Vampire Diaries Season Finale Promo Says Goodbye (and R.I.P.?) to Elena

Nina Dobrev’s final episode of The Vampire Diaries is less than a week away, and The CW’s promo for the season finale (Thursday, 8/7c) has fans everywhere screaming the F-word: “fatality?!”

The minute-long video (below) feels more like a post-mortal tribute than a season finale preview, with key moments plucked out of Elena’s journey from Stefan to Damon and from human to vampire… and back again.

As I think back to those somber photos we posted earlier this week, I’m modifying my prediction: Now that she’s taken the cure, Elena will have to forget everyone and keep her distance to stay safe — just like Stefan told Damon he’d have to do during last night’s episode. Sad!

But enough rambling… Hit PLAY on the promo above, then watch a new trailer below — featuring actual finale footage — and drop a comment with your hopes and fears for Dobrev’s final episode.

1. Rachel says:

Goodness, shouldn’t everyone be concerned about Jo and the babies?

• Ari says:

If Jo is healed with vampire blood, does that also heal her babies? Or do they become vampire human hybrid babies? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

• Selly says:

All I see is how TVD’s USED to be a GREAT show when Stelena was together. Remember? when this show USED to have fans and was #1 and had GREAT RATINGS. Now its just the Ian show and barely has any viewers.

• Dee says:

Yes, Selly! Preach the truth.

• Alexis says:

Umm really stelena was boring dalena has passion adventure and even a little danger

• Selly says:

Really? did they? Really? Because, since Dullena got together the ratings went down to an embarrassing low. Every single episode that was billed as a “Delena, wow, hot episode” had less viewers than ANY of the cw or any network shows. People were literally watching reruns of other show instead of an episode of Delena with there, “passion adventure and even a little danger”. Truth is Stelena had it all, they had the Epic Love, sexy, hot, adventure, respect, passion, tender and sweet moments, friendship, loyalty, etc that kept viewers coming back for more. Stelena was TVD’s and had the ratings to prove it. “Delena” will always be remembered as the reason why the TVD’s hit a wall and dropped in the ratings.

• Roxy says:

I agree Alexis! I love Dalena

• sheri says:

Not me I watch and record so I can rewatch. All characters on the show have great rolls. Elena will be missed on the show.

• H says:

KILL HER!!!!!! KILL ELENA!!!

• I’m pissed that they’re doing this to Alaric AGAIN.

And yeah, Jo and the babies. When I saw those abdomen wounds, I think there’s no way they come out of it alive.

• Roxy says:

I’m sad their doing this to Rick too! He is suppose to have a happy life with Jo now! Then here bones Kai a**! I hope Bonnie gets his a**!

2. Carla Krae says:

I’m more worried about Jo. Though I’d be really surprised if they kill off yet another woman Ric has loved. She’s probably losing the babies, though. I don’t think Elena will die. They’ll want to keep it open for Nina to return on the series finale in the future.

3. Gilded Lady says:

They’ll address Jo of course, but of course the promo is going to focus on Nina’s departure.

I’m still wondering what’s going to stop Damon from taking the cure since he seems so damn gung ho about it.

• J says:

I wonder if Jo or the babies will somehow be turned into vampires. I know vampire babies sound ridiculous but this is the Vampire Diaries we are talking about. Damon might then give Alaric the cure.

• Gilded Lady says:

Doubtful. Too complicated for only one ep left where they’re going to spend a disproportionate amount of time on Elena because Nina is leaving.

Plus I don’t think Alaric or Jo would want Jo turned anyway.

• Ari says:

The cure at this point is drinking Elena’s blood, yes? She already took it so in order for Damon to be cured he would have had to drink her blood.

4. Lindsey says:

If elena has already taken the cure and dies at the wedding ,maybe they turn her to bring her back and then she takes Damon cure. Thus leaving him behind.

• Dude says:

Can you be turned back once you take the cure? Stefan kept telling Damon that once you turn, there’s no going back. I feel like if that was an option, it’d suck a lot of the dramatic tension from this plotline since Damon can just be like, “on second thought, I don’t wanna be human” and turn back.

• Todd Carter says:

ummm havent u watched the show…. if u take the cure… u CANNOT be come a vampire ever again . no magic works on your health at all, dont u remember katherine falling appart… after silas took her blood…. damon offered her blood and she puked it up and also she was affraid to even test dying with blood in her system

5. kim says:

I totally think Elena will be compelled by Damon to forget him and everything about mystic falls/vampires and she will leave!!

• S says:

That seems like the most likely. She won’t die from the attack, but it will make Damon realize that she’ll never really be safe around all them.

• rob says:

No she will die. (IF and I do stress the unlikely reality of her returning at all) The source material already has Elena being killed and returning as a human/angel hybrid or “earthly guardian”. This is the only way she could ever come back. Believe me, she will die in the finale. Caroline and Bonnie have proved time over they are more than capable of being lead lady material.

6. Josh says:

Remember what happened to Katherine, she aged rapidly and died that will happen to Damon if he’s dumb enough to take the cure.

• Lori says:

No, he won’t. I thought the same thing, but then someone reminded me that the only reason she died was that Silas sucked the cure out of her. I had totally forgotten that too!

• Jes says:

I thought they mentioned Katherine started aging because of having doppleganger blood so it turned her back to what her age would of been. In last wk or wk before Stephan said your lucky you don’t have that doppelgänger blood or you would turn out like Katherine (or something to that effect). He’s not gonna take the cure cuz once they spend 43 min having the whole “gang” watching Elena on her death bed and reminiscing back their different memories of her 6yrs he’s gonna see how vulnerable being human is and knowing he of all people can’t escape his past he would choose to stay vamp and compell her to forget Mystic Falls but he will keep an eye on her from afar incase she ever needs saving (and she always needs saving). And probably when they decide to end the series Im sure they would have her come back on the finale in a situation where he would find her in danger, save her (as a stranger) and end it with them meeting for the “1st time” and kind of bringing it full circle this time with her getting to know Damon for the 1st time, enter Elena back into the world of the supernatural! End it similar to how it all began except all in like the last 1 or 2 episodes of the series finale. I kind of hope they focus more on Alaric,Jo,Lily,Kai and the Heretics too! But they will leave us with the Heretics as next seasons “Big Bad”! I think they may make Jo miscarry, because Alaric isn’t confirmed for season 7 yet (he’s in a pilot though) and who knows if they will then even keep Jo cuZ without Elena, Alaric or witch powers what does she offer the show? So if Alaric leaves it will be cuZ Jo and babies die and he want to haul ass out of that train wreck of a town! But then again this is TVD, when you think they won’t kill someone off they do and when you expect them to, they don’t!! 6 days and counting! PS the clip sucks! Why waste so much screen time on past clips? We want new scenes! Also I really think Nina is gonna be in for a shocker when she tries to get leading lady movie roles! It’s a big jump for TV actors to make, especially CW actors. Im not saying it’s right cuz my favorite shows are all on CW, but that’s just how it is!
        Just saying I hope she’s not too proud to ask to come back if need be!

• Todd Carter says:

damon wont take the cure….. , in the books he becomes human… in a different way , thers a flower that cures vampires… by breathing it… and damon gets with bonnie in like book 4… i think the damon bonnie ship is comming soon, i thought it was gonna happen when she came back from the prison world… he really loved her i thought….after he found out elena compelled her feelings away for damon

7. I am sad about Nina Dobrev probably leaving the show. I wish the love story between Damon and Elena had gone on. If Nina Dobrev leaves because she does not get along with her co-star Ian Somerhalder, that’s too bad. They are actors, so start pretending your love is strong! But I am just guessing, I don’t know the whole story.

• Ashes says:

If you had to do the romance scenes that she has to do with him, after the relationship they had, you’d leave the show too. No to mention its probably incredibly awkward for Nikki Reed every week to hear about her new husband and his ex rolling in the hay onscreen.

• Alexis says:

I want them to get married and have kids and then they can end the series but not a minute sooner!!!!

• Nicole says:

Me too; Nikki Reed ruined everything!

8. alan says:

There’s another promo out there on the CW youtube and it looks to me that Elena is….

9. Dustin Carson says:

Sorry guys, the actor who plays Alaric isn’t coming back next year either. So, I’m guessing Jo and the babies are dead and Ric “peaces out.”

10. Nate Mayhew says:

What if the babies were to somehow merge inutero? That would strip Kai of his powers and give The Originals’ Hope a superbaby friend on this show, lol.

11. Dee says:

I don’t give a fig about Damon’s reaction. I want to see Stefan’s!

12. Stephanie says:

Hii why does Elena need to die she is the main character and if she dies it will be so sad how about she is going on a trip or go visit her brother Jeremy…

13. Zarah says:

Elena is dead 😭😭😭

14. bear191 says:

If Jo is healed with vampire blood, would that make her babies Heretics like Lilly’s clan? I can’t imagine VD continuing without Elena. Is the end near for the series?

15. RavenRoseQuue says:

LOL GUYS YOU NEED TO READ THE FREAKING BOOKS (or at least read the wiki for the books cus lol crazy stuff go down) – She dies in the books
    taking out Katherine – I am cool with her dying or leaving whatever because at least in the book Bonnie and Damon hook up after trying to get Elena
    back from the otherworld – which they kinda do . AND YES JO AND THE BABIES!! WHY ON HER FREAKING WEDDING DAY!! AHHHH sadness.

16. kim says:

what you do just let her go they don’t have to killher off

17. BrianR says:

Damon found a place in Tribeca so he should send her there to become a doctor without remembering anything about him, Mystic Falls, Vampires or anything else.

18. Alexis says:

Kye should go die in a hole if Elena dies I’m going to go down to the studio an revive her my self

19. Nicole says:

I think she’s human now, so she’ll die from the injuries. And, if so, what a super lame ending!

20. Nicole says:

i think she dies because she’s human now-super lame ending, if true!

21. Nicole says:

It looks like they’re all letting her into their thoughts so they can say goodbye…

22. zed says:

Elena has left the building!

23. kassy says:

I can’t believe Elaina dies I think she I is the heart of the show it won’t be the same without her in don’t think also what a horrible thing to do to Joe on her wedding day I love the show but there’s never a happy ending really depressing.

24. kassy says:

I hope she doesn’t die would be good if they left it open for her character to return

25. emmy says:

i knew something was going to happen to Elena since she took the cure she is gonna end up dead for sure

26. mila says:

i think Kaye have changed for real and if only bonny believed him none of this would have happened

27. Angela Phillips says:

I think you will lose a viewers if Elena dies. If Nina wants too leave the show it needs to have an open ending so she can return later. Everyone thinks she dies but doesn’t so she can leave for a while but may return in the future. Bonnie and Damon as in a previous comment would not make an exciting couple. That’s crazy.

28. Selena says:

Honestly I don’t think KI knew that jo was pregos and if he did he stabbed her right in the stomach so I think one of them will live.

29. josh says:

I am really upset because he ELena doesn’t want to be a part of the Vampire Diaries

also I do not want Damon and Bonnie to date I kind of like German and Bonnie together

30. diana says:

Elena dies in the books as a Vampire and goes to hell,Damon goes to hell to get her. Then she becomes the Angel she is by birth. If she ever does come back maybe they will use that story line and the show will be interesting again.

31. Melissa says:

Of course Elena has to die.
    What would happen if she was to live?
    Claus would compel a vampire to suck the cure out of her blood, then with her having doppelganger blood again he would use her as a personal blood bank to start making a hybrid army all over again.

32. Yesterday says:

You know a show has screwed you royally when the lead actress leaves before the end and you can barely care… like at all. I’m still here out of loyalty for what it used to be anc nothing more.

33. Sushovita says:

Hey guys Please relax …This just a series Not a Real Life…. The Producer have to make the scenario like this to make it full of craziness n curiosities… twists have to be dare .. Happy Endings n simple stories are in Comic n kids story Books ….

34. Sara says:

I really hope Elena dies. Her character is very annoying and frankly, boring!!!! Bring Katherine back. Even though she’s evil, at least there was depth to her character.