Exclusive

Arrow Sneak Peek: The Team Escapes Death — But Can They Trust Oliver?

Loading video...

“Oliver tried to kill us!”

Those are the first words out of Felicity’s mouth on tonight’s Arrow finale, when the gang wakes up from what they thought was a lethal gas poisoning, in this exclusive sneak peek.

Between coughing fits, Malcolm tries to plead Oliver’s case (bet you never thought you’d see that day!), but Laurel and Dig, especially, are hesitant to trust their former friend, not to mention their frenemy. And for Ray, the question remains: “Why aren’t we dead?”

Press PLAY above to watch the sneak peek from tonight’s season ender (The CW, 8/7c), then hit the comments with your thoughts on Oliver and Malcolm’s master plan (B).

1. Trish says:

Diggle and Felicity are rightfully going to be pissed. I love it. I love the Original Team Arrow focus of these last couple of episodes. They get to be angry, and Oliver gets to have a chance to explain his side. But this is a big deal what he did to Diggle’s family. Not something that will be healed easily between the two. But I think this has the potential to be a good story between the two of them. Diggle and Oliver scenes are always compelling. And I have no clue how Oliver is going to make this right with Felicity. But Olicity has that ability to draw me into the story and see both sides. I’m actually looking forward to tonight.

• Bellessima says:

Thank goodness! Someone who realizes what a crappy thing Oliver did to Diggle! Everyone else seems to be shoving it under the rug and justifying it by saying ‘oh, well, the team lied to him about Roy’ but that’s not even close to the same.

Roy made the choice to take the risk he did. Lyla didn’t. And nobody’s baby got left unattended for who only knows how long before Diggle got there. As far as Oliver’s plans go, that was pretty stupid. But very Oliver, because he doesn’t think things through for crap.

I know I’m not going to get my wish, but I honestly think Oliver should be forced to earn back their trust. I’m really afraid Felicity’s going to forgive him and honestly, he shouldn’t. It was one thing to use her as a pawn last season, but she went along with it and chose to help him. This time, her initial choice was ‘no’ and Tatsu talked her into it. He needs to prove he’s more than just Oliver Queen, because Oliver Queen was a dick. He needs to prove he’s Oliver Queen 2.0 – the guy who actually deserves a woman like Felicity.

Honestly, the whole, ‘I choose whether we have a relationship’ and ‘everything goes according to my plan’ is turning him into 50 Shades of Oliver Gra– I mean, Queen. I just want him to go back to the guy who was actually trying to be a real hero and earn their faith and trust.

• kath says:

I’m with you that I’m worried that Felicity is going to forgive him. Using her as a pawn in the Slade situation was bad enough but now that’s pretty much what he’s been doing all season, making all the decisions alone and not giving her any say.
        The marriage to Nyssa was nothing; it’s Oliver’s attitude that’s really breaking Olicity.

• Maria says:

I totally agree with you on this. Oliver really screwed up in not trusting his team. I DO NOT think any of them should be quick to forgive. I know there will be repercussions on Digs side of things because Oliver crossed a line and a VERY BIG line it was. You do not put a friend’s family in danger. Felicity should not roll over an play dead for him either. He made them believe that he was going to let them die and he married Nyssa. Now granted, that was forced but there are just too many variables that should not be let go. I want The Original Team Arrow together again because the show was at its finest when thee three worked together as a team but I am not expecting that in light of all that Oliver has done.
        It is going to disappoint me if everything is forgiven after 42 minutes, but if things are being written as a series finale and the end of an arc, I do not think they will be mad too long. At least Dig gets a punch in…The team should be able to line up for that. I love Oliver like the rest of you but this is unforgivable and should not be swept under the rug..

• BBussey says:

Actually, while Felicity will forgive Oliver at some point (either tonight or early in Season 4), I hope this experience combined with his marriage to Nyssa (how ever long it lasts before it is annulled) puts an end to Olicity as a couple. Felicity’s behavior/actions (and her portrayal by EBR) have been far better and more true to character on Flash this year than on Arrow. The constant lashing-out and scream-crying that exemplifies the character’s behavior this year became tiring many episodes ago. Yes, Oliver/Felicity and their portrayers have chemistry, but it’s been totally abused this season.

• John NYC says:

“how ever long it lasts before it is annulled” Because a marriage presided over by some woman and The Head of The Demon is so legally binding in Starling City?

Oliver has problems, not least of which is Nyssa AND Felicity: but that “marriage” isn’t one of them that I can see. And as others mentioned, his immediate instinct to NEVER confide in anyone on his supposed “team” has just gotten to be SO old for them by now.

The message is being sent he really doesn’t trust any of them, whatever he sometimes speechafies. Time after time he barks out a demand or just goes off and does whatever. Not his finest character facet.

• Artarita says:

Amen

• Bellessima says:

Oh, and can I add: nice situation to set up between DIggle and Lyla. Lyla’s got every right to ask that Diggle stop hanging with someone who thinks so little of his family’s safety, so basically, Oliver has put him in a position between choosing his family’s safety or his loyalty to the guy who stabbed him in the back.

Not cool, Oliver, not cool in the slightest.

• kath says:

Well said.

Oliver making decisions all on his own this season, and making very stupid ones at that, needs to have repercussions. It can’t all be just waved away with “I was trying to do my best.” “Oh, that’s okay then.”
      It looks like Diggle will continue to be angry, as he should.
      But if Felicity forgives everything because she loves him, I will be very pissed off.

• Kathleen says:

Me too.

2. Georgia Madman says:

Who, hoo. Looking forward to it. I wonder why Malcolm became Oliver’s “go to” guy?

3. Georgia Madman says:

I think Lyla was in on her kidnapping. I think Oliver’s working with Argus through Lyla or Waller. That’s how he knew that Ras had the Alpha/Omega.

• Russia says:

I agree, I think Lyla was in on it. Surely, Oliver isn’t dumb enough to actually kidnap Digg’s wife just to trick Ra’s. As for Argus, I thought Lyla quit after the whole politician hostage situation fiasco.

• Bellessima says:

There’s no way Lyla was in on it and left her child alone. No. Way. In. The. World. If she was in on it, she wouldn’t have grabbed the guns, either, because she would have known that it would have put everyone in danger. She would have gone along with it to get Nyssa back to Oliver and gone back with them, period. There would have been no reason for her to risk everyone with another fight.

4. Azerty says:

This is very bad writing in my opinion. One minute Felicity fully trust Oliver and then she thinks he tried to kill them? Two minutes earlier she learnt that Ollie is undercover, then he asks them to trust him, she does wake up not dead but still her first words are “Oliver tried to kill us”? I understand Diggle has every right to be upset about Lyla’s kidnapping but come on now that you know he is faking it and that you are not dead Diggle and Felicity need/ used to be smarter than that!

5. Drew says:

Why would they think that Oliver tried to kill them? It makes no sense.
    But that’s the problem with this whole season. They keep making up drama that doesn’t make sense and doesn’t come naturally. They want twists and shocks and whatever, but none of it is actually good. I would have rather seen a season of the Brick plot than what we’ve had. None of the characters are acting right and it’s getting frustrating.
    Also, why did they bring Malcolm back? They never explained how he lived after the season 1 finale, did they? And was it worth sacrificing the power of that finale to have him here? He’s not really adding much. There were other ways to get Thea to where she is now.

• kath says:

I’m pretty sure that Malcolm’s return is about getting Oliver into the LoA plotline, not about Thea. She was just the way in, with the bonus of getting her to be Speedy.
      Why would Felicity and Diggle trust Oliver now? All season he’s been making stupid decisions and when they want to talk about it, he shuts them out. Why should they trust him now? Because the sociopathic, lying Malcolm Merlyn says so?

• Drew says:

I don’t care if they trust Oliver or not. But they’re idiots if they think that he tried to kill them, because they obviously weren’t exposed to the virus. If he wanted them dead, he would be dead. He keeps saying that he’s undercover and does things to help them, and they’re acting as though he is obviously trying to kill them. They can distrust him all they want or be mad at him all they want, but they’re overlooking the very obvious facts for no reason other than creating drama.
        I hope that this lasts though. This season destroyed the Felicity character and the dynamic between Oliver, Felicity and Diggle. It would be hard to fix the damage done by the writers, so maybe the best option is to not fix it at all.
        As for Malcolm, I still say that there’s no point in his resurrection. Maseo could have gotten Oliver into the League. Thea could have turned into Speedy some other way (training with Tatsu would have been cool). Malcolm should never have been brought back. It only damaged the season 1 finale and made me wonder how incompetent Oliver and Diggle are to think he’s dead and not make sure of it.

• kath says:

Oliver doesn’t “keep saying” he’s undercover; he told Diggle once. In Nanda Parbat when Diggle was furious at him for kidnapping Lyla. Everything else he’s done or said has been information that he is brainwashed and that Oliver Queen is gone.

It would be have been so much easier to believe him if he had in fact actually told Diggle and Felicity that he was going undercover before he did it instead of expecting them to trust him on Malcolm Merlyn’s word. But that’s been the theme of season 3, Oliver making stupid mistakes that lead to bad consequences.

• Drew says:

And yet he obviously didn’t try to kill them, so why would they think he did?

• kath says:

As they were losing consciousness, they thought that Oliver had signed off on Ra’s killing them. As they regained consciousness, the first words were “Oliver tried to kill us”. For all they knew at the time, he had tried to kill them and the virus didn’t work.

More absurd was everyone regaining consciousness at the same time. Diggle and Ray, with their larger muscle mass, should have regained consciousness long before Felicity and Laurel.

• John NYC says:

Maseo, while he saved Oliver, was really in thrall to Ra’s: that was solidly established when he thanked Tatsu for his death, so he’d never have acted in total opposition to the League as Malcolm would.

• Drew says:

They would have had to write the season differently for sure, to set up a story where Maseo fills that role. However, writing the season differently could only have helped things.

6. GildedRose says:

I absolutely love that Oliver/Felicity/Diggle have moved back into the forefront with the team focus. I’ve missed their relationships — the friendships, the partnerships, etc — that exist between the trio. It’s really been lacking this season, so it’s nice to see it swing back and be corrected. I can’t wait to see the fallout Oliver’s plan brings. My poor Oliver/Diggle bromance. Fix it, Arrow! Fix it! And Oliver and Felicity… come on. After everything they’ve been through, I want to see them come together, overcome, and move forward to the next logical step in their relationship. Rooting for them all the way! I’m really enjoying the Malcolm/Felicity and Thea/Felicity scenes, so hopefully we see more of that in the finale too. Oh, and Quentin. Don’t think I forgot about him. Fix it, TV Gods, because I need a Quentin/Donna Smoak romance in season 4.

• Georgia Madman says:

Yeah I think everyone wants a SmoakinLance romance!! The possibilities for humor are endless.

7. herman1959 says:

Now that Maseo is dead and much of Arrow’s past has been explained, can we have one final flashback that explains how Oliver returned home and then go FORWARD with the story?

• Xenith says:

Not going to happen. The intro of the show says FIVE years he was “trapped on the island”. We have only potentially completed three years so…two more seasons to go at a minimum. Odds are he will somehow end up returning to the island for another year or so before he is rescued.

8. Ella says: