue if it wouldn’t have just ruined the show altogether.

2. yankeesrj12 says:

Good. I think his character on CSI: Cyber was the worst.

3. Daisy says:

Meh. He’s done much better work on much better shows. This may be good news for him.

4. Helen says:

Aw, that is too bad. I liked him. Especially in his scenes with Raven.
    Maybe D.B. will take over Sifter’s responsibilities (or at least in part?).

5. Basically he’s leaving so Ted Danson’s character can take over.

6. Moria says:

Ah I knew someone had to be leaving after the addition of Ted Danson & rumors of retooling things. Didn’t watch the first season because I can not stand Patricia A., plus then so many said the show itself was terrible & the technology laughably out of date. But I figure Ted D will be playing his character DB from regular CSI and if they fix they writing, I’m very tempted to overcome my Patricia hatred and give the show a try.

• Temperance says:

The tech stuff wasn’t too bad, but PA is awful here. Awful. Poor James VanDerBeek – he’s been on such a role, and he’s doing great with what he’s given here, but there isn’t much help.

• Diana Miles says:

She’s sooo awesome!!!

7. Mandie says:

I KNEW somebody wouldn’t be coming back next season, and I had a sneaky suspicion that that somebody was MacNichol. Damn.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Great to see Peter MacNicol getting the pink slip but Ted Danson should be a good replacement for Mr. MacNicol.

9. Whatevah says:

I’m so happy that Ted Danson is coming over…YAY

10. The Grinch says:

I will retry this show ONCE just because Ted Danson is joining the cast and I liked his character on the mother ship. This show was so bad that I was shocked it got renewed. It was so corny and wooden that it came across like a CSI parody.

• Fido says:

While I agree it is not great, I will watch it when there is nothing else on. It IS defn not a rewatchable show.

11. ChicagoDan says:

Just like Kim Delaney on Miami, Peter’s character wasn’t necessary at all. Avery doesn’t need a boss. TD will be a solid addition. They should also work in more of the ‘real’ Avery – Mary Aiken – the inspiration for the series and her real work. PA was pretty effective doing that same thing for Medium. James Van Der Beek is the real deal here. Beef up his role.

12. rusty says:

I also was very surprised the show was renewed. I watched a couple of episode to see how it went. My god the scripts were written by a 14 year old. Way too much fantasy of how real computer folks work. The sets were so unrealistic. Trying to make it seem futuristic, but it came across as laughable. The FBI wishes they had the capabilities of the show. Totally unbelievable. They also have a hyper-speed helicopter that gets them from DC to Miami in less than two hours. Their idea of hackers and the capabilities they have are sci-fi at its worst.

• Erika says:

Loved your analogy and I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Had it not been for my love for Peter, I would have quit watching this lame show after the first episode.

13. fatalsin says:

i love this show and hate TD… i hope he doesnt ruin it for me… he is why i stopped watching csi

14. Gayle says:

It’s ok that Peter is leaving as he didn’t really add to the show. Do hope you will find a place for Ted Danson as he was good on CSI. Will miss CSI as we have watched it from the start. Looking forward to the movie.

15. rainey13 says:

Like MacNicol, can’t stand Danson. I quit watching CSI when Danson came in, guess I’ll drop Cyber going forward. (No great loss, it was kind of on my personal bubble anyway – this news just popped that bubble.)

• arial2 says:

Oops. Sorry you left so soon because Ted Danson turned out to be a really good fit in CSI. I wasn’t sure when I heard about him coming to CSI, but was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, they’ll find a way to work him into Cyber believably because I don’t remember DB having super computer skills. Maybe a third element, doing the physical CSI stuff like in the original three shows.

• Donna says:

I totally agree. Just ruined another show for me. Never liked ted danson or marge helgenburg. To bad I liked CSI cyber

16. empp says:

I am not sure I will continue with this show without Peter MacNicol. He was the main reason I decided to watch the show in the first place. I have followed him since his amazing run in Ally McBeal. He was also great in Numbers. I hope he moves on to a great show that will really utilize his talents.

• Cathy Toms says:

Thank you empp, for taking the words out of my mouth. Like any company that has field reps, someone has to hold down the fort and run interference for their crew. Peter’s character was exactly that and more. I will miss his character, but doesn’t mean that his influence will be forgotten.

• Temperance says:

He barely had any lines: he complained about the upper management, and played the tech dummy for exposition. I’d not waste my time doing that either.

• Deb says:

I agree. Biscuit was a great character. Never watched numbers …

17. amysue4772 says:

Damn, I love him. I really hope this wasn’t CBS going oh well we’re bringing Ted Danson over from CSI, so don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

18. zackkattackk843 says:

I am so happy

19. Britt says:

I hope to see him soon somewhere in a bigger role.
    Although I’d watch him in just about anything.

20. DB says:

Well – he was the one reason I was watching and hoping it would improve…

21. dman6015 says:

Well, perhaps Danson is joining the show because MacNicol had already decided to leave…nah.

22. matty says:

He was one of the few good things about Cyber. I’d say keep Arquette, Van Der Beek and fire everybody else. Everybody else stinks…

• Temperance says:

They could keep MacNichol and Beek (and perhaps the new guy) and reboot thr rest in a way that makes some sense.

23. SoFla says:

That sucks. I really like him, always have and was happy to see him on tv and in a show that I watched. Will miss him. Hope he lands elsewhere and soon.

24. Starmaiden says:

will not be watching. He was the olny readon I watched

25. stormsurger says:

Peter is good in everything he does but I understand the Danson move. Now if CSI: Cyber would only stop cutting the video like a hip-hop video it might be watchable. 2 second cuts don’t make it in this genre.

26. buc says:

i know…he will join calista flockheart in supergirl with their new unisex bathrooms at the office…

27. It seem’s he does not like to stay long on a show. To bad.

28. Nitemar says:

I agree the show needs major changes to make it more watchable for me,, but letting MacNicol go is not one of them, and neither is T Danson.

29. J.Norman says:

“Creative reasons?”

Isn’t that moviespeak for “this guy (girl) is a (bastard, bitch, etc) on the set we want to get rid of them?

Hasn’t Peter McNicol had problems like this in the past?

30. DavidSask says:

He is too good of an actor for this anyway, let Ted take over this crapfest. Patricia must be making bank to stay!

31. smh says:

He must think he is better than the others. I like the actor, but not his dropping out of
    shows if he does not get his way.

32. I have always liked Peter McNichol – very good with comedy and of course there was Ghost Busters, etc.. However, so far his part on this show wasn’t well written – he would appear for a minute and then disappear. I like Patricia Arquette, but sometimes the show just drags – they need to improve the writing or it will fade away quickly.
    The death of CSI was brought on by dropping good characters, and poor casting of replacements. Elizabeth Shue never fit.

33. Regina Patrick says:

Ted Danson finished off CSI so now he will go over to this show and kill it also.

34. MilfHunter says:

I’d bang Ms. A, would you?

35. Nancy Anne says:

I am sorry that Peter MacNichol is leaving, but they never wrote a good part or character for him and really limited what he was able to do with the material he was given.
    On the other hand, I think Ted Danson is the milk toast that ruined CSI, and now they are moving him to CSI:Cyber? What a poor decision. It already could be much stronger with more range for Patricia Arquette and development of a more cohesive team “family”. So….there are other things to watch. Cyber was interesting but this next season will be a flop. Sad, but true….

36. Temperance says:

LOL! Creative reasons which including the show is terrible (aside from the Beek). From the intro on out, Arquette is deeply awful (and she’s the lead). I’d have cut and run, too.

37. Gwenna says:

I’ve always liked Peter MacNicol and feel he is wasted in this show. Remember…the old
    cliche Pete…When one door closes another opens. Say farewell to this BLAH show…
    Better things await you.

38. Eran says:

Ooh! Could we have him back on Grey’s Anatomy, then? What few guest star stints he did have, he planted the seeds to what could develop into a very interesting, complicated character.

39. Pat says:

I am so sorry that he is leaving. I really liked his character. As for Patricia Arquette, some do not like her but I for one, love her character. I see her as a strong no-nonsense woman. I love how she handles the young ones on their team. She really does care about them and when she calls them out on mistakes they have made, I see it as more of a guidance for them to learn from their mistakes. She does not want to see them revert back to their other lives which could have landed them in jail. I am glad to see Ted Danson is coming to the show.

40. Jake says:

I don’t recall ever liking any of Arquette’s work, she really can’t act, but the bigger question, what’s up with her teeth? Aren’t they paying her enough to get that snaggle-tooth look fixed?
    Ugh, it’s all I can think of when she on camera.

41. Deb says:

MacNichol can do much better work with a better role, which I hope he finds soon.

I understand with all the hype of “Oscar winner!” they couldn’t kill off Patricia A’s character, but yikes, what a wooden character. We were shocked that the show was renewed at all – something has to be done to make her more human. Unfortunately, the ending to this week’s show where she demands that everyone start to play a game in order to celebrate closing a case, was like Godzilla demanding that everyone have a picnic after he destroyed Tokyo. (Her suddenly smiling and laughing made it seem like she’d gone over the edge.) It was less plausible than the time transporter helicopter they use to ignore the laws of physics – “Wait a minute, how did they get to Tampa from DC while the guy was still in the library?!”

42. Wow, what drugs are you all on?? PA is brilliant!! I hated all CSI until Cyber. Now I’m giving the others a look too.

43. CSI Cyber Fan says:

Keep him from Leaving, I stopped watching CSI because Ted Danson ruined the show. He will destroy this show as well.

44. Lorie says:

Bummer! That’s too bad. I liked him on Cyber. When I read that Ted Danson would join the show in S2, I was wondering if that meant someone was leaving.

45. Grey says:

Peter MacNicol is a smart man. ;-D

46. Nick says:

“Peter MacNicol is leaving CSI: Cyber to dedicate his full efforts to serving his master, Vigo”- how I read this in my head.

47. Erika says:

Why? The show is only mildly interesting and the reason I continued watching it was Patricia and Peter! Boo to whoever had creative differences with Peter. He is a very talented ans skilled actor. His character was interesting and I was thrilled to see him play a good part after having missed his presence on-air since Numbers folded. Now they are replacing this excellent and talented actor with a mediocre talent like Ted Danson? Unbelievable but totally true to the decline of most of the really good television shows that used to be on air. Now its soap-opera-quality, over-dramatized, low-on-good-plot and high-on-dull formula television. I’m slowly watching less and less of any of the television dramas now being offered. So once again, another show I did watch is on my who cares to watch list.

48. Doe says:

That’s too bad, he seemed to be a good fit as the practical lead for the rest of the super cyber geniuses. I like Ted Danson a lot, hopefully he fits in with the crew. It’s a good show so far, we’ll see where the 2nd season takes us.

49. Diana Miles says:

Peter is fantastic in CSI Cyber….really disapointined he’s leaving!!!!!