Castle Finale Sneak Peek: The Bloody Truth About Hollander's Woods

Loading video...

With its Season 7 finale, ABC’s freshly renewed Castle will disclose a dark secret from Rick’s past — and TVLine has a sneak peek at his startling flashback.

In the episode “Hollander’s Woods,” a woman found dead after being chased through the woods draws Castle back to a terrifying and defining event in his childhood — one which he until now has kept almost entirely to himself.

Rick’s investigation leads to obsession, as he attempts to unearth answers that have eluded him for decades. Meanwhile, Beckett faces a crossroads of her own.

Press play above — watching and listening verrry carefully — to get a taste of what event haunted young Rick and ultimately steered him on the path toward being a writer of mysteries.

1. Matthew Weber says:

Is it just me or does that sound like a straight to DVD horror flick?

I love this show, but they have truly bungled Rick Castle’s backstory and disappearance. This season was supposed to be about learning more about him, and we’ve only heard about it three or four times. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some excellent episodes, but there have also been duds.

Something tells me Beckett’s story line is going to be much more important to the show’s future than whatever Rick saw in those woods when he was 11 years old.

• lame says:

Have to agree, team MarLowe seem incapable of writing a compelling RC back story. Probably years of writing about KB has rendered them clueless.

• CastleBuzz says:

I agree too. Seems to me they just couldn’t settle on one theme and instead threw everything at us. Such a contrast with the focus of Beckett’s backstory, her mother’s murder. Everything about her linked back to that. For Castle, it’s the single mother, the absent CIA father who has apparently nothing to do with the CIA-involved disappearance, the mob connections from book research, and now a scary childhood event. A mishmash…

2. Jim says:

Definitely not New Hampshire in February…

3. Missy says:

Close enough to the story he gave Beckett in season two’s ‘Vampire Weekend’.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

With Castle renewing for a Season Eight, the million dollar question remains: will Stana Katic may or may not be back for the upcoming season if she signs on?

5. smartysenior says:

When the show is lighthearted and fun as the last two episodes have been it is one of my favorite shows ever. Then, for some reason they become another show altogether with Beckett’s whole Mother thing, Castle disappearing and now this. I’ve learned to read the recaps first and just avoid the dark depressing episodes. I just can’t imagine what they are thinking to put such weirdly different stories into a fun show!

• lame says:

And there’s the conundrum. The number show on TV manages to do both within the story.. The difference being they take two or three episodes to tell a good complex story.

• Mary says:

I, for once, like the lighthearted and fun, but LOVE the dark ones! IMO, that´s when the episodes are more serious that everyone, particulary NF/SK, bring their “A” game – and I think the show is a good example of mixing dark with fun.

• Nancy says:

I totally agree with you. The light-hearted ones are the best! I am really looking forward to season 8. If Stana doesn’t come back, I think that Nathan Fillion can carry the show, with that great cast to back him up.

• Jess says:

Except I heard neither Seamus or Jon have renewed contracts either. Personally, I don’t think he could carry the show without Stana. It’s not what they’ve worked towards for 7 seasons. It’s a completely different show.

6. DarkDefender says:

Wow. This is gonna be really awesome or a total let down after that build up. In a moment of optimism (and the season 8 renewal) I’m gonna go with awesome. Can’t wait to see it.

7. CastleFan says:

I definitely prefer the darker episodes over the goofy or comedic ones. Rick just ends up being seen as inept and childish. The sway between both types makes it hard to put weight onto the serious aspects when they do happen. Thankful Castle has a Season 8 and I’m hoping someone can breathe new life into the storylines. I for one think the show can continue on if Stana signs. There is no reason to go into Season 8 thinking it has to be the last one if fresh ideas can be put on the table. So here’s to a awesome Season 8, Badass Beckett and much more Castle to come.

8. Emily says:

This being the last show that I still actually watch, the rest being stupidly cancelled *cough* Forever *cough* or doing something that makes me not want to watch (looking at you Grey’s), I’m excited for this episode, it looks a bit cheesy, but in the way the makes Castle such a great show

9. N says:

Glad it was renewed

10. Seamus and Jon – have they signed on again? I LOVE those 2. They are as much a part of the show as the 2 main characters.

11. lame says:

I hope they don’t screw it up. I hope this is a thoroughly complete story and not another 3 card Month stunt.