Reality Check: The Voice's Worst Elimination Ever? Plus: Who Will (and Should) Be American Idol's Top 2?

Don’t tell me American Idol is ending in 2016. I’m not acknowledging this crippling news ’til this afternoon (once I can pull myself out of the fetal position and pull some thoughts together for an opinion piece).

Until then, let’s forge ahead with an all new (and Jason Averett-produced) edition of Reality Check, yes?

This week, my co-host Melinda Doolittle and I ponder the worst Voice elimination in the show’s eight-season history — and wonder if coach Christina Aguilera is partially to blame.

We also tackle the penultimate week of Idol‘s 14th season — and debate who will and should make the Top 2 from the current roster of Jax, Nick Fradiani and Clark Beckham.

Press PLAY above for the full discussion, then hit the comments section with your thoughts!

1. deedee says:

Had to come here to see Michael’s reaction to the devastating news. Even though I hate this season, the thought of winters sans Idol, (and sans Michael Slezak’s take on Idol) is unfathomable. Nothing can take its place. :'(

• Lloyd says:

I’m not surprised, because it really was long time coming, but I’m still sad. Idol brought us some great moments.

• Tyler says:

It was all downhill after Simon left IMO.

• Rip Tide says:

The ball of poop started rolling downhill with the hire of Kara Dioguardi (nobody ever mentions her anymore because no one could stand her) and sped up with the hire of Ellen DeGeneres, who spent a year looking like a deer in headlights. Once upon a time a show called Let’s Make A Deal was all the rage with Monty Hall, he stepped away, it was cancelled…and today, Let’s Make A Deal is back on again. Idol one day will find a new life with a new host and judges and a new vibe somewhere…Oxygen, Lifetime, Hallmark, someplace like that.

• joey says:

I agree with you. I’d go further and say that bringing in over-paid celebrity judges instead of giving more exposure to the contestants was another nail in coffin. Also, lots of parasites showed up to further their own stalled careers to the detriment of the show.
            Idol lost its way. It lost sight of its mission, which is to let America find an undiscovered STAR. The goal should be to find a STAR. If they could achieve that consistently, they’d get the ratings. But, they concentrated on maintaining the ratings by any means possible. It failed. Find a STAR, and the ratings will follow.
            Isn’t it amazing that after 14 years the singers are still singing mini-songs of 90 seconds to 120 seconds. Dumb.
            Enjoy your 17 million dollars J Lo.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I’m surprised it got another season. I expected this to be the last.

• karenb says:

I know Deedee! This is terrible news. First glee, now Idol. My daughters and I have bonded with those shoes for years. There will be less singing in the house now haha. I refuse you watch those “other” singing shows. Well, on second thought maybe I’ll follow the voice so I can get my weekly hit of Slezak haha. Because I couldn’t handle a three way loss.

• pl says:

I predict Jax will go home next, and Clark will win it!

• AIFTW says:

Clark wins, Sleezak cries on Jax’s homely shoulders.

2. ZacheryD says:

I hear idol was canceled because of the last 2 weeks of no Jason Averett-produced Reality Checks

3. Mary says:

Oh M & M I hate to burst your bubble but knowing the demographics of this show, Jax will be the one to go this week short of the final. I have no horse in this race but Clark is hanging around – he should go but won’t. In fact I have a feeling he is the next AI, which will sink this ship more. Out of the three I hope Nick takes it all. Yes, he hasn’t rearrange a song much, but he has been the most consistence in my eyes.

• Puchinsmom says:

It would’ve been good if they’d let Nick do one of his ooriginal songs. Then we could see what he’d be like post idol. If he wins, what happens to his band? He seems to be like Daughtry, the front man for a band. Better if he comes in second or third. But I agree that he’s consistant and a hard worker. Paid his dues, time to break out. And PLUS, how cute is his Dad?

• Tyler says:

Nick should’ve tried out for the X-Factor with his band. Idol wasn’t right for him. And Mary–IMO Clark is a lot more talented than Nick as a solo artist.

• Mary says:

I think Clark has talent but I get nothing when he sings. For me he belongs in a piano bar. His lower register is weak and personally I don’t need to hear the scream on every song. To each their own. I really don’t care who wins, but I would like a viable contestant that might get a little recognition. I would like to see AI to go out on a high note and sorry I don’t think Clark if he wins will be that person. Time will tell.

• pat says:

I agree he is blah and never takes the judges suggestions like to move around more, connect with the band etc. I hope Nick wins

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

You are probably right. M & M always forget that AI is a popularity contest, and the opinions of most voters were set in stone weeks ago. Frontrunners do not become endangered because of a bad performance. Their fans overlook that or forgive them for it, basing their votes on the entire body of work. Clark has never sniffed the bottom. Neither has Nick. AI voters love WGWG. I would be surprised to see Jax in the finale.

• McFudge says:

None of the three has ever been near the bottom…..that we know of. It’s Clark’s time to go. At first, even though I never quite “got” him, I thought, oh well, at least he’s always on key. But he’s had several sketchy performances, pitch-wise. Nick may not be into changing around cover songs, but he’s got energy to spare and lays it all out there when he sings. Give him original stuff, and who will care about how he treats covers? Nobody. Jax is tons of fun, and is, like HCJ said once, high risk, high reward, and kudos to her for that. I’m leaning Jax’s way, but I’ll be satisfied with either a Nick or a Jax win. That said, I’ve been disappointed practically every year I watch the dang show, so I guess that means Clark wins.

• tealeaves says:

The music industry is a popularity contest.

• I agree 100% I hope Nick takes it all!!!!

4. lori says:

Ok so still devastated that Kimberly Nicole is gone. She would definitely elevate the finale. I’m behind Koryn instead though. I like Sawyer, but something is missing for me there. Koryn is the whole package I think.

• m yordon says:

Koryn…really. You think she sings better than India? She basically stays within a 2 or 3 note range and screams half the time. Virtually all her songs end up sounding the same. She’s fine for a church choir, but ultimately boring. Screaming at the top of your lungs is not singing

• Annie says:

I agree BUT in general I am not a huge fan of belt it out, sing it to the rafters kind of artists. Give me someone who can sing instead of scream. Cut out all the runs that last forever and sing. It does take talent to hit the big notes but every note of every song doesn’t have to be huge. I want to love India. She has an amazing voice but it is like she is dialing it in. I don’t feel a connection between her and the song except for Over the Rainbow. That leave us with Sawyer and Joshua. Every song sounds the same no matter what it is. Sawyer, take off the hat, let your hair down even more and sing something that no one would expect you to choose.

I have to be honest and say that while there’s some great talent left, there isn’t one artist that I would pay to see in concert.

• Temperance says:

Seriously?

5. MAB says:

I guess it is time to say goodbye to American Idol but it breaks my heart. It has been my favorite show for so long I will feel like there has been a death once it’s gone.

• bobsaccamanna says:

It does seem like it’s time for the show to finally be put to rest but like you MAB, I will miss it terribly. I’ve been watching since season 1, through all the years where everyone at work would talk about it the next day, real watercooler stuff, to the last few years where no one but we idol loonies talk about it lol. In my mind those idol moments when a virtual unknown amazes everyone on national TV will always be special. Sadly , there have been fewer and fewer of those moments in recent years, Joey Cook’s Fancy , at least for me, was the only time it happened this season.

• darcy's evil twin says:

bobsaccamanna, I will miss Reality Check and talking to everyone here! But you summed it up nicely. Honestly, I think if the producers had just left it alone and not tried to manufacture a winner the show would have been much better.

• Benjamin says:

I’m agree about everything, specially about Joey’s Fancy… that was the most special and memorable performance of this season for me too.

6. Owen says:

I can’t deal with life at the moment.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Will you still come and troll all The Voice comments about how much better Idol is though, Owen? For old time’s sake?

7. Sara says:

Oh my god at Scott popping up saying Nick, Oh my god.

8. Forr mos up-to-date information you have to visit world-wide-web and
    on the web I fouund this site as a best site for hottest updates.

9. logan sweeney says:

Yes, I am one of the people who is laughing at you for leaving Clark out…Clark should win!!!! Viewers look at the whole package when they vote…Clark is the whole package…He is eye-candy as well as having the BEST voice in the contest….Jax is homely-looking and cannot sing…I do not understand your adulation of this mediocre singer with a face designed for radio..

10. Some Dude says:

Clark’s performance of “Earned It” wasn’t perfect, but afterwards, I went and listened to the original version, and thought, “Well, I can never listen to that again. Clark did it so much better.” Admittedly, Clark did seem a bit bored with it until about halfway through. The second half, though, he just killed it so hard and made it so interesting, I couldn’t really fault him too greatly for anything.

Also, sad to hear the news about American Idol. I went through a phase where every year, I’d be like, “Ugh. I just can’t dedicate time out of my life to watch this show anymore,” but because I have relatives watching, I’d always end up watching anyway. And I don’t deny that it has made for some fun conversation over the years.

• Jennilee says:

Rob from The Voice did “Earned It” this season and he was amazing. Better than Clark’s version. Hands down.

• Some Dude says:

Just watched it on YouTube. We’ll have to agree to disagree. As an overall performance, Rob’s was arguably better. But as a vocal performance, nothing rose quite to the heights of Clark’s rendition. Also–and this is just personal preference–but I like Clark’s tone better.

• Jennilee says:

We shall disagree then! I do agree that a person’s fondness for tone is subjective. For instance, I am over Sawyer’s boring, simple voice now because it all sounds the same. I loved Rob’s falsetto.

• Kathy Cochran says:

Gee, then with so many more viewers watching The Voice why is it that Clark’s version went up like a bullet on the iTunes chart while Rob’s languished and never even made it to the top 100?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Good point Kathy! I think the big difference is, and I’m sure you know this, fans watch “Idol” to see the contestants and viewers watch “The Voice” because they enjoy the banter between the judges. Granted, there are some fans that are passionate about the vocalists but I think the attraction to the program is the judges, the coaching, and the performances – while they’re happening, but not to build a long-term fan base and career.

• Jennilee says:

Actually, you’re incorrect. It did make the top 100, but that was weeks ago. Therein lies another point. Rob did this song a while ago, killed it, and now someone else is doing another song of his? FYI, Rob also did “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay”. Suspicious, suspicious. A person that watches the Voice regularly would have know both the facts that I just sited. Clark’s rendition will fall off the chart soon enough, assuming he doesn’t win idol.

• Sierra says:

Clark’s “Earned It” was — for me — the one and only “Idol moment” this entire season.

11. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I will never get over the DEVASTATING elimination of kimberly. At least she left with a bang, and will be remembered as the rocker of season 8. Now, I am completly behind Koryn and India, even though it will be an uphill battle for her. On idol, based on who takes the most risk and tries to be creative, I would give it to Jax

• Angie_Overrated says:

You and me both. I’m all in for both India and Koryn. Not that either will win, but it doesn’t mean we still can’t root for them, right?

12. JMay says:

I am going to miss you and Melinda soooo much. I hope Season 15 goes out with a bang, bang my baby shot me down.

13. kajo says:

So glad Jason is back! Lee DeWyze’s “Beautiful Day” is the gold standard for whaaat happened? Best line.

14. Jill Moy says:

Why waste so much time on JAX A$$? What is everyone listening to? She can’t sing, plain and simple! As far as The Voice, All Kim did was scream. Her voice was annoying and high pitched. Terrible tone. I always said she wasn’t good. Same with MARBLE MOUTH MIA Z! Nothing special whatsoever!

Meghan the screamer (TBOFM) needs to go as well as Josh! Sawyer sells even when he has a bad performance so he may win. HEe has no range and doesn’t connect to a song with that same emotionless look and annoying smile! AND THAT STUPID HAT!

• Simon Vivier says:

Really? You don’t like Jax? I never would have guessed!

• Jill Moy says:

SIMON,

IF JAX A$$ WINS, A VERY PROMISING SEASON AT TOP 12 WILL BE REDUCED TO THE WORST SEASON EVER WITH A LESS THAN KARAOKE SINGER WINNING!

• DG says:

You clearly have nothing better to do than complain about “screaming” (the easiest way to criticize a performance without actually criticizing anything) and the same repeated things about Jax and Mia Z over and over again (also, Mia Z’s been out for a few weeks… is there a reason you keep dwelling on her?). I’d hate to live in your world where the glass is always half-empty.

• Jill Moy says:

DG,

People on here say terrible things worse than I would ever say, plus they put down fellow persons who comment! The latter I never do. Yet, I’m the person who gets bashed. Nobody says a word to the others. I mention these singers because OTHERS keep talking about them, especially that no-talent MARBLE MOUTH MIA Z (ZOMBIE)! Excuse me if the truth hurts MOMMIE DEAREST! I promise I won’t use wire hangers anymore….please dont attack me with them!

• Emily says:

Oh my goodness.

I just realized that after Idol ends last year, I will never have to read your comments again.

Praise hallelujah. :)

15. Davey says:

I think the beginning of the end of Idol was the year that Lee DeWyse won.

16. LJ says:

Thank GOD Jason Averett is back – Please Jason, don’t take another vacation before The Voice or AI goes off again! #StillLovesRealityCheckTho

17. Debbie M. says:

Michael is right on the money about Clark in my book. I just don’t FEEL anything when he sings. I really would not like to see him win. When Scott told him he was on the fast track to playing a Holiday Inn, I thought that was a perfect analogy. At least Taylor Hicks is doing theater, not motels. I just still am mourning the evictions of Joey and Quentin. Watching the two of them perform compared to watching Clark? I could get the same excitement watching paint dry as from Clark honestly. The same with India on the Voice. Just no emotional connection at all. India truly needs to take some notes from Koryn about that aspect of performing. Kimberly being cut really did feel like a kick in the throat to me also. I really hope Pharrell will try to help her out like he did with contestants from last season. I’d buy her music in a minute. I did not like either of Joshua’s songs last week but I do enjoy his voice overall. But this season is Sawyer’s to lose. Unless Adam screws up royally, I think it’s in the bag. And I’m OK with that.

18. Furious on so many levels about Kimberly. I don’t really watch the Voice because I find it very contrived. The last time I actually watched a full season was Season 3 and Amanda and Dez were my favorites. Dez also got screwed over by Christina. He was a great soulful singer who she had singing Justin Bieber songs. Major mistake. And Amanda was robbed just like Kimberly and probably for the same reason (polarizing rocker black girl?).

As for Idol. I’m hoping for a Clark/Jax finale. For Michael, emotion might be key, but for me it’s risk taking. One of the best finales we’ve ever had was Adam/Kris. Why? Because both of them took their own types of risks. Nick has never, ever done that for him. Does he turn in decent performances every week? Sure. I for one prefer when he sings without his guitar (What Hurts the Most, Back Home, Only the Good Die Young, Man in the Mirror… all without his guitar. Surprise), but I just can’t handle a show that preaches about “artistry” having someone as boring as Nick win.

19. Donn-Paul says:

Michael, you are so wonderful. Your impression of the Dowager Countess @ 1:35 – 1:41 is so dead on. Even the crack in your voice, “How, What, Who, When, Where and Why? All these Ques-tions” with arms a-flailing. Brava!!!!!!!

20. Kathy Cochran says:

I can now put into perspective, your comments about Clark Beckham’s lack of emoting. By your standards, Kimberley’s burlesque like undulating and crotch grabbing while screaming some lyrics was thrilling? You just don’t get it. That is why she was voted off. AI and The Voice are ‘family shows’. I didn’t need ’emoting’ to convince me that Carrie Underwood would be a star. I don’t need any ’emoting’ from Clark. I don’t want him to undulate. I get him without the need to see him gyrating around the stage. I hear it in his voice. The polish will come later as it did with Carrie Me thinks your views have been jaded by over exposure to the underbelly of the music world beast. P.S. Scott Borchetta was in full blown sabotage mode when he assigned that gawd awful U2 song to clear. It was so obvious, it was painful for me to watch Clark muster up enthusiasm for it.

• Tammy says:

I disagree, that U2 song should have been in Clark’s wheelhouse. A chorus he could sing his heart out on. Sorry but U2 is a perfect example of the kind of ‘modern’ songs Clark could sing if he tried. He can’t sing Otis Redding and Ray Charles forever. I am a fan of Clark’s but when he doesn’t want to sing something, it shows. So he is ’emoting’ in all the wrong ways. I honestly thought Clark would have done better with that choice.

21. Dee says:

I just don’t get it. Nick is nice and all but he’s kind of generic. He’s he’s like 2.0 Daughtry.

• JayNC says:

And Clark to me is like 2.0 Taylor Hicks.

• Jill Moy says:

DEE,

Hehappens to be the only singer who has always sang in tune! JAX A$$ is terrible (IS IT EVEN SINGING?)!

• Dee says:

I’m not a Jax fan either although she’s lovely enough. I think Clark has the gift but he’s so boring. People always think because you aren’t a fan of one them like Nick then you must be a fan of the others…not

22. Pk says:

India still being in the competition……travesty. Kim leaving……heartbreaker. Never liked India’s warbling and probably never will. I’ve gone online to watch the performances and missed the coaching and judges’ comments and honestly don’t feel like I missed anything. No regrets that I DVR’d The Originals and DWTS instead of The Voice. Cause I didn’t really miss a thing.

Just read about the cancellation next year of AI. Hate to say it but ’bout time. Lately I fast forward through most of the show, including the performances. With Caleb’s win last year Idol should have purchased a prepaid funeral plan cause a lot of people have predicted Idol’s last year for the past few seasons. I blame production for losing sight of the original premise of the show and instead giving us questionable judges with questionable tastes and motives. Remember when the judges got more camera time than the contestants? Yeah, me too.

As for this season, I predicted a Jax/Clark finale with Nick being a sleeper for the top 4 or 5. Even though I like Nick and am happy that two out of three contestants left are of legal drinking age, the fact that he made it this far shows how much excitement this season’s show has generated. For the past two years I’ve missed the finale and it’s not looking like I’ll be going out of my way to watch this year either. (Sorry not sorry that I cringe when I see a woman my age crawling around on stage shaking her booty, regardless of how good it may or may not look. We should leave some things to the under 40 crowd, twerking for instance.) Clark was my fave up until a few weeks ago but his failure to develop any kind of personality that makes my facial expression change and severe lack of memorable performances has left me not caring whether I hear him sing each week. HOWEVER, the finale won’t be the same without him because there’s a slim chance that maybe he will leave us in shock and awe of his creativity in the final minutes of the show. Or not. I was really hoping for a P2-Volcano-style performance and without delivering one by this point Clark has lost my interest. But there’s still a bigger chance of him giving a memorable performance than Nick.

23. Jennilee says:

I’m so glad that idol will not be back after next season! It is horrible! Quentin sabotaged = the end of idol for me!

Kimberly is gone because the viewers lack taste. They love Sawyer because he is simple enough for the simple-minded viewers. I’m sorry, but once Sawyer wins this season, he will disappear. Many a contestant in the past made it to #1 on iTunes (multiple times), won the whole thing, and now where are they?!

I’m just so disappointed with singing shows right now. Christina, please do not come back to the Voice in the fall so I will not be tempted to watch. I really want to skip this next season. Just give me an album already?!

• TC says:

Lennllee-do you realize that you just insulted a whole slew of Sawyer fans by calling them “simple minded” because they like his music. Talk about a misguided and ignorant comment. Simply put, music is subjective and to stereotype a whole fanbase based on their musical preference is just plain stupid. What next- all country music fans are hillbillies and classical music fans consist are pretentious, stuffy and boring???

• Jennilee says:

I do not stand corrected. What I mean by “simple-minded” viewers are those that cannot appreciate diversity, whether it be in someone’s style or color. That is the truth. Nothing original about ANY of the contestants left on The Voice, and that’s a shame.

• Cip says:

Mmmmmm…interesting that 2 of the last 5 contestants just happen to be black females

• MC says:

…and it should have been three.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL. Yes, when we can’t think of anything original to write, blame it on race, because there have never been any famous black singers in this country.

24. Lyn says:

Sawyer and Jax for the win. So sad only 1 more year of Idol. I’ll miss ya Michael and Melinda LOTS! You are both terrific in every way.

• Jill Moy says:

JAX A$$ FOR THE WIN….YEAH IN A KINDERGARTEN MUSICAL, MAYBE! Let’s hope she loses! A real mockery she’ll make of AI! THE TALK SHOW CIRCUIT WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY…..”THE WINNER WHO COULDN’T SING!”

• fmichaels says:

I have to agree with you, idol actually having a winner that couldn’t sing what a joke. I do hope she is not in the finale. Changing up songs and running around a stage shouldn’t mean you win idol. What happened to talent?

25. Marilyn says:

Miss miss Idol; will miss Michael and Melissa – both just part of my life in the spring.

26. RedInDenver says:

I don’t understand Michael and Melinda’s total SHOCK at Kimberly’s elimination. Neither of her songs were all that great (Freefallin’ and Dirty Diana). And why talk about her back bends on stage?? What does THAT have to do with anything?

I didn’t like her version of Dirty Diana at all. If you can’t top the original (which was AMAZING) then DON’T pick such an iconic song.

27. darcy's evil twin says:

My understanding is there will be one more season of Idol – Season 16 will start in January with the same judges, and yes, the reports have been a bit confusing as to when it’s actually ending.
    As always, Mr. Slezak and Melinda, you never fail to entertain me. Well, here’s my prediction, for what it’s worth. Jax will go home, Clark and Nick will be in the finale, and Clark will win.
    There, I said it.

• deedee says:

That’s what I think, too. Jax is too “love her or hate her”, and Nick is too consistently inoffensive. He’s had good performances all season, but never gave any indication that he’s capable of more. Clark has been hit or miss, and he’s relied to heavily on the oldies, but he has had moments of near-greatness, and of the two remaining men, he’s the one who still has the potential to surprise.
      So, prediction: Jax, out. Nick & Clark, F2. Clark gets the confetti shower.

• Jill Moy says:

SEASON 16? MAY BE ON THE PLANET MARS!

28. Margaret K says:

As a James Taylor and Cat Steven fan, I happen to love J. Davis! I would be perfectly happy to see him win. I am tired of overblown overdone loud in your face “dynamics”!

29. m yordon says:

Both Kimberly Nichole and India are miles ahead of the incredibly limited ranged monotone screamer corinne. I don’t get it. How can she still be in this competition. Are they all tone deaf. And they praise her like she’s Whitney Houston reincarnated. Is the “fix” on somehow regarding this girl.

30. Just listened to the 90 sec snippets of their coronation songs…I really like all three. Just like I like all 3 contestants. No clue who will be the top 2 battling it out! Mjsbigblog also has the new superstition prediction out…it’s a great read!

• Kathy Cochran says:

I hate the coronation songs as usual. They are dreadful and the winners usually hate them too. Ironically, Phil Phillips hated his song too. I hate to see the demise of the concept of AI, Once upon a time I enjoyed the good, the bad and the ugly of it. This year there was too much bad and ugly and obviously, the last straw.

31. Rtlc Church says:

The Judges on AI are horrible that why the ratings are going down.

32. Timmah says:

So they gave Clark a single called “Champion”… real subtle there, Idol.

33. pam says:

I will miss Michael and Melinda more than AI!

34. Cate says:

Welcome back, Jason. We missed you!

35. Jess says:

I saw the end of AI coming but don’t think it should end especially while The Voice will continue on. I’ve just started to watch The Voice (only b/c of Slezak) and it sucks. It’s all about the coaches who already have careers and group of people who won’t ever make it. They also eliminated their best singer last week.

As for AI I think Jax and Nick should be in the finale but it all depends on how much the south votes for Clark. I think now it’s all about voting for people’s personal favorite. That’s been the theme this season, no strong contender, and a lot of different opinions on these 3.

36. Alan Dvorkis says:

Michael says he wants to feel it yet thinks Nick deserves to move on. We listen to music a bit differently. He adds nothing to any song he has sung this entire season. He is a good singer who is the quintessential bore

37. saundra smith says:

I know that’s why i don’t like that America votes. Small town people get their whole town to vote whereas city folk don’t have that luxury. Not saying don’t deserve to stay but we all know kimberly should still be on

38. ms. h says:

Well, for those of you who think koryn Howthrone and thats spelled with a K for those of you on here making ignorant comments. Bye for the best singer on the show as for as I’m concerned. And for the ones who think holding a note is sceaming then let me just say when you learn to listen to music with your heart you just might be able to feel the difference between a real singer in apposed to someone speaking words in a soft tone. As for as aI wow they still on. Lamo!

39. AIFTW says:

Sleezak once again looking at the AI world through turd lenses.. Clark wins, Sleezak cries in his Jax pack pillowcase..

40. tealeaves says:

Someone posted that Idol should have a season like Surviver has had, where they bring back past contestants who did not win. I think that is an excellent idea!
    They can have a Hollywood Week where they invite back all contestants that made the voting rounds but did not win.
    The judges/producers can narrow it down to about 50 or more contestants who are ready to compete, and then the voting rounds can start.
    Past winners can also appear, as singing guests.
    They could also allow rounds where contestants perform their own music.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I LOVE this idea, tealeaves. It would come down to a showdown between J-Hud, Haley Reinhart, and Adam Lambert IMO. With Crystal Bowersox in a close fourth place! :-)

41. fmichaels says:

For the finale i would like to see Clark and Nick. Two of Jax’s songs were a bust to me. My Generation had way to much screech screaming and not to mention the dropping of the Flag England was totally disrespectful. Jax’s last song was so boring and poorly arranged I can’t even remember the name of it. Will she make it to the finale? probably because all the tweens are opening tons of accounts to vote for her.

42. Joe says:

I’m sorry, but Kimberly Nichole was waaaaay overdue to be eliminated! She was a good singer, but there was nothing new or different about her. She was boring; a dime a dozen…

43. Kiki says:

I love Melinda!!! Melinda, you rock, and I love your point of view. You bring out the best in Michael.

44. stormsurger says:

All the Idol Haters won’t have anything to do on Thursday morning. Thank God for that.

45. stormsurger says:

Agree with Melinda. The final is Jax/Clark and Clark wins. It wouldn’t be my pick but that is how the fans will vote.

46. Jaszy says:

American Idol has been on the air for more than half my life. Ever since I was 8 years old, I was fascinated by this show. I am going to miss it deeply. But all I have to say is that..the first winner was a female….please, let the last winner be a female!
    Ooohhh, it’s going to be soooo heartbreaking watching next season.
    But sadly, this news is kind of undermining the current season finale. I hope Nick wins! I wanted it to be JAX, but 3rd place is respectable! Love her!
    Nick, win it! Take this whole thing!