Constantine Cancelled at NBC

Constantine Ratings

Constantine fans, looks like we’re never going to find out exactly what happened on that fateful night in Newcastle: NBC has cancelled the DC Comics drama after one season.

Showrunner Daniel Cerone tweeted the news Friday:

Renewal prospects hadn’t looked good for the supernatural series since the network declined to order additional episodes in November.Constantine premiered in October to 4.3 million total viewers and a 1.4 demo rating — well below the ill-fated Dracula’s year-prior debut numbers — and its finale nabbed only 3.1 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating.

1. Katie_Mead says:

I so did not want to hear this official doom-gong.

2. alex says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3. TheDus2009 says:

sadness :(

4. Rebecca says:

You had one job NBC and you failed…..

5. allexmateash says:

Boo-hoo. One less s**ty show. Maybe they should’ve put some effort into it and not completely water-down the source material in typical network fashion. I guess any chances of a good Hellblazer adaptation are now delayed for the next 10 years thanks to this miserable travesty of a show.

• Patrick Maloney says:

How the hell could you possibly consider this show watered down in any way? The show did a great job bringing the themes and characters to the small screen.

• H says:

He was supposed to be bisexual.

• Was there anything that said he was not bisexual, I believe the writers were going to get to his sexuality later on.

• jc says:

No they were not. The showrunners even though his sexuality was a joke and said something along the lines of if the ratings turn bad in a few years they’ll make him bisexual to boost the ratings. So they just took his sexuality as one big joke.

• I saw a clip on YouTube of, let’s say a “dating” reality show. It was basically a short 30 second commercial where you see the two couples sitting together on a bed. And there was this comment someone posted 6 years ago where he said this show was anti-male bisexuality because the two girls were sitting next to each other on the bed and the men were sitting on the opposite ends of the bed. I thought that was pretty funnily ridiculous. The point is, just because they chose to focus on Constantine’s day to day struggles against supernatural evil and not his personal life in a brief 13 episode window, it doesn’t mean they’re trying to marginalize any demographic. The comic version of the character has never even had a serious relationship with a man and it wasn’t until the New 52 reboot of the DC universe way back in 2011 that they started depicting his bisexuality more often, with only a panel here and a panel there. It wasn’t until 8 years after his creation before he mentioned having a boyfriend in one line of dialogue in the 51st issue of Hellblazer (which was four years into the Hellblazer run). The show was surely uneven and I’d have bigger complaints than not enough on screen boyfriend(s) time, but had they been renewed, I think more than 13 episodes is at least a fair amount of time for what amounts to nothing more than social awareness. He ended up marrying a girl anyhow, so it’s kind moot and limited to phrases like “that bloke is hot” and “shagged him one time”.

• Temperance says:

You mean other than it was watered down. Significantly. But I liked it and was a regular watcher. It got much, MUCH better as it went along.

• TheDus2009 says:

to me it was quite a good adaptation. the three maidens episode was basically frame by frame like the orignal story (execpt obviously for the adaptations).

• Marco says:

To be fair, the changes were mostly because of NBC.

• ? says:

Yeah, it makes me cry to think how awesome a cable or, even better, proper British adaptation of Hellblazer could be. Matt Ryan was good in the title role, though.

• evoc says:

I agree with that. The actor who played Constantine was too good for the writing. The girl mumbled her way through and I rarely understood anything she said. Plus the stories just were not interesting. I saw it as a waste of talent.

6. markduell says:

And that’s why NBC is dying.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

First Dracula now Constantine. Really hope NBC should definitely have a huge hit with a Grimm lead-in.

• alex says:

the Grimm ratings aren’t exactly great anymore, I’ll be surprised if it lasts past next season.

• Patrick Maloney says:

Never mind the fact that Grimm is a boring show, which quite a feat for a show that features actual fairy tale monsters.

• Ray says:

Only difference is Dracula was very well produced and written. Constantine was laughably bad.

8. MelindaB says:

Constantine, Selfie, Forever–it’s been a bad season for one-named series that I liked.

9. boo, I really like this show.

10. Stephanie says:

No…. this is terrible :(

11. Kevin says:

How Long Would they have to shop it around to other networks

12. Kate says:

Geez, they really do need to find Grimm a good partner, Hannibal has been the closest yet.

13. James says:

…so what are the odds of it finding a new home?

14. Schatzi49 says:

I am going to be very selective about the NBC programs I watch. Just so tired of the cancellations. Shame on them.

• Ninoska says:

All the major netwroks are cancelling and renewing shows allthis week. CBS is next week so it is not just NBC.

15. DarkDefender says:

Bummer. Like the show Forever, I really liked this show even more as it evolved over the season.

• Georgia Madman says:

Same here. Today is a bad day. at least iZombie got renewed. Heard SciFy was thinking about picking it up. Although after what they did to Dresden Files I’m not holding out much hope. Maybe Matt can guest on Arrow or Flash.

• Ray says:

No, Syfy is not interested. That rumor was quashed back in February by Syfy network executive Ted A’zary.

16. Well, now I have absolutely no reason to watch NBC (literally the most useless network on television) anymore, I just wish I could like unsubscribe to the channel somehow.

17. I don’t think was the right network for this show. There’s a very good chance that every new NBC show that began in the fall of 2014 is going to be cancelled. This is the type of show that belongs on a Cable network, where they can try more things.

18. kirads09 says:

NOOO. That picture of him is how I feel right now. :(

19. Alichat says:

Bummer……I wonder what other networks they are checking out?

20. Yoko says:

NBC you suck.

21. batman says:

CW please save us!!!!!!!!!

22. James D says:

Dang it! really hope syfy picks it up or some other cable network. I think it’s better suited on cable. #SaveConstantine.

23. Ray says:

Even Syfy doesn’t want this stinker.

24. m3rcnate says:

Hope this show finds a new home, but i gotta be honest it didn’t really keep my attention. The lead female to me is very uninteresting and the CGI (angel wings, demons, etc) was fairly poor (aka NBC standards). The stories weren’t all that compelling and i wasn’t pulled in by the over-arcing plot (Constantine having lost his soul cause he killed the girl or w/e).
    I watched up to episode 6 and since then they have just sat on my DVR. Hopefully a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu or somewhere with deep pockets can pick it up and can pump some interesting life into it or something.

25. Dacia Robb says:

oh geez nbc I dunno..how about showing faith in your shows instead of putting them in fridays or cancelling episodes from the start. You wonder why some people did not even try to watch it..thats why! You made people think they were going to get cancelled before the first few episodes even aired. Heres hoping someone realizes the great potential for Constantine and picks it up. I use to love nbc but now I only watch one show on it now. Very sad!!! It woudl be nice if the CW picked it up ! I think from now on if theres a new show I want to see Ill just dvr it till I know it gets a season 2. I chanced it this season with a few shows and so far only half have been picked up AND theres been tons of shows only on season 3-5 that have been cancelled. They wonder why people dont watch and this is why!

• Arvin says:

CW won’t pick this up. iZombie can get 0.8 rating and that’s on the CW. Constantine already hit 0.8 on one of the big 4 networks. Why would they pick this up if they just pick up another show which is cheaper and has a better pilot.

26. Sign Poster says:

NBC is shooting itself in the foot, because this was the only reason I tuned into their network. Now I have no reason to turn on NBC at all.

• Ray says:

Oh yes. I’m sure they’re devastated at the loss of one consumer, presumably without a Neilson box, who only watched one show on their network.

27. Freejack says:

The show pretty much sucked. This kind of show shouldn’t even really be attempted on basic over-the-air networks, they can’t do it justice. It has to be “family friendly.”

28. Guess I’ll go back to not watching anything on NBC ever.

29. Joey Padron says:

sad the show is cancelled. it was good. hope the show will find a new home on a cable network.

30. I liked it very much, also the axed ones: battle creek, forever (liked it a lot); hope they could be rescued. They renewed some very bad ones (to my taste)

31. paula says:

boo. I liked that show. I did notice that a lot of its storylines had previously appeared on Supernatural, and at least I still have that show!

32. kenny says:

loved it

33. Lisa says:

I couldn’t believe how much I love this show. I think it may be better suited for another network. If that happens I will definitely watch. It’s a great show. Deserves another chance. Please.

34. Gerry Rivers says:

honestly i think that Netflix or SyFy should pick up the show.

35. Carla Krae says:

New home, new home, new home. Don’t give up, Hellblazers!

36. dman6015 says:

It’s not a show meant for a broadcast network. It’s gritty. It needs to have the freedom to be really gritty. Can’t get that on a broadcast network. People are saying Netflix, but I have a feeling they’ll pass, since NBC ruined the brand.

37. JAO says:

Really upset about this. The show kept improving.

38. jamesw746 says:

Say it ain’t so!!!

39. Todd Berry says:

Hellblazer issue 11. You’re welcome.

40. Innercomfort says:

It was all because they showed him smoking a few times….have to be “Politically Correct” now a days on prime time. I was shocked they even showed what they did of him smoking.

41. Heard that syfy picked it up…..

42. My husband and I loved that show. How are ratings determined? Do the networks ever ask ordinary people who watch TV?

43. Nanette says:

This is a sad day for Constantine fans I really like the crazy antics of Matt Ryan. Was really hoping that this show was saved.

44. Chris says:

#NBCSucks #SaveConstantine

45. bittickc says:

So, the Constantine and State of Affairs, the two shows I watched on NBC this year, are both canceled. Going to have to see what is on cable.

46. joe says:

I loved that show, wtf

47. Zoe says:

Damn it all to hell! (Heh.) I really liked this show.

48. denise says:

come on SYFY channel pick it up I liked this show

49. ruth says:

NOOO!! Pls let there be a second season! I love the show!

50. Sheila54 says:

It is so sad that they’re canceling Constantine. It is like once you get involved the show is shut down. This should hurt the ratings of the company’s viewing. That’s why I’m doing DVDs, Netflix or play games on my computer. NBC will be known as Nothing But Cancellations. The other TV stations do it also they need help. I don’t know who they have to grade the show it’s just CRAZY! I’m upset that the shows I get ready to watch will no longer be airing. This leave me hanging and wondering what will happen. I’m tried of finding shows that are be shut off or just not airing. What’s really going on?